Apple TV+

Lobwedgephil

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, Doug E. Fresh said:

Anyone watch Prehistoric Planet last night? Thinking about signing up for the 7-day free trial just for this.

Amazing, if you’re at all into dinosaurs it’s a great watch. 

On 5/28/2022 at 7:25 PM, naija said:

Tehran is really enjoyable this season

It's pretty good. Niv Sultan is easy on the eyes. It's like an Israeli Homeland except the female hero is likeable and much better looking.

On 5/30/2022 at 11:54 AM, F250 said:

It's pretty good. Niv Sultan is easy on the eyes. It's like an Israeli Homeland except the female hero is likeable and much better looking.

The portions of Homeland based in Tehran were the best episodes of that show, or at the very least the most memorable. You and @naijatalked me into watching Tehran and I'm only 2 eps in but damn it's so good.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 5/30/2022 at 12:54 PM, F250 said:

well, speaking of Tehran, wow. you could see it coming, but still devastating to watch.....

• 1 month later...
Man Paul Walter Hauser is CREEPY as serial killer Larry Hall. Black Bird is really good. Too bad it’s only going to be six episodes.

Masterful acting no doubt. We started bingeing yesterday and that dude is creepy as hell playing it that way. And what. Creepy childhood. Yikes.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 9/14/2022 at 9:50 AM, bonnieblue said:

Loving Bad Sisters so far, great little black comedy. Show is much better than the trailer. Fantastic music supervision and Sharon Horgan is again bringing some Catastrophe energy.

Just finished this last night.  Surprised this didn't get its own thread.  Kinda guessed the ending but still enjoyed it.

On 12/3/2021 at 9:30 AM, kingkoopa6 said:

I LOVE ACAPULCO!

Gave me similar smiles that Ted Lasso did..

Season Finale was last night.. so you can binge all in one go  :)

On 12/3/2021 at 2:21 PM, Noah Fence said:

I thought it was good.  Just found out last night that it is the sequel/prequel to "How to be a Latin Lover."

On 12/3/2021 at 2:54 PM, kingkoopa6 said:

I read something similar.. but more "inspired by " than actual sequel/prequel

A LOT of similar names... maximo, memo, don pablo, julia, chad, nora, hector, lupe

2 episodes of season 2 dropped.

Picks up where it left off. 

I enjoy the show very much. 

they brought in another baddie for Maximo

image.thumb.png.3838971c8c89728b04920cf5f7d4afe0.png

• Hook 'Em 1

• 1 month later...

Reading mixed signals on Slough S.2.  It will be eight episodes but dropped weekly, right?  Gonna affect when I resume my Apple subscription.  Such a great find last year.  Loved it and was crushed after it just abruptly ended after six eps.  After Lasso and Severance, my favorite show on Apple.  

5 hours ago, YGIFS said:

Reading mixed signals on Slough S.2.  It will be eight episodes but dropped weekly, right?  Gonna affect when I resume my Apple subscription.  Such a great find last year.  Loved it and was crushed after it just abruptly ended after six eps.  After Lasso and Severance, my favorite show on Apple.  

i thought it was another 6 episodes with the first 2 dropping on dec 2nd.  this means the whole season will air in dec.

• Like 1

Yeah, between my post and your post...somebody got their shit together at digital media relations.  First two drop 12/2, last one on 12/30.  Meaning, burning another free 7-day trial on Christmas Day night and watching all 6 and canceling night of finale 12/30. Should work out swimmingly even with the bowl game.  

At this point, are they still tip-toeing with another 6-episode arc for fear of cancellation after S.2?  I know a compressed season can feed a narrative.  Great way to end the year though series-wise.  

They're starting to teeter towards putting out too much content, IMHO.  But they know best.  Curious what their big play will be to satiate us all in late Winter/early Spring before Ted Lasso finale drops.  I mean in terms of the marquee series they push, obviously they got lots to work with.  

• 2 weeks later...
31 minutes ago, Speedtrucker said:

Echo 3

Solid little mil-sim hostage rescue from Colombia/Venezuela

22 minutes ago, Scary Stranger said:

Did you watch it? Trailer had me hopeful that it would be good.

I've watched two episodes.  It's alright, not great.  It's kind of like the Chris Pratt thing on Amazon.  Probably will watch the rest of it if nothing else is on.

• Like 1

On 11/28/2022 at 7:02 PM, YGIFS said:

Yeah, between my post and your post...somebody got their shit together at digital media relations.  First two drop 12/2, last one on 12/30.  Meaning, burning another free 7-day trial on Christmas Day night and watching all 6 and canceling night of finale 12/30. Should work out swimmingly even with the bowl game.  

At this point, are they still tip-toeing with another 6-episode arc for fear of cancellation after S.2?  I know a compressed season can feed a narrative.  Great way to end the year though series-wise.  

They're starting to teeter towards putting out too much content, IMHO.  But they know best.  Curious what their big play will be to satiate us all in late Winter/early Spring before Ted Lasso finale drops.  I mean in terms of the marquee series they push, obviously they got lots to work with.  

british shows have short seasons so 6 is pretty normal.  they'll do as many as oldman allows them or makes sense for the story but apple won't cancel it.

