Tires

7 hours ago, Sam Lin said:

What he said. Only times I knowingly make an exception is if it's a project car and I know the tires are just used to roll it around, then I'll hold off to replace until the car is ready go to back on the streets.

Yep.  Driving on old tires is why Paul Walker is dead.  Not worth the risk.

On 12/9/2020 at 9:02 AM, phdhorn said:

Speaking of things that don't have to do with tires, I have a question about tires.

I have a 2007 GT, when purchased had (and still has) a set of Continentals from 2013.  The car has low mileage for its age (I got it at 71K) and the tires were and are in good shape treadwise.  

I have inspection/registration this month, so I ran it by my local wrench monkey and asked his opinion, since I'd likely get it inspected there.  I asked him to look at the tires and let me know what about it.  He said the tread is good, some sidewall rot, but the tires are from 2013 so they wouldn't pass.  Of course the guy who actually inspects the car is probably not the counter guy but one of the underlings.

I meandered down to Discount and talked to the guy there and he said that any shop is required to fail the tires after 10 years, but they shouldn't do it now for these (which are of course about 7-8).

What say you?  Ever had your tires fail inspection simply due to age and not condition?  

I have no problems about getting new ones but figure why bother now if not needed?  Thankyouverymuch.

At around 6 years and no greater than 10 years depending on condition should be ok.  That’s what most sites on the internet suggest. And the age is based on when they were manufactured and not installed. See the link to tell the age of your tire

https://www.tirebuyer.com/education/how-to-determine-the-age-of-your-tires

Edited by EuroHorn

At around 6 years and no greater than 10 years depending on condition should be ok.  That’s what most sites on the internet suggest. And the age is based on when they were manufactured and not installed. See the link to tell the age of your tire

Wrong. Replace them.

6 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:
57 minutes ago, EuroHorn said:

Wrong. Replace them.

At 6 years. No more than 10 

https://www.michelinman.com/howLongTireLast.html

That’s the guidance you’ll find. But replace whenever you want 
The tires on the Carrera GT that killed Paul Walker were 9 years old. They were considered to be a primary cause for his death. I wouldn't drive on tires more than 5 or 6 years old.

But replace whenever you want.

Oh, yeah, I decided to cop new tires.  Got a pretty good deal on some Michelins.

I'd probably drive on older tires if the sidewalls were okay and tread was at least 5/32".  These were in that ballpark, although the sides were wearing a bit.  In any event, I'm good.  Thx for the comments.

1 hour ago, markstanco said:
9 hours ago, Chewbacca said:
The tires on the Carrera GT that killed Paul Walker were 9 years old. They were considered to be a primary cause for his death. I wouldn't drive on tires more than 5 or 6 years old.

But replace whenever you want.

I did not know that about the tires on his car. That is sadly interesting.

Well that and he was going 80-100 mph on a curvy business park road rated at 45 mph 

15 hours ago, markstanco said:

Back to the subject, i just bought my 3rd set of nitto ridge grappler tires for my new truck. On 20 inch wheels they are costly (1500ish) but i got 75k out of the last 2 sets. And I rotate on oil changes and monitor to keep at 35 psi constantly.

I just got a set of these on my Gladiator. Immediately did a ~500 mile round trip the day after getting them. I am surprised at how quiet they are.

• 4 months later...

Thought that this was a good thread to resurrect.

Want to give a big shout-out to Discount Tire.  They have really upped their game lately -- I'm guessing the "pandemic" had something to do with it.

I bought my replacement tires online and scheduled an appointment for installation.  Once I checked in at the suggested 15 minutes prior to my appointment, the tech used a new handheld electronic tire scanner to verify the condition of all my tires (I was only replacing two).  Then I was put into the queue at #1.

While I was in the store reading a magazine I brought with me, I was hearing walk-up customers being told that it would likely be a three, three and a half hour wait for their installation to be complete.

I was out of there with my new tires just 30 minutes after the scheduled appointment time.  Winning. 

1 hour ago, DalTxHornFan said:

the tech used a new handheld electronic tire scanner to verify the condition of all my tires (I was only replacing two). 

