Homemade Pizza Tips...Just the Tips

Landomatic

• 3 weeks later...

After a string of around 100 delicious homemade oven-baked pizzas, I decided to buy an Ooni because grow the fuck up, that's why.

I only made enough dough for two pizzas for my maiden voyage.  Well, daughters had to eat sandwiches because pizzas sucked.  Two rays of sunshine:  (1)  the very little that wasnt burnt or just f'ed up was delish and (2) my first pizza was an F while the second one came in at a solid D- so trendline is to the moon.

• Hook 'Em 3

10 hours ago, Hornbeliever said:

After a string of around 100 delicious homemade oven-baked pizzas, I decided to buy an Ooni because grow the fuck up, that's why.

I only made enough dough for two pizzas for my maiden voyage.  Well, daughters had to eat sandwiches because pizzas sucked.  Two rays of sunshine:  (1)  the very little that wasnt burnt or just f'ed up was delish and (2) my first pizza was an F while the second one came in at a solid D- so trendline is to the moon.

My first time was very similar; the biggest improvements for me on the Ooni:

1: Buy some pizza screens (eliminates launching and makes it 1 million times easier to turn). 

2. Dial the temperature down (running it at full blast I was scorching the top and the ingredients before the crust could cook through). 

• Hook 'Em 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Ok, I got 40ish people coming over Saturday at noon for a 1 year old birthday party. 6-8 kids are old enough to eat regular food. How many pizzas should I order and what toppings? I'm ordering Mama's Pizza in FW, larges are 16 inches and the crust is slightly thicker than what you would get at a chain. Is 10 enough? Too much?

2 supremes
3 pepperoni
3 sausage
1 cheese
1 veggie, maybe peppers and onions

???

Ok, I got 40ish people coming over Saturday at noon for a 1 year old birthday party. 6-8 kids are old enough to eat regular food. How many pizzas should I order and what toppings? I'm ordering Mama's Pizza in FW, larges are 16 inches and the crust is slightly thicker than what you would get at a chain. Is 10 enough? Too much?

2 supremes
3 pepperoni
3 sausage
1 cheese
1 veggie, maybe peppers and onions

???

Unless you know that the kids will eat meat I would trade a sausage for another cheese. Especially since Mamas uses that weird rabbit pellet sausage.

That’s a big ticket for Mama’s pizza. Be sure an negotiate a discount with the manager. They should knock off bucks, give you bags of ice, maybe a big salad or something.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Thanks. I think it must be the sugar/sweetness that I’m missing, as that’s generally what I’m doing for mine. Picked up the truck of not cooking it recently and that also made a big improvement. 

Serious eats has a good sauce recipe in their NY pizza recipe.

For Neapolitan, just go by really good quality canned whole tomatoes and blend. Do not cook.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/13/2022 at 7:58 AM, Etexhorn13 said:

Are y’all making a sauce or using store bought? I feel like I’m never fully satisfied with mine, but I can never really put my finger I’m just quite what I’m missing. 

Ethan Chlebowski just did a video on San Marzanos:

anecdotally, i have found much higher quality tomatoes (less hard shoulders/shit skin) in those that are packed in puree vs water - which he talks about. basically everyone recommends the Bianco tomatoes these days. if i could get them locally, i would. instead i am using either the Central Market imported DOP whole peeled ones (they have them at the local HEB) or Cento ones that are not DOP. i picked up some new imported DOP ones in the italian area of the local HEB to try. 

Typically, I do Chris Bianco's sauce which is uncooked.

• 28 oz whole tomato
  • generous teaspoon EVOO
  • 5 torn and bruised basil leaves (i use large ones, wife and i like basil a good bit)
  • salt to taste

pour tomatoes and juice in large bowl, add olive oil and stir, crush tomatoes and remove any hard shoulders or skin. taste for salt. let sit for an hour.

Bianco likes the variation in hand crushed vs blitzed with food processor - "better mouthfeel and won't feel so one dimensional" - i notice the change of adding oregano but i do that on the pie vs in the sauce.

another option is this easy one from baking steel: https://bakingsteel.com/blogs/recipes/how-to-make-the-best-damn-pizza-sauce

• Step 1  Grab your favorite can of tomatoes and open her up and dump into a food processor (I use a stick blender).  Add 10 grams of salt.  Pulse for about a minute.
  • Step 2 Pour into a glass bowl and refrigerate up to a week. I always date my containers so I don't forget.
  • Alternative Step 3 Mix in some shaved garlic, red pepper flakes or even dried oregano to give your pizza sauce a little variety.

• Hook 'Em 3

On 9/15/2022 at 9:52 AM, burns_312 said:

I’ve been cooking on one of these for a while as a test run for one of their biggest distributors. It’s pretty fucking amazing. Been the hit of several tailgates and it’s simple using the battery powered option.

https://halo-pg.com/outdoor-pizza-oven/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

getting one of these for my birthday.

if you follow CFB you may know Dan Rubenstein (SBNation back in the day, now does his own thing at the Solid Verbal) - he has one of these and is putting out some amazing looking pizza, including Detroit Style: https://www.instagram.com/valleycirclepizza/?hl=en

1 hour ago, NoName said:

Ethan Chlebowski just did a video on San Marzanos:

Thanks for posting that.  I wish he had tested a Pomi product, but I get that he had to keep it manageable.  I typically buy Cento All-Purpose Crushed tomatoes or Pomi strained/crushed tomatoes for whatever I cook, since both have nothing on the ingredient list except "tomatoes".  It's good to see that avoiding calcium chloride might be a good idea.

