Urban Meyer or bust

BurntOrange&White

19 minutes ago, horn_of_the_morning said:

Show me a coach who has not lost a few games where he is a favorite. I'll wait. Never judge a coach by a game or two but his track record in program building. Have we learned nothing from Herman?

Iowa State's run in the past few years is so anomalous given their sordid pathetic history, that you almost have to wonder if they are cheating their asses off. It is literally one of the worst jobs in P5. Yet their program is at a stage where they are in championship conversation every year now.

We all know what the xfactor is behind this upswing. It's their fucking coach.

All those saying how Campbell is Herman 2.0 need to read up on how he has built the ISU program in the last few years.

Well fuck UM.  Let's get Campbell then. He sounds awesome!

1 minute ago, burdine said:

It's not sexy but I would put forth Pat Fitzgerald at Northwestern as a Plan B.  46 years old.  14 years as head coach in the Big Ten with a 62-60 conference record at a program with huge disadvantages.  Doesn't make a ton of money.  He's no Urban Meyer or Dabo but he is no flash in the pan Strong or Herman either.

If you want a good coach, won consistently over a long time, that would be available on our timeline there are not a lot of choices.

Oh no doubt it would be a huge emotional letdown from an Urban type hire.  

I believe he turned down the Packers job to stay at his alma mater.

28 minutes ago, Horndog said:

Don't any of these people know how to use Zillow?  

Most mansions are not listed on Zillow. Hell some of the nicer houses along Shoal Creek aren't listed on there.  Some firms pride themselves on private listings.

Also, have you ever been house hunting? Pictures are nice, but you never truly know without taking a tour. If you wouldn't buy a house site unseen from the internet, why do you think a millionaire would?  

2 minutes ago, horn_of_the_morning said:
5 minutes ago, ztejas said:
There's a difference between making a bottom dweller relevant enough to maybe win 10 games or play for a conference title once or twice a decade and taking a blueblood and flipping on the afterburners to where you can begin looking the top 3 programs in the country in the eye.
Yes - ISU now compared to where ISU was is a huge leap. Where ISU is now compared to where even a program like OU is now is another huge leap. 
You can be a really good Volkswagen mechanic - that doesn't mean you're going to know what the fuck to do when someone brings in a Ferrari. 

So what makes you think Cristobal orany of the others know anything about ferraris.

I'm not entertaining Cristobal. I never have - you can check my entire post history. 

I am firmly in the: "If we don't get Urban then it's Chinatown" camp. 

That said, gun to my head I guess I would take Fickell. Certainly over Matt Campbell. Fickell's current Cincy team is better than any team Campbell has ever coached and you aren't changing my stance on that until we see Cincy fuck around and drop some shitty game (and I don't expect to see them do that).

Unlike others from the Urban tree - Fickell actually has a very similar background.

If we miss on Urban then I'm going to be pretty disillusioned no matter who we hire - but I could at least get up for Fickell or maybe a wildcard from the NFL or top college coordinating ranks. If we hire Matt fucking Campbell it will likely be years before I give a shit about our on the field product or support the program in any way - because it will likely be years before we see any results IF any. 

Whoever commented "yeah well give the VW guy a few years and he can figure out the Ferrari" is making my point for me. I'm not interested in SEEING some heartland Miss Flyover State trip over their dicks for 3 years and get swallowed up by one of the biggest jobs in the country. We've just seen this happen twice and wasted 7 years in the process.

"Maybe Matt Campbell pans out" - fuck that shit. That is complacent, loser-ass thinking and it's why OU smacks our ass 4 out of 5 times when we don't have a Heisman candidate on the field.

• Hook 'Em 2

35 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

lolwut? Campbell has never lost to Maryland, let alone twice, let alone with Texas talent. Campbell has lost to Big 12 teams, Notre Dame, Washington State, Northern Iowa (first game of his first season) and ULL in a Covid year. I count one loss in five years where Campbell had a clear talent advantage. One. Herman has dozens at Texas and many more at U of H.

So any coach that has lost one single game they should have won (in a pandemic) is Herman 2.0? That's pretty stupid. Herman has as many terrible losses this season alone as Campbell does in five years.

"If Herman can beat FSU, ou and Louisville with UH talent, what can he do with Texas talent?"

• Hook 'Em 2

9 minutes ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

Another similarity to tack on--his teams start slow early in the season. I think a big part of the reason we're so mad at Herman is that three of our seasons were dead by October. CFB is a lot more fun when your title hopes are still alive late in the year. We've only had one opportunity to really enjoy the hype of a winning team: the two weeks after OU in 2018 which were immediately destroyed with the 21-0 first quarter debacle in Stillwater. Fuckin Tom

Plus, he cries too just like the Herman 1.0 model. 

Edited by PassiveAggressiveCoach

Just now, closetohumping said:

"If Herman can beat FSU, ou and Louisville with UH talent, what can he do with Texas talent?"

Yeah, and he's had some good wins at Texas. He's also had a ton of bad losses, which in hindsight should have been pretty obvious given that his Houston teams did the same thing. Those bad losses are what has defined his failure of a tenure with Texas. Campbell has no such history of bad losses.

