The Political Compass Thread

bolverk

chart?ec=-1.5&soc=-3.38

I was pretty conflicted about some of my answers.  There was frequently a word or two in the questions that kind of wtf'ed me.

Also may not have answered "strongly agree" (or disagree) enough.  I'm out on fanaticism, so there's that.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

chart?ec=-1.5&soc=-3.38

I was pretty conflicted about some of my answers.  There was frequently a word or two in the questions that kind of wtf'ed me.

Same. The "sometimes" or "always" questions made me reflect a bit on my answers.

lol, right on top of Bernie.

spacer.png

(if anyone's wondering, scroll down to the "certificate" section to get the caricature grid)

I'd be really interesting to see where all of the current candidates sit on this grid. Also, look at where Hillary is..

Edited by BradInATX
  • Like 1

"Some people are naturally unlucky" is an example of a question that is... I'll say I think that my answer of "yes" has absolutely nothing to do with my social or economic access and more to do with some people being less fortunate and some people who catch seriously bad breaks in a way that doesn't even out over the course of their lives.  Maybe naturally is the key word, when "chaotically" would be more accurate.

I shut the tab, but further south than left, a bit to the right of bolverk.  But there were a lot of questions that I think the quiz interprets differently than it should.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

"Some people are naturally unlucky" is an example of a question that is... I'll say I think that my answer of "yes" has absolutely nothing to do with my social or economic access and more to do with some people being less fortunate and some people who catch seriously bad breaks in a way that doesn't even out over the course of their lives.  Maybe naturally is the key word, when "chaotically" would be more accurate.

I shut the tab, but further south than left, a bit to the right of bolverk.  But there were a lot of questions that I think the quiz interprets differently than it should.

Yes the word naturally made me go with strongly disagree. Without that word then, sure.

23 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

This reminds me of when corporations started making ethics a mandatory training course after Enron. The first time I took one of those mandatory courses, I objected to the questions and ended up writing a diatribe to HR on the categorical imperative as an explanation why I refused to take the training.

7 hours ago, bolverk said:

It's been a couple years (since the other site) that we've posted results on this quiz. Let's see where the Surly collective falls.

My results:

chart.png

https://www.politicalcompass.org/test

howdy neighbor

chart?ec=-5.75&soc=-6.77

i always hate the unemployment vs inflation question.  they're related phenomena!

Edited by elfenix

10 hours ago, workswithseed said:

Wow, I feel like the odd one out.

No worries. Conservative Republicans have abandoned this board, but your falling below the Authoritarian line means you're in the go-along, get-along camp.

CONGRATS, YOU'RE A TEXAN!

10 hours ago, workswithseed said:

Cause I'm libertarian right, or dumb, or both.

10 hours ago, Incredulity said:

I got Libertarian Right as well.

You’re  surpised by the groups scores, really?

This is the part that always puzzles me. Contemporary Republicans, as a whole, typically fall squarely within the blue quadrant -- usually near the top of the authoritarian scale.

By default, y'all identify more with Republicans but you see here that us progressive liberals tend to be very "libertarian" on personal freedoms (just look at how low we fall in the green square).

And yet y'all vote for "blue square" candidates who run counter to your core beliefs on libertarian values regarding personal freedoms, i.e. civil rights.

Is it really the tax side (right/left spectrum on the grid) that matters more to you in the end when choosing a candidate or is it just habit?

I was raised as a Republican and, believe me, it took a lot to break out of that conventional mold and declare to my family (especially father) and friends that I couldn't just fall in line and vote, by default, for R candidates like the rest of the flock.

It was the personal freedoms blow that first created the crack that forced me to rethink my walled-in support for Republicans. Coursework in economics eventually shifted my views to the left on the money/taxes side.

Respectfully, I would think your beliefs in civil rights might lead you to also reconsider your options at the ballot box. Would you prefer to be associated with the Libertarian Left or the Authoritarian Right?

Edited by bolverk
  • Like 3

29 minutes ago, bolverk said:

No worries. Conservative Republicans have abandoned this board, but your falling below the Authoritarian line means you're in the go-along, get-along camp.

CONGRATS, YOU'RE A TEXAN!

This is the part that always puzzles me. Contemporary Republicans, as a whole, typically fall squarely within the blue quadrant -- usually near the top of the authoritarian scale.

By default, y'all identify more with Republicans but you see here that us progressive liberals tend to be very "libertarian" on personal freedoms (just look at how low we fall in the green square).

And yet y'all vote for "blue square" candidates who run counter to your core beliefs on libertarian values regarding personal freedoms, i.e. civil rights.

Is it really the tax side (right/left spectrum on the grid) that matters more to you in the end when choosing a candidate or is it just habit?

I was raised as a Republican and, believe me, it took a lot to break out of that conventional mold and declare to my family (especially father) and friends that I couldn't just fall in line and vote, by default, for R candidates like the rest of the flock.

It was the personal freedoms blow that first created the crack that forced me to rethink my walled-in support for Republicans. Coursework in economics eventually shifted my views to the left on the money/taxes side.

Respectfully, I would think your beliefs in civil rights might lead you to also reconsider your options at the ballot box. Would you prefer to be associated with the Libertarian Left or the Authoritarian Right?

No, its more the “Evil Corporations/Government will save us” trope.