Favorite Hot Sauce

nivek3

24 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Thanks for the lesson on how peppers work. You know I'd lived 43 years on this earth and never really had any concept of how heat and spice in food functions until you came here to enlighten me about the process. Thank you so much. 

Since you’re such a hot pepper lightweight I assumed maybe you didn’t know. Man up. 

43 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Since you’re such a hot pepper lightweight I assumed maybe you didn’t know. Man up. 

People have personal taste and personal preferences, and when they’re different from yours, your response is they’re a pussy and man up? Man, what a great perspective. 

I mean listen you should have led with just calling me a pussy, that at least is surly-esque.

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

15 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

People have personal taste and personal preferences, and when they’re different from yours, your response is they’re a push and man up? Man, what a great perspective. 

I mean listen you should have led with just calling me a pussy, that at least is surly-esque.

gate keeping in hot sauce is so weird to me. there are a ton of folks on FB groups and Insta that do it and act like everyone is a weak human being because they don't only eat superhots.

then again, he is also the guy who said Da Bomb "tastes great" and called everyone "amateurs" when questioned about it

image.thumb.png.542f18bf4fcd35582d4af85e639a6a7d.png

gatekeeping with hot sauce is so weird. it's like BBQ, there is a place for Rudy's and there is a place for high end craft BBQ (there is no place for Dickies)...it isn't like the only sauce these gatekeepers own is something this hot and they eat that sauce and only that sauce on everything.

• Hook 'Em 3

4 minutes ago, NoName said:

gate keeping in hot sauce is so weird to me. there are a ton of folks on FB groups and Insta that do it and act like everyone is a weak human being because they don't only eat superhots.

then again, he is also the guy who said Da Bomb "tastes great" and called everyone "amateurs" when questioned about it

gatekeeping with hot sauce is so weird. it's like BBQ, there is a place for Rudy's and there is a place for high end craft BBQ (there is no place for Dickies)...it isn't like the only sauce these gatekeepers own is something this hot and they eat that sauce and only that sauce on everything.

I agree, it’s bizarre. “If you don’t eat raw Carolina reapers, chew them up in your mouth and then use the spit to jerk off you’re a pussy” is a weird flex. Not exactly who I want to be as a person, but that’s just me. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

I make my own table sauce now and I use it on almost everything. HEB occasionally has red jalapenos in stock. I'll by about 25 of them, clean them, halve them and throw them in a 2 quart jar with 2-6 habaneros (depending on how hot I want the sauce) and lacto-ferment (3% salt-water solution) them in my pantry for a week. I burp the jar 2-4 times a day (more frequent in days 2-4 than 5-7). Then when they no longer are releasing gasses like crazy I reserve a cup of the brine. Drain the peppers, throw them in a blender with the reserved brine, a half cup of white or white wine vinegar, about 12 confit garlic cloves (or just regular old garlic), and whatever else you want to church it up with - carrots (in which case I would ferment those too), simple syrup, orange juice, etc.
Once blended, you can either strain it through a mesh sieve to remove the solids, or you can leave it thicker for more of a thin salsa consistency. If you reserve the strained solids you can dehydrate them in the oven to make a kick-ass chili powder or chili crisp.
Here are three versions I've made. The one on the left is half-strained combo of a super-hot version and a medium version. Medium is standard strained japs/habaneros. The one on the right is not as hot, where I used only cored and seeded japs and threw in some orange juice and a higher concentration of brine. Made that one because the other ones were a little too spicy for the wife and boy.
Gonna grow a shit ton of peppers in a garden this year and make a bunch of versions of this stuff and see what I like best. 

redhotsauce.jpg.c3a33940943ec8ea537613d12a08cee1.jpg

Looks delicious. Has the same color as the hot sauce at Gerardo’s in Houston. Fantastic on barbacoa and carnitas.

I agree, it’s bizarre. “If you don’t eat raw Carolina reapers, chew them up in your mouth and then use the spit to jerk off you’re a pussy” is a weird flex. Not exactly who I want to be as a person, but that’s just me. 

It is weird. I don’t think habaneros are too hot, but I like the flavor. I also love the flavor of jalapeños, serranos and poblanos. No need to be like that, with one exception:

Mild salsa is an abomination.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

14 minutes ago, NoName said:

Dickies is to bbq as tabasco is to hot sauce. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

Looks and sounds tasty, but man, that's a lot of work.

My favorite homebrew was a knockoff of Taco Deli's Salsa Dona.  Super easy, super delicious.

I make that shit like once a month and I've posted that recipe on this site at least 3-4 times. Can't beat it. 

