Tires

On 10/21/2021 at 7:30 PM, Baboontyme said:

I thought it was pretty standard knowledge that basically any retail warranty was a rip-off and never buy them. That's my general rule anyway. 

Thanks and I agree.  However, I continue to be surprised at how many folks opt in on these things.  Of course, DT automatically adds them in on evert transaction (you have to ask to remove).  In my experience, the cost of a tire replacement is not the most annoying part about a flat.  It's the inconvenience of changing the tire and then having to go deal with the tire folks.  Not to mention the risks incurred by having to change the tire near passing cars - w/ or w/o roadside assistance.  

On 10/28/2021 at 12:33 PM, Gil Bang said:

Yeah, I don't think that there's a 15% chance of ruining a tire in this day and age.   

I cannot remember the last time I had a blowout.  I think I've had 2 flats in the last 15 years, both repairable. 

I don’t get it because I don’t want a new 100% tread with my 50% treads.  Good luck getting discount to repair shit if it isn’t within 3” of the center of the damn tire. But I’ve got some great local Hispanic shops that’ll fix anything. Haven’t had one of their repairs fail yet, and more than one was kinda borderline.  

Waiting for a good sale to reshoe the wife’s f150. Right now it has LT ko2s but I want to go a little cheaper with this next set- toyo or nitto or even the yokohamas I have. 

now that the 1/2 ton isn’t the tow vehicle for the camper, do I need to keep LTs on it?  We do occasionally take both to campsites, so some dirt and gravel roads are possible. 

thoughts?

Waiting for a good sale to reshoe the wife’s f150. Right now it has LT ko2s but I want to go a little cheaper with this next set- toyo or nitto or even the yokohamas I have. 

now that the 1/2 ton isn’t the tow vehicle for the camper, do I need to keep LTs on it?  We do occasionally take both to campsites, so some dirt and gravel roads are possible. 

thoughts?
Toyo AT3 and Fallen Wildpeak AT3W are both great tires. Not sure they will save you much though.

Tire warranty is totally worth it if you drive a Tesla. Heavy battery pack just eats through the tread. In my old truck I could go 3 to 4 years without changing a tire. Now I have to replace them every 10-12 months
shouldn't be any different than any other car with the same weight (and I'm guessing the truck is in the same range). 

the bigger difference is (likely) summer performance tires on the tesla and instant torque vs. hard wearing offroadish truck tires and not instant torque. 

• 5 weeks later...
On 11/6/2021 at 6:38 PM, HRSchenker said:

Tire warranty is totally worth it if you drive a Tesla. Heavy battery pack just eats through the tread. In my old truck I could go 3 to 4 years without changing a tire. Now I have to replace them every 10-12 months

slow down bruh

im at 12k miles on each set of tires (winter + summer over 24k total) and theyre still at half-life or better

Michelin AT2's on my Tundra.  They'll more than likely dry rot before I have to replace due to wear & tear.  Been to the ranch many times and scrambled around in some decently hairy areas.  Ran E-rated BFGs and Cooper ATP's in the past on previous trucks.  Other than worse mileage, never ran into a scenario where the aggressive tread really saved my bacon.  

On 11/6/2021 at 12:44 PM, Pato del Muerto said:

thoughts?

For the price, Coopers and Falkens are a great option.  Hankook is another.  

3 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

For the price, Coopers and Falkens are a great option.  Hankook is another.  

Not in reference to truck tires, but for years it seems that I have had cars that only basically the OEM tire (expensive, good Michelins) would fit.

One exception on one vehicle was a set of Falkens, at greatly reduced price.  I was very happy with them in terms of handling, comfort, and durability.

Current vehicle has a lot of options.  Unfortunately, the lower cost ones aren't well-reviewed.

1 minute ago, TwiceHorn said:

Not in reference to truck tires, but for years it seems that I have had cars that only basically the OEM tire (expensive, good Michelins) would fit.

One exception on one vehicle was a set of Falkens, at greatly reduced price.  I was very happy with them in terms of handling, comfort, and durability.

Current vehicle has a lot of options.  Unfortunately, the lower cost ones aren't well-reviewed.

