Learn me on tortillas

Buzzrock

22 hours ago, HouTex said:

This will be my 4th or 5th year in a row to make tamales for a few friends during the Christmas season. After the second year it’s gotten way easier. I cook the pork on a Thursday or Friday evening and then do 6 dozen a day on Saturday and Sunday. It takes me about 3 hours to do 6 dozen. I can do that before or after my golf game.

That sounds like one gross way to spend a weekend. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

My wife loves to make a nostalgic enchilada recipe that her mother used to make.  Her white girl from Beaumont mother.  The enchiladas feature bland jack cheese and barely-seasoned ground meat as the core of the filling, with the addition of copious amounts of chopped ripe black olives that taste like a mix of nothing/dirt, rolled into flour tortillas, topped with a tiny can of Gephardt enchilada sauce, which is just enough to slightly moisten the top of the tortilla, leaving the rest dry AF.   I am confident that the recipe came from a 1977 issue of Good Housekeeping or some other bland white people magazine.  And she loves them.  She doesn't cook much, but when she does, 50% of the time, it's to make those.

I pour a bunch of salsa on top and eat them.  But goddamn.

I have had this recipe at two different homes.  Both white families.  It wasn't bad, but it wasn't good either.  I was hungry.  Damn, the taste of olives still leaves a bad taste in my mouth.    

2 hours ago, RollLeft said:

I have had this recipe at two different homes.  Both white families.  It wasn't bad, but it wasn't good either.  I was hungry.  Damn, the taste of olives still leaves a bad taste in my mouth.    

What I want to know is this: WHO IN THE FUCK ACTUALLY LIKES CANNED BLACK RIPE OLIVES?

They taste like a mix of nothing and dirt.  They add nothing.  I love all kinds of olives....but canned black ripe olives are a nothing.  They add nothing except a slight bit of mediocre to bad taste.  

• Hook 'Em 1

On 11/4/2019 at 8:59 AM, Nueces River Rat said:

I guess it varies from region to region along the border. I grew up in the Weslaco area, so going to Nuevo Progreso/Aka Los Flores was pretty much a routine thing for us.  The only thing I saw stacked up in the  tortillerias on the main street through town were corn.    But I will admit I never inquired if they made flour.   None the less the corn tortillas were out of this world.  

W.E. Stewart LAnd COmpany

WESLACO

Sup, compa?

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

What I want to know is this: WHO IN THE FUCK ACTUALLY LIKES CANNED BLACK RIPE OLIVES?

They taste like a mix of nothing and dirt.  They add nothing.  I love all kinds of olives....but canned black ripe olives are a nothing.  They add nothing except a slight bit of mediocre to bad taste.  

I do...I will eat them out of the can....not on Mexican food though. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Nueces River Rat said:

Must be a gringo... LOL!  

2 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

giphy.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 10/26/2019 at 12:16 PM, Hate said:

For store bought tortillas, these are pretty damn good.

mi-tienda-ready-to-cook-flour-tortillas-

I would take the recommendations above as far as finding the Mexican neighborhoods.  It shouldn't be too hard to find a paneria to get some tortillas from.  If you keep them in the refrigerator, they should last a couple of weeks.  As far as corn or flour, Henry James nailed it with his post above.  Corn tortillas for breakfast tacos is an awful idea. 

This right here. Just tried these and they are quite legit. Good call, Hate. Extra pudding for you.

• Like 1

On 11/5/2019 at 5:17 PM, Brisketexan said:

Fucking.....puke....

large_6ff12705-5381-40f7-b246-d895558ca4

Well, not even puke.  I can stomach them.  They're just sad and pointless.  The fucking decorative leaves of kale lining the Pizza Hut salad bar have a more meaningful purpose.

No, puke was right.  Those things are nasty.

• 2 years later...
On 10/26/2019 at 11:24 AM, CooterBrown said:

Honestly make them yourself. It’ll take a couple of tries to turn out good ones but after a half dozen attempts, you’ll be able to crank them out in just a few minutes and you’ll make them often.

Here’s a good recipe based on San Antonio style flour tortillas. They are the best. Make sure you use a cast iron skillet or comal. Don’t try to sub any ingredient. Use fucking lard.