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

My favorite homebrew was a knockoff of Taco Deli's Salsa Dona.  Super easy, super delicious.

It's not that much work to me, and I don't mind it. Cut up peppers. Throw in salt water. Burp when you go into the pantry a few times a day. Drain, blend, and strain. Takes about 10 minutes to get it into the solution, and about 10 minutes to drain, blend and strain. Then I've got enough hot sauce for like 3 months and enough to give away to friends. 

It's really not, mostly just waiting. It's the same number of steps as green sauce subbing making brine for blanching peppers. I skip the vinegar and just loosen with brine to where I want it. And keep the rest of the brine for bloodies.

4 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

People have personal taste and personal preferences, and when they’re different from yours, your response is they’re a pussy and man up? Man, what a great perspective. 

Was I implying that you’re a pussy? Then what were you implying? That I’m an idiot? What? You can get snarky with me but I can’t get snarky back? That hardly seems fair. What kind of perspective is that?

You should try the sauce. Don’t be afraid. If it seems too hot at first, you’ll probably get over it. Life is better with habanero in it. 

1 minute ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Was I implying that you’re a pussy? Then what were you implying? That I’m an idiot? What? You can get snarky with me but I can’t get snarky back? That hardly seems fair. What kind of perspective is that?

You should try the sauce. Don’t be afraid. If it seems too hot at first, you’ll probably get over it. Life is better with habanero in it. 

Hey, twatwaffle, I wasn't the guy who quoted you and started this interaction. I was literally telling someone else about a good deal on a Yellowbird sauce at costco, and mentioned it was too hot for me. You inserted yourself into the conversation, tried to explain to me "how peppers work," assuming I didn't already know having lived in Texas my entire life and being a degreed adult. When I responded sarcastically, you delivered this gem:

5 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

News flash, when someone says "Man Up" they're calling you a pussy, which I assume you and any child over the age of 8 understands inherently. That isn't implying someone is a pussy, it's saying it. Which is fine, it's surly, no one gives a shit. And I'm not telling you that you can't get snarky, or mean, or anything. I'm just pointing out your fucking stance and opinion on this is fucking stupid, and generally assholish, and not in the way we normally celebrate that shit around here. 

My perspective is, as always, you can say whatever you want, but when your dumb Buckeyeness starts rearing it's fucking head, I'm going to mock you for your stupid fucking statements. For the record, I'm pretty sure I tried that sauce, as I've tried most of their hot sauces except Sriracha and Ghost Pepper, because the Rooster is my go to, and the latter is probably too hot for me because I thought their fucking Habanero was too hot for me. 

I'll end this with my initial statement. People have personal preferences. Some people like being kicked in the fucking balls, but I don't, and I don't need someone telling me it's really the tits and I've got it all wrong and need to revisit my assumptions. I prefer my eating to generally be pleasurable, and I don't feel compelled to forcibly make it otherwise because you think I need more Habanero in my life, you fucking knob.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

This thread is getting a little to spicy for me!

(And I’ve recently been hitting a bottle of Dave’s Scorpion and Dave’s Insanity. For posterity, the Scorpion is technically hotter but the Insanity uses extract so actually feels a little hotter and also has a bit of a harsher flavor. The Scorpion actually has a nice smoky flavor. These are both my first foray into super hot sauces but I’m liking them. Otherwise, it’s sriracha on everything and either Cholula or Tabasco on everything else depending… I need to branch out some more there)

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Well, there goes another thread. Haha.

Sir, I can only respond to the forces around me. Also:

Conan Bow GIF | Gfycat

9 hours ago, safe sex said:

Post it one more time?

https://www.delishknowledge.com/creamy-jalapeno-salsa/

I usually sub canola oil for avocado oil, because it's healthier, and I omit the cilantro because while cilantro is fucking delicious, I've found the sauce shelf life goes from days to weeks if I omit the cilantro. 

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Hook 'Em 5

24 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

That's pretty close to what I make, although I don't peel the roasted jalapenos.  The only pepper I find that needs that treatment is a poblano.

I do about 50/50 on the peeling. I don't mind some char flavor in there at all. I also have gotten to the point where I don't really bother de-seeding any of the jalapenos. If it's too hot, I just add another quarter cup of oil, but that is rare. 

I've also done version of this with hatch and serrano mixed in as well. 

3 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

I just popped open that Marie Sharp’s nopal/green habanero. Quite tasty. Looking forward to putting on some food. Would be excellent in some breakfast tacos.

This thread has inspired me to make a trip to Fiesta at some point in the near future. Or maybe an El Mercardo, since my Fiesta shut down. 

