Urban Meyer or bust

BurntOrange&White

31 minutes ago, horn_of_the_morning said:

Show me a coach who has not lost a few games where he is a favorite. I'll wait. Never judge a coach by a game or two but his track record in program building. Have we learned nothing from Herman?

Iowa State's run in the past few years is so anomalous given their sordid pathetic history, that you almost have to wonder if they are cheating their asses off. It is literally one of the worst jobs in P5. Yet their program is at a stage where they are in championship conversation every year now.

We all know what the xfactor is behind this upswing. It's their fucking coach.

All those saying how Campbell is Herman 2.0 need to read up on how he has built the ISU program in the last few years.

I don't think Campbell is Herman 2.0, but Fickell is based on his resume.

Biggest difference between them is Fickell can probably tap UM as a resource for coaching advice and program-building, whereas Mensa fucked that relationship up. Campbell > Mensa, though

Was about to post the KOSU --> HSB flight that the tOSU boards were talking about, particularly to mention that that would line up with at least a couple things:

• post by the IT user that was screencapped here a few pages back and claimed that Urban and Shelley were both in Columbus this morning but would be leaving to somewhere today; and
  • the Squid's tweet with the emoji timeline that I now read to be showing the the Horseshoe/tOSU (magnet emoji) --> one flight taking off and touching down (three plane emojis) --> to final destination of HSB (magnet emoji + waves emoji). 
  • Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Jesus dude take a fucking lap. I got up for Herman - just like 98% of the people here. You're struggling to follow a basic conversation or even understand my position.

I'm following you.  The one big red flag Herman had at UH was losing to a handful of dogshit teams as a 2TD+  favorite (SMU/Uconn/Navy I believe).  It's why I was slightly pro Fuente at the time (who has laid an egg himself at VT).  But I was on board with Herman chalking that up to the type of thing that happens when you coach at a school like Houston.  Instead, we've seen it play out every single season here.  I can't fathom there is a coach in the country that has lost more games as a 10+ point favorite than Herman has the last 5 years.   So that being said, I think i could be sold on Fickell as an option.  Of course the problem is there is no obvious plan B.  Whoever it is will inherently be a letdown initially.

Edited by Skipper

15 minutes ago, ztejas said:

"Maybe Matt Campbell pans out" - fuck that shit. That is complacent, loser-ass thinking and it's why OU smacks our ass 4 out of 5 times when we don't have a Heisman candidate on the field.

we should get a sure thing - an up and coming DC like Bob Stoops or a good young OC like Lincoln Riley

28 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

Can you think of a single great football coach at any level that would do the backpack thing to Drew Lock that Herman did? I can't.

Try to get a mental image of Dabo, Urban, Saban, Bellicheck, Payton, Tomlin, Carroll, etc. doing that and you'll realize what a caricature Tom Herman is.

Oh no I think he’s the biggest dipshit ever.  I’m sad to see him go.  I didn’t say guys like that won - I said *if* they were to win, that BS would be forgiven.  The minute I saw him and a sledgehammer team up to lose to some particle board, I had a pretty good feeling about his tenure there.  

14 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

"If Herman can beat FSU, ou and Louisville with UH talent, what can he do with Texas talent?"

Herman for me changed the conversation to "If he can lose to SMU at the time with Houston talent that beat OU and Louisville then who can he lose too with Texas talent.". To me that is the new criteria since many made excuses for SMU at the time while a few of us raised red flags. Saban only lost to ranked teams in his final season at Michigan State. He did lose to a lower ranked Purdue but they did have Drew Brees. That is why Cristobal and Campbell are out in my book.

• Hook 'Em 1

Biggest difference between them is Fickell can probably tap UM as a resource for coaching advice and program-building, whereas Mensa fucked that relationship up. Campbell > Mensa, though
Actually, if you follow ISU program, you know that UM is a mentor of Campbell and he regularly speaks to him about coaching. This was most recently discussed by commentators during their asskicking of KSU.

Actually, if you follow ISU program, you know that UM is a mentor of Campbell and he regularly speaks to him about coaching. This was most recently discussed by commentators during their asskicking of KSU.

