Urban Meyer or bust

BurntOrange&White

2 minutes ago, CowtownHorn said:

This time yesterday I posted the Eli Manning “what the fuck” gif after reading it wasn’t looking great for UM and that Sark and Campbell were our backup plans. Then, last night it was all the way to almost calling it for UM to be our next coach. Now, gloom is in the air again. Guess it’s time to get back to work. We better not fuck around and find out. I love coaching changes. I hate coaching changes.

Jesus christ. Get it together, man. You sound like a woman with your extreme emotional swings. There was no "almost calling it" last night. And there is no gloom today. It's just not done yet. Let's wait and see.

• Hook 'Em 2

9 minutes ago, CastHorn said:

May I offer some sub topics to pass the time? Best athlete you’ve ever competed against? Random encounters you’ve had with famous people in Texas? I played against Ronald Jones in the fall of 2014. He wasn’t much bigger than I was but he was explosive on the second level. One of the fastest backs id ever seen in person. I rode an elevator with Kim Kardashian at the Grand Hyatt Hotel in San Antonio in 2010. I think she was getting dicked down by Miles Austin at the time. The cowboys were occupying the hotel for training camp. I also met H.K Pitts at a Dairy Queen in Bryan, TX. He seen me in Longhorn gear so he introduced himself to me and handed me a photo of him next to a plaque that stated he was the originator of the Hook’em gesture. 

I ran in the same Boston Marathon as Meb Keflezighi and rode the elevator with Frank Shorter (1972 Olympic marathon gold medalist)

Edited by Eggo
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, PassiveAggressiveCoach said:

OK, I have been to Padre to Port A beaches countless times in my life. I have now been to Destin twice. They got us and it's not even close.  Brown water vs blue water.  Fluffy white sand beaches vs a more course packed sand. It's really not close. Yes the rednecks are plentiful but so is the abundance of rednecks on our beaches.  It's really not close y'all.  Our beaches aren't the best and that's OK.  It's still a beach. 

Beach talk not going away. The water in SPI is almost always clear. It's the brown sand that makes the difference in how the water looks. Now Galveston, etc, yeah that water is brown. I was born in Florida, specifically shithole Pensacola. While I do love many of the beaches there, esp for the fine white sand, SPI is still awesome. FL beaches are generally awesome, but as others have said, the biggest drawback in FL is that it's generally full of SECSECSEC fucks.

And btw you mentioned earlier though that Florida had better beaches than even the Caribbean minus a couple of spots. Eh, no. I can think of numerous Caribbean beaches that Florida can't touch, and I've never even been to the Bahamas.

8 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

I will be disappointed as fuck if it’s ol Cutty Sark, this shouldn’t be a take a flier type hire. Only thing that might not make me jump off a ledge if it’s Urban would be Dan Mullen and Coach Boom at DC

There aren't any truly exciting backup plans. Why would Mullen leave Florida? We'd just be getting him a pay raise 

7 minutes ago, CastHorn said:

May I offer some sub topics to pass the time? Best athlete you’ve ever competed against? Random encounters you’ve had with famous people in Texas? I played against Ronald Jones in the fall of 2014. He wasn’t much bigger than I was but he was explosive on the second level. One of the fastest backs id ever seen in person. I rode an elevator with Kim Kardashian at the Grand Hyatt Hotel in San Antonio in 2010. I think she was getting dicked down by Miles Austin at the time. The cowboys were occupying the hotel for training camp. I also met H.K Pitts at a Dairy Queen in Bryan, TX. He seen me in Longhorn gear so he introduced himself to me and handed me a photo of him next to a plaque that stated he was the originator of the Hook’em gesture. 

I met Dave Cowens in San Antonio.  Got close enough to the court in San Marcos to hear Abe lemons say to a ref “ you must be a girls referee”

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, BradInATX said:

What is all this talk of Urban not being a lock? We decided last night that he shot a 65 at Horseshoe yesterday then signed a contract in the swim up bar over some cold Fireman's 4s. He should probably be out on the recruiting trail right about now.

Not on fucking RamRock he didn't. If he can knock down a 65 on that course he is in the wrong sporting profession.

• Hook 'Em 1

42 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

It’s not theater. The people tracking this accurately are some of the most pessimistic fuckheads around. Truth is, actual journalism should make skeptics of anyone in the profession. My view is that, absurdly, most of the real journalism being done these days is tucked neatly into the sports realm. 

I had a friend reel off like 10 reasons why not last night and he wants/needs it to happen as bad as anyone. If he’d written Nahlin’s article, this board would be devolving into some sort of serious version of the gang fight in Anchorman. 

That sounds like Bobby, yeah.

1 minute ago, Orange&White said:

Not on fucking RamRock he didn't. If he can knock down a 65 on that course he is in the wrong sporting profession.