I ran three sets of Falkens on the previous two trucks before switching to Coopers.  E-rated with the 3-ply sidewall (helped with mesquite thorns and rocks at ranch).  They did great.  In the end, for a truck/SUV, a 4x4 with street tires can go many more places than a 4x2 with ATs/mud tires.

Michelins last FOREVER, hence their price.  Unless you drive a ridiculous amounts of distance, there are cheaper options.  For the average user, the M's will dry rot long before they see significant tread pattern wear. 

Many of the ranchers around us; for their dedicated trucks, it's uncommon to have 4 tires that match.    

These were the ones:

falken-wildpeak-a-t-close-up-3.jpg

On 12/6/2021 at 12:30 PM, dingleberryswitzer said:

Need some advice for tires on a expedition. 
breigestone dueler lx or

hankook dynapro ht  or

anything else? 

I don’t  really want to spend the close to $300 each in michelins

this is for a mom mobile, don’t need any knobby off-road shit. 

Ran several sets of Bridgestones on wife’s previous mom mobile, and they were ok.  Went Michelin this time and they have been better.  Would recommend either. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• 1 year later...

How about a 14mo bump for good measure.

F150 KR SCREW - 275/55R20 113T

OEM's: Wrangler Adventure w/ Kevlar. OK, not great, on-road. Not really worth a fuck off.

What I'm looking for is good in mud/slop, good in wet. Don't need a M/T specifically, too much on-road to be worth it. So something R/T or A/T.

Think about wet and sloppy from ground thawing. Not really deep, but muddy slick. I think any of the below would fit that, some better than others. Where I'm unsure is on-road wet performance, and balancing that against the slop.

Trying to narrow down (no particular order):

- BFG KO2
- Nitto Ridge Grappler
- General Grabber ATX
- GY Wrangler Duratrac
- MT Baja AT

Open to other options, but not willing to go off-brand, store brand, or something like that. Just looking for best overall for what I need.

Edited by thunderlounge
fuck chip brown

10 hours ago, thunderlounge said:

How about a 14mo bump for good measure.

F150 KR SCREW - 275/55R20 113T

OEM's: Wrangler Adventure w/ Kevlar. OK, not great, on-road. Not really worth a fuck off.

What I'm looking for is good in mud/slop, good in wet. Don't need a M/T specifically, too much on-road to be worth it. So something R/T or A/T.

Think about wet and sloppy from ground thawing. Not really deep, but muddy slick. I think any of the below would fit that, some better than others. Where I'm unsure is on-road wet performance, and balancing that against the slop.

Trying to narrow down (no particular order):

- BFG KO2
- Nitto Ridge Grappler
- General Grabber ATX
- GY Wrangler Duratrac
- MT Baja AT

Open to other options, but not willing to go off-brand, store brand, or something like that. Just looking for best overall for what I need.

Those are all pretty good.  The duratracs are M/T imo. They are better than the rest in the mud and sometimes take a lot of weight to get them right.  Ko2s or Ridge Grapplers imo.   Nitto is in the penalty box for me personally but the tread your looking for, probably the best imo. 

• Hook 'Em 1

48 minutes ago, RPM said:

Not seeing Michelin on your list.

BFG is owned by Michelin

Michelin does not make a real AT tire

OP, I've been really happy with several different sets of Coopers. I have the KO2's right now, don't hate them/don't love them (although they look fantastic). Will be going back to Coopers once these wear out.

1 hour ago, RPM said:

Not seeing Michelin on your list.

Correct. 

Michelin doesn’t apply here.

16 minutes ago, UnivTex34 said:

BFG is owned by Michelin

Michelin does not make a real AT tire

OP, I've been really happy with several different sets of Coopers. I have the KO2's right now, don't hate them/don't love them (although they look fantastic). Will be going back to Coopers once these wear out.

Looked at coopers, but not quite comfortable with them. Anything on my list seems to be equal or better. (Then again, they all are better than where I’m at with the wrangler adventure.)

The two main issues I seem to keep finding with KO2’s is weight to balance, and losing some pavement grip around the 20k-25k mark.

1 minute ago, thunderlounge said:

Correct. 

Michelin doesn’t apply here.

Looked at coopers, but not quite comfortable with them. Anything on my list seems to be equal or better. (Then again, they all are better than where I’m at with the wrangler adventure.)