There’s nothing better than sitting at the table with just a stack of burning hot fresh tortillas and a bowl of room temperature butter.

https://abc13.com/amp/food/make-your-own-fresh-tortillas-with-this-recipe/2785780/

Can anyone vouch for this recipe, or have another recipe? I'm determined to make tortillas like I recall my aunts making (I don't live near them and they're too old now to teach me anyway, and never wrote any recipes down). All the recipes I've found are pretty much the same and results are inconsistent, too easy to dry out, and don't have the homemade flavor I remember. The only difference in this recipe is milk which I'll definitely give a shot. Any advice would be helpful. We have authentic tortilla factories here and I really like the ones you can buy in the refrigerator section that are raw, but I'm fixated on making them right from scratch and will continue trying until I get it right.

30 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Can anyone vouch for this recipe, or have another recipe? I'm determined to make tortillas like I recall my aunts making (I don't live near them and they're too old now to teach me anyway, and never wrote any recipes down). All the recipes I've found are pretty much the same and results are inconsistent, too easy to dry out, and don't have the homemade flavor I remember. The only difference in this recipe is milk which I'll definitely give a shot. Any advice would be helpful. We have authentic tortilla factories here and I really like the ones you can buy in the refrigerator section that are raw, but I'm fixated on making them right from scratch and will continue trying until I get it right.

Try this one: https://patijinich.com/flour-tortillas/

But go heavy on the lard, and even a touch extra water.  But seriously....don't be shy on the lard.

• Hook 'Em 2

19 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

But go heavy on the lard, and even a touch extra water.  But seriously....don't be shy on the lard.

That's pretty much every recipe I've seen. Maybe I'll lean on more lard and water.

2 minutes ago, next2naus said:

Could you use rendered bacon fat instead of store bought lard?

I tried it and it was terrible. Maybe I didn't render it right, but the smoke flavor was overwhelming.

On 6/28/2022 at 11:58 AM, next2naus said:

Why would you want to do that? I’m no expert and you can do anything you want in the kitchen. But isn’t lard more authentic? Wouldn’t it also be cheaper and easier in the long run?

On 6/27/2022 at 3:21 PM, Brisketexan said:

I tried this one and they turned out pretty good.  Couldn't get them round to save my life.  Most came out looking like Ohio.  I found that they cooked up better if I threw some lard in the skillet.

Will definitely try again..

• Haha 1

On 10/26/2019 at 11:24 AM, CooterBrown said:

Honestly make them yourself. It’ll take a couple of tries to turn out good ones but after a half dozen attempts, you’ll be able to crank them out in just a few minutes and you’ll make them often.

Here’s a good recipe based on San Antonio style flour tortillas. They are the best. Make sure you use a cast iron skillet or comal. Don’t try to sub any ingredient. Use fucking lard.

There’s nothing better than sitting at the table with just a stack of burning hot fresh tortillas and a bowl of room temperature butter.

https://abc13.com/amp/food/make-your-own-fresh-tortillas-with-this-recipe/2785780/

This recipe can’t possibly be written correctly. I’ve tried it twice and the pasty cutter doesn’t create a corse consistency and the milk just makes it a sloshy mess. There’s no way it can be 2 cups flour and two cups lard and milk.

On 11/4/2019 at 8:38 AM, Nueces River Rat said:

I would say flour is a very northern Mexico thing if that.  If you walk in the markets, even in the border towns like Nuevo Progresso/Los Flores, the tortilla shops sell corn.   Some of the restaurants might offer flour for we Norte Americanos who go over for a few drinks and a meal.  

And anyone who wants to warn up tortillas should invest in one of these.   Just keep it seasoned.

https://www.amazon.com/Mexican-Origins-PreSeasoned-Tortilla-Griddle/dp/B000JLYQIC/ref=asc_df_B000JLYQIC/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=192287662223&hvpos=1o2&hvnetw=g&hvrand=9917353333138478138&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9028155&hvtargid=aud-801381245258:pla-309638999652&psc=1

spacer.png

Yes, those are a must have. One stays on our stove at home unless it goes directly into the oven to make room on top.

As for the flour vs. corn argument, the region of "Northern" Mexico that Texas borders is extremely corn. You can find flour, and it's not just for the gringos, but mostly what you're going to see is corn. Now if you're out Sonora way, they're more of a flour tortilla region, as they've been doing wheat for probably four or so centuries. And seeing as that's where the carne asada taco is widely credited as originating from, it'd probably be more traditional to eat your carne asada on flour vs. corn.

There is another region I've heard of that uses a lot of flour, but I cannot remember it. But of course, most of Mexico is corn. 

My solution: buy the Mixla tortillas at HEB.

