Urban Meyer or bust

BurntOrange&White

2 minutes ago, BrazilHorn said:

If they end up keeping Herman for next season and try and open the SEZ with the truly shitty home schedule UT has in 2021, CDC would make more $ renting the SEZ out for kids birthday parties than on ticket sales. Just pull the seats out and put in a couple of trampolines and a laser tag course at that point

If we keep Herman for next season, we might as well kiss our football program goodbye. 

• Hook 'Em 2

42 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

If I wasn't so anxious to see Texas stop sucking in real life I might have to root for this scenario as a real life gang fight in anchorman, made up of Surly-ites would be the greatest thing ever.   I'm now, and always will be, team Derka.  Will throw a trident for that guy any day of the week and twice on Sunday.  

But, I'd rather us not continue our quest to be Spike Dykes era Tech, but with less fun here in Austin.  But that's a close thing as I fantasize about gutting Aqua Buddha with a trident, while seeing Johnny Sack attempt to curb stomp Hugo while Bad Teammate engages in angry masterbation in the corner, all while Brisket cackles like Slim Pickens about the end of the world being nigh.  B/c that would be fun too.  But probably that fun wouldn't last as long as the Urban Meyer era.  Probably.  

Brisket would be sobbing in the corner about all of the evils the fight reflects in humanity or some bitchass shit. 

33 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Not sure if serious but it's a well known fact that he is a full blown alcoholic and not really all that functional.  Think of the NBA and how all the players love the script clubs. Then, think about how they all talk in amazement at how much James Harden loves the Script clubs.  That's Sark with Alcohol.

Or put another way- when Rumlin was bumbling around College Station many people called him "Dark Sark" which will never not be funny to me.  But yeah, he's a well known lush that makes Vodka Tom blush.  

30 minutes ago, kevwun said:

Sarkisian showed up shithammered at booster events when he was at USC.  He showed up drunk to a position group meeting in the freaking morning and there are even stories that he was drunk during a game on at least one occasion.

I checked in with folks around Sark daily, currently, and he has his shit together and is apparently sober. 

25 minutes ago, Fud said:

He's an interesting backup plan (if he’s sober)

A ton of big program experience, NFL experience, P5 head coaching experience, high powered offenses, and strong recruiting

The biggest concern aside from his alcoholism is his mediocre head coaching results... but all of these guys have warts. Campbell, for instance, has never been at a major program as a player, GA, or coach; name one recent successful coach at a major program with that background? I otherwise like his resume, but that's an obvious wart 

He fucking sucks as a candidate and would suck as a HC here. I can’t even follow how you’d get anywhere beyond that. If Steve Sarkisian is our next head coach, the justified erosion of the fanbase would be visible. I discovered this year that I had way better shit to focus on than sports if sports was going to go fucktard on me as a fan. I am not the only one, as ratings resoundingly reflect. Roll Sarkisian out as the HC at Texas and I’ll see you guys in hell. 

10 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

That sounds like Bobby, yeah.

Nope. 

• Hook 'Em 4

7 minutes ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albert,_Texas

Near Fredericksburg/Stonewall.  Gets a lot of bikers passing through on hill country rides

Yeah but it is not a “biker bar” by any means. It fits in with the winery / hill country vibe and there’s a huge dancehall to explore as well.

4 minutes ago, victory88 said:

Kansas game is not happening.  I don't think anyone including the players care to play that game. 

Not sure why you think this. Unless there is a Covid-19 outbreak, and one team or the other can't field a team, the game will be played. Big 12 isn't going to just say, nah let's not play this game. They don't want to lose any TV revenue they can get. 

15 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

I’m going to be driving around taking photos of Bloody Nickel hookers, is there anyway for my phone to read this thread to me like books on tape? I prefer it to be read by William Shatner or Marisa Tomei. If someone can work on that I’d appreciate it.

PM Derka. He will read it to you in real time while you drive along.  That's got to be worth at least tree fiddy. 

