The Political Compass Thread

bolverk

51 minutes ago, cactusflinthead said:

Pew: Solid Liberal 

Political Scales: Equality. Humanity. Work.

52% Constructivism 

71% Rehabilitative Justice 

74% Progression

67% Internationalism

45% Capitalism 

55% Regulationism

43% Ecology 

43% Reformism

Edited by bolverk
Definitely Euro
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Oh people here are going to shit Twinkies over this.  Though in fairness there were probably five or six questions where my preferred answer would have been "sometimes" but that wasn't a choice.

Economic Left/Right: -0.25
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.31

spacer.png

Edited by EMAWesome

14 hours ago, BradInATX said:

lol, right on top of Bernie.

spacer.png

(if anyone's wondering, scroll down to the "certificate" section to get the caricature grid)

I'd be really interesting to see where all of the current candidates sit on this grid. Also, look at where Hillary is..

Holy cow, I'm basically giving Jill Stein the tongue on this graph.  I must be a Russian agent.

7 minutes ago, EMAWesome said:

Oh people here are going to shit Twinkies over this.  Though in fairness there were probably five or six questions where my preferred answer would have been "sometimes" but that wasn't a choice.

spacer.png

Bad Teammate would call you a shit lib. I, however, welcome you to the Resistance, because your actual beliefs are not in alignment on specific policy issues with Republicans, Trump, nor Libertarians. Should I stop by and drop off a flag?

Putting the accuracy of this little test aside, it does highlight one of the major problems with our society. We stereotype based on an individual’s posture a few hot topics rather than viewing the person as a whole. 

Someone who takes a hard line on abortion or immigration may be very liberal in other aspects of their life but will often automatically be considered a right wing nut. On the contrary, being a supporter of abortion and unlimited immigration doesn’t automatically make someone a hardcore liberal.  

10 minutes ago, bolverk said:

Bad Teammate would call you a shit lib. I, however, welcome you to the Resistance, because your actual beliefs are not in alignment on specific policy issues with Republicans, Trump, nor Libertarians. Should I stop by and drop off a flag?

Well, some of my beliefs aren't but some also are.  I'm just in shock that according to this my political soul mate is Jill Stein.  Based on the responses I get here I was expecting Eva Braun.

28 minutes ago, EMAWesome said:

spacer.png

Why? This isnt necessarily the modern American political compass. I would imagine most of us believe in the general liberalism that followed the Enlightenment. The political compass celebrity map is off and I would imagine you view yourself as more conservative than 2019 Jill Stein.

Edited by SimonBolivar

Just now, EMAWesome said:

Well, some of my beliefs aren't but some also are.  I'm just in shock that according to this my political soul mate is Jill Stein.  Based on the responses I get here I was expecting Eva Braun.

In spite of your actual individual beliefs, your loyalty to the Trump brand of authoritarianism is a little off-putting and quizzical.

How should one accept your takes on things when you seem determined to defend the indefensible contrary to your declared personal philosophy at almost at all costs to your online persona?

That was a serious question, by the way.

• Like 1

Whatever Trump's "brand" of authoritarianism is it is nothing compared to the current Democrat party's "brand" of authoritarianism.  Trump is not campaigning on trying to force his beliefs on me.  Trump is not trying to limit my speech, my right to defend myself and my property in the way I feel is most effective.  He is not trying to limit what kind of car I can drive, what kind of home I can live in, what food I should eat or trying to determine what kind of health care and/or medical treatment I am entitled too.  He is not trying to force me to believe that people with penises are women and people with vaginas are men.  In other words he is not demanding that I conform to his opinions or expectations.  He is not giving me a reason to tell him to fuck off and keep your nose out of my life.  The Democrats in 2019 are.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, EMAWesome said:

I meant to edit my previous response, but editing time is way too short on Surly.

Here's the addendum to previous post:

Clearly, Cloak Rooms are a passionate bunch. Most of us appear to have a guiding philosophy, which sometimes aligns with a particular party. Sometimes it doesn't.

As for myself, I don't identify as a Democrat but I typically will vote for them as -- what I see -- a pragmatic alternative to the Republican Party that I've watched evolve in my adulthood from GHW Bush (when I sort of considered myself Republican in my late teens) to Trump.

The guiding philosophy of Republicans has gone from one of "stability" to "blow it all up" in that timeframe.

Again, it's puzzling to me that folks -- such as yourself -- have remained loyal to a product brand that no longer reflects your inherent values. Is the letter R that enticing?