True that. Only course out there anyone but the top 20 golfers in the world can shoot in the 60s on is the putting course.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

I will be disappointed as fuck if it’s ol Cutty Sark, this shouldn’t be a take a flier type hire. Only thing that might not make me jump off a ledge if it’s Urban would be Dan Mullen and Coach Boom at DC

1 minute ago, Fud said:

There aren't any truly exciting backup plans. Why would Mullen leave Florida? We'd just be getting him a pay raise 

Yep. That's what makes this coaching search so high stakes. Not only are we going after one of the best CFB coaches ever, but there are no good, obtainable options behind him.  If we miss on Meyer every single option will be a crapshoot that's more likely to fail than not. They'll all have something to sell, but they'll also have their warts.  Maybe the guy we hire will prove to be a good coach and they can build an elite program over time, but anyone not named Urban Meyer will take at least a couple years to turn things around, especially as they watch tOSU steal a big chunk of the elite talent in the 22 class. 

1 minute ago, Patricio Swayze said:

I’m going to be driving around taking photos of Bloody Nickel hookers, is there anyway for my phone to read this thread to me like books on tape? I prefer it to be read by William Shatner or Marisa Tomei. If someone can work on that I’d appreciate it.

This thread requires the quiet dignity of Morgan Freeman.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, Errestaurants said:

Don Juans Romantic Mexican Restaurant?

We always go to El Manantial in Seven Points. Seven Points is deserving to be put on the shittiest town list. 

No.  It is called Lakeside Restaurant.  It is in a little blue shack on the other side of the gas station from Don Juans.  There used to be a doughnut shop in that build.  

I agree about 7pts.  

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, BrazilHorn said:

At least the game on Saturday is at 11. Give the afternoon for his firing to die down and then announce Urban Sunday.

Este. This is where I think we're headed. The $9.95ers are just doing their best to get/keep the $$ coming in, imho.

6 minutes ago, brojangles2 said:

I have to go from Beaumont to Tyler to see my folks. The trip down 69 through Lufkin, Alto, Wells, Rusk, blah blah......fucking depressing...and I grew up in the golden triangle. 

The hills and trees between the towns is the saving grace for that stretch of road.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, HillaryFan420 said:

How much drinking do you consider to be the threshold for "having a problem"?  Being home all the time this past year I started having 1-2 drinks a day and that felt like too much and had to back off.  Maybe we should have a poll.

Problem?  Like when you can't keep life shit together.  Like showing up to work drunk.  Being drunk in the mornings.  Missing events.  Being incoherent- shit like that.

There are functional alcoholics and I wouldn't want to be them- but whatever- I'm not living their lives- if they can keep it together and remember to put the cover sheet on the TPS or hit 87% of their sales target goal good for them I suppose.   But those people you don't want to put in a position of power or trust or responsibility necessarily.  

Unless your 1-2 drinks a day are a big gulp sized scotch you are fine.  I have zero problem with alcohol and I'm from a family of alcoholics- like people who drank themselves to death, literally type drunks.  I got lucky. I can stop on any number between 0 and 18 on any day and be perfectly happy, I can go for months without a drink and not miss it, or I can have a scotch with dinner every night for a week and then go back to tee totalling- no problem.  I prefer not to drink like 3 or 4 b/c I'd rather leave it at 1 or 2 or go to buzz at 5 or 6 but even that's ok.  You got no worries my man. Unless maybe you spend all day fantasizing about that drink at the end of the day- but even that would be psychological rather than physical.  If that's the case probably ought to replace that with something a little more healthy that you "thirst" for, but whatever.  

I take no pride in my lack of being an alky while the rest of my family have literally drank themselves to death. It just didn't hit me.   Now, put a large pizza in front of me and it pains me not to sit down and eat the whole thing.  Take away my cigs or skoal and I get twitchy and want to cut you.  And I've quit both of those for long periods of time (like months/years) and I sit around and day dream about the next drag or the first spit.  Like- other than sex with my wife or South Austin's mom there is nothing more enjoyable for me in life than nicotine.  Followed up a close third by the feeling of being full.  

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, wood said:

Beach talk not going away. The water in SPI is almost always clear. It's the brown sand that makes the difference in how the water looks. Now Galveston, etc, yeah that water is brown. I was born in Florida, specifically shithole Pensacola. While I do love many of the beaches there, esp for the fine white sand, SPI is still awesome. FL beaches are generally awesome, but as others have said, the biggest drawback in FL is that it's generally full of SECSECSEC fucks.

And btw you mentioned earlier though that Florida had better beaches than even the Caribbean minus a couple of spots. Eh, no. I can think of numerous Caribbean beaches that Florida can't touch, and I've never even been to the Bahamas.