6 minutes ago, victory88 said:

We literally found the hotel he was staying at.  What other hotel has the same curtains?  Is it a coincidence that hotel happens to be at horse shoe bay?  That's a lot of coincidences.  All the hedging is because they want to keep this as quiet as possible since they have not fired Herman yet.  Yesterday they reported that the board members met with him and later Ketch comes out and says that's not true... because he fucked up by actually reporting names.  There are reports that he is reaching out to coaches to try and put together a potential staff.  You don't call people unless you're actually taking a job.  What is he going to say "Hey man, I may or may not take a job.  Are you in?".  No actual coach will commit unless Urban is committed to taking the job.

I'm guessing they will let Herman coach the last game.  CDC has always said they will evaluate coaches performances after the season.  Kansas game is not happening.  I don't think anyone including the players care to play that game.  They will fire Herman after KSU, announce Meyer on Sunday and probably have a press conference on Monday.  

Or we could all be way off base.  He may be waiting to publicly say no to us on national media on Fox on Saturday.  Who knows!

For Reference, the "reports" UM is reaching out to coaches is from a Sports Illustrated source here: 
https://www.si.com/nfl/cowboys/news/buzz-urban-meyer-assembling-a-what-if-staff-to-join-him-at-university-of-texas

• Hook 'Em 1

no fucking way we keep herman. the genie is out of the bottle. everyone knows texas is looking for a new head coach. keeping herman for next year just because is a giant fucking net negative. we'll be lucky to get any recruits worth a shit. 2 years of shittastic recruiting will insure that the next coach utterly fails. 

What is he going to say "Hey man, I may or may not take a job.  Are you in?". 

Uhh, yeah...that's exactly what he's going to say. Of course he's more likely to take the job if his dream team is on board. Hiring a staff of unknowns is 1) a lot of work and 2) risky. He may not want to deal.

1 minute ago, crash_davis said:

no fucking way we keep herman. the genie is out of the bottle. everyone knows texas is looking for a new head coach. keeping herman for next year just because is a giant fucking net negative. we'll be lucky to get any recruits worth a shit. 2 years of shittastic recruiting will insure that the next coach utterly fails. 

that and if that post from 247 was true, wavering commit can't get in touch with position coach or Tom.

man, yall are some creepy, but clever motherfuckers. tracking this guy around the country 

but i'm a superstitious man, and if some unlucky accident should befall urban - if he doesn't come to coach here, f he is to be shot in the head by a police officer, or be found hung dead in a jail cell... or if he should be struck by a bolt of lightning - then I'm going to blame some of the people in this thread and then I do not forgive.

• Hook 'Em 5

4 minutes ago, alphahorn said:

You might get to see him for an entire season if UM can sell it

Still not sure how I feel about this in reality. I’d love to see Sam be the guy we all thought he could be, but also am ready for either Card or JQJ  to show us something  

edit to add: I’m still very much of the opinion Shane Buechel was the guy and his deep ball would have won us a few more games in the long run compared to Sam. 

Edited by slim9797

21 minutes ago, wood said:

Beach talk not going away. The water in SPI is almost always clear. It's the brown sand that makes the difference in how the water looks. Now Galveston, etc, yeah that water is brown. I was born in Florida, specifically shithole Pensacola. While I do love many of the beaches there, esp for the fine white sand, SPI is still awesome. FL beaches are generally awesome, but as others have said, the biggest drawback in FL is that it's generally full of SECSECSEC fucks.

And btw you mentioned earlier though that Florida had better beaches than even the Caribbean minus a couple of spots. Eh, no. I can think of numerous Caribbean beaches that Florida can't touch, and I've never even been to the Bahamas.