5 minutes ago, bolverk said:

I meant to edit my previous response, but editing time is way too short on Surly.

Here's the addendum to previous post:

Clearly, Cloak Rooms are a passionate bunch. Most of us appear to have a guiding philosophy, which sometimes aligns with a particular party. Sometimes it doesn't.

As for myself, I don't identify as a Democrat but I typically will vote for them as -- what I see -- a pragmatic alternative to the Republican Party that I've watched evolve in my adulthood from GHW Bush (when I sort of considered myself Republican in my late teens) to Trump.

The guiding philosophy of Republicans has gone from one of "stability" to "blow it all up" in that timeframe.

Again, it's puzzling to me that folks -- such as yourself -- have remained loyal to a product brand that no longer reflects your inherent values. Is the letter R that enticing?

I make this post every six months or so.  I don't agree with everything the Republicans do but in general I can live with their fuck ups.  If there was a third political party whose platform was common sense and was able to actually impact American politics I would sign up in a heartbeat but there isn't.  Republicans today annoy me.  I would rather not be annoyed but I can live with it if I am.  The Democrat Party today however is so far left and loonie that many of their proposals and supposed solutions scare the piss out of me.  I can live with someone annoying me.  I can't live with constantly pissing down my leg.

11 minutes ago, EMAWesome said:

Whatever Trump's "brand" of authoritarianism is it is nothing compared to the current Democrat party's "brand" of authoritarianism.  Trump is not campaigning on trying to force his beliefs on me.  Trump is not trying to limit my speech, my right to defend myself and my property in the way I feel is most effective.  He is not trying to limit what kind of car I can drive, what kind of home I can live in, what food I should eat or trying to determine what kind of health care and/or medical treatment I am entitled too.  He is not trying to force me to believe that people with penises are women and people with vaginas are men.  In other words he is not demanding that I conform to his opinions or expectations.  He is not giving me a reason to tell him to fuck off and keep your nose out of my life.  The Democrats in 2019 are.

I get it. You feel like your under assault by an evolving society.

As you can see from my results, I'm fairly aligned with leftist-libertarian positions. When have I, or others on this board, told you that you MUST do any of those things?

I think you've got mommy issues and have been conditioned to believe all that tripe.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, EMAWesome said:

I make this post every six months or so.  I don't agree with everything the Republicans do but in general I can live with their fuck ups.  If there was a third political party whose platform was common sense and was able to actually impact American politics I would sign up in a heartbeat but there isn't.  Republicans today annoy me.  I would rather not be annoyed but I can live with it if I am.  The Democrat Party today however is so far left and loonie that many of their proposals and supposed solutions scare the piss out of me.  I can live with someone annoying me.  I can't live with constantly pissing down my leg.

I sincerely appreciate the honest expression of your feelings and understand where you're coming from. But, please, don't confuse activism with actual policies (and laws).

Well, I was just assuming you were not running for the Democrat nomination.  I am also assuming you are not part of the state legislature in California or the city council in San Francisco. 

The politicians I am talking about do not openly tell me I must do any of these things.  What they do is eliminate my other options with various forms of legislation.  Just watch how Democrat politicians in the debates dodge questions that they can't answer honestly.  Elizabeth Warren is asked if she will raise taxes to pay for proposed medicare for all legislation.  Does she answer yes or no? No, she goes into a story about how someone somewhere can't afford some kind of medical procedure and how unfair that is and how her legislative proposals will change that.  They will say they "No, no, no we are not for open borders.   All we are for is decriminalizing entering the country illegally, giving everyone that does so free health care, abolishing ICE and eliminating the detention of people caught entering the country illegally.  That's it.  We've never even mentioned the idea of open borders."   Actually you mention it all the time you just don't call it what it is.   We aren't forcing you to drive certain cars, we just want to make all the other types of cars illegal to own or drive in the future.  We don't want to mandate what kind of food you can eat.  We will just tax the wholly hell out of the food we don't want you to eat or make overly restrictive limits on when, where, and how it can be sold.  It's all about the phrasing.

• Fuck You 1

5 hours ago, bolverk said:

No worries. Conservative Republicans have abandoned this board, but your falling below the Authoritarian line means you're in the go-along, get-along camp.

CONGRATS, YOU'RE A TEXAN!

This is the part that always puzzles me. Contemporary Republicans, as a whole, typically fall squarely within the blue quadrant -- usually near the top of the authoritarian scale.

By default, y'all identify more with Republicans but you see here that us progressive liberals tend to be very "libertarian" on personal freedoms (just look at how low we fall in the green square).

