Favorite Hot Sauce

nivek3

On 6/29/2022 at 12:08 PM, pearlandhorn said:

Guy who works for me brought this to me from Mexico. Can’t find it in any stores here in the US. Apparently it’s on 21 pesos per bottle down there. Told him to get me a case of it.

268EE5E3-FF82-4537-90A2-EF668AB3D639.jpeg

HEB used to carry this for like $1.  It's probably similar.

large_c6e2bb33-392b-4808-b470-ac3c3fc569

On 6/29/2022 at 12:08 PM, pearlandhorn said:

Guy who works for me brought this to me from Mexico. Can’t find it in any stores here in the US. Apparently it’s on 21 pesos per bottle down there. Told him to get me a case of it.

Looks like they carry something similar at Fiesta in Dallas

Fiesta.jpg.d36bdcf9ae6964aba6337fc32a10220c.jpg

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 7/7/2022 at 9:54 PM, Bodhi said:

Just found this thread, you my peeps. I always have ~10 bottles in the house for various dishes.

Attached are ones I would recommend.

1) Chupacabra - Cholula with a lot more heat.

85563C33-6A53-46EF-9B1B-99E6462EDFBA.jpeg

CaJohn’s is a Columbus, OH brand. It used to be run out of an old firehouse. They were selling firehouse equipment and John cooked his sauces in the kitchen. He had a little office and showroom on the first floor. It was pretty cool. He had bottles of all his sauces out with a big bowl of tortilla chips for sampling. I’ve posted some of my favorites elsewhere on this thread but my very favorite was a blend of just two ingredients - Red Savina habanero mash and vinegar. It was called Krakatoa.

4B95E94A-3E6F-4CB7-B6D4-F809BB6848CC.thumb.png.5dc8d31804581ab0108760aa0775df78.png

Eventually John moved to his own building where there were windows in the store that looked into the kitchen. Unfortunately John retired several years ago and sold the brand to some outfit in North Carolina and they don’t make Krakatoa anymore (nor it’s sister sauce Ace which was just Krakatoa with spices added). Those bastards. 

• Drool 1

• 2 months later...
11 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Any consensus on the best mass market table sauces?  I tend to buy Valentina but it's kinda getting old.  Need some fresh blood.  Cholula?  Tapatio?   Louisiana?  Crystal?

I'm not the hot sauce expert many here are, but I break off the mexican flared sauces like Cholula and Tapatio as competely different from the more cajun style ones like Louisiana and Crystal. Just like I think Sriracha is s different kind of animal from the other two. My answer is I have all of those on hand most of the time and go with whimsy, or depending on what I'm eating. 

If you're just looking for "different" I'd give the Yellowbird Serrano a try, or the Green Dragon from Trader Joe's. If you're REALLY looking for different, I've suggested the Tattoo Scotch Bonnet Curry hot sauce here before to folks. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Any consensus on the best mass market table sauces?  I tend to buy Valentina but it's kinda getting old.  Need some fresh blood.  Cholula?  Tapatio?   Louisiana?  Crystal?

i am a big fan of the mexican-style table sauces. like you, valentina is my go to but when i want to switch it up i usually go for Cholula because of the flavor options.

if you want to go down the

i like secret aardvark as well, and being able to get it at HEB these days is nice but it's more of a niche thing vs a table sauce for me.

outside of mexican-style sauces, i really have a bunch of other ones i use in specific situtations but i like the entire range of sauces Char Man Brand has

https://www.instagram.com/charmanbrand/?hl=en

0_6f231335-5b98-4dea-a796-2e65a69e0e80_8

this reminds me i need to send the guy a new order. they have some off label stuff you can request to, usually a few things that they have limited counts of (message him on insta to see what he has) but i almost always have the verde and caribbean in my fridge.

personally, i am not a fan of the vinegar based sauces like crystal or tabasco or lousiania hot sauce BUT if you go down that path go to their websites and get some of the other kinds of flavors - lousiania hot sauce has a bunch of different options on their website i have never seen in any store (taco, cajun heat, jalapeno, sweet heat, garlic, smoked chiplote, etc) and tabasco has a ton of unique or 1 offs as well.

the only place i use those style sauces is in pulled pork. toss it with a little BBQ sauce and lousiania hot sauce and you will have a really nice sandwich.

if you aren't sure what you want, go and put in a decent sized order from heatonist or heat hot sauce shop because they have a ton of options out there, hell maybe even reach out to them directly and ask for some recs.

