Favorite Hot Sauce

nivek3

• 2 weeks later...
I have a hard time calling Ohio the Midwest.  It's closer to the Atlantic Ocean than the Mississippi.  Not sure why the "Midwest" label was ever attached to a place that's so solidly in the northeastern part of the country in literal geographic terms.
When my buddy and I went to Akron for ISU's game there in 2017, it took just as long to get there as it does to get to Dallas.

Did you ever take a fucking American history class? You know, 13 states. Easter seaboard? War of 1812?

• 5 weeks later...

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Hot-Ones-Mild-Medium-Hot-Boneless-Chicken-Bites-41-Oz-Frozen/344571220

1yROWNp.png

For $13, I'm intrigued. Per the nutrition facts, it's comes with 2.5 ounce pouches of Classic and Los Calientes and about an ounce of The Last Dab. You could throw out the chicken and the sauce would still come out around the same or a little better $/per oz as the bottles if you just wanted to try it. 

14 hours ago, Hmbre97 said:

My resolve to not buy any Melinda's sauces is starting to break seeing all these newish flavors and the ketchup.

What did Melinda ever do to you? That stuff is great. Go get you some.

Edit: Just ordered the regular wing sauce. My kids have fallen in love with chicken wings and I’ve started making them in my new air fryer, so will try with some Melinda’s on my next batch.

Edited by South Austin
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, South Austin said:

What did Melinda ever do to you? That stuff is great. Go get you some.

Melinda's was the name Marie Sharp sold her hot sauce under when she first started out. After it got popular here in the states, her US importer (the Figueroa brothers) cut her out by trademarking the name here in the states and started making their own sauce. She still had a contract with them as her exclusive importer to the US (who was no longer importing her products) so they settled out of court for the name in exchange for release from the contract. She then rebranded as Marie Sharps.

I tried to find the article but there was one I read that went into all the details of what happened. Essentially she was a naive non-business person and was led to believe that they were going to help her establish the trademark on her behalf once it got popular but they pulled the ol switcharoo and trademarked it for themselves. When she found out and balked, they stopped importing her sauce and went out to source peppers and shit elsewhere to make their own sauce. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

On 2/5/2022 at 11:38 AM, Hmbre97 said:

Melinda's was the name Marie Sharp sold her hot sauce under when she first started out. After it got popular here in the states, her US importer (the Figueroa brothers) cut her out by trademarking the name here in the states and started making their own sauce. She still had a contract with them as her exclusive importer to the US (who was no longer importing her products) so they settled out of court for the name in exchange for release from the contract. She then rebranded as Marie Sharps.

I tried to find the article but there was one I read that went into all the details of what happened. Essentially she was a naive non-business person and was led to believe that they were going to help her establish the trademark on her behalf once it got popular but they pulled the ol switcharoo and trademarked it for themselves. When she found out and balked, they stopped importing her sauce and went out to source peppers and shit elsewhere to make their own sauce. 

That's some bullshit - thanks for sharing. 

#TeamMarie

• 3 weeks later...

Not a hot sauce but a chile (or “chilli”) powder. I’ll post it here because I don’t know where else to post this. I made a first trip to a particular international grocery looking for something else that they didn’t have in stock. Cool store, though. I didn’t want to leave empty handed so I bought this stuff because it said it’s extra extra hot. It’s pretty awesome. It tastes great and is very hot, way hotter than cayenne. There’s no ingredient list and I have no idea what kind of peppers are in it. But it’s not what I would call a chili powder. It tastes like it’s just one variety of pepper dried and ground, not a blend of peppers and other spices. Whatever it is, it’s excellent.

DFA275C3-8B3F-49B8-98A1-664F57B18772.thumb.jpeg.899b4b412839775260125e311765e684.jpeg

Searching online, they’ve got a pretty wide selection of products.

http://aslifinefoods.com/products.asp?cntr5=14&selectcat=21&selectbrand=Asli

• Hook 'Em 1

• 3 months later...

I sold a guy on a bottle of habanero Tabasco yesterday. I was down to my last bottle and stopped at the market to stock up. I’m not that tall and the remaining bottles were on the top shelf and way back where I couldn’t reach them. I saw a tall guy walking by and asked him if he could grab some of them for me. I asked him to grab me four bottles. He wasn’t familiar with it. I told him it’s not as hot as some habanero sauces but that it tastes really good with a good balance of hot and sweet. So he picked up a bottle for himself.

I hope he enjoys it.

1 hour ago, Covri said:

Did you update the spreadsheet to reflect the new packaging?

Not a spreadsheet. Just a Word doc tracking observations on the comings and goings and returns of products on my supermarket shelves. It was an educational exercise. You can’t embarrass me over it. It just makes you look dumb.

Maybe you should try keeping more notes and lists in your life. Intellectual incuriosity isn’t something about which to be proud. 

Edited by WhatTheBuck

2 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Not a spreadsheet. Just a Word doc tracking observations on the comings and goings and returns of products on my supermarket shelves. It was an educational exercise. You can’t embarrass me over it. It just makes you look dumb.

Maybe you should try keeping more notes and lists in your life. 