Edited by UncleBuck

Yes, those are a must have. One stays on our stove at home unless it goes directly into the oven to make room on top.
As for the flour vs. corn argument, the region of "Northern" Mexico that Texas borders is extremely corn. You can find flour, and it's not just for the gringos, but mostly what you're going to see is corn. Now if you're out Sonora way, they're more of a flour tortilla region, as they've been doing wheat for probably four or so centuries. And seeing as that's where the carne asada taco is widely credited as originating from, it'd probably be more traditional to eat your carne asada on flour vs. corn.
There is another region I've heard of that uses a lot of flour, but I cannot remember it. But of course, most of Mexico is corn. 
My solution: buy the Mixla tortillas at HEB.

My family was in southern Chihuahua, and it was mostly flour tortilla country. There was some corn to be found, but on most dinner tables, it was flour.
Honestly, same for my family in Piedras Negras.

On 10/26/2019 at 4:49 PM, Viking said:

This man speaks the truth. Also look for uncooked torts in the frozen aisles. Those are the best. The others have preservatives which ruin the simple flavors of a tort.

On 10/28/2019 at 9:22 AM, jeevsie said:

Is this not a known thing that the HEB torts have to be finished on the comal?  No, they're not ready to eat like that, ya mo-rons!

On 10/29/2019 at 7:56 PM, ChickenSandwich said:

White corn torts from Lupe Tortilla are legit. Grab and go

destroys the traditional corn for breakfast 

I swear to god I'll pistol whip the next guy who calls tortillas torts. 

• Haha 1

On 11/4/2019 at 1:58 PM, Brisketexan said:

My wife loves to make a nostalgic enchilada recipe that her mother used to make.  Her white girl from Beaumont mother.  The enchiladas feature bland jack cheese and barely-seasoned ground meat as the core of the filling, with the addition of copious amounts of chopped ripe black olives that taste like a mix of nothing/dirt, rolled into flour tortillas, topped with a tiny can of Gephardt enchilada sauce, which is just enough to slightly moisten the top of the tortilla, leaving the rest dry AF.   I am confident that the recipe came from a 1977 issue of Good Housekeeping or some other bland white people magazine.  And she loves them.  She doesn't cook much, but when she does, 50% of the time, it's to make those.

I pour a bunch of salsa on top and eat them.  But goddamn.

This is the most offensive thing I've read on this website. 

• Like 1

On 6/28/2022 at 10:58 AM, next2naus said:

I do it all the time.  They are awesome.  Cook bacon in the oven and drain the fat through a coffee filter into a jar.  Store the jar in fridge until needed.  1.75 cups of flour, teaspoon of salt, .5 cup bacon fat, and .5 cup warm water.

2 hours ago, Dry Elbows said:

I do it all the time.  They are awesome.  Cook bacon in the oven and drain the fat through a coffee filter into a jar.  Store the jar in fridge until needed.  1.75 cups of flour, teaspoon of salt, .5 cup bacon fat, and .5 cup warm water.

Cut in the fat?  Add the water?  Rest time?  What is the yield (12 tortillas)?

What's your process?

4 hours ago, Texas St. Armadillos said:

Cut in the fat?  Add the water?  Rest time?  What is the yield (12 tortillas)?

What's your process?

Mix the bread flour and salt.  Add the bacon fat and water.  Mix by hand until fat is dissolved and everything is mixed together.  Then put it on a cutting board with loose flour and work until the outside is smooth.  This probably takes 5-10 minutes.  I usually let it rest for 15-30 minutes before making balls and rolling out with a rolling pin.  I make my tortillas a tad bigger than you get in the store, so a batch of dough yields about 10 tortillas.  

I want to try a recipe that uses baking powder.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Dry Elbows said:

Mix the bread flour and salt.  Add the bacon fat and water.  Mix by hand until fat is dissolved and everything is mixed together.  Then put it on a cutting board with loose flour and work until the outside is smooth.  This probably takes 5-10 minutes.  I usually let it rest for 15-30 minutes before making balls and rolling out with a rolling pin.  I make my tortillas a tad bigger than you get in the store, so a batch of dough yields about 10 tortillas.  

I want to try a recipe that uses baking powder.

Thanks, man.  Will try this weekend.

• Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, Texas St. Armadillos said:

Thanks, man.  Will try this weekend.

No problem.  When you initially mix it, the dough may be "shaggy" and still wet.  Just use more flour when working it on the cutting board.  Hope they turn out great.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 6 months later...