• Hook 'Em 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 9/27/2022 at 5:05 PM, Celery Man said:

https://www.seriouseats.com/detroit-style-pizza-recipe

77CC969B-123D-40A9-9ACB-610A03CCB42E.thumb.jpeg.58bae7cde194fb9a6a65e55243a2c041.jpeg

FEB016C1-843E-4790-8EE1-F32F8C588290.thumb.jpeg.c0408cdc2bd60d8a207adbf5752874d9.jpeg

E79A2AAC-85FB-4E7E-8327-55FCA4646DEC.thumb.jpeg.791148903eeee431a197e05793faf180.jpeg

F6BC5D44-CF79-48C1-BADE-CBA08E8EC603.thumb.jpeg.1d0235ad61fbf906d66759b2e60c73c2.jpeg

I’m not a pizza maker guy but this turned out great. We did have a Detroit style pizza pan from Lloyd’s from when my wife tried to make different Detroit recipe. We did not have a baking steel so I used a cast iron pizza pan turned upside down to maximize contact with the tray. No brick cheese either, so used Monterrey Jack and mozzarella. The crust is great, I was planning on having this for lunch the rest of the week since my wife didn’t want pizza and was going to have leftovers. But those plans have been dashed as we both devoured it. Baby not as much but she doesn’t know what’s what.

Made this yesterday and holy shit it was good. I didn't have a real Detroit pizza pan but used a lasagna pan instead and it worked great.  

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Drool 1

i need to make that recipe again, or some of Kenji's other pizza recipes.

He's been teasing working on a tavern pizza recipe and I'm definitely all in on that

https://www.instagram.com/p/Clo_yiJvTn7/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

image.thumb.png.f46a209c415e7d4526ea537f7f096b5a.png

What with the attention simple Chicago food has been getting from The Bear, to the now-fully saturated Detroit pizza scene needing an outlet, to the general post-quarantine sense I get that people are ready to go out and start sharing some pizzas and a few pitchers of beer, tavern pizza is gonna have a moment and I’m completely here for it. 2023 will be the year of thin cracker-crisp, square-cut, snackable, shareable, tavern pizza. (What do you think, @akuban?)

• Hook 'Em 1

19 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

i need to make that recipe again, or some of Kenji's other pizza recipes.

He's been teasing working on a tavern pizza recipe and I'm definitely all in on that

https://www.instagram.com/p/Clo_yiJvTn7/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

image.thumb.png.f46a209c415e7d4526ea537f7f096b5a.png

During the pandy, I did a Chicago deep dish style a few times in my cast iron skillet that was really good. I followed the Babish recipe:

https://www.bingingwithbabish.com/recipes/deepdishpizza

But the Detroit one blows it away. My family absolutely plowed through that thing. I thought we would have a ton of leftovers but there were like 3 pieces left and my wife hardly ate. I think next time, I'll probably make two. They cook so quickly and there's enough sauce to do two of them. Might as well double up the dough and knock two of them out.

On 1/23/2023 at 10:45 AM, CycleTex87 said:

I'm digging the tavern style.  Need to figure out how to get my dough that thin.

That's about all I make these days.  Bunch of good Chicago thin recipes on pizzamaking.com.  You can vary the amount of water for crispier/ cracker crust.  As dcbc said- cheap amazon peel, baking stone and parchment paper are your friends, unless you like calzones.

I use Cento (yellow cans) tomatoes- either crushed or puree, with a little salt and sugar.  Makes a good Chicag-style sauce.  And whole milk mozarella. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Anastasis said:

Interdasting. Appears that the heating elements could reduce the need to do the constant turning. 

According to the comments from Ooni I read, you still have to turn it.  And no way I'm paying a grand for that thing.

3 hours ago, dcbc said:

According to the comments from Ooni I read, you still have to turn it.  And no way I'm paying a grand for that thing.

Yeah, I thought that price on my koda 16 was pushing it.  If I am spending a grand, I am going to spend two and go the gozney route. But knock a hundred or two off it and get to 16" and chances are I could drink too much one night and order one. 

Edited by Anastasis
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

I need a second Detroit pan. Making it again because a grocery store app miscommunication created a cheese surplus in our house. Not a problem, but it’s become one of those “make it double so there’s lunch” recipes.

I used this $13.00 lasagna pan from Amazon for mine and it worked pretty damn well. I would be interested to see if there's much difference between it and the other "real" Detroit pan options out there.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0026RHHXS?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

• 3 weeks later...

^^ kenji’s Chicago thin crust style he published last week in the New York Times. The links to the recipes in his linktree are free

https://linktr.ee/Kenjilopezalt?fbclid=PAAabXBXS-_Jh-cEruWkHyE6Sa7S0CYyLQZuc0TsMYp89BoYaBHRip3mGMQe4

obviously I didn’t make the sausage and just did pepperoni, but I bet it’s good. Kinda crappy pictures because we had company, but it turned out well. The edges got extra crispy but the crust was crispy and tasty. I probably could have rolled them out better by rolling and waiting half an hour and rolling again, but I had a new guitar waiting for me upstairs. Could have been thinner.

this does take forever with all the curing - I made the dough on Saturday and they were rolled out and sitting on the counter since last night.

Also, there was a Detroit style, which you see in the background of the crust shot (not a randomly thick piece).

I need to get a pizza steel. The Detroit one turned out not as good because I tried to use two overturned cast iron skillets under the pan rather than the cast iron pizza pan, since I was firing out 3 pizzas in a row and wanted to keep the pan hot for the thin bois.

Edited by Celery Man
  • Hook 'Em 2

• 2 weeks later...

I stared long and hard at an Ooni Koda 12 today.  I put it in the online shopping cart, but I just couldn't do it. 

Then, I put the Koda 16 in the cart and clicked purchase.  Should be here this week.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1