homeless

elfenix

10 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

Why in the fuck would I ever do that?  I have no problem with working for a living.  

A large number of NYC homeless (35-40%) work.  Unfortunately, the most recent data I have is from 2018.  https://nlihc.org/resource/employment-and-earnings-among-nyc-homeless-adults

There is an extreme lack of affordable housing in NYC, especially Manhattan.  So, yeah.  You can have a job and be homeless.  You are such a complete piece of shit.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

A large number of NYC homeless (35-40%) work.  Unfortunately, the most recent data I have is from 2018.  https://nlihc.org/resource/employment-and-earnings-among-nyc-homeless-adults

There is an extreme lack of affordable housing in NYC, especially Manhattan.  So, yeah.  You can have a job and be homeless.  You are such a complete piece of shit.

I would love to live in Tahoe.  Unfortunately, as an American, we are not free to live where we choose.  If we were, all those folks would be able to find affordable homes outside of Manhattan. 

Only one of us is driving the property values of NYC. Piece of shit, indeed. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 3

2 hours ago, nbmishoid said:

But you do have a problem with expanding your perspective on this topic.  Something your response indicates is as fearful for you as a rattlesnake. 

This is actually one of my favorite topics on the board.  I especially love the attitude from your teammates on the homeless in Austin, in particular. Almost diabetes level of compassion. 

• Fuck You 1

My compassion is for the hundreds of thousands of our fellow citizens who are in this state of domestic impoverishment.  The trip I recommended in Seattle I have taken many times, out of necessity.  It has brought, for me, more real humanity to the picture.

At the policy level, this problem has proved very difficult, for many reasons as discussed on this thread.  One big impediment is lack of will on the part of the non-homeless citizenry to help out.   

But deaths due to homelessness are not even as visible as the pandemic deaths, and 35% of the population were/are hell bent to maximize that number.  This consciously cruel perspective is hard to understand by those not afflicted. 

• Hook 'Em 1

45 minutes ago, nbmishoid said:

My compassion is for the hundreds of thousands of our fellow citizens who are in this state of domestic impoverishment.  The trip I recommended in Seattle I have taken many times, out of necessity.  It has brought, for me, more real humanity to the picture.

At the policy level, this problem has proved very difficult, for many reasons as discussed on this thread.  One big impediment is lack of will on the part of the non-homeless citizenry to help out.   

But deaths due to homelessness are not even as visible as the pandemic deaths, and 35% of the population were/are hell bent to maximize that number.  This consciously cruel perspective is hard to understand by those not afflicted. 

I'm glad you walk the talk.  The only other person I've seen so unwavering is @Bozo_Casanova

27 minutes ago, nbmishoid said:

BC not being on this thread, one would have to interpret that as snark.  Anyway, I’m trying for B_T level.

No, not a snark. You seem to actually care, instead of just protesting that you do, and only caring that they are no longer in your back yard.  #austinhomelessthread

3 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Here is the thing many people miss: they assume homelessness is a sign of wide scale economic depression.  In some cases, that might be true.  But it is much more likely to be associated with economic change and economic disparity that comes with rapid growth.  

That fucking KOMO (Sinclair Broadcasting) documentary titled "Seattle is Dying" is just so fucking stupid.  Amazon employs something like 40,000 people in Seattle.  Those are high paying jobs that didn't exist 20 years ago.  They attract people from around the world.  Microsoft is headquartered across the lake in Redmond.  The result is a crazy increase in rents and house prices.  That's not "dying."  Rent is the free market's version of keeping score.  And on that score, Seattle is doing extremely well.  Its lower income residents, not so much.  They are getting pushed out, which is just the free market distribution of resources.  In other, cheaper cities, folks on the margin could survive in shitty housing.  There is very little shitty housing out here.  

I'm not saying there aren't other policies which affect the situation.  But financial success is a huge part of it.  And that should inform folks on what it will take to solve it.  It sure as shit ain't trickle down economics.  Unemployment rates are meaningless when they includes jobs that can't pay the rent.  

• Hook 'Em 4

42 minutes ago, Tuco said:

Here is the thing many people miss: they assume homelessness is a sign of wide scale economic depression.  In some cases, that might be true.  But it is much more likely to be associated with economic change and economic disparity that comes with rapid growth.  

That fucking KOMO (Sinclair Broadcasting) documentary titled "Seattle is Dying" is just so fucking stupid.  Amazon employs something like 40,000 people in Seattle.  Those are high paying jobs that didn't exist 20 years ago.  They attract people from around the world.  Microsoft is headquartered across the lake in Redmond.  The result is a crazy increase in rents and house prices.  That's not "dying."  Rent is the free market's version of keeping score.  And on that score, Seattle is doing extremely well.  Its lower income residents, not so much.  They are getting pushed out, which is just the free market distribution of resources.  In other, cheaper cities, folks on the margin could survive in shitty housing.  There is very little shitty housing out here.  

I'm not saying there aren't other policies which affect the situation.  But financial success is a huge part of it.  And that should inform folks on what it will take to solve it.  It sure as shit ain't trickle down economics.  Unemployment rates are meaningless when they includes jobs that can't pay the rent.  

Completely agree.  And rents in NYC (not just Manhattan, but Brooklyn and Queens too) are higher than they have ever been.  

• Hook 'Em 1

There is a level of inherent selfishness in this country that is sickening. I do not have a magic solution to helping the homeless get back to a good place in their lives, but man they are people just like the rest of us. I try to be cognizant of the phrase “There but for the grace of God go I.” I spend a fair amount of time observing what homelessness looks like here.

It makes me sad to see the mentally ill fall so far through the cracks that their mind is just gone. When I see a person talking nonsense all I can think of is what was that person’s life like before being homeless became a permanent station in life? We cannot help every single person, but man if you have no compassion for those who do without then I have no idea what to say to you. Millions of our fellow citizens are soulless ghouls who are happy to get theirs while so many have nothing, but the clothes they are wearing.

• Hook 'Em 5

15 hours ago, UpperWestside said:

There is a level of inherent selfishness in this country that is sickening. I do not have a magic solution to helping the homeless get back to a good place in their lives, but man they are people just like the rest of us. I try to be cognizant of the phrase “There but for the grace of God go I.” I spend a fair amount of time observing what homelessness looks like here.

It makes me sad to see the mentally ill fall so far through the cracks that their mind is just gone. When I see a person talking nonsense all I can think of is what was that person’s life like before being homeless became a permanent station in life? We cannot help every single person, but man if you have no compassion for those who do without then I have no idea what to say to you. Millions of our fellow citizens are soulless ghouls who are happy to get theirs while so many have nothing, but the clothes they are wearing.

And the crazy thing, is it seems to be driven by American Christians.  So Christ-like, that bunch is.