Guess they didn't have one of those in Decatur when I had them check/balance/rotate my tires. 12 miles later when I pulled in my local shop there was a knot the size of a baseball and mucho pulled cords on one of them.

I normally praise DT, but they screwed the pooch hard on this one.

I have no issues with Discount Tire. Last year I had a slow leak in one tire. Couldn't remember if it was one of the two I had gotten from them. It wasn't. It wasn't repairable. They replaced it for free, anyway.

3 minutes ago, Nolacycling said:

Tire pressure question. New tires say 51 max pressure on sidewall, sticker on truck says 32 max. Eyeball test says they're under inflated at 32. Which # is correct?

What kind of tires are they?  LT tires require higher pressue than passenger tires.  Sticker on truck is for stock tires.  May or may not still be applicable depending on what you put on.

sidewall is maximum PSI.  as a general rule, don't inflate to sidewall.  the sticker on the door is for the tires that came with the truck.  if you've replaced the OE tires with something else, you might need a different PSI.  try a few and see how they do.  also, check cold and warm. 

The ones near me have steadily gotten shittier, and I wish there was a viable competitor.  
DT is a great option for people who don't mind their wheels getting fucked up and studs sheared off by impacts.

As for tires, Michelin or Continental seem to consistently be the highest rated.

1 hour ago, Okie State said:

DT is a great option for people who don't mind their wheels getting fucked up and studs sheared off by impacts.

This.  I will say they did pay for me to have 3-4 studs they snapped once.  Seems like theyve moved towards torque wrenches that I’ve seen lately.  But yeah they aren’t shy about banging shit against your rims.  

This.  I will say they did pay for me to have 3-4 studs they snapped once.  Seems like theyve moved towards torque wrenches that I’ve seen lately.  But yeah they aren’t shy about banging shit against your rims.  
Yeah they paid for ours too. Just a pain in the ass and shows a general lack of give a shit on their part.

On 5/21/2021 at 5:24 PM, Nolacycling said:

Tire pressure question. New tires say 51 max pressure on sidewall, sticker on truck says 32 max. Eyeball test says they're under inflated at 32. Which # is correct?

I run my Nitto Ridge Grappler tires at 37, 38....whatever it takes. 

• 1 month later...

I need a quick refresher. 

I bought 2 Michelin Premiere AS tires (these) in January of 2019 for my wife's minivan. I bought 2 more in June of 2019. 

Do they put the newer tires on the front or the back of a FWD vehicle? The front passenger tread is down to nothing. I can't even get a finger in there to feel an edge on any of the tread lines. The front driver is worn down pretty good but not nearly as rough as the passenger side. Rear are both hanging in there pretty good. 

1. WTF

2. 6 year/60k warranty? I need to check but I suspect it's been about 30k miles since that first purchase in Jan of 19. Do I have any recourse here and what is the process? Retailer is Belle Tire. 

newer goes on back is the usual thing, prevents oversteer, which is a condition where the rear of the car hits the wall first. 

you need to rotate your fucking tires.  i'm going to guess you didn't do that and of course your wife didn't so you're SOL on warranty.  also, if you didn't, the rears are the january 2019 tires. 

Edited by elfenix
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, elfenix said:

newer goes on back is the usual thing, prevents oversteer, which is a condition where the rear of the car hits the wall first. 

you need to rotate your fucking tires.  i'm going to guess you didn't do that and of course your wife didn't so you're SOL on warranty.  also, if you didn't, the rears are the january 2019 tires. 

Nope, didn't rotate and I know she didn't. Why would the Jan be in the rear, it would be the newer June 2019 tires right?

26 minutes ago, Baboontyme said:

Nope, didn't rotate and I know she didn't. Why would the Jan be in the rear, it would be the newer June 2019 tires right?

oh sorry read that wrong.  didn't realize 4 tires were purchased in 2019 in two batches. 

if they followed procedure then yeah, it should be the june 2019 tires on the rear. 

and as okie state says you probably also have alignment or worn suspension with the uneven left/right wear as well. 

Edited by elfenix

I just bought some new Michelin tires for my F-150 at Discount Tires..   Pretty much the same tires that replaced the original factory tires.