14 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

If you're just looking for "different" I'd give the Yellowbird Serrano a try

agreed on yellowbird. i like the different sauces from them i have tried. if you go down their habanero path and like it you can get a really good deal at costco of all places for a huge 2 pack.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

I'm not the hot sauce expert many here are, but I break off the mexican flared sauces like Cholula and Tapatio as competely different from the more cajun style ones like Louisiana and Crystal. 

Seems to me that Cholula is likely the most popular, at least as far as what restaurants serve.  I think I'll subject my wife and kids to a blind taste test against Valentina this weekend.  Saddle up, family.

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Seems to me that Cholula is likely the most popular, at least as far as what restaurants serve.  I think I'll subject my wife and kids to a blind taste test against Valentina this weekend.  Saddle up, family.

I have both. Valentina >>> Cholula. Maybe it's years of Cholula use, but it's trending towards Tobasco for me. 

All I know is Crystal is the shit.  Fucking love that stuff. Just ate an avocado with the stuff.

Started using it more from when my Daughter and her husband fell in love with it after moving to New Orleans.  Just has a flavor I like.  Not the hottest, but a flavor profile I like with a little back end heat.  Been putting into our meatballs and hamburgers lately with a high level of consistency.  We are gonna jut put in on some raw cauliflower and roast it in the next day or so.  I bet it turns out great.

If you want blistering hot it's not the one for you.  But I and my SIL are damn near addicted to it now.

• Hook 'Em 1

58 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

The vinegar blast is what I don't really like about Tabasco.  

I adore vinegar, and that's what I love about Tabasco.

I don't think it works for everything, but there are a couple applications where Tabasco is probably the only hot sauce I use.  Bloody Marys in particular, but also cottage cheese (I eat cottage cheese with pepper, paprika, and hot sauce - god damn delicious).  Works well on leftover pizza too, but I'm pretty flexible with hot sauces on leftover pizza.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

My #1 use is surely hot sauce & butter for "Buffalo" wings.  Then on eggs, in chili, etc.  That Mexican picante flavor works better for me on the latter, but wings can benefit from the vinegar for sure.

I'll use about any hot sauce on eggs, but definitely prefer that Mexican picante flavor too.  Cholula and Valentina's are good egg hot sauces.  Sriracha's good too.

But sometimes OG Tabasco on top of greasy spoon over easy eggs mopped up into hashbrowns and piled on toast just hits the damn spot.

51 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I adore vinegar, and that's what I love about Tabasco.

I don't think it works for everything, but there are a couple applications where Tabasco is probably the only hot sauce I use.  Bloody Marys in particular, but also cottage cheese (I eat cottage cheese with pepper, paprika, and hot sauce - god damn delicious).  Works well on leftover pizza too, but I'm pretty flexible with hot sauces on leftover pizza.

Weird, I don't eat it much these days, but when I used to eat cottage cheese I'd absolutely do pepper and hot sauce. I thought I made that shit up all on my own. Like Worcestershire on reheated box mac and cheese. 

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Weird, I don't eat it much these days, but when I used to eat cottage cheese I'd absolutely do pepper and hot sauce. I thought I made that shit up all on my own. Like Worcestershire on reheated box mac and cheese. 

I've always gone savory with that kind of stuff.  I do the same with oatmeal (sriracha, shredded cheese, and some pickled peppers or giardeniara works great).

That Worcestershire on leftover mac and cheese sounds like it slams.

4 hours ago, horn4life said:

Started using it more from when my Daughter and her husband fell in love with it after moving to New Orleans.  Just has a flavor I like. 

That’s cayenne. Crystal has three ingredients. Aged red cayenne peppers, distilled vinegar, and salt. I use it for cooking. Louisiana brand hot sauce also lists three ingredients. Aged peppers, distilled vinegar, and salt. It has a more complex flavor and is hotter than Crystal so I assume that’s a blend of peppers and not just cayenne. I use it as a topping. Crystal works fine as a topping too but for something that’s going to stand out from the rest of the dish, I go with Louisiana. So one may be in the dish and the other on top. 

41 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I've always gone savory with that kind of stuff.  I do the same with oatmeal (sriracha, shredded cheese, and some pickled peppers or giardeniara works great).

That Worcestershire on leftover mac and cheese sounds like it slams.

Try it, it's fucking delicious. 

7 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

I'm not the hot sauce expert many here are, but I break off the mexican flared sauces like Cholula and Tapatio as competely different from the more cajun style ones like Louisiana and Crystal. Just like I think Sriracha is s different kind of animal from the other two. My answer is I have all of those on hand most of the time and go with whimsy, or depending on what I'm eating. 

This is the way.