Technically it is the dang Mississippi rivers fault Galveston has brown water except for when a norther blows in.  You go to the beach in August or september in Galveston with a strong wind out of the north, it is every bit as clear as SPI.

Of course, it also the fault of the Mississippi that Galveston Bay is the most productive fishery in the US(Yes technically Chesapeak is more, but it is 8 times the size of GB. so based on an efficiency level---which we are apparently obsessed with in sports----Galveston Bay is better.)

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

We literally found the hotel he was staying at.  What other hotel has the same curtains?  Is it a coincidence that hotel happens to be at horse shoe bay?  That's a lot of coincidences.  All the hedging is because they want to keep this as quiet as possible since they have not fired Herman yet.  Yesterday they reported that the board members met with him and later Ketch comes out and says that's not true... because he fucked up by actually reporting names.  There are reports that he is reaching out to coaches to try and put together a potential staff.  You don't call people unless you're actually taking a job.  What is he going to say "Hey man, I may or may not take a job.  Are you in?".  No actual coach will commit unless Urban is committed to taking the job.

I'm guessing they will let Herman coach the last game.  CDC has always said they will evaluate coaches performances after the season.  Kansas game is not happening.  I don't think anyone including the players care to play that game.  They will fire Herman after KSU, announce Meyer on Sunday and probably have a press conference on Monday.  

Or we could all be way off base.  He may be waiting to publicly say no to us on national media on Fox on Saturday.  Who knows!

• Hook 'Em 4

2 minutes ago, TexasRenegade said:

Technically it is the dang Mississippi rivers fault Galveston has brown water except for when a norther blows in.  You go to the beach in August or september in Galveston with a strong wind out of the north, it is every bit as clear as SPI.

Yep, that makes a lot of sense.

Edited by wood

Thamel

Texas AD Chris Del Conte’s play here appears to be shopping for Herman’s replacement and attempting to arrange something before having to make a public decision on Herman. This is a common tactic, but rarely do these shadow searches unfold under such scrutiny. The question will be if Texas strikes out — and Del Conte will aim Dabo-level high if Meyer passes as expected — how will everybody sputter forward and force smiles for Herman returning for a plank-walk season in 2021?

1 minute ago, victory88 said:

We literally found the hotel he was staying at.  What other hotel has the same curtains?  Is it a coincidence that hotel happens to be at horse shoe bay?  That's a lot of coincidences.  All the hedging is because they want to keep this as quiet as possible since they have not fired Herman yet.  Yesterday they reported that the board members met with him and later Ketch comes out and says that's not true... because he fucked up by actually reporting names.  There are reports that he is reaching out to coaches to try and put together a potential staff.  You don't call people unless you're actually taking a job.  What is he going to say "Hey man, I may or may not take a job.  Are you in?".  No actual coach will commit unless Urban is committed to taking the job.

I'm guessing they will let Herman coach the last game.  CDC has always said they will evaluate coaches performances after the season.  Kansas game is not happening.  I don't think anyone including the players care to play that game.  They will fire Herman after KSU, announce Meyer on Sunday and probably have a press conference on Monday.  

Exactly.

Just now, utexas8 said:

Thamel

Texas AD Chris Del Conte’s play here appears to be shopping for Herman’s replacement and attempting to arrange something before having to make a public decision on Herman. This is a common tactic, but rarely do these shadow searches unfold under such scrutiny. The question will be if Texas strikes out — and Del Conte will aim Dabo-level high if Meyer passes as expected — how will everybody sputter forward and force smiles for Herman returning for a plank-walk season in 2021?

If they end up keeping Herman for next season and try and open the SEZ with the truly shitty home schedule UT has in 2021, CDC would make more $ renting the SEZ out for kids birthday parties than on ticket sales. Just pull the seats out and put in a couple of trampolines and a laser tag course at that point

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

Also that Pro-Texas figure mentioned in the air article...it’s fucking Mack Brown. Without question it’s Mack

What was said in the article? 

I have no specific info on this but I would not expect Mack's narcissism allowing him to help Urban and Texas happen. 

3 minutes ago, utexas8 said:

Thamel

Either Thamel is wrong or all of the mods are.  I wouldn't recommend CDC bring Herman back if he cares about money or job security.

1 minute ago, BrazilHorn said:

If they end up keeping Herman for next season and try and open the SEZ with the truly shitty home schedule UT has in 2021, CDC would make more $ renting the SEZ out for kids birthday parties than on ticket sales. Just pull the seats out and put in a couple of trampolines and a laser tag course at that point

Thammel speaking of keeping Herman next season shows he's knows little about the Texas side of things.

• Hook 'Em 2

• immamac changed the title to Urban Meyer or bust
  • immamac locked this topic
  • immamac unlocked this topic