The further you get up the coast in Texas, the water is not as clear.   You can thank that  open sewer pipe known as the Mississippi River for this as the Gulf stream helps push all the runoff from the River to our beaches.   Recall after  the Katrina flooding we were getting debris like signs and stuff with New Orleans addresses along with furniture and other lovely stuff?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

When this saga is over in the next few weeks, there are going to be some very interesting revelations about the process and the turns it took in the final days.

It would be nice if they'd just can Herman because even if we get stuck Strong/Herman part three, at least we'll get a recruiting bump temporarily.

Corsicana TX sure seems like a terrible place and I would only drive through it on my way to Tyler a couple of times a month three years ago. Everyone in their cars had a look on their face as if they were in the most miserable place on earth.

My dad’s people were from Van Zandt County and we drove through Corsicana at least four times a year for 20 years. About 15 years ago when my kids were very little, my brother gave me a thought experiment where I had the choice of having someone else raise my kids in Austin, or me raising them in Corsicana but they had to go to public school all the way through. It was a close call.

Thamel

Texas AD Chris Del Conte’s play here appears to be shopping for Herman’s replacement and attempting to arrange something before having to make a public decision on Herman. This is a common tactic, but rarely do these shadow searches unfold under such scrutiny. The question will be if Texas strikes out — and Del Conte will aim Dabo-level high if Meyer passes as expected — how will everybody sputter forward and force smiles for Herman returning for a plank-walk season in 2021?

Idk how to bold on tapa but it was meant to highlight where he said if Meyer passes as expected.

Isn’t thamel Meyers guy?

2 minutes ago, TexasRenegade said:

Well if UM comes........you might get to see really good Sam all next season.

I think it is entirely possible he could come back if he is excited about an Urban hire and Urban wants him.

I think Urban will want to move on from Sam.  He's Tom's guy and part of the lack of team chemistry (not saying it is his fault, just that he is the white lightning rod as it related to the Eyes issue really blowing up post OU).  

32 minutes ago, 3shot said:

Are you serious?  That's what makes Albert awesome!    

Breckenridge is my nomination for worst shithole in Texas.  So much meth and despair there, and not even a single good place to eat.  

No, was just trying to turn the conversation away from shitty places to more "unique" places in Texas.  There's a lot of 'em and a lot of people don't know they exist

• Hook 'Em 1

ketch coming in hot with some new info 

Spoiler

I wanted to pass along a couple of notes this morning, while we all stalk (stock!) flights from Columbus to East Texas to Austin and beyond.

* I spoke with a source on the Ohio State side of things late last night (and will continue those conversations today). This source claims that in talking to people with knowledge of Urban Meyer's family that they personally do not want to see him get back into coaching.

"I am pretty confident in the family wanting him out of that role and being a grandfather, father, husband and not in constant head pain," the source told me via DM.

* There's a general sense in Columbus that Meyer is quite happy in his current role and enjoys not having to deal with the constant stress of coaching.

* That being said, this Ohio State contact believes that the decision ultimately will come down to what Urban desires.

"It's his choice, obviously," the source said. "Meyer is a wildcard and nobody can be sure."

I'm supposed to check in with this source again a little later, but I wanted to pass along this Intel, while also stressing that this particular source is someone that hasn't been paying minute by minute attention to everything that has been going on. It's just his vibe as someone that has been around Meyer for about a decade and had checked in with his sources as recent as yesterday.

This is just one view of this situation from Columbus-tinted glasses.I figured I would pass it along before we all get distracted by whatever comes next.

Don't read this as a negative report as much as it properly sets the backdrop of the decision that Meyer is trying to make and the emotions/feelings involved in getting there.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

Hide contents

I wanted to pass along a couple of notes this morning, while we all stalk (stock!) flights from Columbus to East Texas to Austin and beyond.

* I spoke with a source on the Ohio State side of things late last night (and will continue those conversations today). This source claims that in talking to people with knowledge of Urban Meyer's family that they personally do not want to see him get back into coaching.

"I am pretty confident in the family wanting him out of that role and being a grandfather, father, husband and not in constant head pain," the source told me via DM.

