Eat What You Kill - Game Recipes, Food Prons

Anastasis

16 hours ago, Anastasis said:

Spinning this off of the Hunting thread on the hobbies board. 

Post up shit you've cooked lately. Venison, dove, squirrel, crocodile, what ever. Battle tested sausage recipes would be much appreciated. 

I have a spreadsheet for sausages that makes for a good baseline of what ingredients to use for different types. I'll see if I can figure out how to upload it. 

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1mgYrL51jm3k3jbbRkDASwB1QbqrFX91P/view?usp=sharing

Edited by Judge Roybeanbag
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Pheasant is insanely delicious.  It's also one of the most addictive forms of hunting I've ever participated in.  Friends took a trip to the panhandle and Kansas few years back.  Miles and miles of ground covered.  Watching those amazing dogs work.  Having a mild heart attack when a rooster flushes STRAIGHT UP only a few feet away, get knocked down, tuck a wing, and then F-ing run off.  We have quail on our place, but we lease to a dedicated group so I haven't gone at them in a few years.

Congratulations on the haul!  Where was this pic taken?

• Hook 'Em 1

With the hens mixed in, I assume that was a controlled shoot somewhere.  Baba, I hunted over German Shorthairs throughout jr. high, high school and college, and loved to watch them work birds with two or three inches of snow on the ground.  Without moisture, the wild birds out here make the dogs their bitches.  My dad would never let us shoot quail, as they're somewhat rare and he considered them special birds.  Starting to see more and more prairie chickens making a comeback in the last 10 years or so.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kennythetiger said:

With the hens mixed in, I assume that was a controlled shoot somewhere.  Baba, I hunted over German Shorthairs throughout jr. high, high school and college, and loved to watch them work birds with two or three inches of snow on the ground.  Without moisture, the wild birds out here make the dogs their bitches.  My dad would never let us shoot quail, as they're somewhat rare and he considered them special birds.  Starting to see more and more prairie chickens making a comeback in the last 10 years or so.

First time hunting pheasant was in the panhandle.  Snow/ice everywhere.  High school.  Giant plug of Levi Garett slopping around in my mouth.  Freezing cold.  Crappy gear.  Bird flushes within feet of me (no dogs).  Straight up.  Loud as all get out.  Scared me half to death.  Swallowed almost all the chew, turned green, spent the rest of the afternoon sulking in the truck.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

This is nothing special, but i like it for a relatively healthy lunch.  

I steam a bunch of chopped squash, zucchini and mushrooms.  

Brown a bunch of ground venison.  Drain it.  Toss in a couple jars of Rao’s marinara sauce (best sauce in jar IMO).  Mix in veggies.  Serve with a little fresh Parmesan on top and I add Louisiana hot sauce.  I eat it several times a week for lunch.  Freezes well in single server size ziploc containers.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

Pheasant is insanely delicious.  It's also one of the most addictive forms of hunting I've ever participated in.  Friends took a trip to the panhandle and Kansas few years back.  Miles and miles of ground covered.  Watching those amazing dogs work.  Having a mild heart attack when a rooster flushes STRAIGHT UP only a few feet away, get knocked down, tuck a wing, and then F-ing run off.  We have quail on our place, but we lease to a dedicated group so I haven't gone at them in a few years.

Congratulations on the haul!  Where was this pic taken?

Sag Harbor NY

On 11/8/2019 at 1:44 PM, bigshark88 said:

I should mention that I cut into medallions first instead of trying to get the internal temperature just right on the entire, oblong section of backstrap.

Also I adjust a little bit for less salt.

OK, update.  Made Friday. Hot damn it was good.  Had to substitute with beef tenderloin.  Daughter had her best friend over (Indian girl) who's parents don't eat beef.  Her and her siblings are a little more "Americanized" and they do.  They both said it was amazing.  High praise from a pair of silly little 11yr olds with picky palates.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Took this one down this morning. Had a bone saw with me so trimmed out some bone in backstrap double cut. Sous vide @ 125. Coffee, chili powder, cumin, salt, pepper in the rub, a bit in the bag and then a good coating to finish in cast iron. Plated over some chipotle based sauce. 

EF058-C71-20-A1-473-A-89-B1-6-EEEFA4-ED2

8-DE90-F63-BCC2-4-D2-E-9-EF5-DC86-E30753 

• Like 7

Yeah I am interested. Walk us through the backstrap process here in pic #1 please.

I leave my backstraps whole and cut them to my desired thickness depending who I’m cooking for. This one I butterflied, got my cast hot, sprinkled some of this on and cooked for a couple minutes per side. About as simple as can be to be honest.
ae4f892344b77fd3d7fcaee9d4b3801c.jpg

Tonight I’m chicken frying some backstrap and some pheasant as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On a side note, one of my nephews went Whitetail hunting in Nebraska on a relative’s 800 acre spread. He shot an old 20 point buck that field dressed out at 205 pounds. He’s having a shoulder mount done, as it is the biggest one he’ll ever shoot. All the meat will be processed into sausage.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

On a side note, one of my nephews went Whitetail hunting in Nebraska on a relative’s 800 acre spread. He shot an old 20 point buck that field dressed out at 205 pounds. He’s having a shoulder mount done, as it is the biggest one he’ll ever shoot. All the meat will be processed into sausage.

post an upside down pic or it didnt happen. 

