Learn me on tortillas

Buzzrock

I’m a gringo from Georgia so I’m pretty hopeless as far as tortilla knowledge. All I know is that in my many travels to Texas it’s like it’s not even the same food. I start dreaming of breakfast tacos weeks before a trip to TX. Those aren’t a thing here.

My wife buys grocery store flour tortillas and I often just warm them up and fill them with scrambled eggs and cheese and hot sauce. It’s ok but the tortilla is the weakest link by far no matter what it’s filled with.

We have a stout Mexican population in the ATL, even out in whitebread land by me. Should I start with the carnecerias? Do I need to ask for anything special? How long do good ones stay fresh? Is corn more authentic for tacos? How hard are they to make at home?

I await your education and derision.

Go to the part of town that has a large Hispanic population.  Find a grocery store with a Spanish name.  A quick google search indicates that Cuernavaca and Brito might be good bets.  Procure tortillas, both corn and flour cause they’re cheap af, so why not both.  Profit.

• Like 2

Honestly make them yourself. It’ll take a couple of tries to turn out good ones but after a half dozen attempts, you’ll be able to crank them out in just a few minutes and you’ll make them often.

Here’s a good recipe based on San Antonio style flour tortillas. They are the best. Make sure you use a cast iron skillet or comal. Don’t try to sub any ingredient. Use fucking lard.

There’s nothing better than sitting at the table with just a stack of burning hot fresh tortillas and a bowl of room temperature butter.

https://abc13.com/amp/food/make-your-own-fresh-tortillas-with-this-recipe/2785780/

• Like 4

1 hour ago, conVINCEd said:

Go to the part of town that has a large Hispanic population.  Find a grocery store with a Spanish name.  Find the fattest late middle age hispanic woman you can at that store. If she only speaks broken English that's a bonus. Pay her to make the tortillas for you.

Fixed

• Like 2

For store bought tortillas, these are pretty damn good.

mi-tienda-ready-to-cook-flour-tortillas-

I would take the recommendations above as far as finding the Mexican neighborhoods.  It shouldn't be too hard to find a paneria to get some tortillas from.  If you keep them in the refrigerator, they should last a couple of weeks.  As far as corn or flour, Henry James nailed it with his post above.  Corn tortillas for breakfast tacos is an awful idea. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

When you say you "warm them up," how are you doing that?  Microwave ain't the way to do it.  Get a comal or use a cast iron skillet.  

Either in the bottom of the pan before I make the eggs, or directly over the gas flame on the stove. In a rare pinch I might microwave.
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

We have a stout Mexican population in the ATL, even out in whitebread land by me. Should I start with the carnecerias? Do I need to ask for anything special? How long do good ones stay fresh? Is corn more authentic for tacos? How hard are they to make at home?

if they have ready to cook tortillas in the dairy case get those.  heat your cast iron just on the low side of medium, season the pan, then cook about 30-45 seconds a side. 

1 hour ago, Post Oak said:

When you're back in texas stop at a HEB and buy their bakery fresh ones.  

those things fucking suck.  possibly the worst thing HEB puts its brand on.  doughy, undercooked, stuffed into a plastic bag where they steam themselves into shit. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Surly Bevo said:

Fixed

I just went to a Mexican grocery store and bought tortillas to make breakfast tacos and when I got home, my neighbor’s old Mexican lady house cleaners were leaving and I thought about asking them if I could hire them to come cook me breakfast.  So this post hits close to home.

51 minutes ago, Hate said:

For store bought tortillas, these are pretty damn good.

mi-tienda-ready-to-cook-flour-tortillas-

I would take the recommendations above as far as finding the Mexican neighborhoods.  It shouldn't be too hard to find a paneria to get some tortillas from.  If you keep them in the refrigerator, they should last a couple of weeks.  As far as corn or flour, Henry James nailed it with his post above.  Corn tortillas for breakfast tacos is an awful idea. 

This.  This right here.  

3 hours ago, elfenix said:

if they have ready to cook tortillas in the dairy case get those.  heat your cast iron just on the low side of medium, season the pan, then cook about 30-45 seconds a side. 

those things fucking suck.  possibly the worst thing HEB puts its brand on.  doughy, undercooked, stuffed into a plastic bag where they steam themselves into shit. 

This man speaks the truth. Also look for uncooked torts in the frozen aisles. Those are the best. The others have preservatives which ruin the simple flavors of a tort.

