Diablo 4

Michael Knight

• 3 years later...

Anyone buying this for the early beta access, despite the egregious decision not to have the necro in for the first weekend?

I’ve been playing hardcore D2R but once I get to the high 80s/low 90s I end up suiciding or just starting over. 

I think I’ll grab this one and see how it goes. 

• 2 weeks later...

I played the beta this past weekend.

Out of the gate, this experience was better than my memories of my experience with D3 at launch.

I think overall it felt a little slower story wise, but the world felt pretty vast.
We'll see how the story holds up, you really don't get enough into it in the beta, just the premise.

There was no horse travel in the beta, or there was and I didn't play enough to unlock it.
I can't see why it's needed because the maps do feel pretty large.

There's a lot of systems from the end of D3 in here, such as acquiring a legendary affix to add to a different weapon.
I think I enjoyed that in D3 but I also feel like I'll need more hand holding in the new game with it. The intro quests to these systems were very much click a dialogue box, read, and you're done.

You can acquire these affixes by running dungeons on the world. The dungeons show you what affix you will get. The world events, dungeons, open world stuff all felt pretty good.

I don't know if I like the menus, it seemed a little cluttered and unintuitive at times.

Customization was pretty good.

The combat felt pretty good. It felt a lot more impactful (played as a barb) and "punchy." I thought the audio was pretty great as well albeit a tad bass heavy. Think listening to a song on beats headphones.

I think the monsters and environments and art looked solid. My first impression of it was positive compared to my first impression playing a D3 beta, which was "different."

I think they're doing another beta this weekend or next so I may try it out again.

I only played Barb although rogue and sorceress were available as well.
Maybe this next beta will include druid and Necro.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

I think someone described it as D3 2.0 and it's not an inaccurate assessment. I mentioned it earlier, a lot of the systems from the end of D3 were brought over and I think they did a fairly decent job of it. 

Will the game have longevity and will the loot drop gameplay loop keep us coming back? We'll see.

Played last weekend and am playing now as a necro, my favored class. 

i like the game so far, but hardcore is going to be much more hardcore with the scaling mobs and a summoner necro appears not to be the nearly invincible god of D2. I haven’t unlocked my mages or golem yet, so we’ll see how that goes. 

Messed around a little more with a summoner necro. No idea whether this build will work in the end game, but I got to 25 with it in Hardcore without any stress beyond what’s inherent in playing Hardcore.

Summoning takes up two slots, so there are only four slots for other choices. Going to try leveling with some different choices there and see how it goes. 

Played it too, say vtaenz on and almost sent an invite out just to see what the coop was like, but decided against playing it too far. I liked what I played so far, so I had to stop myself so I didn't get burnt out or spoil the story too much. I'm excited for full release now.

• 1 month later...

Played for the first time during their final beta test this past weekend. Didnt enjoy the necro as much as I thought I would but thoroughly enjoyed the sorcerer so that will be my first character. Chain lightning with fireball enchantment is pretty fucking awesome. Will be running a lightning build. My brother is going Druid.

Played for the first time during their final beta test this past weekend. Didnt enjoy the necro as much as I thought I would but thoroughly enjoyed the sorcerer so that will be my first character. Chain lightning with fireball enchantment is pretty fucking awesome. Will be running a lightning build. My brother is going Druid.
I believe they nerfed Necro quite a bit from the previous beta. I think they are undoing some of those nerfs.

I think it also depends what build you make.
I made a frost sorc and it didn't feel great. But I heard pretty good things about fire and lightning builds.

For comparison on the Necro I did a corpse explosion build and chose some talents that let me create corpses from one of the starting channeled abilities. I had a blast.

• 3 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, speed817 said:

Who is playing?  I'm installing right now 😃

I'm playing but only able to play and hour or so at a time. It plays surprisingly well with a controller if you want to play on the console. And you can can play a character on your pc and load up the same character on your couch/console.

23 minutes ago, Yuk said:

I'm playing but only able to play and hour or so at a time. It plays surprisingly well with a controller if you want to play on the console. And you can can play a character on your pc and load up the same character on your couch/console.

Welp.....I won't be able to play.  No sound for some reason 🤬

8 hours ago, speed817 said:

Welp.....I won't be able to play.  No sound for some reason 🤬

Well it seems like the no sound issue is a pretty common problem on PC.  The work around is to ALT+Tab out of the game, disable your primary sound device, and then re-enable it.  I just power cycle my USB DAC and the sound will come on.  Hopefully this can be fixed up in a patch but it seems like it was going on during beta as well.