25 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

My friend, when we look back on this thread the talk about Rogan and McRibs will be seen as the “highlights” of this thread. Buckle up because this Palace of Degenerates will take this thread to new lows never seen before on Shaggy/Surly before it’s all said and done. 

I’ve had the shits ever since I ate that McRib yesterday. I hope you’re happy. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, horn_of_the_morning said:
9 minutes ago, DFW Horn said:

Thanks, I didn't know that bc I don't follow ISU unless they're playing UT.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, The Dog said:

Ohio State guys are saying that Meyer isn't even in C-bus but in Vegas.

That would make more sense I don't think he is in CBus.  It was dark this AM when he did that live interview on Fox and Friends. Columbus it was already daylight.  We have now trianglated on HSB, LA, LV.  The noose is tightening. 

There is a chance that is an assistant coach on that flight or mayo. Can't be sure. 

Edited by PassiveAggressiveCoach

Just now, Pato del Muerto said:

I thought he was golfing in Carmel, CA

I think regardless he isn't in Columbus. 

They also are pretty convinced that Meyer isn't taking the job. This is from Bucknuts that is posted up thread. I decided to take a peek over there and even their "insiders" claim he's not taking the job, and that Thamel's report of Meyer "expecting" to decline is pretty much him signaling that he intends to turn the offer down.

Just repeating a summary of what I read. 

3 minutes ago, derpyhorndog said:

Was about to post the KOSU --> HSB flight that the tOSU boards were talking about, particularly to mention that that would line up with at least a couple things:

• post by the IT user that was screencapped here a few pages back and claimed that Urban and Shelley were both in Columbus this morning but would be leaving to somewhere today; and
  • the Squid's tweet with the emoji timeline that I now read to be showing the the Horseshoe/tOSU (magnet emoji) --> one flight taking off and touching down (three plane emojis) --> to final destination of HSB (magnet emoji + waves emoji). 

If it happens, I'd imagine something will leak between 3 and 4 this afternoon....six at the latest. At least according to the tea leaves of the HSB flight schedules.

2 minutes ago, Fud said:

If you think Herman and Campbell are similar coaches, you might be a potato 

I'd say Campbell's resume is more similar to Dan Mullen's at Mississippi State if we have to make comparisons to somebody.

Edited by Bevo14
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Jesus dude take a fucking lap. I got up for Herman - just like 98% of the people here. You're struggling to follow a basic conversation or even understand my position.

98% of the people "got up" for Herman?  dude was a coin flip just like Charlie.  anyone with a brain was just happy it wasn't Charlie after 3 straight losing seasons and getting bitch slapped by 2TD's+ regularly.  There are about 5 better than coin flips out there. Campbell, Fickell, Cristobal, etc are not one of them.  Maryland 2 was all we needed to see but we rode it out, because it is what we do, and somehow he beat Georgia.

6 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

Bottom of the barrel? Y'all ever visited Vernon or Electra?

Electra has like 2700 people. It's and ugly patch of the highway, but it doesn't rate consideration.

Vernon is fine. It's an isolated small north Texas town.  There isn't anything distinctly bad about it.  It's got a killer steakhouse...and speaking of burger joints---Bevo's is pretty dang good in Vernon Texas.

• Hook 'Em 1

31 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

So, I've only been able to skim through the last 9,359 pages of this thread.

Joe Rogan is going to be our new coach, Matt Rhule and/or a velociraptor will also be on staff, and the HSB Marriot curtains are now a meme.  Did I get that right?

One other thing. Need all opinions on biggest shitholes in Texas

• Fuck You 1

1 minute ago, The Dog said:

I think regardless he isn't in Columbus. 

They also are pretty convinced that Meyer isn't taking the job. This is from Bucknuts that is posted up thread. I decided to take a peek over there and even their "insiders" claim he's not taking the job, and that Thamel's report of Meyer "expecting" to decline is pretty much him signaling that he intends to turn the offer down.

Just repeating a summary of what I read. 

Wish-casting.  We have 230 pages of it here.  They don't know shit.

1 minute ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Wish-casting.  We have 230 pages of it here.  They don't know shit.

Why would Urban need to "signal" he's not taking the job?  Wouldn't he just...decline the job?

Edited by Keef
typo
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

• immamac changed the title to Urban Meyer or bust
  • immamac locked this topic
  • immamac unlocked this topic