Urban Meyer or bust

BurntOrange&White

9 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

Yeah I don't get the love for Cristobal at all. The guy has a sub-.500 winning percentage and it's becoming pretty apparent that he misused Justin Herbert, a guy who is looking like a future elite NFL QB.

Matt Campbell all day, if it's not Urban. Proven, in-conference, consistent upward trajectory, no gimmicks, no alcoholism, no bullshit. Just a good coach. 

But f that noise, let's just get Urbs.

Campbell is Herman 2.0.  Upsets teams then loses to Maryland or the Rajun Cajuns. Every yr Herman and Herman 2.0.do that. Fuck they should've of lost against N. Iowa too.  Do not want. 

• Hook 'Em 5

1 minute ago, satyanash said:

Are any of you familiar with what a colossal mess Cristobal inherited at FIU? He was literally coaching out of a bloody trailer during his first year, and after that they shifted him to some spare offices in the basketball arena. That's right, they had no dedicated space for football so he and his staff had to share space with the basketball team. Indoor volleyball practice courts were used as unit meeting rooms. The video room was set up in a converted shower room that was originally apart of the basketball team's locker room.

The AD was a mess, and when Cristobal demanded changes they refused to listen and let him go instead. That's why he was fired. His 27-47 record was something of a minor miracle given the circumstances.

Found Cristobal's Surly account. 

• Hook 'Em 6

18 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

I know we aren’t talking sandwiches but I really like Hoody’s subs. Probably one of the best places to get them. They have never put any renegade Mayo on mine either. So I never had to chuck my sandwich in the trash. That makes me happy.

Hoody's is great, and Hoody himself is a very nice guy.

I love their cheesesteaks, but their meatball subs and their Italian sausage subs are also fantastic.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

"Despite what you may be reading"??? WTF does that mean? Have we been reading that someone else is conducting this search?

There have definitely been reports/rumors that the BMDs and Hartzell himself are running the show.  Nothing important in Davis' tweet other than it seems clear he's putting the message out there that CDC wants in hopes he may get some real info later:  1. CDC is in control. 2. No decision on Herman 3. Tapping the brakes on Meyer to help keep some cover on the situation.

I am only posting stuff for conversation.  When were the Meyers in California, according to Eric?  I think Shelley is in Ohio.  Two, the below post is very likely a troll, but this trinnov person seems confident and is contradicting Nahlin.  As for Joe rogan, he's a fellow celebrity, so maybe he would know Urban or maybe he's renting out a piece of property to the Meyers?

image.thumb.png.ebc7d3a425d0c79e4377845c75a8ca80.png

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Congratulations - you've just described every coaching option we have left.  Cristobal has experience at a big time program.  Has significant head coaching experience.  Is a damn good OL coach.  And can recruit like a son of a bitch.

I don't want him either - but I 'don't want' him less than I 'don't want' the others.

I know folks don't want Luke Fickell because he comes from a G5 school and we are done with that path but he may be the only one that looks closer to an Urban like coaching trajectory than anyone else if he manages an undefeated season. In another thread I stated the criteria.

1) 4+ years coaching experience (Cristobal and Fickell both have it, Tom and Charlie did not but Urban did when hired at Florida)

2) Won 83% of their games in the final prior season (Cristobal and Fickell both have it)

3) If G5 then had undefeated season  (Fickell has it, Scott Frost had it too and sucks at Nebraska but did not meet criteria #1)

4) Won at least 10 games in final full season. (Cristobal and Fickell both have it)

I guess it is those damn loses to Arizona State and Oregon State that bother me about Cristobal. If Fickell goes undefeated then he will have shown he has learned enough to not lose to anyone even if it is G5 like Utah was for Urban. In the end there will be 50% that would have preferred the other guy if it comes down to Fickell and Cristobal if we do not get Meyer.

Edited by DanTheHorn
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

I've accepted that if the Meyer hire doesn't happen that Cristobal is probably the best of a bad group of alternatives.  No (realistic) NFL options are particularly exciting.  Cristobal has a significant amount of HC experience - and some success at Oregon.  He'll recruit/cheat his ass off and you know we'll have a good OL (which can win you a lot of games).