8 hours ago, speed817 said:

Well it seems like the no sound issue is a pretty common problem on PC.  The work around is to ALT+Tab out of the game, disable your primary sound device, and then re-enable it.  I just power cycle my USB DAC and the sound will come on.  Hopefully this can be fixed up in a patch but it seems like it was going on during beta as well.

Wonder if this is the sound problem I have with WOW - it'll default to a "system sound" setting which is not my speakers and I have to go in and select the speakers (or headphone) for it to properly work.

40 minutes ago, UT_OB1 said:

I’ve never played a Diablo game on anything but a PC. Is it worth playing on ps5?

It plays better than you'd expect. But if you're an old-timer, you should probably stick with the Mouse/Keyboard.

4 hours ago, UT_OB1 said:

I’ve never played a Diablo game on anything but a PC. Is it worth playing on ps5?

There are some movement advantages on consoles. There are some QoL advantages on PC. If you’re fine with a controller you should be fine playing it on console. 

4 hours ago, Fastbreak said:

I was playing in 4K max last night on my laptop and it seriously almost melted it.  First my keyboard stopped working then then it just completely locked up

Runs great on my 3080 and 42" OLED but the fans do kick on every once in a while.

33 minutes ago, speed817 said:

Runs great on my 3080 and 42" OLED but the fans do kick on every once in a while.

I put a box fan in front of my 3080. After a few consecutive dungeons it sounded like I was on an aircraft carrier during a launch exercise. Seemed to help the GPU but it was just one noise for another. 

Edited by Doc Daneeka

Is the story a little different from the beta? Or is the world randomized? Some stuff feels the same but some feels different.

I should have written down the Necro build had during the beta because I really liked it. Now I can’t remember how I had it configured and I’m kind of all over the place. Might start over with a mage.

2 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

Is the story a little different from the beta? Or is the world randomized? Some stuff feels the same but some feels different.

I should have written down the Necro build had during the beta because I really liked it. Now I can’t remember how I had it configured and I’m kind of all over the place. Might start over with a mage.

I can’t think of anything different about the story. 

After the beta, they nerfed the minions for the server slam, then buffed them back a little.

There are all kinds of necro builds around. Apparently, the minions are still too weak at higher levels but I’m still loving mine at level 55. Long way to go. I started leveling a blood necro for when my summoner eventually dies. 

I’m currently maxed on the basic blood stuff and I’m cruising around with skeletons and a golem. It sucks to have to take up two action slots but I guess that’s the balance. I like a lot of the offensive skills like Bone Spear, Reap, Sever, Blood Lance etc. Maybe that means I really should have picked a more attacking class.

I realized I didn’t have any recourse when I really got swarmed so I added Bone Storm which is helpful. But really I just use the shit out of Corpse Explosion.

32 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

I’m currently maxed on the basic blood stuff and I’m cruising around with skeletons and a golem. It sucks to have to take up two action slots but I guess that’s the balance. I like a lot of the offensive skills like Bone Spear, Reap, Sever, Blood Lance etc. Maybe that means I really should have picked a more attacking class.

I realized I didn’t have any recourse when I really got swarmed so I added Bone Storm which is helpful. But really I just use the shit out of Corpse Explosion.

My summoner uses the hell out of bone storm. Bone shards to generate essence. Bone Spirit to nuke. Bone Storm for bosses, elites, and groups. Decrepify to slow and weaken the mobs. Golem runs in and taunts. Skeletons hit and use cold spells. It’s worked well so far. 

I just started a blood necro who’s only using golem and sacrificing the skeletons. So far, so good, but only level 26. 

Edit: I’m far from an expert but if feels like sticking with a single school of magic works better when you start finding legendaries and synergize better with talents. A talent that helps blood damage does fuckall when you’re casting a bone spell, for example, even if it helps when you cast a blood spell. 

Edited by Doc Daneeka

Just got to 58 on hardcore. My minions have been fading for a level and a half now. I don’t know whether it’s their fault yet or if my gear is subpar for my level. I can still kill pretty quickly but elite aoe guts them if I don’t heal on cooldown and sometimes even then.