Galindo and Brooks are absolute trash

NorthLoop

I’ve always been a big Ahmad fan. He taught Bible study, while in school, to some 50 year old white ladies from Tarrytown and Westlake. He’s a solid solid dude. I like his analysis and think he can build a career at ESPN. What is holding him back is being saddled with what is the worst PBP guy in the business of all time in any sport/market. I fucking loathe him. 

17 minutes ago, Porterhouse said:

I’ve always been a big Ahmad fan. He taught Bible study, while in school, to some 50 year old white ladies from Tarrytown and Westlake. He’s a solid solid dude. I like his analysis and think he can build a career at ESPN. What is holding him back is being saddled with what is the worst PBP guy in the business of all time in any sport/market. I fucking loathe him. 

Ahmad is a nice guy for sure. He is bad at his job 

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, TankedBevo said:

Ahmad is a nice guy for sure. He is bad at his job 

I think he’s great. Go home Bevo. You’re Tanked. 

Edited by Porterhouse

7 minutes ago, Wally Pryor said:

Anything's possible given that ESPN sees fit to continue employing an unbridled buffoon like Desmond, And Brooks is only a 1/3 as bad as that idiot.

I remember when he said USC'S punter was going to be the mvp of the 2006 Rose Bowl. Solid analysis there Desmond.

1 minute ago, El Squared said:

Galindo needs to be promoted to nonverbal announcer, the guy who nods while others are talking, and stops it there.maybe let him wear a headset and a sports jacket.

He should be our gift to the administration, he should go work in the tower.

25 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Ahmad hasn't done an LHN game in a couple of years. I realize this thread was started a few years back, but you'd think by now people would notice Ahmad isn't on the call anymore. 

I was watching with volume off out of town in dinner with my wife. In the few minutes of the broadcast I heard, I thought there was a 3-man booth of the douche whose name I won’t even mention, Brooks and Acho (Sam). Am I wrong?

13 minutes ago, Porterhouse said:

I was watching with volume off out of town in dinner with my wife. In the few minutes of the broadcast I heard, I thought there was a 3-man booth of the douche whose name I won’t even mention, Brooks and Acho (Sam). Am I wrong?

Nope it was just Acho. It was just Acho and Galindo last year as well. And the year before that it was Andre Ware and Galindo. Brooks hasn't done an LHN broadcast since at least 2019. He was doing ESPNU games with Adam Amin, but I don't think he's doing that anymore either. 

Edited by Catdaddyhorn

Let's be serious though, how many color commentators are lauded for being great. Most of them get trashed or ignored. Every now and then someone like Klatt or maybe Herbstreit back in the day will get some accolades thrown their way, but like a google review most discussion concerning broadcast teams lean towards negativity. 

While googling where in the world Ahmad Brooks is now I came across stuff about him being in the ODP (Olympic development program) beginning as a 14 year old. Apparently Ahmad was a top 50 soccer player as a youngster. Read an article where he discusses how close he came to quitting football prior to his junior year of high school.

Ahmad Brooks attended and graduated from Abilene High in Abilene, Texas.  Ahmad was a dual sport athlete, participating in both football and soccer. I had heard a story that Ahmad was considering walking away from the game of football to concentrate on his soccer career.  Ahmad's football coach at the time, Steve Warren, was a big reason for him not doing so. 

I asked Ahmad if he would share his memory of the day he walked into Coach Warren's office to break the news that he was quitting the football team.

"Most people don't know this about me, but I was 10 times better at soccer than I was at football and I'm proud to say that. I was on the National team, I was All-State as a Freshman, All-Regionial, and first team at that.  At the age of 14 I was traveling around the world playing soccer and I remember my first trip abroad, we went to Costa Rica. In this third-world country, the kids playing with soccer balls that were so used that the leather shell was completely worn off of them, the painted goals on the street, it really impacted my life." 

"That sport was much more goalable than football and in hind sight it is. It's the most popular sport in the world and at my size, 5'7" and 135 pounds at the time, it made no sense to continue playing football." 

"So I walked into Coach Warren's office with all intentions of me quitting.  I let him know that I wanted to concentrate on soccer, he knew how good I was at the sport, and I didn't feel like I was getting the recognition that I deserved in football.  I was playing QB at the time and I knew that I would never play Quarterback in college.  You have to keep in mind this is right before my Junior year of high school, I was traveling with the top 50 soccer players in the world earlier that year, so I knew I had a future in the sport of soccer." 

"I walked into Coach Warren's office right before spring ball to inform him that I would be quiting, the whole time coach was shaking his head.  About that time he reached under his desk and pulled out about 50 letters from big Division I schools in the country for football.  I remember starting to cry, it was a very emotional moment.  Coach Warren was my DB's coach the year before and now my Head Coach, so it was an accomplishment for both of us."