My issue with Cristobal is if we thought Herman was a stubborn, childish, meathead and that ultimately caused him to fail at Texas holy fuck man. Cristobal is a meatier, more stubborn version of a coach than Herman. It doesn’t mean he also a stumbling fool who would rather line up Brewer out wide than Jake Smith or immediately rub his vagina and turtle if up by 3 points with 8 minutes left but from a coaching and personal style standpoint, imagine Herman on steroids. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Found Cristobal's Surly account. 

Did I also mention that he was 30 scholarships short his first year because of NCAA violations committed by his predecessor?

Like I said. FIU was a total no-win situation for Cristobal. He inherited a 1-11 team and won a conference title with them in three years. Can't ask for much more than that.

Edited by satyanash
  • Hook 'Em 3

First post after many years here and on shaggy. 

Actually have some experience in the curtaingate realm and want to believe he's in. As an architect who has worked with Double Tree here in Austin and for a short time with the Natiivo team at 48 East Ave in in Rainey, mid to high end hotels intentionally do not use the same interiors as other locations (especially textiles). The idea is to create a specific brand for each destination. Holiday Inn or budget chains certainly carbon copy those specs, but I would think HSB would have it's own designers input. Masterful sleuthing last night.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

Campbell is Herman 2.0.  Upsets teams then loses to Maryland or the Rajun Cajuns. Every yr Herman and Herman 2.0.do that. Fuck they should've of lost against N. Iowa too.  Do not want. 

And never spent a day with a blue-blood program. I think that could be a problem as our last two hires have been absolutely overwhelmed by the job — and those two had been coordinators at blue-blood programs.

1 minute ago, DanTheHorn said:

I know folks don't want Luke Fickell because he comes from a G5 school and we are done with that path but he may be the only one that looks closer to an Urban like coaching trajectory than anyone else if he manages an undefeated season. In another thread I stated the criteria.

1) 4+ years coaching experience (Cristobal and Fickell both have it, Tom and Charlie did not but Urban did when hired at Florida)

2) Won 83% of their games in the final prior season (Cristobal and Fickell both have it)

3) If G5 then had undefeated season  (Fickell has it, Scott Frost had it too and sucks at Nebraska but did not meet criteria #1)

4) Won at least 10 games in final full season. (Cristobal and Fickell both have it)

In the end it is those damn loses to Arizona State and Oregon State that bother me about Cristobal. If Fickell goes undefeated then he will have shown he has learned enough to not lose to anyone even if it is G5 like Utah was for Urban. In the end there will be 50% that would have preferred the other guy if it comes down to Fickell and Cristobal if we do not get Meyer.

He also called a fake punt, up 32, with 3 minutes left against ECU I think?  I like his style.  Whereas Tom is more of a will imposer

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Thammel speaking of keeping Herman next season shows he's knows little about the Texas side of things.

The Texas side, correct. 

1 hour ago, trythisathome said:

Didn't someone here say the other day that Thamel was Urban's mouthpiece at OSU? 

That was me. He has been a reliable shill for Urban over the years. He or Feldman will probably the person to first report Meyer’s decision if he turns us down, and if Urban wants to send out any public message through a surrogate about negotiations it would come from him.  It’s why I didn’t like his line that “if Meyer turns them down, as expected” in the article. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just want to point out the obvious. If CDC does land Meyer, this will have been a phenomenal effort. He will have taken a huge L and moved it into the win column. And it would also show that the BMD’s and administration really got their act together for once.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

There have definitely been reports/rumors that the BMDs and Hartzell himself are running the show.  Nothing important in Davis' tweet other than it seems clear he's putting the message out there that CDC wants in hopes he may get some real info later:  1. CDC is in control. 2. No decision on Herman 3. Tapping the brakes on Meyer to help keep some cover on the situation.

Yep. That tweet is a good sign imho.

2 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

I am only posting stuff for conversation.  When were the Meyers in California, according to Eric?  I think Shelley is in Ohio.  Two, the below post is very likely a troll, but this trinnov person seems confident and is contradicting Nahlin.  As for Joe rogan, he's a fellow celebrity, so maybe he would know Urban or maybe he's renting out a piece of property to the Meyers?

