Apple TV+

Lobwedgephil

Climate change is like the nuclear holocaust threat I grew up with, but this actually will happen. We have so much fiction and many games based on a post apocalypse that it will be difficult to dramatize the future in a gripping way. 

Humankind is facing a pretty grim fate. I hope we can get enough movie stars and a very earnest creative team to make it all seem real for a few hours.

What an odd world it has come to be. 

I think someone on here recommended Bad Sisters. It's great three episodes in. You guys steered me right once again. Derry Girls and The Dectorists were great finds among many others over the years.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...
19 minutes ago, C-Man said:

How was it? I want to see it.

11 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I am also waiting for a Tetris review. If I don't get one, watching old westerns and getting drunk AF tonight. 

I fell asleep like 8 mins in But that’s cuz I had just got back from a 4 day stay in vegas. Starting it was dumb 

Friday had to work and watch lady bball. 

Watching horns softball now BUT when this is over I’ll start it 

Big door prize- they opened with 3 eps available. Pacing is slow. Idea is a bit difficult to give in to, from the ethereal provenance of the machine to how it effected everyone‘s behavior so quickly.  Assuming it’s 8-10 eps like most, I imagine I’ll stick with it to see where it goes. 

And this shouldn’t be a spoiler but just to be sure

Spoiler

Also, it’s a bit strange that people are so flabbergasted that the machine gives the same people the same result with multiple uses, when it collects their ssn and fingerprints during its use. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto

Just watched Tetris.  Holy cow it was a different world then. easy to forget how much has changed- I graduated high school in 89.

Enjoyed it. the double crossing double crosses got a little pedantic and repetitive, but it was worth the watch.

Yeah Tetris was pretty damn good.  not sure how much was actually real vs. embellished but it was very entertaining.  I didn't know the story at all.  game boy was a little bit after my time.  Atari 2600 and Intellivision era for me but was never crazy into video games even with nintendo 64.  

The David Letterman U2 thing was decent but I would have been down for just a Dave Travelogue of Dublin.    Maybe have Glen Hansard along to show him some of the sights.   Dave sure like Glen a lot.  

As ofr those who have said Bono doesn't have the voice anymore, spot on.   I did enjoy the songs they played but I would not pay to see them in concert.

• 3 weeks later...
35 minutes ago, kingkoopa6 said:

Ana was cute. She a lil baddie badass. 

movie long. I laughed sometimes. 

some cool superhero movie cameos 

Yeah... this movie was terrible.  But Ana.  I will forgive a lot if she is on screen.  A couple of the cameos were funny.

On a different note, Schmigadoon S2 is pretty good.  I've enjoyed the change in tone by moving into the late 60's/70's/80's era of musicals.  I find myself singing "welcome to Schmicago" randomly throughout the day.

45 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

Wait, what?  F. Murray Abraham is a weirdo in real life?  What is he alleged to have done?  I always liked that guy particularly since he started getting more re-engaged with UT.  Shit.

https://people.com/tv/f-murray-abraham-fired-apple-tv-mythic-quest-alleged-sexual-misconduct/

F. Murray Abraham's abrupt exit from Mythic Quest was reportedly the result of multiple sexual misconduct accusations — and now the actor is saying he has "grown from the experience." Rolling Stone reported on Monday that the 83-year-old actor had been fired from the Apple TV+ series last april after at least two alleged incidents.

The first alleged incident resulted in a warning and an advisory for the actor to keep his distance from some actresses on the show, according to a production source, the outlet reported. After a second unspecified instance was alleged to have become known by star and co-creator Rob McElhenney, Abraham was ultimately fired, according to Rolling Stone.

On Thursday, Abraham issued a statement responding to the allegations.  "This is a sincere and deeply felt apology," the actor said. "Though never my intention to offend anyone, I told jokes, nothing more, that upset some of my colleagues and as a result lost a great job with wonderful people."

He concluded, "I have grown in my understanding from this experience, and I hope they will forgive me."

I liked the character in the show a lot, and thought the episode with Abraham and William Hurt was one of the top three episodes, but fuck around and find out.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just started The Last Thing He Told Me…not bad, not great. E3 with some strong ATX/DKR/UT representation

the wife and I are watching this.

I did sit up and take serious notice during the UT talk. I chuckled at the corrections her attorney ex told her.

I also did the whole “akshully, the south end zone wouldn’t have looked like that back then!”

I regretfully watched all of Extrapolations. It was surprisingly bad given the star power involved.

I thought it would show the long term effects of climate change and how the world adapts and copes, but instead, it focused on small stories that felt like rejected Black Mirror scripts and only loosely touched on climate change. It was hyperfocused on these boring characters and plots and I kept wanting them to zoom out and give us a glimpse of the bigger picture, which they never did.

Do not recommend.

On 3/8/2023 at 7:05 PM, The Ace of Aces said:

Ghosted looks like some shit movie Netflix puts out that gets a 15 on rotten tomatoes.  

On 4/28/2023 at 3:05 PM, kingkoopa6 said:

Ana was cute. She a lil baddie badass. 

some cool superhero movie cameos 

On 4/28/2023 at 3:57 PM, Guadaloopy said:

Yeah... this movie was terrible.  But Ana.  I will forgive a lot if she is on screen.  A couple of the cameos were funny.

I saw her first!

Also agreed on the cameos, especially the one towards the end.

On a whim tried Schmigadoon S2 ep 1.; got about 15 mins in and cut it off.

I wonder where I can find this out, how much they are being paid, but my guess is this is a huge moneygrab for the Key and Peele guy. It's like when Nic Cage and Bruce Willis did those direct to DVD movies for the cash.

Edited by HamsterHookah

2 hours ago, HamsterHookah said:

I wonder where I can find this out, how much they are being paid, but my guess is this is a huge moneygrab for the Key and Peele guy. It's like when Nic Cage and Bruce Willis did those direct to DVD movies for the cash.

I liked season 1. I stopped season 2 after a couple of episodes. The musical numbers were just generally boring. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/10/2023 at 9:31 AM, HamsterHookah said:

i don't think a short musical series on apple+ is quite the payday you're making it out to be.

cage and willis are action stars and can help sell a movie overseas.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

i don't think a short musical series on apple+ is quite the payday you're making it out to be.

cage and willis are action stars and can help sell a movie overseas.

Then I'm honestly wondering why Keegan-Michael Key would agree to do something like this. He's in the new Mario as a prominent voice as he seems to be a big voice actor these days as well, he's got good projects you'd think he could occupy his time and legacy with.

24 minutes ago, HamsterHookah said:

Then I'm honestly wondering why Keegan-Michael Key would agree to do something like this. He's in the new Mario as a prominent voice as he seems to be a big voice actor these days as well, he's got good projects you'd think he could occupy his time and legacy with.

probably because it's fun and he gets to "work" with talented people.  actors do plays all the time and i can tell you it's not for the cash.

shooting a tv season is not like it used to be, and vo work can be done from home.

• Hook 'Em 1

Prehistoric planet season 2 is great, as expected. I'd have a hard time not liking something David Attenborough was attached to. Sometimes it's easier to watch a nature documentary about things that have been dead for millions of years, rather than creatures we are actively driving to extinction.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/5/2023 at 8:02 AM, Biff Tannen said:

When?  When when when?!?

1 hour ago, Speedtrucker said:

When will then be now?!?

Soon…

13 minutes ago, DDD Dad said:

How soon is now?

I have been waiting years for this, going back to when it was going to be on HBO.  There are even fake trailers ginned up by various companies trying to get themselves noticed for it.