The two main issues I seem to keep finding with KO2’s is weight to balance, and losing some pavement grip around the 20k-25k mark.

Yeah, I had issues with damp pavement after 25k on my last truck. Wet was fine, and dry was fane, but damp was like being on ice.

I'm in a different vehicle now, coming up on 25k miles on this set, and so far the issues have been much less. I'm in a much bigger vehicle, and a different tire load, but so far not as big an issue this go around.

Interesting on your Cooper opinion. The only complaint I had was the sidewall was not as strong as the BFG's, otherwise, they were superior in every way. My next set of tires will be Coopers.

11 minutes ago, Anton Chigurh said:

I’ve been tempted to switch to Cooper ST Maxx, but went with KO2 again last time since I knew what I had in them.

To add, I would get the KO2 over the regular Cooper AT3. The ST Maxx is a mud/all terrain hybrid.

Buddy of mine that lives outside Seattle in a rural area just switched to the Rugged Treks. Raves about them. He was a big Falken Wildpeak guy before, and claimed they were superior. Of course his use case is a bit different than mine.

26 minutes ago, UnivTex34 said:

Interesting on your Cooper opinion. The only complaint I had was the sidewall was not as strong as the BFG's, otherwise, they were superior in every way. My next set of tires will be Coopers.

It’s not a real complaint, per say. IIRC maybe it was a 2-ply sidewall? There was something that kicked it off my list. 

1 minute ago, Chewbacca said:

I've been really pleased with both the Falken Wildpeaks and the Toyo AT3s that are on my 2 Landcruisers.  Either one of them is worth a look.

Looked at them already, but they didn’t make the list for this.

The list really only has 1 true AT on it in the general. The rest are more R/T (hybrid). (Even though they may be labeled A/T.)

• Hook 'Em 1

Buddy of mine that lives outside Seattle in a rural area just switched to the Rugged Treks. Raves about them. He was a big Falken Wildpeak guy before, and claimed they were superior. Of course his use case is a bit different than mine.

Looks like these are decently new. There are not a ton of sizes or E load rating versions.

Just now, thunderlounge said:

mine is daily driver/farm/backwood roads.

granted the mud need is only 20% (if it’s muddy, ofc) but 80% or 20% don’t make a shit if you get your ass stuck. 😂

Heh, mine is 90% commuting, but weekends spent camping in places where you do not want a flat (and everything wants to make them flat). So I hear you. I really should have a second set of tires just for the other 10%, but I like the way the KO2's look\, and am lazy.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, thunderlounge said:

Amen to that. I can’t see a dedicated set just for running to the farm or other. Too many “on a whim” trips for me.

Currently leaning to the nitto or mt’s I think. Subject to change based on next round of research.

If you go MTs, I’m currently breaking in a set of Yoko G003’s.  Wish I could report more but they are new. They are definitely a MT though.  But I’m in a 3/4ton diesel and getting stuck is worst case scenario shit.  My last set of KO2s were loud early, and stayed that way for about 20k miles so figured I’m used to it now. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 1/23/2023 at 2:32 PM, thunderlounge said:

Amen to that. I can’t see a dedicated set just for running to the farm or other. Too many “on a whim” trips for me.

Currently leaning to the nitto or mt’s I think. Subject to change based on next round of research.

+1 for the Ridge Grappler. I've got them on my Gladiator, about 20,000 miles in. Quiet, good mud traction and performs great on wet pavement (I live in Lake Charles, lots of rain). My only beef is that they pick up rocks more than any other AT-ish tire I've ever run.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
1 hour ago, DallasHorn26 said:

Bumping this thread for recommendations. I have a sonata as my commuter car and probably drive 400 miles a week. Looking for replacements that will last but not break the bank either. Looking at either DT or Costco.

Get on the Discount Tire email list.  They run $110 off a set of four tires all of the time.  When I need new tires, I wait until they sent the $110 of Michelins.   Their website is good for narrowing down potential tires - for you, mileage rating would be important.

ETA:  I purchased tires from Costco, once.  The value of any potential savings was far outweighed by the pain in the ass of trying to schedule tire rotations.