My kids live overseas.  Two of their "re-stock and bring some back with us" items are Valentina's and Crystal.  The mexican chili sauces are a different beast than the louisiana vinegar sauces, and Valentina's and Crystal are our family preferences in each category.  However, Tapatio right up there next to Valentina's, we prefer both to Cholula, which still is quite good.  For the Louisiana sauces, Crystal and Louisiana Hot Sauce are our go-tos, but Crystal is the champ.

18 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Needed to re-up on some Marie Sharp’s and got the two pack. Haven’t tried their green habanero before. I love nopales. Looking forward to it. I buy it if Amazon.

9112bcbdcf95bd19f04cc8ce7a4237ae.jpg

The habanero hot is my go to everday saucee, and I place an online order every year. Just fantastic flavor and minimal vinegar taste. Their smoked hot sauce is also great. I like to use it in my cooking. Their fruit sauces have not impressed me, which is a shame. A good habanero/pineapple salsa is one of the best flavors in the world.

18 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Needed to re-up on some Marie Sharp’s and got the two pack. Haven’t tried their green habanero before. I love nopales. Looking forward to it. I buy it if Amazon.

9112bcbdcf95bd19f04cc8ce7a4237ae.jpg

We loaded up on the red one when we got back from Belize but it makes me fart like crazy. No other hot sauce does that. I think my wife finally hid it. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Bolero88 said:

The habanero hot is my go to everday saucee, and I place an online order every year. Just fantastic flavor and minimal vinegar taste. Their smoked hot sauce is also great. I like to use it in my cooking. Their fruit sauces have not impressed me, which is a shame. A good habanero/pineapple salsa is one of the best flavors in the world.

Have you had the habanero-grapefruit?  It's really solid.

Marie Sharp's has a special 16-sauce bundle for $82. It includes one I haven't heard of called Red Hornet that's 4 times hotter than their next hottest sauce.

https://mariesharpsusa.com/apps/bundles/bundle/108612

Marie Sharp's has a special 16-sauce bundle for $82. It includes one I haven't heard of called Red Hornet that's 4 times hotter than their next hottest sauce.

You son of a bitch. I love grapefruit. Need to investigate.

1 hour ago, CooterBrown said:

I have. It just didn't have much of a grapefruit taste to me. Just kinda tasted like generic sour. I've also tried their mango one-also mediocre to my tastes. I do like some of their non-hot sauce options. The coconut jam and Belize bbq sauce are both good. The bbq sauce being somewhat like pickapeppa.

Hey old guys:  talk to your doc about consuming grapefruit if you're on certain statins, anticoagulants, and other medications.  Contraindicated.

Grapefruit was my favorite fruit but I haven’t had grapefruit anything since I got stents 6 years ago. I gotta get my fix from IPAs with a heavy amount of Cascade hops.
  • Like 1

If anyone finds one called Bloody Mary Hot Sauce please PM me. I had some at a oyster roast in Delaware in February and it was fantastic, but the bottle got away before I could get a pick. It was like a great Bloody Mary concentrated down to a thick spicy sauce and it was fucking awesome on oysters.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, huge said:

I keep coming back to Yellowbird Habanero and Ghost but I have 15+ others in rotation.  Maybe I should do a pictorial post.

I've been hesitant to try Yellowbird Habanero because I don't like things that are painfully hot(to me) and usually anything made with Habanero's will qualify. But Costco is now selling two giant Yellowbird Habanero containers (20 oz each bottle) for like 13 bucks. 

On 3/24/2023 at 11:42 AM, Buzzrock said:

If anyone finds one called Bloody Mary Hot Sauce please PM me. I had some at a oyster roast in Delaware in February and it was fantastic, but the bottle got away before I could get a pick. It was like a great Bloody Mary concentrated down to a thick spicy sauce and it was fucking awesome on oysters.

Holy shit, that combo sounds incredible.

39 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I've been hesitant to try Yellowbird Habanero because I don't like things that are painfully hot(to me) and usually anything made with Habanero's will qualify. But Costco is now selling two giant Yellowbird Habanero containers (20 oz each bottle) for like 13 bucks. 

it's a great deal. i got some of their jalapeno as well that's great.

if you are worried about the heat HEB sells a tiny bottle in the hot sauce area that gives you enough of a taste

15 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

The pain is an illusion. The capsaicin fools the chemical receptors in your mouth into thinking you’re eating something hot. It’s not like touching a hot burner on the stove. There’s no cellular damage. You’re not actually being harmed. If it really hurts, you can endure. And in a few minutes the endorphins will kick in and you’ll get a cool natural high.

Habanero tastes great. It’s worth the pain. And you build up a tolerance over time. I love habanero but I’ve got to go pretty heavy with it to get any kind of kick from it anymore. I won’t even break a sweat. 

• Hook 'Em 1