Tangent - Joe Rogan wouldn't be the worst S&C coach we've ever had. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, dillbirt said:

Actually have some experience in the curtaingate realm and want to believe he's in. As an architect who has worked with Double Tree here in Austin and for a short time with the Natiivo team at 48 East Ave in in Rainey, mid to high end hotels intentionally do not use the same interiors as other locations (especially textiles). The idea is to create a specific brand for each destination. Holiday Inn or budget chains certainly carbon copy those specs, but I would think HSB would have it's own designers input. Masterful sleuthing last night.

Strong first post.  You will end up ruling Surly. 

• Hook 'Em 1

27 minutes ago, futureman said:

it’s not happening and was never happening.  you and the rest of these sad fucks in here tracking the flights of irrelevant dipshits with no connection to the UT coaching position... it’s fucking baffling and ridiculous.

he isn’t coming, people.  go back to your shanties. 

Some people are just born to be the villain 

1 minute ago, closetohumping said:

may very well be bullshit but wonder if they have the same real estate agent?

quick google shows this horns247 comment saying UM and wife were looking at real estate

k0BkNT88

thread: https://247sports.com/college/texas/board/21/Contents/meyers-are-looking-at-homes-in-austin-155503302/

outside of that can't come up with literally any reason Rogan and Urban would run in the same circles?

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Duane Moore said:

The Texas side, correct. 

That was me. He has been a reliable shill for Urban over the years. He or Feldman will probably the person to first report Meyer’s decision if he turns us down, and if Urban wants to send out any public message through a surrogate about negotiations it would come from him.  It’s why I didn’t like his line that “if Meyer turns them down, as expected” in the article. 

Could also be Thammel going off information that isn’t from within the past week. We’re not privy to how often the two communicate. 

4 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

LOL. I wonder which one of y'all is Joe Rogan.

6 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Joe Rogan is friends with McConaughey as well as the Governor of Texas and a bunch of people in the Austin Chamber of Commerce now. Is it possible those circles are on the inside of this? But Rogan doesn’t even know who Urban Meyer is and he doesn’t follow sports at all outside of UFC. 

Edited by Newy25

I guess it is those damn loses to Arizona State and Oregon State that bother me about Cristobal. If Fickell goes undefeated then he will have shown he has learned enough to not lose to anyone even if it is G5 like Utah was for Urban. In the end there will be 50% that would have preferred the other guy if it comes down to Fickell and Cristobal if we do not get Meyer.

I think I’m with you. If we can’t get Urban, then Fickell might be my next choice.
  • Hook 'Em 4

3 minutes ago, dillbirt said:

strong fist post! legacy user - little reason for someone to burn a sock they have had this long over this topic...so no reason to doubt him from that standpoint

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, DanTheHorn said:

In the end it is those damn loses to Arizona State and Oregon State that bother me about Cristobal. If Fickell goes undefeated then he will have shown he has learned enough to not lose to anyone even if it is G5 like Utah was for Urban. In the end there will be 50% that would have preferred the other guy if it comes down to Fickell and Cristobal if we do not get Meyer.

I'm with you on Fickell, he'll be a great coach somewhere, but we're getting Meyer

• Hook 'Em 2

8 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

Hoody's is great, and Hoody himself is a very nice guy.

I love their cheesesteaks, but their meatball subs and their Italian sausage subs are also fantastic.

CSB, when Hoody was first rolling out Cheesesteaks, we got the first one off the line when we walked in from high school across the street and he was testing it out for the first time. Needless to say he nailed it, and yes, super nice guy. 

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Could also be Thammel going off information that isn’t from within the past week. We’re not privy to how often the two communicate. 

True, not everything Thamel says will be on behalf of Meyer, but anything Meyer wants out there he’ll use Thamel to get out, so have to pick through Thamel’s stuff to see if could represent a message from Meyer. 

• immamac changed the title to Urban Meyer or bust
  • immamac locked this topic
  • immamac unlocked this topic