Edited by Jerry Callo
  • Hook 'Em 1

Team Discount Tire here.  Always buy the tire certificate for Repair, Refund, or Replacement.  Their online shopping and appointment booking is the best I have ever experienced.  Almost always in and out in less that 45 minutes.  (Obligatory -- that's what she said!)

Edited by DalTxHornFan
  • Hook 'Em 1

I probably posted this somewhere in here already, but Discount tries really hard to price match anyone, including internet prices and sometimes including rebates. It never hurts to take your best price in there and ask.

Also re: the comment above about scheduling rotation at Costco, Discount rotates anyone's tires free, no matter if you bought from them or not. I've gotten some truly shitty service from Costco tire center, no serious damage but wheels came back just spooged all over with lube, dirty car, they just dgaf.

On 10/21/2021 at 8:30 PM, Baboontyme said:

I thought it was pretty standard knowledge that basically any retail warranty was a rip-off and never buy them. That's my general rule anyway. 

Opened this thread and it landed on this post by Mr. Smarty Pants who now checks his driveway with a magnetic sweeper every time a contractor leaves and is $440 poorer.

10 hours ago, Jerry Callo said:

Get on the Discount Tire email list.  They run $110 off a set of four tires all of the time.  When I need new tires, I wait until they sent the $110 of Michelins.   Their website is good for narrowing down potential tires - for you, mileage rating would be important.

ETA:  I purchased tires from Costco, once.  The value of any potential savings was far outweighed by the pain in the ass of trying to schedule tire rotations.

thanks for the tip

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I just put Toyo Open Country A/T 3’s on my truck, and they’re amazing so far. Grippy on the road, quiet, and look great.

I found this website that does independent tire reviews, and his only bias seems to be for discount tire, and not too a tire brand. He includes a nice comparison table in this link:

https://tireterrain.com/toyo-open-country-at3-review/

• Like 1

On 6/20/2023 at 8:59 PM, Baboontyme said:

Opened this thread and it landed on this post by Mr. Smarty Pants who now checks his driveway with a magnetic sweeper every time a contractor leaves and is $440 poorer.

Man my driveway is cracked, looks like a river delta topography map, and I got a sweeper magnet. Swear somebody set off a pipe bomb in the driveway all the shit I found, even after multiple rounds I’m still finding rusted 2” nails

Confession: I’ve been buying tires for decades and I’ve long wondered if the differences between tires is not much more than marketing. The salespeople or websites love to show you the tread pattern. I don’t have a PhD is tread patterns. I can understand you may need a different tire in Phoenix as opposed to Seattle due to weather but most of us fall in the middle.

im in Houston so I need a tire that can handle freeways driving between 1-100 mph. Dry, hot condition or hurricanes. Brand new roads or pot holes that rattle the frame. What you got for me?

I also have noticed that manufacturers constantly eliminate top selling tires. You buy a new car with whatever tire brand/model. You’re satisfied with that tire but you can never find that exact tire 4 years later.  Disclaimer the sample size on my theory is 5 cars.

im comfortable working (attempting) to fix many things under the hood but tires are a mystery to me.

4 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Confession: I’ve been buying tires for decades and I’ve long wondered if the differences between tires is not much more than marketing. The salespeople or websites love to show you the tread pattern. I don’t have a PhD is tread patterns. I can understand you may need a different tire in Phoenix as opposed to Seattle due to weather but most of us fall in the middle.

im in Houston so I need a tire that can handle freeways driving between 1-100 mph. Dry, hot condition or hurricanes. Brand new roads or pot holes that rattle the frame. What you got for me?

I also have noticed that manufacturers constantly eliminate top selling tires. You buy a new car with whatever tire brand/model. You’re satisfied with that tire but you can never find that exact tire 4 years later.  Disclaimer the sample size on my theory is 5 cars.

im comfortable working (attempting) to fix many things under the hood but tires are a mystery to me.

Michelin tires are spendy, but have a great track record in this house, regardless of vehicle type.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

PSA: I've long looked at TireRack.com for reviews on tires. Can 10,000 positives reviews be wrong? :)

@After irth is right on.  You can absolutely feel the difference in quality in several of the top tier brands, but especially Michelin.  Once you get down to the stuff that came stock with the truck, maybe not as much.