Whatcha reading?

DocZaius

All of three of the Eagle squadrons, which consisted of American volunteers flying with the RAF prior to the US entry into WWII, eventually transitioned from Hurricanes to Spitfires.  The Eagle squadrons became the 4th Fighter Group after the US entered the war

This and more. Pretty good summary here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Supermarine_Spitfire_operators?wprov=sfti1

Austin’s own (and UT alum) Gabino Iglesias with a review of Cormac McCarthy’s newest works:

In terms of scope, works of literature exist on a spectrum that goes from small narratives packed into a microcosm that want to explore a single element of human nature all the way to stories that seem obsessed with somehow encapsulating the totality of the human experience and decoding the meaning of life.

Cormac McCarthy's The Passengerand Stella Maris -- the author's first two books in more than a decade — belong to the latter group, both as standalone novels and when taken together as deeply intertwined works of fiction that take place in the same universe and with the same characters. . ..

https://www.npr.org/2022/10/25/1131283160/review-cormac-mccarthy-the-passenger-and-stella-maris

Gambino is an excellent author in his own right. The Devil Takes You Home is a haunting read. 
660236D8-52CF-4565-9EE2-BFB582DF0D1A.jpeg.6143e914cebde50bc9a82620127152bb.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 2

9 hours ago, CycleTex87 said:

So if a person was to begin a study of McCarthy works which book would one start with?

I would do the border trilogy but I’m kind of biased.  I read all the pretty horses first.  Probably the most accessible is no country for old men as the movie is pretty close to the book, especially in characterization.  

The Road is great but very different in setting.

I don’t know that he has written a bad book.  I’m sure there is one, but I haven’t read it.

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, Hefeweizen said:

I would do the border trilogy but I’m kind of biased.  I read all the pretty horses first.  Probably the most accessible is no country for old men as the movie is pretty close to the book, especially in characterization.  

I don’t know that he has written a bad book.  I’m sure there is one, but I haven’t read it.

Good deal. Starting in with pretty horses. Also got The Road as it’s a Pulitzer novel - I’m slowly working my way through all the Pulitzer novels. 

23 hours ago, CycleTex87 said:

So if a person was to begin a study of McCarthy works which book would one start with?

I think the road and no country are his two best. For different reasons but you just get wrapped up in them. 

The passenger is a great story.... maybe.... I don't know, really interested to see how it all ties up. 

Work your way up to Blood Meridian. That one is a tough read. At least it was for me. 

Edited by Juicy

Do we do audiobooks here, too? I finally gave in  a few months ago and have been tearing through them on long drives.  I've been using Libby app via the Houston Public Library, so there's often a wait for popular titles - which is actually kind of fun as it lends an air of anticipation to a book, some more than others. Had to wait a couple of months for this: https://www.vulture.com/2022/08/michael-manns-first-novel-heat-2-is-a-work-of-obsession.html

I'm about 6 hours of 19 into it, and it is pretty good so far.  The dude who narrates it gets Pacino's voice pretty close.  Pure fan fiction, but if you enjoyed the movie, you'll enjoy the book.  

On 11/2/2022 at 2:01 PM, Lazarus Bocanegra said:

Do we do audiobooks here, too? I finally gave in  a few months ago and have been tearing through them on long drives.  I've been using Libby app via the Houston Public Library, so there's often a wait for popular titles - which is actually kind of fun as it lends an air of anticipation to a book, some more than others. Had to wait a couple of months for this: https://www.vulture.com/2022/08/michael-manns-first-novel-heat-2-is-a-work-of-obsession.html

I'm about 6 hours of 19 into it, and it is pretty good so far.  The dude who narrates it gets Pacino's voice pretty close.  Pure fan fiction, but if you enjoyed the movie, you'll enjoy the book.  

Audio books is the only way I do books now.  Audible.com is a great service that I have used for years. Their selection of podcasts is also very good. A good reader can turn a bad book into a masterpiece.  But a boring reader can ruin anything.  

On 10/29/2022 at 4:59 PM, TonyTexas said:

For mass market fiction, this new Grisham book is one of good ones. Biloxi DA tries to take down the Dixie Mafia. 

