If it bleeds, we can kill it.

Parliament

Greatest movie of all time. I have several different editins at home and always go see it at Alamo when they run it with 350ml

"If it bleeds, we can kill it." Has been my philosophy on dealing with difficult problems for a long time.

Metaphorically of course.

Edited by MissingInAction

So what makes this movie so great?  The dialogue is OK, and has some great quotes.  But there are other movies that have that.  The action, other than the climax is no better than the rest of the 80's movies.  (The camp invasion is particularly average.)  One review I read said that this is Arnold's best movie, because it lets him be himself.  Arnie is a charismatic person, and he can't use that when he's an android.

The score is pretty good.  The pacing is excellent.  Bad guy is historic.  All that is true.  But I think what takes this movie to the next level is the last part, starting after his fall into the water.  It's the best part of the movie, and it's at the end.  It's what you remember.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, Parliament said:

So what makes this movie so great?  The dialogue is OK, and has some great quotes.  But there are other movies that have that.  The action, other than the climax is no better than the rest of the 80's movies.  (The camp invasion is particularly average.)  One review I read said that this is Arnold's best movie, because it lets him be himself.  Arnie is a charismatic person, and he can't use that when he's an android.

The score is pretty good.  The pacing is excellent.  Bad guy is historic.  All that is true.  But I think what takes this movie to the next level is the last part, starting after his fall into the water.  It's the best part of the movie, and it's at the end.  It's what you remember.

“F*** you, asshole”

Edited by AustinMT
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Parliament said:

The thing that stands out to me about that fall....  The film is grainy and out of focus.    Obviously it's a stunt man and I guess that's why but it always struck me as odd.

12 hours ago, Parliament said:

Anyone remember the excitement as a kid of being taken to the video store to pick out "your own" movie as a kid?  To this day I have never been more excited to see it sitting there on the shelf among the new releases.  The LAST copy on a Friday night.  I took it home.  Excited as I'd ever been.  I think I watched it 4-5 times that weekend before I had to return it 2 days later.  

19 hours ago, Parliament said:

Image result for predator gun gif

• Like 2

4 hours ago, MissingInAction said:

Also a cool bit of trivia

During the filming of Predator a bodyguard was hired for Sonny Landham (Billy), not for his personal protection, but because the film's insurance company worried for the safety of the cast with him around

wtf? 

5 hours ago, MissingInAction said:

During the filming of Predator a bodyguard was hired for Sonny Landham (Billy), not for his personal protection, but because the film's insurance company worried for the safety of the cast with him around

Yeah, I think he was a convicted criminal or something. 

10 hours ago, MissingInAction said:

Billy Bear was the baddest mfer ever.

Edited by mulletpelini
there's something out there waiting for us.....and it ain't no man

• 8 months later...

ahh yes, the first R rated movie I was given permssion to watch in a movie theater by my mother. I was 13

teammates mom invited to take me and her son to the theater after soccer practice and drop us off. mom approved me going without realizing it was R rated until after I came back from watching it. 

fond memories.

favorite line was already said.  You are one UGLY motherfucker

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/23/2019 at 7:57 PM, Parliament said:

Critical drinker does a great job breaking down Predator's greatness. Such an awesome film. Truly, we were spoiled back then.

On 10/24/2019 at 1:11 PM, Fondren & Main said:

Basic was just okay, but Rollerball was awful.  Is McTiernan out of prison yet?  He needs to make another film.

Check out 13th Warrior. It had production problems, and was a bust, but I think it was underrated.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 5 months later...
On 10/23/2019 at 5:57 PM, Parliament said:

The cast. Hands down. Strongest cast of any Arnold movie, when he was in his prime.

On top of that, you've got an original story that isn't about what the characters think it's about. And it's just really, really well executed on top of all that; great pacing, great editing... the whole package.