And yet y'all vote for "blue square" candidates who run counter to your core beliefs on libertarian values regarding personal freedoms, i.e. civil rights.

Is it really the tax side (right/left spectrum on the grid) that matters more to you in the end when choosing a candidate or is it just habit?

I was raised as a Republican and, believe me, it took a lot to break out of that conventional mold and declare to my family (especially father) and friends that I couldn't just fall in line and vote, by default, for R candidates like the rest of the flock.

It was the personal freedoms blow that first created the crack that forced me to rethink my walled-in support for Republicans. Coursework in economics eventually shifted my views to the left on the money/taxes side.

Respectfully, I would think your beliefs in civil rights might lead you to also reconsider your options at the ballot box. Would you prefer to be associated with the Libertarian Left or the Authoritarian Right?

Tag “for people who are different than you” to the end of each question and they’d swing to the top right.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, EMAWesome said:

You're a white male, of course trump isn't gonna do anything to you. All you care is what happens to you,  fuck everyone else

• Like 2

There are some stupid questions or I am not reading them right.

A significant advantage of a one-party state is that it avoids all the arguments that delay progress in a democratic political system.

Who would not agree with this?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BNB said:

A significant advantage of a one-party state is that it avoids all the arguments that delay progress in a democratic political system.

"all"  was the key word for me, so it was a "strongly disagree." The statement is assuredly false.

Virtually the whole test is written that way.

Edited by Iceman

1 minute ago, BNB said:

A healthy democratic systems requires debate of multiple views to define the best policies. Just like capitalism only works when there is competition. 

Defining a monopolistic view in politics leads to authoritarianism. 

That's how I read it. 

• Like 2

i don't think it avoids all the arguments

ffs china is single party and the national government wants to build wind and solar while the coal-rich provinces want to build more coal plants.  we're having that same argument here

Edited by elfenix

14 minutes ago, BNB said:

uh, maybe you wouldn't consider it such an advantage if you weren't so authoritarian? again the key word is advantage, its actually a drawback if you care about stuff like choice equality and freedom

Edited by Michael Knight

8 hours ago, bolverk said:

No worries. Conservative Republicans have abandoned this board, but your falling below the Authoritarian line means you're in the go-along, get-along camp.

CONGRATS, YOU'RE A TEXAN!

This is the part that always puzzles me. Contemporary Republicans, as a whole, typically fall squarely within the blue quadrant -- usually near the top of the authoritarian scale.

By default, y'all identify more with Republicans but you see here that us progressive liberals tend to be very "libertarian" on personal freedoms (just look at how low we fall in the green square).

And yet y'all vote for "blue square" candidates who run counter to your core beliefs on libertarian values regarding personal freedoms, i.e. civil rights.

Is it really the tax side (right/left spectrum on the grid) that matters more to you in the end when choosing a candidate or is it just habit?

I was raised as a Republican and, believe me, it took a lot to break out of that conventional mold and declare to my family (especially father) and friends that I couldn't just fall in line and vote, by default, for R candidates like the rest of the flock.

It was the personal freedoms blow that first created the crack that forced me to rethink my walled-in support for Republicans. Coursework in economics eventually shifted my views to the left on the money/taxes side.

Respectfully, I would think your beliefs in civil rights might lead you to also reconsider your options at the ballot box. Would you prefer to be associated with the Libertarian Left or the Authoritarian Right?

Short answer: yes, taxation is an absolute difference maker for me.  Ethical and morality issues don’t really resonate with me by party.  I don’t identify with either one.  Basically, I choose the cheaper whore, but they’re all whores. 

It’s a sad reflection on our society that something as basic as drinking water is now a bottled, branded consumer product.

What is the sad reflection? That consumers are lazy? Or when on the go want something healthier than a soda? Want better tasting water?

or are they trying to say bottled water is huge because drinking water is so bad everywhere?

2 minutes ago, BNB said:

It’s a sad reflection on our society that something as basic as drinking water is now a bottled, branded consumer product.

What is the sad reflection? That consumers are lazy? Or when on the go want something healthier than a soda? Want better tasting water?

or are they trying to say bottled water is huge because drinking water is so bad everywhere?

I think it's meant to be free. I mean tap ain't free either, but ya know public.

36 minutes ago, BNB said:

That we have a system that has conditioned us to over value the idea of consumerism, when you already pay for tap water. And especially when you buy bottled water, that involves extensive waste, that probably came from a tap somewhere else. 

• Like 1