78E5149B-6ECF-44B2-92BD-4F5F431969DD.jpeg

I'm half way through this audio book and really like it.  Michael Beck is the perfect reader for Grisham novels because he nails the southern accents.  

41xLRqDfXTL._AC_SY780_.jpg

Meh.  A 300 page slog through existential dreck before finally something sort of happens in the last 2 chapters.  And I know the plot isn't the point but still.

The takedowns of consumerism and technology in American life still apply I guess but all the specificity made them feel dated.

On 11/3/2022 at 9:31 PM, Delta Charlie said:

I'm half way through this audio book and really like it.  Michael Beck is the perfect reader for Grisham novels because he nails the southern accents.  

I like anything he writes, and I thought the subject was good, but honestly I didn’t think it was one of his better books. I finished it in threes evenings though, so I wouldn’t say I didn’t enjoy it.

just finished Hidden Pictures by Jason Rekulak.  It’s a good super natural thriller with a compelling plot and a nice twist at the end.  Supposed to be a Netflix movie which I would definitely watch.

Edited by NeverMarryAStripper

On 10/30/2022 at 8:06 PM, CycleTex87 said:

Good deal. Starting in with pretty horses. Also got The Road as it’s a Pulitzer novel - I’m slowly working my way through all the Pulitzer novels. 

All the Pretty Horses is my favorite one of his, and probably top 5 for me all time. Like others said, work your way up to Blood Meridian as it's not an easy read (but worth it). You have to get used to his style of writing or BM will turn you off. 

Child of God? I remember it being about guy that killed people and kept their bodies in a cave where he had sex with them. I’m probably mixing up some details as it’s been a long time since I read it, but I can’t recommend that one.
  • Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, wild_turkey said:

Well you got me excited because that’s one of my all time favorite books, but it’s actually a TV series and it’s on Netflix (ugh). I think it could make a decent TV series but I have little faith in Netflix to do a good job.

Netlfix doesn't fuck up everything.  Hopefully this will be one of those.

On 10/26/2022 at 2:27 PM, Juicy said:

I just started, had to make sure i was reading the right book during the prologue but then it got rolling. 

I must not be smart enough for this. It started out weird, got rolling then went off the rails for me. It was a slog to finish. I am sure people loved it but I just wanted something to happen. 

The passenger. Will likely pass on the follow up which appears to be composed of medical records of his sister. 

From Strength to Strength - Arthur C. Brooks 2022

Nice easy read about getting your shit together as your start thinking about retiring/face career burnout.  It's annoying having all the examples be about billionaire entrepreneurs burning out (so sad!) but there are some very general straightforward kernels of wisdom for those of us who feel iike they have been letting life go by while planning for other things.  

from_strength_to_strength_finding_succes

• Hook 'Em 1

It's almost the end of the semester so I'm burning out on historical monographs and wanted something different.

Blood Wedding | Bloodaxe Books

Short and interesting as I've never read Lorca before. I've also never seen the play so this is a first for me, but not bad for a $.50 find at the Waco Friends of the Library sale last week.

Edited by SimonBolivar
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 11/5/2022 at 7:09 AM, WBT said:

41xLRqDfXTL._AC_SY780_.jpg

Meh.  A 300 page slog through existential dreck before finally something sort of happens in the last 2 chapters.  And I know the plot isn't the point but still.

The takedowns of consumerism and technology in American life still apply I guess but all the specificity made them feel dated.

REALLY! wow. Just goes to show how subjective things like art and literature can be. White Noise is a Top 10 all timer for me.

I stumbled across the interview from 1997 today actually, topically. I didn't much enjoy Zero K which was the last book of DeLillo I read and I've never read Underworld which has sat on my bookshelf unopened for at least 10 years...

On 11/17/2022 at 10:29 AM, WBT said:

I'm about a 1/3 of the way into The Passenger so far and really liking it.  It's funnier than the McCarthy I've read previously.

Would like to hear your final review once you've finished in light of your last post about White Noise-- I just received my hardback copy in the mail today but have at least 3 in the queue before I can get to it.