Morning dove and a few limb rats in the grease dee57ba7f9f551ff92f2df88bc8ef1ad.jpg

Solid.

Just yesterday, when we were cooking together, mom was reminiscing about a meal she cooked when I was in high school. Over a couple of days, I’d brought home some dove, a couple of quail, and a pair of squirrels. On Sunday morning, she pieced out the squirrel, halved the birds, and tossed them in a casserole dish with some cream of mushroom, some butter, herbs, salt, and pepper, and put it on the oven on low when we went to church. Came home, served it over rice, and she still raves about how it was one of the best meals we’ve ever had.

Man, we all kinda dig squirrel.
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, thestud said:

Those of you that are cooking backstrap Medium Rare, are you not overwhelmed by the taste or are you brining them for a few hours first?

I soaked those bone in chops in milk for an hour or so, but I find venison pretty mild in most situations. I am very picky about getting it field dressing and dropping the temp pretty quickly after its taken. I think that makes more of a difference than anything done in terms of marinade. OTOH all of my experience is with pretty small hill country white tails.  

10 hours ago, Anastasis said:

I soaked those bone in chops in milk for an hour or so, but I find venison pretty mild in most situations. I am very picky about getting it field dressing and dropping the temp pretty quickly after its taken. I think that makes more of a difference than anything done in terms of marinade. OTOH all of my experience is with pretty small hill country white tails.  

What Anastasis said is good advice.  Cold weather helps, get it cleaned as soon as possible.  Don’t puncture any innards if you can help it.  Wash it after cleaning and let it hang at least overnight if the weather is cool enough.  Also here’s a good video of how to remove some glands/nodes that may contribute to the gamey taste.  

Here’s another 

Edited by Judge Roybeanbag
  • Like 1

Those of you that are cooking backstrap Medium Rare, are you not overwhelmed by the taste or are you brining them for a few hours first?

We hang ours in a walk in cooler for a week or so after we field dress and skin. I’ve never had any issue with a gamey taste. Matter of fact, I prefer a thick cut backstrap to a filet. The deer’s food source also plays a role in the flavor profile.

On 12/1/2019 at 10:02 PM, burns_312 said:

We hang ours in a walk in cooler for a week or so after we field dress and skin. I’ve never had any issue with a gamey taste. Matter of fact, I prefer a thick cut backstrap to a filet. The deer’s food source also plays a role in the flavor profile.

Don't have a walk in cooler, but something I've started doing the last 10 years or so, is pack all the meat into a cooler and keep it covered with ice for a week or two. Draining the blood off each day, and replenishing the ice. This drains the meat nicely of blood. I found this method out by just being too lazy to bone out and process what I had killed, and just kept it cold till I felt like doing it. Blind hog, acorn, and all.

CHIEF

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, CHIEF said:

Don't have a walk in cooler, but something I've started doing the last 10 years or so, is pack all the meat into a cooler and keep it covered with ice for a week or two. Draining the blood off each day, and replenishing the ice. This drains the meat nicely of blood. I found this method out by just being too lazy to bone out and process what I had killed, and just kept it cold till I felt like doing it. Blind hog, acorn, and all.

CHIEF

I do this for 4-5 days but have never gone over a week.  Two weeks?

I leave my backstraps whole and cut them to my desired thickness depending who I’m cooking for. This one I butterflied, got my cast hot, sprinkled some of this on and cooked for a couple minutes per side. About as simple as can be to be honest.
ae4f892344b77fd3d7fcaee9d4b3801c.jpg

Tonight I’m chicken frying some backstrap and some pheasant as well.

Hey man thanks for the pointers. Got into hunting late in life and deer hunting really late in life.

Went with bacon / toothpicks on the butterfly job and made a few other modifications. But it turned out great and even my kids ate up all their "steak" a5983a39d71cef1ea3c09b47234e7822.jpg
  • Like 1

On 11/29/2019 at 11:33 AM, Brisketexan said:

Solid.

Just yesterday, when we were cooking together, mom was reminiscing about a meal she cooked when I was in high school. Over a couple of days, I’d brought home some dove, a couple of quail, and a pair of squirrels. On Sunday morning, she pieced out the squirrel, halved the birds, and tossed them in a casserole dish with some cream of mushroom, some butter, herbs, salt, and pepper, and put it on the oven on low when we went to church. Came home, served it over rice, and she still raves about how it was one of the best meals we’ve ever had.

Man, we all kinda dig squirrel.

The Mexia side of the family really liked squirrel, but they died out before I could get to one of their reunions. I assume it's nasty as hell if you didn't grow up with it?