Homemade Pizza Tips...Just the Tips

Landomatic

3 hours ago, Poolflood said:

Wandering Academy today and discovered they carry Ooni so got the 12" koda.

Need to get the accoutrements.   Besides peel and infrared thermometer, what else do I need?  Turning peel?  Secret flour from Italy?  Pepperoni from....

You get the drift.  I got an oven, bad weather and Amazon prime.  Spend my money! 

Check out the sugar baby thread and then order delivery.  Post pics.

18 hours ago, Poolflood said:

Wandering Academy today and discovered they carry Ooni so got the 12" koda.

Need to get the accoutrements.   Besides peel and infrared thermometer, what else do I need?  Turning peel?  Secret flour from Italy?  Pepperoni from....

You get the drift.  I got an oven, bad weather and Amazon prime.  Spend my money! 

I don't have an Ooni so other people's MMV.  But I just use the same metal peel for everything.  I may not know what I'm missing, but haven't ever felt the need for a specific turning one or a wooden one.

I don't get all that into making dough so I just get that pre-made from Central Market or Whole Foods (both are pretty good).  Grease never worth the squeak for me, personally.  But, I also don't like to bake.

On the pepperoni, I've tried a lot of different ones and Molinari & Sons and Fiorucci are my two favorites (again I think both available from CM or WF) but people also love DeLallo which would be a close second for me.

Take the time to read this whole thread.  There's a ton of knowledge in here.

3 hours ago, CycleTex87 said:

Those will slam.  I've found that for myself, less is more when it comes to sauce and toppings.  Looks like you've hit the proportions correctly.  

Agreed. There's more pepperoni underneath the cheese as the Kenjii recipe says to put half the pepperoni down before sprinkling the cheese. I put down more than half and then just a couple on top because that's all I had left. I also ran out of the homemade pizza sauce from the recipe -- I let it reduce too much, I think -- so I had to put a little Rao's marinara to finish off the last "stripe" of sauce. Damn good stuff. I've decided I need to order another Detroit pan so I can bake two at the same time!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, C-Man said:

I also found out -- thanks Mrs. C-Man -- that I have a bread hook attachment for our KitchenAid mixer. Cutting out the 10 minutes or more of heavy kneading (that's a workout) is a nice bonus!

The dough hook is a game changer for all things bread and pizza. 

If you're getting variation like that, there are a couple contributors.

The obvious question is whether you're using the same ingredients every time (meaning are you changing brand of 00 due to availability, etc?)

More importantly, are you measuring quantities by weight? Different sections of a package or different scooping methods will give you density variation.

And a big one for any baked item is the environment. Temps matter a lot, humidity a little. What is the ambient temp when you are working on this stuff? What is the water temp you use? Is it freezing from the tap, is it warm from summer heat, etc. Related to that, what about the temperature of your bowl and countertop when you work the dough?

Minimize those variations and you'll get much more consistent results.

Edited by Sam Lin
spelling
  • Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, Sam Lin said:

If you're getting variation like that, there are a couple contributors.

The obvious question is whether you're using the same ingredients every time (meaning are you changing brand of 00 due to availability, etc?)

More importantly, are you measuring quantities by weight? Different sections of a package or different scooping methods will give you density variation.

And a big one for any baked item is the environment. Temps matter a lot, humidity a little. What is the ambient temp when you are working on this stuff? What is the water temp you use? Is it freezing from the tap, is it warm from summer heat, etc. Related to that, what about the temperature of your bowl and countertop when you work the dough?

Minimize those variations and you'll get much more consistent results.

Yeah, I've been all over the place trying different recipes until I just said fuck it and started buy dough balls. 

the trick for NYT is hit stop (escape key) before the page finishes loading. 