Edited by SydneyCarton

On 3/29/2023 at 3:15 PM, SydneyCarton said:

Hey, twatwaffle, I wasn't the guy who quoted you and started this interaction

Hey jizzguzzler, the fuck you weren’t. (Name calling! Weeee!) Follow this link if you need a refresher:

You are exactly the guy who quoted me and started this interaction. I think habanero is great. I think hot sauces are great. I will always advocate for them. I was just trying to offer encouragement. You were the instigator. You’re the dickhead in this exchange.

Not the one who quoted me. Who the fuck did you think you were quoting?

• Fuck You 2

1 minute ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Hey jizzguzzler, the fuck you weren’t. (Name calling! Weeee!) Follow this link if you need a refresher:

You are exactly the guy who quoted me and started this interaction. I think habanero is great. I think hot sauces are great. I will always advocate for them. I was just trying to offer encouragement. You were the instigator. You’re the dickhead in this exchange.

Not the one who quoted me. Who the fuck did you think you were quoting?

I've got to ask. Are you Retarded? 

image.thumb.png.8590ae1abcd67090384e44b6a189d6f5.png

Here is a screenshot of you quoting ME to start this interaction. Your post, with me quoted, which is above mine, was a post I made to Huge. Also, in case you weren't aware, posts on this website are posted chronologically. Which means, you know, when you're post is above mine, it means you posted before I posted. Just to be clear. 

Below your post, is literally my post, responding to you. And to be clear, I didn't actually call you a name at that time. I was just highly sarcastic. 

2 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Goddamn it. Can we have one fucking thread?

Apparently not today, either, Satan. 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Goddamn it. Can we have one fucking thread?

I foresaw this.  It was only a matter of time before Buck saw it and started whipping his capsaicin-proof dick around in a pinwheel, shouting, "Look at me!  I'm a real man!"

Jesus Christ.....

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 3/29/2023 at 6:47 AM, irishtexan said:

I make my own table sauce now and I use it on almost everything. HEB occasionally has red jalapenos in stock. I'll by about 25 of them, clean them, halve them and throw them in a 2 quart jar with 2-6 habaneros (depending on how hot I want the sauce) and lacto-ferment (3% salt-water solution) them in my pantry for a week. I burp the jar 2-4 times a day (more frequent in days 2-4 than 5-7). Then when they no longer are releasing gasses like crazy I reserve a cup of the brine. Drain the peppers, throw them in a blender with the reserved brine, a half cup of white or white wine vinegar, about 12 confit garlic cloves (or just regular old garlic), and whatever else you want to church it up with - carrots (in which case I would ferment those too), simple syrup, orange juice, etc.

Once blended, you can either strain it through a mesh sieve to remove the solids, or you can leave it thicker for more of a thin salsa consistency. If you reserve the strained solids you can dehydrate them in the oven to make a kick-ass chili powder or chili crisp.

Here are three versions I've made. The one on the left is half-strained combo of a super-hot version and a medium version. Medium is standard strained japs/habaneros. The one on the right is not as hot, where I used only cored and seeded japs and threw in some orange juice and a higher concentration of brine. Made that one because the other ones were a little too spicy for the wife and boy.

Gonna grow a shit ton of peppers in a garden this year and make a bunch of versions of this stuff and see what I like best. 

redhotsauce.jpg.c3a33940943ec8ea537613d12a08cee1.jpg

That looks fukken amazing and fermenting the peppers is not yet one of the tools I've got in my toolbox.

I'm with you on making my own, though I'm limited largely to New Mexican Red chile salsa and a fresh tomatillo salsa that we make fried fish tacos with.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

My daughter has "hot sauce" on her Christmas list.  Any recs on a good gift pack from a particular vendor?  Maybe 3 types?  Nothing too hot, more like table sauce heat (Crystal, Cholula, etc.).  I'm thinking red, green (Dona-ish?) and something a little more exotic (mango-habanero or some such).  Hopefully available either local retail or amazon.  Thoughts?

My daughter has "hot sauce" on her Christmas list.  Any recs on a good gift pack from a particular vendor?  Maybe 3 types?  Nothing too hot, more like table sauce heat (Crystal, Cholula, etc.).  I'm thinking red, green (Dona-ish?) and something a little more exotic (mango-habanero or some such).  Hopefully available either local retail or amazon.  Thoughts?
I'd just get a few varieties of Marie Sharp's. Regular green label, grapefruit, and green nopal would be my choice for not too hot. All of them can be found at Fiesta.
  • Hook 'Em 1