• 2 months later...

My dad let me watch him as a young kid in Chicago on SCTV.  Then I kinda forgot all about him until he pops up in the Christopher Guest movies I love so much.  Most of America gets introduced to him via the 'American Pie' franchise.  But this second act of his life between Schitt's Creek and being paid to travel the world and just be himself, really happy for the guy.  He's supposedly a sweetheart in real life and very generous.  

With all the great shows on Apple booting back up (still need to catch up on Slow Horses S.2) and Austin FC on the platform, guess it's time to start paying out the nose for it again.  Ah well.

Anybody got any good recs for 7-8 year olds on AppleTV?  If I can find a show or two with some positive messaging and/or educational element, probably help me sell the expense to the wife.  I gotta get her off the fucking Disney+ app.

• Hook 'Em 1

This week of Covid solitude has had me working on apple plus stuff. Invasion was interesting, but nothing new in the genre. 

severance, which I’m in the middle of, is really interesting to me. 

was going to try the shyamalon show until I saw how many episodes there are- way too long for his style. 

haven’t decided on blackbird.  

19 hours ago, YGIFS said:

My dad let me watch him as a young kid in Chicago on SCTV.  Then I kinda forgot all about him until he pops up in the Christopher Guest movies I love so much.  Most of America gets introduced to him via the 'American Pie' franchise.  But this second act of his life between Schitt's Creek and being paid to travel the world and just be himself, really happy for the guy.  He's supposedly a sweetheart in real life and very generous.  

With all the great shows on Apple booting back up (still need to catch up on Slow Horses S.2) and Austin FC on the platform, guess it's time to start paying out the nose for it again.  Ah well.

Anybody got any good recs for 7-8 year olds on AppleTV?  If I can find a show or two with some positive messaging and/or educational element, probably help me sell the expense to the wife.  I gotta get her off the fucking Disney+ app.

or you know, splash.

• Hook 'Em 1

I think we have a somewhat adjacent sense of humor and like of movies.  You gotta admit that movie didn't hold up that well of all the early Hanks pictures.  It's funny and warm but it's not a big re-watch movie and nobody I know under 35 has ever heard of it.  I liked it.  And Levy has maybe ten minutes of screentime all told.  

6 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

I think we have a somewhat adjacent sense of humor and like of movies.  You gotta admit that movie didn't hold up that well of all the early Hanks pictures.  It's funny and warm but it's not a big re-watch movie and nobody I know under 35 has ever heard of it.  I liked it.  And Levy has maybe ten minutes of screentime all told.  

you hush your face that movie is fucking great and still hilarious.

• Like 1

Yeah, I agree.  But Hank's 80's movies?  I'm going Bachelor Party, Money Pit, Nothing in Common, Punchline, Big, Joe Versus the Volcano, and the 'Burbs before I think about Splash.  don't get me wrong, for that to be your 7th best movie in a decade, that's fucking saying something.  And it was certainly his best rom-com (sorry Meg).  

For John Candy 80's?  Stripes, Vacation, and Blues Brothers (small parts admittedly).  Larger parts-Brewster's Millions, The Great Outdoors, Spaceballs, PT&A, and Uncle Buck.  Then I'm watching Splash.  

And Levy was barely in some of those movies.  I knew him from SCTV.  No harm in admitting most of the country met him in that crappy franchise (first one was fresh though).  

Back to AppleTV+...now I'm gonna scour streaming for "Splash" this long weekend and watch it all begrudgingly.  All tribute though to Splash...puts Glazer and Ron Howard together for the first time on a substantial project.  And they go on to make so much wonderful and gut-wrenching humor for 35+ years.  Plus I'm gonna cry seeing Candy in that role, I can already tell.

"For all Mankind"......what's the hot GILF up to in real life?  She down to clown?  

Yeah, that's a solid pic with a fair amount of laughs.  Just one way down my list if you let me pick candy films to watch.  That was probably, IIRC, Levy's biggest role in a feature-length movie up to that point.  Fairly certain.  There's about a half dozen actors in that movie from the Seinfeld/Curb universe as well.  

Candy was like Led Zeppelin to me of large Canadian comedic-actors.  His bottom 20% is better than than the best work of 95% of what's out there.  

This is six degrees of canadian bacon but was once in a small group with P.J. O'Rourke and he was talking about John Hughes and kind of ripping on Hughes a bit, they knew each other very well as pithy writers who held a mirror up to our 80's/90's worldview through the most unlikely of corners.  Most people knew he was kind of a reclusive, if brilliant, dickhead.  But P.J. said the only people lit up talking about were John Candy and then later on by proxy through John, Eugene Levy.  John was, and Levy is, apparently just great people through and through.  Maybe it's the Canada?  Maybe it's Maybelleine. /csb

I guess the funniest people I've ever met, albeit briefly, are Canadian, Jewish, or dead.  Sometimes 2 outta 3.  

This week of Covid solitude has had me working on apple plus stuff. Invasion was interesting, but nothing new in the genre. 

severance, which I’m in the middle of, is really interesting to me. 

was going to try the shyamalon show until I saw how many episodes there are- way too long for his style. 

haven’t decided on blackbird.  

Slow Horses is great.
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1