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/785478-a-lifetime-longhorn-a-look-back-at-ahmad-brooks-the-original-lifetime-longhorn

Edited by Catdaddyhorn
  • Hook 'Em 5

8 hours ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Let's be serious though, how many color commentators are lauded for being great. Most of them get trashed or ignored. Every now and then someone like Klatt or maybe Herbstreit back in the day will get some accolades thrown their way, but like a google review most discussion concerning broadcast teams lean towards negativity. 

Not a lot of good ones anymore. First of all you have to have a listenable voice, which a lot of these clowns such as Galindo just don't. But also there's an art to it, you have to incorporate the sounds and the ambiance of the game as part of the broadcast, and a lot of announcers just talk and talk and talk.

For example, when i watch college football and there's a score, i enjoy it when the announcer just realizes to shut the fuck up for a moment and let me hear the fans and the band playing the fight song. You let that breathe for a bit, THEN you come in with your comments. When done right there's just nothing like it.

Edited by Pam Cummings
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

While googling where in the world Ahmad Brooks is now I came across stuff about him being in the ODP (Olympic development program) beginning as a 14 year old. Apparently Ahmad was a top 50 soccer player as a youngster. Read an article where he discusses how close he came to quitting football prior to his junior year of high school.

Ahmad Brooks attended and graduated from Abilene High in Abilene, Texas.  Ahmad was a dual sport athlete, participating in both football and soccer. I had heard a story that Ahmad was considering walking away from the game of football to concentrate on his soccer career.  Ahmad's football coach at the time, Steve Warren, was a big reason for him not doing so. 

I asked Ahmad if he would share his memory of the day he walked into Coach Warren's office to break the news that he was quitting the football team.

"Most people don't know this about me, but I was 10 times better at soccer than I was at football and I'm proud to say that. I was on the National team, I was All-State as a Freshman, All-Regionial, and first team at that.  At the age of 14 I was traveling around the world playing soccer and I remember my first trip abroad, we went to Costa Rica. In this third-world country, the kids playing with soccer balls that were so used that the leather shell was completely worn off of them, the painted goals on the street, it really impacted my life." 

"That sport was much more goalable than football and in hind sight it is. It's the most popular sport in the world and at my size, 5'7" and 135 pounds at the time, it made no sense to continue playing football." 

"So I walked into Coach Warren's office with all intentions of me quitting.  I let him know that I wanted to concentrate on soccer, he knew how good I was at the sport, and I didn't feel like I was getting the recognition that I deserved in football.  I was playing QB at the time and I knew that I would never play Quarterback in college.  You have to keep in mind this is right before my Junior year of high school, I was traveling with the top 50 soccer players in the world earlier that year, so I knew I had a future in the sport of soccer." 

"I walked into Coach Warren's office right before spring ball to inform him that I would be quiting, the whole time coach was shaking his head.  About that time he reached under his desk and pulled out about 50 letters from big Division I schools in the country for football.  I remember starting to cry, it was a very emotional moment.  Coach Warren was my DB's coach the year before and now my Head Coach, so it was an accomplishment for both of us."

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/785478-a-lifetime-longhorn-a-look-back-at-ahmad-brooks-the-original-lifetime-longhorn

ODP, while outdated now (and behind the times even back then) is legit. if Ahmad was invited to/playing for ODP at 14-15 then he definitely had a future as a soccer player. interesting turn of events for him, especially considering that he ended up playing in the NFL, which i know he is immensely proud of, even if it was just a cup of coffee. cool story. 🤘🏼 

2 hours ago, GeorgetownLaw said:

Glad to see we weren’t the only ones. Had to shut off the volume. They were just distracting. 

Well sometimes I was trying to figure out what happened and they would never tell you, like with that nearly blocked punt.  They were rambling about something else.

They make it way harder than it needs to be. Like they don’t even tell us the distance on punts or other info on personnel, stats, etc.

Last night saw a rough start for Acho. It initially sounded like a parody…he literally said “Louisiana Monroe runs a zone read offense, so we’re gonna see a lot of zones and a lot of reads.” He settled in to typical banality which is at least not detracting from the game watching experience. 

Dan Fouts is probably the last one I really liked. He actually seemed to enjoy it, and while he gave technical (at times) analysis, he also let a little “fanboy” leak out. Almost, Troy Aikman with a personality somewhere North of a wet blanket.

1 hour ago, dcar00 said:

The Gus Johnson effect is part of the problem...I miss the days of PBP guys who knew that less is many times more.

Galindo just won't shut the fuck up and Acho just made it worse.  Any PBP guy that wants to be the color guy too is a problem.