It's a joke, lighten up and laugh a little ffs.

33 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Maybe you should try keeping more notes and lists in your life. Intellectual incuriosity isn’t something about which to be proud. 

I'm legit curios. What is in the word Doc?

17 hours ago, Jameslaw121 said:

I'm legit curios. What is in the word Doc?

This is off topic but I didn’t start it.

It’s a reference to a post I made in the “Shit HEB Makes” thread where I mentioned that I’ve kept a document where I started taking notes on products that my usual grocery store, a Giant Eagle, would stop carrying. It was just out of curiosity. There were other products that I noticed had disappeared before I decided to start taking notes. Sometimes replaced by Giant Eagle branded generic products, sometimes with no apparent reason. And then some of the products would come back. Sometimes a few years later. So I started noting dates.

Grocering is a strange business. It’s a dirty business. The competition for shelf space and position is fierce. And there are varying levels of influence from corporations and distributors. Sometimes when they say you can buy, say, two jars of peanuts for $5, you can buy one for $2.50. But if they offer two cartons of Minute Maid orange juice for $5, you need to buy two cartons in order to get the discount. Some brands require you to buy the required number, others don’t. I haven’t taken notes on that because I’m pretty sure I have a feel for which companies have the power to enforce strict rules (like Coca-Cola).

I have a straw broom that I’ve had for years and could probably be replaced. I bought it at that Giant Eagle store. You can’t buy one there now. Now they have a large section of an aisle devoted to Swiffer products, none of which will help me sweep leaves or snow off the sidewalk. (Pro tip: A broom is much more effective in clearing a light snow than a shovel.)

To bring it back on topic, I also have notes I’ve taken on a variety of products including hot sauces. And it just seems strange to me that anyone who is a presumably educated person would give someone shit for taking notes on literally any topic. So mock away. I’m impervious.

And maybe start taking more notes on things in your life just out of curiosity.

Edited by WhatTheBuck
  • Hook 'Em 1

Just found this thread, you my peeps. I always have ~10 bottles in the house for various dishes. 

Attached are ones I would recommend.

1) Chupacabra - Cholula with a lot more heat.

2) Juliana Scotch Bonnet - Sweet, acidic, sneaky heat, great on wings

3) 13 Angry Scorpions - If BBQ sauce and hot sauce had a bastard. Sweet, smoky, sneaky heat. 

4) Secret Aardvark - Amazing on breakfast.

85563C33-6A53-46EF-9B1B-99E6462EDFBA.jpeg

It’s a reference to a post I made in the “Shit HEB Makes” thread where I mentioned that I’ve kept a document where I started taking notes on products that my usual grocery store, a Giant Eagle, would stop carrying. It was just out of curiosity. There were other products that I noticed had disappeared before I decided to start taking notes. Sometimes replaced by Giant Eagle branded generic products, sometimes with no apparent reason. And then some of the products would come back. Sometimes a few years later. So I started noting dates.
Grocering is a strange business. It’s a dirty business. The competition for shelf space and position is fierce. And there are varying levels of influence from corporations and distributors. Sometimes when they say you can buy, say, two jars of peanuts for $5, you can buy one for $2.50. But if they offer two cartons of Minute Maid orange juice for $5, you need to buy two cartons in order to get the discount. Some brands require you to buy the required number, others don’t. I haven’t taken notes on that because I’m pretty sure I have a feel for which companies have the power to enforce strict rules (like Coca-Cola).
I have a straw broom that I’ve had for years and could probably be replaced. I bought it at that Giant Eagle store. You can’t buy one there now. Now they have a large section of an aisle devoted to Swiffer products, none of which will help me sweep leaves or snow off the sidewalk. (Pro tip: A broom is much more effective in clearing a light snow than a shovel.)
To bring it back on topic, I also have notes I’ve taken on a variety of products including hot sauces. And it just seems strange to me that anyone who is a presumably educated person would give someone shit for taking notes on literally any topic. So mock away. I’m impervious.
Most people aren't curious about...anything. They just kind of float through life. I'm a mental note taker. Horrible at taking actual notes.

I always assumed the switching in and out of products is based on both availability and also consumer demand. It's probably much more complicated than that though. Supplier incentives likely come into play also. It still pisses me off I can't find Heinz brown mustard at HEB.

19 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Just out of curiosity...does one of your notes look something like this?

uy2xdb2i7qx61.jpg?auto=webp&s=7d9ec8f169

On 7/7/2022 at 12:11 PM, WhatTheBuck said:

I apologize for my ignorance, but what is a Giant Eagle Store?

Edited by salonghorn

7 hours ago, deadshank said:

Western PA to Ohio super market.  They’re pretty good super markets. 

They can’t be THAT great. Evidently, they are so cavalier in their stocking practices that their customers are forced to create spreadsheets just to keep track of their fuckery. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 6

Jeez, save some pussy for the rest of us.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 7

• 1 month later...
On 7/6/2022 at 5:36 PM, WhatTheBuck said:

Wait, so in your world notes and lists = intellectual curiosity?  I'm gonna have to disagree with that one, that's just being anal.

• Like 1