* There's a general sense in Columbus that Meyer is quite happy in his current role and enjoys not having to deal with the constant stress of coaching.

* That being said, this Ohio State contact believes that the decision ultimately will come down to what Urban desires.

"It's his choice, obviously," the source said. "Meyer is a wildcard and nobody can be sure."

I'm supposed to check in with this source again a little later, but I wanted to pass along this Intel, while also stressing that this particular source is someone that hasn't been paying minute by minute attention to everything that has been going on. It's just his vibe as someone that has been around Meyer for about a decade and had checked in with his sources as recent as yesterday.

This is just one view of this situation from Columbus-tinted glasses.I figured I would pass it along before we all get distracted by whatever comes next.

Don't read this as a negative report as much as it properly sets the backdrop of the decision that Meyer is trying to make and the emotions/feelings involved in getting there.

well that was worth $9.95, and then some.

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

man, yall are some creepy, but clever motherfuckers. tracking this guy around the country 

but i'm a superstitious man, and if some unlucky accident should befall urban - if he doesn't come to coach here, f he is to be shot in the head by a police officer, or be found hung dead in a jail cell... or if he should be struck by a bolt of lightning - then I'm going to blame some of the people in this thread and then I do not forgive.

I mean- we just think we are following him around the country.  Give an infinite amount of monkeys an infinite amount of type writers and one of them will write you the next great American novel by accident.  I think it's highly likely we just found someone that happens to be following an itinerary that is 6 degrees of Kevin Bacon related to Urban.  Country of 340 million people after all.

If I was totally and completely fuck  you rich I think I might fuck around with various fan bases and fly those routes that get everyone excited.  It'd be fun. 

25 minutes ago, HenryJames said:

This thread requires the quiet dignity of Morgan Freeman.

The guy who does Curse of Oak Island and Ancient Aliens, where every other line is a question, would be a great pick. No thread could contain more questions than this one. 

2 minutes ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

Hide contents

As usual a whole heaping helping of jack squat.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Landomatic said:

I’m tellin ya...herman fired by end of day Sat...urban announced by end of day Sun.

And something we all need to keep in mind, Urban doesn’t necessarily need time to recruit before ESD.  He just needs to be announced far enough in advance to make some of the early signers not commit to wherever they were thinking.  In other words, he doesn’t need enough time to flip them, he just needs enough time to “uncommit” them.  And the mere announcement of him to Texas alone will do that for several of them.  Then he’ll have time until Feb to actually get them.

So there’s really not the urgency that some here are making it out to be.

All of this. That's how it'll go down imho. 

Re: recruiting, you're probably not gonna flip the firm guys anyway, and the softer commits probably won't take 2 weeks to flip. And then there's always the portal.

39 minutes ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

Anyone ever been to Albert, TX?  Population 1, only business in town is a bar.

Spent a couple hours there a few years ago drinking beer and eating a pretty damn good burger. Husband and wife from Austin I think owned it or were running it. He was a chef

And then you can mosey a short distance down to Garrison Brothers Bourbon distillery

3 minutes ago, TexasRenegade said:

As usual a whole heaping helping of jack squat.

Yeah I stopped even bothering to read his bullshit "new info".

ETA: So just for the fun of it I went back and read that latest update to see if it's still the same old shit. Yep. Same old shit. He literally used a lot of words to say nothing at all. There's absolutely no info in that piece that everyone who's been paying even the slightest attention didn't already know.

Edited by wood

Just now, Dilligas said:

Spent a couple hours there a few years ago drinking beer and eating a pretty damn good burger. Husband and wife from Austin I think owned it or were running it. He was a chef

And then you can mosey a short distance down to Garrison Brothers Bourbon distillery

[What]/Tell us about the burger.

840ed598e54ebd310d257bc04cf2db4d.jpg

• immamac changed the title to Urban Meyer or bust
  • immamac locked this topic
  • immamac unlocked this topic