I see what you’re saying. But I love Gus. Problem is, his popularity emboldens douchers like our guy to be douchey. 

7 minutes ago, MirrOlure said:

Dan Fouts is probably the last one I really liked. He actually seemed to enjoy it, and while he gave technical (at times) analysis, he also let a little “fanboy” leak out. Almost, Troy Aikman with a personality somewhere North of a wet blanket.

Fouts was a great color guy that often doesn’t get mentioned. Very similar to Aikman with more personality. There’s nobody like Klatt in the business today. He’s great, and his weekly radio show in Dallas is pure gold. 

11 hours ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

2 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

ODP, while outdated now (and behind the times even back then) is legit. if Ahmad was invited to/playing for ODP at 14-15 then he definitely had a future as a soccer player. interesting turn of events for him, especially considering that he ended up playing in the NFL, which i know he is immensely proud of, even if it was just a cup of coffee. cool story. 🤘🏼 

Holy shit. My older cousin was a friend of Ahmad's on campus and I never knew he was that good at soccer. Coach Warren fucked his sports future up. If he had continued to progress in soccer to the point of even being on a lower tier 1st division team like a Las Palmas or Everton his earnings from his career in sports would have far surpassed what it ended up being.

1 hour ago, dcar00 said:

The Gus Johnson effect is part of the problem...I miss the days of PBP guys who knew that less is many times more.

Galindo just won't shut the fuck up and Acho just made it worse.  Any PBP guy that wants to be the color guy too is a problem.

Similar to the Madden effect decades ago. Every dumpy new jock analyst was trying to be Madden. Only Madden could be Madden. 

15 minutes ago, DougO said:

Similar to the Madden effect decades ago. Every dumpy new jock analyst was trying to be Madden. Only Madden could be Madden. 

Obviously you don’t believe in face rakes and jackhammer feet. 

1 hour ago, Hermanator said:

Holy shit. My older cousin was a friend of Ahmad's on campus and I never knew he was that good at soccer. Coach Warren fucked his sports future up. If he had continued to progress in soccer to the point of even being on a lower tier 1st division team like a Las Palmas or Everton his earnings from his career in sports would have far surpassed what it ended up being.

There weren't a lot of Americans making it to European leagues in the 90s. Outside of Alexi Lalas and a goalie here or there I can't think of any American soccer players who played in Europe during the 90s or even prior to Landon Donovan. 

1 hour ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

There weren't a lot of Americans making it to European leagues in the 90s. Outside of Alexi Lalas and a goalie here or there I can't think of any American soccer players who played in Europe during the 90s or even prior to Landon Donovan. 

Brooks would have been playing in the 2000s during his 20s. That's when they started to get more Americans 

4 hours ago, bullet said:

Well sometimes I was trying to figure out what happened and they would never tell you, like with that nearly blocked punt.  They were rambling about something else.

welcome to the hell that UT hoops fans have living through for years and years now. yes, Lowell does all of his usual bullshit, like trying to call every player by a nickname (this assclown would not stop trying to coin the nickname "Johnny Basketball" for Jonathan Holmes- fuck that), but by far the worst part about him is that he does. not. shut. the fuck. up. he's constantly talking over the plays, or worse, he asks his partner (Lance Blanks) a series of meandering, studio show-type questions while the action is going on, which of course leads to Lance giving long, meandering answers. he's so objectively bad it's equal parts embarrassing and infuriating. 

edit: found this example from five years ago. Galindo starts talking about "the turnover issue" at 00:25 of the video, and he Lance proceed to spend the next 3-4 possessions rambling on about turnovers, completely ignoring the action:

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Rage+1 1

4 hours ago, MirrOlure said:

i really enjoyed mike mayock when he was doing color for NFL Network.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, shadow_operative said:

welcome to the hell that UT hoops fans have living through for years and years now. yes, Lowell does all of his usual bullshit, like trying to call every player by a nickname (this assclown would not stop trying to coin the nickname "Johnny Basketball" for Jonathan Holmes- fuck that), but by far the worst part about him is that he does. not. shut. the fuck. up. he's constantly talking over the plays, or worse, he asks his partner (Lance Blanks) a series of meandering, studio show-type questions while the action is going on, which of course leads to Lance giving long, meandering answers. he's so objectively bad it's equal parts embarrassing and infuriating. 

edit: found this example from five years ago. Galindo starts talking about "the turnover issue" at 00:25 of the video, and he Lance proceed to spend the next 3-4 possessions rambling on about turnovers, completely ignoring the action:

Honestly I don't mind that much for TV. I don't need some jack wagon telling me what's happening when I'm watching with my own eyes everything that's happening. It's just the discourse needs to be higher quality than what Gallindo puts out. 

For radio though it's the complete opposite. 

• Rage+1 1