I'm not entertaining Cristobal. I never have - you can check my entire post history. 
That said, gun to my head I guess I would take Fickell. Certainly over Matt Campbell. Fickell's current Cincy team is better than any team Campbell has ever coached and you aren't changing my stance on that until we see Cincy fuck around and drop some shitty game (and I don't expect to see them do that).
Unlike others from the Urban tree - Fickell actually has a very similar background.
If we miss on Urban then I'm going to be pretty disillusioned no matter who we hire - but I could at least get up for Fickell or maybe a wildcard from the NFL or top college coordinating ranks. If we hire Matt fucking Campbell it will likely be years before I give a shit about our on the field product or support the program in any way - because it will likely be years before we see any results IF any. 
Whoever commented "yeah well give the VW guy a few years and he can figure out the Ferrari" is making my point for me. I'm not interested in SEEING some heartland Miss Flyover State trip over their dicks for 3 years and get swallowed up by one of the biggest jobs in the country. We've just seen this happen twice and wasted 7 years in the process.
"Maybe Matt Campbell pans out" - fuck that shit. That is complacent, loser-ass thinking and it's why OU smacks our ass 4 out of 5 times when we don't have a Heisman candidate on the field.
Fickell's Cincy team is as impressive as Herman's Houston team. Both looked as good in G5. Heck Herman even beat OU and FSU.

1 hour ago, Burt Macklin said:

If this is the line of thought, wouldn't it be better to just go get Cristobal? He can do all of that plus identify and develop OL without the alcoholism concerns. 

I'm fine with that. Gerry seems to think Oregon wouldn't let him go though 

12 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Maybe all this small shitty Texas town talk has inspired him to announce he’s riding in the hotter than hell 100 this year. 

I have ridden that race a couple of times and it 100% lives up to its name. Windy as shit and hot as ass. Just a beating of a ride.

6 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:
9 minutes ago, burdine said:

It's not sexy but I would put forth Pat Fitzgerald at Northwestern as a Plan B.  46 years old.  14 years as head coach in the Big Ten with a 62-60 conference record at a program with huge disadvantages.  Doesn't make a ton of money.  He's no Urban Meyer or Dabo but he is no flash in the pan Strong or Herman either.

If you want a good coach, won consistently over a long time, that would be available on our timeline there are not a lot of choices.

Oh no doubt it would be a huge emotional letdown from an Urban type hire.  

Read more  

I believe he turned down the Packers job to stay at his alma mater.

Yep, it's his alma mater.

Still UT is not the NFL.  I would kick the tires if we have to.  Hopefully we don't.

Consistency over time is hard to find.  At least you aren't betting on one or two good seasons which maybe are more due a great QB or a solid coordinator.

Edited by burdine

4 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Oh - BTW - none of this matters because we're getting Urban and CDC will be dead before he puts someone like MC on the 40 under his name - so pour your Zima down the train and quit clutching your pearls because this shit is going down and we're about to fuck for the next 5 years.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

Yeah, and he's had some good wins at Texas. He's also had a ton of bad losses, which in hindsight should have been pretty obvious given that his Houston teams did the same thing. Those bad losses are what has defined his failure of a tenure with Texas. Campbell has no such history of bad losses.

When Herman lost to Maryland two years in a row, I had a sinking feeling he wasn’t the guy and end up where we are now.

• Hook 'Em 1

35 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

So according to Brian Davis we may not be reading stuff that’s accurate? But we are degenerates. We can’t read. We are doing just fine, thank you very much. All this fear because they don’t know shit. Meanwhile, they are feverishly writing articles for when we get Urban that start with, “So can Urban turn Texas around?” 

We have sources on surly also. It’s not like all our intel comes from one place. We aren’t fucking amateurs. 

Oh I'm sure that what we're reading is inaccurate. That's where my confidence comes from that this is happening...

• Hook 'Em 1

21 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

Can you think of a single great football coach at any level that would do the backpack thing to Drew Lock that Herman did? I can't.

Try to get a mental image of Dabo, Urban, Saban, Bellicheck, Payton, Tomlin, Carroll, etc. doing that and you'll realize what a caricature Tom Herman is.

tenor.gif?itemid=5079972

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, horn_of_the_morning said:
7 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Read more  

Fickell's Cincy team is as impressive as Herman's Houston team. Both looked as good in G5. Heck Herman even beat OU and FSU.

Jesus dude take a fucking lap. I got up for Herman - just like 98% of the people here. You're struggling to follow a basic conversation or even understand my position.

Urban Meyer: Cincinnati has stronger schedule than Ohio State (247sports.com)

“If Ohio State plays and they don’t have a chance to beat a good team other than Indiana — because you look at Michigan State’s record and Michigan State is not a good team,” Meyer said. “You look at the Wolverines, they are not a good team. They’re really struggling. They could finish the season with one (impressive) win and you see Alabama has all these wins. Can you tell me Cincinnati has a worse schedule than Ohio State? No.”

Well he's kneecapping OSU's SOS.

• Hook 'Em 1

Rogan doesn’t give a fuck about Football. Every time a guest brings up football on his podcast he’s way out of his element. He definitely doesn’t care about Longhorns Football. 24/7 is getting trolled by an Ag.

Edited by CastHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

• immamac changed the title to Urban Meyer or bust
  • immamac locked this topic
  • immamac unlocked this topic