Homemade Pizza Tips...Just the Tips

Landomatic

1 hour ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

I haven't made homemade pizza in many a year, but when I did I always made my pizza dough in my bread machine.  It always came out perfect.

I use a stand mixer with a dough hook.  Same idea.  Works well. 

• 1 month later...
Round 2 on the Ooni was pretty amazing all things considered. Scratch-made dough and San Marzano sauce. God, I love this machine. (Didn’t use a screen and took a friend’s tip and used semolina flour to keep dough from sticking to the peel at launch.)

e68a9d0a493e46d9469669952c90babc.jpg

8363dd8064e6776c6036fc9699a7c76a.jpg

eeaf1685cb9676a48288e8a56222acdf.jpg

c2ffcee13faf138c3257411a0aefef17.jpg

I usually use corn meal but have had bad luck the last few times. Considering just using a screen in the future.

6 hours ago, DDD Dad said:

I usually use corn meal but have had bad luck the last few times. Considering just using a screen in the future.

Have you tried using parchment paper?  I use it w/ a peel and pizza stone.  Pull the paper after a couple of minutes.  Does a real good job.

• Hook 'Em 2

16 hours ago, LosIllini said:

Have you tried using parchment paper?  I use it w/ a peel and pizza stone.  Pull the paper after a couple of minutes.  Does a real good job.

1 hour ago, dcbc said:

Same

Just remember to pull the paper before you take pics for this thread, otherwise you'll lose your Italian card. 

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Landomatic said:

Just remember to pull the paper before you take pics for this thread, otherwise you'll lose your Italian card. 

Parchment paper seems like a bad idea in the Ooni. I used it all the time on the Egg. But my pizzas on the Egg weren't very good.

Semolina works like a fucking charm. Tried the screen tonight on some leftover dough tonight. Worked ok, I guess, but if I can continue to get the results from NYE without it and cooking right on the stone, I don't see any reason to change. Bear in mind, I'm cooking the 12-inch pies on my Ooni 16 at this time. I think the screen might make more sense on a bigger pie.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Parchment paper seems like a bad idea in the Ooni. I used it all the time on the Egg. But my pizzas on the Egg weren't very good.

I don't have an Ooni, but my adapter for our Weber Kettle gets plenty hot, and the paper can get a little cooked on the edges.  But it usually pulls out easily on the first turn of the pizza, and the cheetah spots still come through on the bottom of the crust.

10 hours ago, C-Man said:

Semolina works like a fucking charm. Tried the screen tonight on some leftover dough tonight. Worked ok, I guess, but if I can continue to get the results from NYE without it and cooking right on the stone, I don't see any reason to change. Bear in mind, I'm cooking the 12-inch pies on my Ooni 16 at this time. I think the screen might make more sense on a bigger pie.

Agree with this.  I use semolina in my ooni and it comes out great.  Parchment paper use less than ideal in an ooni where your pizza cooks in a minute.

• 2 weeks later...

Poolish works- you'll get some preferment aroma/ flavor with regular/ storebought yeast. 

Or, you can really go down a rabbit hole w/ all kinds of yeast/ sourdough cultures.  I've had good luck w/  basic poolish from SAF, Italian yeast, homebrew beer yeast, and sourdough starters.  Yeast is amazing.

Bunch of dry yeast on Ebay for sale- from San Francisco sourdoughs to Italian pizza yeast.  Just gotta feed/ water them, and, they'll stay dormant in your fridge for a long time when you're not baking.  Really adds flavor to your dough.

After having had it for a little over a year, I love my Ooni... my pizzas keep gradually getting better and while they are rarely nice and round, they do taste great.  I just stick with regular flour and a peel.  So long as people don't interrupt me while in pizza-making process, I'm good.  

20 minutes ago, dcbc said:

I recently tried 00 flour and noticed very little difference between it and AP.  I think giving it time to cold ferment is a more valuable trick than using 00 flour.

oh... I mean for the peel and working the dough.  I've been super lazy and buy the frozen pizza balls from Whole Foods.  Each one is $3.99 but I need to start just making my own dough.  I know it.

• Hook 'Em 1

My pizza dough and pizza has been going backwards.  Not sure if this pattern is the same for yall, for cooking anything: 

-1st attempt, okay

-2nd attempt, perfect.

-3rd and subsequent attempts, through either laziness OR overobsessiveness, it just gets worse

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/19/2022 at 9:52 AM, dcbc said:

I recently tried 00 flour and noticed very little difference between it and AP.  I think giving it time to cold ferment is a more valuable trick than using 00 flour.

I'm guessing I've made 100 pizza doughs over the last 10 years and every now and then I use 00 flour.  I can never really tell the difference--they all turn out pretty good.  I agree that the most important thing for good pizza dough is the long cold ferment.  

• Hook 'Em 1

• 3 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, CycleTex87 said:

I've already floated the idea of the Ooni, and it was met with resistance.

I really would have no place to put it.  My back porch is elevated and pretty small.  A patio 4 top, with a Weber Genesis and BGE pretty much fills all the useable space.

1 hour ago, DDD Dad said:

I really would have no place to put it.  My back porch is elevated and pretty small.  A patio 4 top, with a Weber Genesis and BGE pretty much fills all the useable space.

I have the charcoal grill version of this, and it's been pretty solid.

https://www.onlyfire.com/products/only-fire-universal-stainless-steel-pizza-oven-kit-including-pizza-chamber-and-pizza-stone-pizza-grilling-tool-sets-for-weber-and-most-gas-grill

• Hook 'Em 1

33 minutes ago, dcbc said:

I use my BGE for pizzas but it's kind of a PITA, has very inconsistent results, and forces me to re-do my gaskets more than I'd like.

2 hours ago, DDD Dad said:

I use my BGE for pizzas but it's kind of a PITA, has very inconsistent results, and forces me to re-do my gaskets more than I'd like.

Mine just replaces the lid and grill grate on the Weber Kettle, i.e., it just sits on top.  Light coals around the edges and open the bottom vents wide.  I give the pizza a turn about once per minute.  Usually done in about 6 minutes. 

Obviously, the one linked is for a gas grill.  But here is mine.  Definitely has been a good purchase for the money.

Onlyfire.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1

On 2/23/2022 at 1:04 PM, DDD Dad said:

One of the reasons I wanted an Ooni so bad was because I couldn't get the results I wanted on the BGE. At best, they tasted like pizza made at home. The ones on the Ooni taste like the ones I'm getting in top-notch Neapolitan pizzerias in the States.

Edited by C-Man
  • Hook 'Em 2

7 hours ago, LosIllini said:

Pizzas look great!  Do the Oonis have a temp regulator?  Can you dial the temp down for a thin crust/ non-Neopolitan pie?

4 hours ago, Anastasis said:

The Koda does. 

So it has a knob that you can turn up and down but it doesn't have a temperature gauge. Some of the models do. I haven't done anything other than run it at full throttle for all my cooks -- pizzas or searing steaks. MF'er uses propane, though.

• 3 weeks later...

3 day neapolitan dough.  something like 55% hydration.  500gr flour + 280g water or so.  after various losses in scrappage and i guess evaporation or whatever total weight is ~600g, to make 3x200g personal pizzas.

cooked in Ooni Koda 12.  medium-high heat.  next time probably do slightly lower heat and let crust cook even longer

IMG_2261.thumb.jpg.03192dafc76b945632246a9be96e15f9.jpgIMG_2263.thumb.jpg.9cf5c3210471e45b58065616fec5c0dc.jpgIMG_2264.thumb.jpg.178879a11039568faef628b66f1f8ce9.jpg

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...