One of my goals this year is to do fresh tortillas. First batch was last night, the problem i was having was the circles were shrinking down between when I rolled them out and when they hit the pan. Do I need… more flour on the working surface? Or maybe (what I’m hoping) it would be easier if the balls were cold? Ultimately I want to make batches of dough (maybe even formed into tortillas) and freeze them. That way i can do a whole bunch of the prep and bust them out in batches of 10 to cook, or thaw the discs and cook them as needed.

One of my goals this year is to do fresh tortillas. First batch was last night, the problem i was having was the circles were shrinking down between when I rolled them out and when they hit the pan. Do I need… more flour on the working surface? Or maybe (what I’m hoping) it would be easier if the balls were cold? Ultimately I want to make batches of dough (maybe even formed into tortillas) and freeze them. That way i can do a whole bunch of the prep and bust them out in batches of 10 to cook, or thaw the discs and cook them as needed.

You need to work them more to better develop the gluten. Use the palm of your hand instead of a spoon to work the dough for a good 5 minutes. You then need to let it rest for 15 minutes before rolling out the tortillas.
  • Hook 'Em 1

• 2 months later...

Tried brisket’s link, mixed by hand and I needed it really well. I’m pretty happy with the results. If I could find some lard I’m sure it would improve the flavor over shortening, but I may try the recipe with butter. Made these yesterday and we’re already low. Super excited, tortillas in North Carolina are bullshit.

092DEA00-F1ED-4B09-88D2-2D8C661E2407.thumb.jpeg.c5f5d881fdf7460d89d803c639ef0085.jpeg

• 4 weeks later...

Still working on this, I think I'm on batch 4 for the year. I work at a biotech that produces some products for food and beverage and wound up talking to the head scientist in the baking lab, who is from Texas and suggested that I use milk instead of water. She also told me to just use the mixer, to ditch the tortilla press altogether, and to let the dough rest for a couple of hours. I've been working off of the link Brisket posted above - https://patijinich.com/flour-tortillas/, using crisco shortening. I had been using more fat than the recipe called for, but I think with the addition of the milkfat it was too much last time and the dough as difficult to use. I also still tried to use the press last time, but ended up having to also roll them out and everything was gooey and it was pain in the ass. The tortillas were crazy pliable though. I used right on the nose 2/3 cup this time, and I did ditch the press altogether (and have gotten better at making dough balls and rolling out circles), made sure I had enough flour on the working surface, and I formed the dough into individual balls this time before letting them rest covered. Much better, much easier. And the tortillas are finally the right thickness - super thin as they go into the pan, and they came out not paper thin but not this thick almost pita thing. I want to try and improve the flavor and am going to try doing this with butter next time, although I may see if I can get some lard from the butcher shop down the street.

57CA4282-35F6-4A21-B128-28B7323A0079.thumb.jpeg.ebdeff39ec17b7d577f66c9076709431.jpeg

Edited by Celery Man
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2
  • Drool 1

2 hours ago, Celery Man said:

Still working on this, I think I'm on batch 4 for the year. I work at a biotech that produces some products for food and beverage and wound up talking to the head scientist in the baking lab, who is from Texas and suggested that I use milk instead of water. She also told me to just use the mixer, to ditch the tortilla press altogether, and to let the dough rest for a couple of hours. I've been working off of the link Brisket posted above - https://patijinich.com/flour-tortillas/, using crisco shortening. I had been using more fat than the recipe called for, but I think with the addition of the milkfat it was too much last time and the dough as difficult to use. I also still tried to use the press last time, but ended up having to also roll them out and everything was gooey and it was pain in the ass. The tortillas were crazy pliable though. I used right on the nose 2/3 cup this time, and I did ditch the press altogether (and have gotten better at making dough balls and rolling out circles), made sure I had enough flour on the working surface, and I formed the dough into individual balls this time before letting them rest covered. Much better, much easier. And the tortillas are finally the right thickness - super thin as they go into the pan, and they came out not paper thin but not this thick almost pita thing. I want to try and improve the flavor and am going to try doing this with butter next time, although I may see if I can get some lard from the butcher shop down the street.

57CA4282-35F6-4A21-B128-28B7323A0079.thumb.jpeg.ebdeff39ec17b7d577f66c9076709431.jpeg

Use bacon fat.  It is glorious.

22 minutes ago, Bevo&Pevo said:

HEB Mixla half corn half flour.  Muy deliciosa. Especially with a little char in the skillet.

My daughter calls those "crack tortillas."  When she goes back overseas, she brings back a pack of 20 flour, and a pack of 10 mixed.  She shares the flour.  She keeps the mixed all for herself, to be eaten warm, with just that little char in the skillet.

• Hook 'Em 1