Ingredients

• 153 grams 00 flour (1 cup plus 1 tablespoon)
  • 153 grams all-purpose flour (1 cup plus 1 tablespoon and 2 teaspoons)
  • 8 grams fine sea salt (1 teaspoon)
  • 2 grams active dry yeast (3/4 teaspoon)
  • 4 grams extra-virgin olive oil (1 teaspoon)

•  
    Nutritional Information

•  

Preparation

1. In a large mixing bowl, combine flours and salt.
  2. In a small mixing bowl, stir together 200 grams (a little less than 1 cup) lukewarm tap water, the yeast and the olive oil, then pour it into flour mixture. Knead with your hands until well combined, approximately 3 minutes, then let the mixture rest for 15 minutes.
  3. Knead rested dough for 3 minutes. Cut into 2 equal pieces and shape each into a ball. Place on a heavily floured surface, cover with dampened cloth, and let rest and rise for 3 to 4 hours at room temperature or for 8 to 24 hours in the refrigerator. (If you refrigerate the dough, remove it 30 to 45 minutes before you begin to shape it for pizza.)
  4. To make pizza, place each dough ball on a heavily floured surface and use your fingers to stretch it, then your hands to shape it into rounds or squares. Top and bake.

Hungry for more recipes?

Get recipes, tips and special offers in your inbox. Opt out or contact us anytime. See our Privacy Policy. 

Like this recipe?
Save to Recipe Box
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

The ooni app has a great recipe that has never failed me.

Kitchenaid is a funny thing.  Making pizza dough was the death of my first machine 3 months ago, so we got the larger one as a replacement.  First time I made dough, it started smoking.  Blows my mind if that machine can't take a little kneading for 5-10 min

1 hour ago, LosIllini said:

... Or, use Firefox and Bypass Paywalls

Not to derail this, but I was using firefox.  I've got it set to private mode, which may be part of my problem.

The "esc" thing worked well though.

Edited by dcbc

• 3 months later...

Finally grabbed me an Ooni Koda gas.  Very few stores had it in stock.  The 1 that did... had no gas canisters (they "forgot to order it").  Like...the fuck, bro?

Already started my dough tonight.  Letting it proof in the oven for 1 or 2 days.  Middle of the week will grab some propane and give it the first fire.

• Hook 'Em 1

The ooni app has a great recipe that has never failed me.
Kitchenaid is a funny thing.  Making pizza dough was the death of my first machine 3 months ago, so we got the larger one as a replacement.  First time I made dough, it started smoking.  Blows my mind if that machine can't take a little kneading for 5-10 min

Don’t be cheap. Get the good one.

https://www.kitchenaid.com/countertop-appliances/commercial-products/commercial-stand-mixers/p.nsf-certified-commercial-series-8-qt-bowl-lift-stand-mixer.ksm8990dp.html?

On 5/31/2021 at 10:43 PM, 52-80 said:

Finally grabbed me an Ooni Koda gas.  Very few stores had it in stock.  The 1 that did... had no gas canisters (they "forgot to order it").  Like...the fuck, bro?

Already started my dough tonight.  Letting it proof in the oven for 1 or 2 days.  Middle of the week will grab some propane and give it the first fire.

Ooni is dope as fuck.  Was a huge skeptic.  Turns out, this thing pumps mad heat and the small chamber keeps it extremely hot everywhere.

Previously used a baking stone in conventional oven.  Baking stone measured 500F/260C, with oven on max broil thats supposed to be 200-250C setting.  Doesnt compare to the Ooni.  Supposed to go up to 900F/500C but I was already cooking at 650F/350C and seeing that crust instantly bubble and brown was magic

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

proof.

image.png

i toasted some of the basil but this was literally the first pie ever made with it. 

(theres an official neapolitan pizza guide which says to put basil on pie before cooking for the flavor to bloom into the pizza.  next time i will put it half way into the cook when i rotate the pie)

https://www.pizzanapoletana.org/en/ricetta_pizza_napoletana

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Did pizza on the grill tonight. First time to ever do it. Pretty Much got all of my information from this thread.

Everything looked great but the bottom of the pizza was black.

Let the stone heat for like 40 mins while the grill was at 650-700 degrees.

Cooked the pizza for 12 mins and the bottom was black.

I put semolina on the stone before putting the pizza on it and it immediately turned black.

Assume the stone was too hot? Or I cooked it too long? Was cooking around 550 degrees.

This pic was taken maybe 3-4 mins before I pulled it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

64990221858__50C1A2E8-D7E8-4ABF-82AA-B095E52CE093.jpg

Ah french bread pizza. A staple of my youth. 
With regards to the pizza stone on the grill, I am by no means an expert.  I had issues with the crust getting black on the bottom while the top didn’t seem to be cooked enough.  My grill has 4 burners. I turn up the two outside burners and turn down the 2 middle burners and get better results. 