A little nugget I did not know is Michelin provides a 3 year free roadside assistance for tire related issues.  It was brought to my attention by the sales guy at Discount. It also covers 150 mile tow, battery issues, gas, water, etc.

https://www.discounttire.com/learn/michelin-promise-plan

22 hours ago, Nueces River Rat said:

I just bought some new Michelin tires for my F-150 at Discount Tires..   Pretty much the same tires that replaced the original factory tires.

A little nugget I did not know is Michelin provides a 3 year free roadside assistance for tire related issues.  It was brought to my attention by the sales guy at Discount. It also covers 150 mile tow, battery issues, gas, water, etc.

https://www.discounttire.com/learn/michelin-promise-plan

damn 

I'm a Discount Tire customer.  Don't buy what the Discount Tire store offers you.  Get on discounttire.com and shop for what you need.  I found a better tire, same brand I wanted, for about 20% less (longer mileage rating, mainly) on there and checked out choosing the "have those tires delivered to and installed at the Discount Tire of your choice" option.  In my case they had to gather a set of 4 of those tires from 3 different stores in Houston.  I ordered about 10:00 AM and they had rounded all 4 tires up and dropped them at my local (The Woodlands) store by about 3:00PM that same day (they notify you by email).  They have trucks driving around doing this all day, every day.

Edited by Heisenberg
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 7/17/2021 at 8:59 PM, Heisenberg said:

I'm a Discount Tire customer.  Don't buy what the Discount Tire store offers you.  Get on discounttire.com and shop for what you need.  I found a better tire, same brand I wanted, for about 20% less (longer mileage rating, mainly) on there and checked out choosing the "have those tires delivered to and installed at the Discount Tire of your choice" option.  In my case they had to gather a set of 4 of those tires from 3 different stores in Houston.  I ordered about 10:00 AM and they had rounded all 4 tires up and dropped them at my local (The Woodlands) store by about 3:00PM that same day (they notify you by email).  They have trucks driving around doing this all day, every day.

I did that recently when I bought tires for my truck. 

I did a similar thing for my car, but through mercedes...It was due for tires and I got an email for a buy 3 get 1 free deal, at surprisingly competitive pricing.  I switched from the factory goodyears which needed replacing every 20,000 or so, to a Bridgestone with 50,000 mi. tread.    If not for looking on that website, I probably would have foolishly had them put goodyears on it again.   They shipped the tires to the dealership, and the dealer installed them.  And instead of waiting around, I got a nice loaner car to drive while mine was in the shop. I did have a little issue though.  The website allowed me to schedule the installation and arrange the loaner car, for a Saturday Morning.  The MB service department started closing on weekends when the pandemic started. I thought "great, they are open on Saturdays again".  Except that they are not.  I got there Saturday as scheduled only to find locked gates.  

Edited by Gil Bang

9 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

I did that recently when I bought tires for my truck. 

I did a similar thing for my car, but through mercedes...It was due for tires and I got an email for a buy 3 get 1 free deal, at surprisingly competitive pricing.  I switched from the factory goodyears which needed replacing every 20,000 or so, to a Bridgestone with 50,000 mi. tread.    If not for looking on that website, I probably would have foolishly had them put goodyears on it again.   They shipped the tires to the dealership, and the dealer installed them.  And instead of waiting around, I got a nice loaner car to drive while mine was in the shop. I did have a little issue though.  The website allowed me to schedule the installation and arrange the loaner car, for a Saturday Morning.  The MB service department started closing on weekends when the pandemic started. I thought "great, they are open on Saturdays again".  Except that they are not.  I got there Saturday as scheduled only to find locked gates.  

Discount Tire installation is free, then you can drop by any Discount Tire about every 5,000 to 7,500 miles and get your tires rotated and re-balanced for free.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Obvious (maybe) DT question.  They offer to sell you certificates for the tires.  In my experience the certificates work out to around 15-20% of the price of a tire.  Years ago, I always bought them, but have never had to use them.  These days, I just pass.  None of my driving is offroad.  

Basically, it's insurance that would require me to have 1 replacement for every 5-6 tires I buy.  Seems obvious to pass, esp. for someone who only drives "normal" roads.

Thoughts?