I'm currently reading:

51wI2DXEBSL._SY291_BO1,204,203,200_QL40_

Edited by MeerkatBong

On 11/17/2022 at 10:47 AM, SimonBolivar said:

It's almost the end of the semester so I'm burning out on historical monographs and wanted something different.

Blood Wedding | Bloodaxe Books

Short and interesting as I've never read Lorca before. I've also never seen the play so this is a first for me, but not bad for a $.50 find at the Waco Friends of the Library sale last week.

They were sold out by five in the afternoon.

• Like 1

On 4/28/2022 at 5:34 PM, TonyTexas said:

Just released. It’s about the Irish and Italian mob in Providence. For those who don’t know him, Winslow wrote the Cartel Trilogy, which are excellent. 

FC084D4B-9DD3-4113-84C4-9C7621E8F0D3.jpeg

Was looking for a new book to read last night and saw this post. I enjoyed the Cartel trilogy so I figured it would be good. I ended up reading about 100 pages before I finally put it down and went to sleep. Can’t wait to pick it up again tonight 

Michael Connelly "Desert Star" comment

Spoiler

In response to Gil's comment above, yes, he is.  Losing Harry will be tough.  I've been right along side him since the Eleanor Wish days.  I knew this day would come, and I am dreading it.  I think Harry will make an appearance in the next Mickey Haller novel.

Born to Run (2016) - while I was in the third quarter of the book I was getting a bit tired of the kudos, but by the time I finished, it fit in as an old guy just trying to use mindfulness and gratefulness to help calm his demons.  As a guy who is learning the guitar, I would have liked a bit more about his early stages of learning.  But all in all, a very nice memoir of a guy who was always solidly in the background of the music I grew up with.

61FBD568F34A9D11E46A3A46ACE1BC2C58681367

On 11/29/2022 at 12:13 AM, MeerkatBong said:

Would like to hear your final review once you've finished in light of your last post about White Noise-- I just received my hardback copy in the mail today but have at least 3 in the queue before I can get to it.

I'm currently reading:

51wI2DXEBSL._SY291_BO1,204,203,200_QL40_

Finished this book; curious to hear if anyone else has read it recently and has an opinion. It was good, don’t get me wrong, but it was touted as a masterpiece and one of the most profound book written on death and moral questions of a life well-lived, which I found to be be an overselling of such topics. Maybe it was ground breaking in the late 1800’s when it was published, but I find it hard to believe it was a novel voice and perspective even then. I did enjoy it and it was a short read, so 7/10.

I just read The Passenger/Stella Maris.  I think it's a wonderful story.  I'm going to let it age a bit and then read them again.  I really want to re-read them again now but want some time to reflect on what I've read.

I've only read No Country For Old Men and The Road of his before.  I then took a break.  

Suttree is what I will probably ready of his next when I get back into that frame of mind.  I just worked my way through a cancer battle and the subject matter of Stella Maris/The Passenger really resonated with me.

Edited by petscii

16 minutes ago, petscii said:

I just read The Passenger/Stella Maris.  I think it's a wonderful story.  I'm going to let it age a bit and then read them again.  I really want to re-read them again now but want some time to reflect on what I've read.

I've only read No Country For Old Men and The Road of his before.  I then took a break.  

Suttree is what I will probably ready of his next when I get back into that frame of mind.  I just worked my way through a cancer battle and the subject matter of Stella Maris/The Passenger really resonated with me.

These are two separate books, right? The Passenger and Stella Maris. Why are you combining them like so and referencing them as a singular story? Are they companion pieces meant to be read together or shortly after the other?

Edited by HamsterHookah

2 minutes ago, HamsterHookah said:

These are two separate books, right? The Passenger and Stella Maris. Why are you combining them like so and referencing them as a singular story? Are they companion pieces meant to be read together or shortly after the other?

They were released a month apart.  The Passenger is a story in the manner of No Country For Old Men.  Stella Maris is a series of dialogs between a character in the first book and their doctor, in an insane asylum. 

If you read The Passenger and don't have any interest after you can skip Stella Maris.