1 hour ago, Viking said:

This man speaks the truth. Also look for uncooked torts in the frozen aisles. Those are the best. The others have preservatives which ruin the simple flavors of a tort.

unfortunately the frozen ones at my HEB are all cauliflower, almond flour, casava, sprouted, and other similar bullshit.

6 hours ago, elfenix said:

tenor.gif?itemid=5261161

On 10/26/2019 at 12:53 PM, elfenix said:

I agree, they are majorly disappointing. I love the fresh ones that the Kroger Deli in Galveston make.

On 10/26/2019 at 12:55 PM, Michael Knight said:

Never ever ever microwave tortillas 

Tomorrow at lunch there are going to be a lot of landscape workers throughout Texas that will do it. And again the next day. And every other day they eat food at work. Ain't no comal at the QT. It's not better, but a man has to eat.

• Like 1

On 10/27/2019 at 5:57 PM, deadshank said:

Worked for my crazy-assed grand dad. That and more. 

Is that part of the deadshank origin story?

Oh, and flour for burritos, quesadillas, and breakfast tacos. Corn for everything else. If it isn't made from either flour or corn, run away as fast as you can.

2 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

Brush them with butter before finishing on the comal. Ain’t healthy but it improves them dramatically.

or i could just get the ones from the dairy case that cost less, last longer, don't take longer on the cast iron and don't suck ass. 

Edited by elfenix

Corn tortilla in a microwave is fine if you're lazy and don't care about them being optimal. I've done it when I don't feel like waiting. All tortillas should be on a pan/comal until they get some brown on them though. Some good suggestions above as far as flour being great for breakfast and corn being great for dinner tacos. I think fajitas taste best with flour though. And at least try to make some yourself, the difference between pretty much any store-bought flour tortillas and homemade ones will change your life. Even the pre-mixed stuff is great. You need the flour to leave your hand a little dusty as youre eating, it's a Texan experience.

7 hours ago, BurdineBandit said:

Some good suggestions above as far as flour being great for breakfast and corn being great for dinner tacos. 

I think that is one of those rules that is generally true but has some exceptions. Fajitas on flour as you said. I also grew up with Barbacoa being a breakfast taco and I always eat those on corn. 

So is this whole corn vs. flour thing like the Mexican version of the mayo vs. mustard vs. ketchup thing?  Because I prefer flour to corn for everything...and I hate mustard.  Fight me.

It all depends on context, and even region. Flour is a northern Mexico-south Texas thing. In southern Mexico, they mostly eat corn.

But it’s also context. Enchiladas are almost always made with corn. Same with tostadas.

Both are really good, and fresh/homemade are always better. I actually like the HEB fresh flour - but buy them when they’re actually fresh, and yes, finish on the comal.

I’ve also microwaved plenty of tortillas in my day because young/lazy/in a hurry.

So is this whole corn vs. flour thing like the Mexican version of the mayo vs. mustard vs. ketchup thing?  Because I prefer flour to corn for everything...and I hate mustard.  Fight me.

It all depends on context, and even region. Flour is a northern Mexico-south Texas thing. In southern Mexico, they mostly eat corn.

But it’s also context. Enchiladas are almost always made with corn. Same with tostadas.

Both are really good, and fresh/homemade are always better. I actually like the HEB fresh flour - but buy them when they’re actually fresh, and yes, finish on the comal.

I’ve also microwaved plenty of tortillas in my day because young/lazy/in a hurry.
  • Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Enchiladas are almost always made with corn.

Yeah well, I gringo it up by ordering flour instead of corn with my enchiladas.  Every time.  I just like them better.

And I will microwave the hell outa some tortillas too.  For all the same reasons you listed...plus fat, drunk and stupid.

12 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

Yeah well, I gringo it up by ordering flour instead of corn with my enchiladas.  Every time.  I just like them better.

That's messed up.  My culinary respect for you is diminished.  🤬🤬

Given that wheat is not native to the Americas and tortillas date back to pre-Columbian times, flour tortillas are historically inauthentic.  And they appear in northern Mexico because of gringo influence.

But I guess after a few hundred years, no one gives a shit.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Back in ‘92 you could get 10 fresh flour tortillas and queso from Taco Cabana on MLK for about $2.

I got in the habit of walking over there about 2am 3-4x a week, and taking those back to the Dobie for a late night snack.

Man, between that, beer, and Gumby’s Pizza I got fat in a hurry.

So yes, fresh tortillas own, either bought for immediate consumption or homemade.