On 6/13/2021 at 6:18 PM, Firemans4Horn said:

My wife got me the Ooni Koda 12 inch (I prefer the portability aspect over the 16 inch)

Nothing at all wrong with the 12" (that's what she said).  But I move the 16 around from time to time without much drama. 

Boy requested a pizza party for his birthday, so breaking the thing out after a little hibernation this weekend. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 8/5/2021 at 8:20 PM, ScooterHTX said:

Did pizza on the grill tonight. First time to ever do it. Pretty Much got all of my information from this thread.

Everything looked great but the bottom of the pizza was black.

Let the stone heat for like 40 mins while the grill was at 650-700 degrees.

Cooked the pizza for 12 mins and the bottom was black.

I put semolina on the stone before putting the pizza on it and it immediately turned black.

Assume the stone was too hot? Or I cooked it too long? Was cooking around 550 degrees.

This pic was taken maybe 3-4 mins before I pulled it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

64990221858__50C1A2E8-D7E8-4ABF-82AA-B095E52CE093.jpg

20 hours ago, Sam Lin said:

Stone way too hot.

Stone too hot is the obvious short answer. Everything I learned when I got really into this (during early covid) is that the grill is really the wrong device for cooking pizza. It has more to do with the shape and all the room on top and heat escaping from the grill than the stone. It's pretty well documented if you research proper techniques for cooking pizza.

To get it right, the pizza should be cooked very hot and fast. Just ball parking numbers by memory here (because I'm too lazy to look it up), but a 700 degree cook should be done in about 3-5 minutes or so. But that's with 700 degrees everywhere, not just on the stone. That's why pizza ovens and regular ovens work better. You load from the side and the temps on both the bottom and top (called the lick in a real pizza oven) are pretty close to one another.

So, the stone at 650-700 degrees was probably close to the right temp, but the rest of the grill will never be close to that given that you have to open it up to put the pie in, check on it / turn it, and take it out. You lose that ambient heat really drastically. That's why you had to cook it 12 mins to get the toppings cooked, which is way too long for that hot of a stone. I'd bet if your stone was 700 degrees and your grill was around 550 at its peak during the cook, the ambient heat of the grill was actually averaging somewhere around 300 with opening and closing throughout, plus that heat was never very close to the toppings, while the stone probably held closer to 700 throughout. That's a huge temperature discrepancy.

So, the problem isn't technically your stone temp, well it is, but it's a little more complicated than that. The problem is the rest of the temp. To get it right, you need to figure out how to keep both temps closer to one another. Probably the only way to accomplish that on a regular grill is to get a kit that holds heat in more like a pizza oven, something like this...

257c5ca2a948fbb7f6fe66b660d83e54.jpg?i10

That will get the top heat and the stone closer to one another and keep that heat close to your topping, which is correct. Then you can cook the whole thing in around 5 minutes with probably one turn, as that front part will be cooler than the back, so the turn is needed for even heat distribution.

Otherwise, you need to have your stone cooler by a few hundred degrees, then you can cook it closer to your 12 minutes, which isn't as desirable.

• Hook 'Em 2

I'm pretty close to pulling the trigger on an Ooni Koda. Debating between that and the Fyra. The reason for going with the Fyra would be to get the flavoring from the wood pellets, but people have mentioned that the pizzas cook so fast that you wouldn't really taste the difference. Anyone have experience with both?

3 minutes ago, TheUofTexas said:

I'm pretty close to pulling the trigger on an Ooni Koda. Debating between that and the Fyra. The reason for going with the Fyra would be to get the flavoring from the wood pellets, but people have mentioned that the pizzas cook so fast that you wouldn't really taste the difference. Anyone have experience with both?

Between cooking in my oven and cooking on my charcoal grill with a wood chunk in there, I definitely can taste the difference.  Don't know about Ooni, but burning charcoal and wood, even for just a few minutes, adds something.

On 8/14/2021 at 8:02 PM, dcbc said:

Haven't done pizza in a while. Onlyfire for the Kettle performed well. My best yet.
8b22d4e1ab9ca89bce226c85f5dfbeab.jpg567f812accf0269797f8614cb1933c32.jpgb648e485822653b311dd12841109e347.jpg

Been looking at that. Do you just open the vents all the way and let it get as hot as possible?   Use a stone or just put it straight on the kit?

• Hook 'Em 1