Matthew Rhys as Perry Mason HBO

Michael Knight

Awesome, I thought this was a limited series.
That what you say when you are HBO and don't want to look like you started a show that failed. Premier ratings were up there with Westwold.

Perry's E.B./Lithgow impersonation at the end was fantastic.

Kermit’s shitty theory: baby is still alive. They’re going to “resurrect“ it. It’s probably a stupid theory, but preacher lady is fucking all kinds of shady and that’s something a Pentecostal, tent preacher would do. Her and the squirrely church guy with a goatee paid the idiots to kidnap the baby, and replaced it with another one. 

• Like 1

I don't care if the baby is still alive or not but I fucking love this show. Slow burn is starting to finally pay off. 

There has to be some major connection to preacher lady, as she is getting WAY too much annoying screen time to not. In fact that is really the only thing I don't like about the show so far. 

Rhys and the chick playing Della are killing it.

I think it's more Sister Alice is really the only pure person in the whole church. The rest are all grifters. The portions with Officer Drake are tremendous. That's my real moment of tension each week because he's right that he and his wife are the most likely to be killed and no one blinks an eye. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, mdmost said:

I think it's more Sister Alice is really the only pure person in the whole church. The rest are all grifters. The portions with Officer Drake are tremendous. That's my real moment of tension each week because he's right that he and his wife are the most likely to be killed and no one blinks an eye. 

Robert Patrick is involved somehow, him hiring EB doesn't make a lot of sense.

3 hours ago, RPM said:

I really hope it's a look they were going for, but he really looks gaunt. Hope he's not sick irl.

Yeah, I hope not, too. He's supposed to be a carousing heavy drinker. E.B. called him a degenerate, so let's hope it's the look of the character. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Wade said:

I'm in on this show, but have a problem with Perry's motivation.   I get he's trying to redeem himself, but he's so wrapped up in saving the nutty broad I can't buy it.  That screaming scene with Whig was lame

the script is poorly written and not realistic.  the dialog between perry and whig and their reactions seemed forced, same with the dialog between perry and the hispanic chick.

20 hours ago, Wade said:

I'm in on this show, but have a problem with Perry's motivation.   I get he's trying to redeem himself, but he's so wrapped up in saving the nutty broad I can't buy it.  That screaming scene with Whig was lame

From personal experience when you’re in the middle of a murder trial you’re a mushroom cloud laying motherfucker, motherfucker

I think it also has to do with him being tired of being pushed around by people in power. He's had to scrape by being scummy. Now he has a chance to redeem himself, save someone from being railroaded, and get back at the power structure that runs the city. He wants to be respectable so he can see his kid. 

Edited by mdmost
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

that graveyard scene was wild 

Yeah, can't say I was paying 100% attention, but not sure it made sense.  I get people were anti-preacher lady but when the coffin turned up empty, it was like everyone just started fighting each other.  How would you know who's on who's side or anything else.  Was there any logic, or just to be assumed everyone was just in a frenzy so started beating the hell out of whoever was net to them?

Not sure when it's okay to post spoilers.  But very nice finesse by Burger to land his new lead investigator.

I enjoyed this quite a bit. Maybe a few weak spots but overall I thought the script, acting, and production was great. It’s set up nicely for next season which I’ll be looking forward to.
  • Hook 'Em 1