Dallas | Pizza

C-Man

Picking up Rock City Za for the first time in a long time. He had to shut down for a while due to pandemic issues and to find another ghost kitchen location to bake out of. Fucking stoked and my mouth is watering thinking about it 

Super nice guy but I stopped ordering because he was so far away from me and I bought Detroit pizza pans and make it myself!
  • Hook 'Em 1

He's moved around for a number of reasons quite a bit bc they operate out of "ghost kitchens" tied to Methodist churches around the area. Not ideal for consistency but I do know he was looking for investors to open up a brick and mortar which fell  short. In any case he's back up and running again so hopefully he can try and open his own place and get settled in. Restaurant bidness is rough, I know first hand  

51 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

Where do I have to go to pick up a pie?  Their website is lacking details like that.  Give me an address and a phone number and if surly approves I’ll give it a shot.

Order thru Rockcityza.com on Tuesday's starting at 10am. They'll send a confirmation like the one attached that has the address and all that shit. I'll be honest it's been crazy to keep up with all the location changes but I'm a sucker for good food 

E4829DCE-561B-4AC1-AD8D-AD5BD194D89A.png

On 3/9/2022 at 8:58 PM, Texzilla58 said:

In Arlington at i20 and Little Rd is Corky’s Pizza. It’s wood fired New Haven style pizza; the owner moved down here as his wife is from here. He grew up working at Frank Pepe’s Apizza in New Haven which is often recognized as one of the top pizzerias in the country. It’s fantastic.

One of my other favorites is i Fratelli. It’s a hell of a pizza.

On 3/9/2022 at 11:06 PM, C-Man said:

wait-what-gif.gif

7cTY.gif

• Haha 1

On 4/2/2022 at 8:16 AM, Underdog said:

Hit up Pie Tap in Plano last night, was really good.  Wife got the pepperoni and I got the bolognese, both were excellent and their Caesar dressing was different from what I’m used to but liked it also. 

It's solid. Had lunch last Monday with an acquaintance who will soon be a client. He was one of the original investors in Pie Tap but said they were all bought out of the deal. Their newer concept is called PT Neighborhood Pizzeria and it's really, really good. Not sure how many locations they have open yet but the first was on Lemmon right close to my house so I've had it multiple times and I like it a lot. I still haven't paid for pizza since getting my Ooni Koda 16 for Xmas. Not sure when that will change!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, C-Man said:

It's solid. Had lunch last Monday with an acquaintance who will soon be a client. He was one of the original investors in Pie Tap but said they were all bought out of the deal. Their newer concept is called PT Neighborhood Pizzeria and it's really, really good. Not sure how many locations they have open yet but the first was on Lemmon right close to my house so I've had it multiple times and I like it a lot. I still haven't paid for pizza since getting my Ooni Koda 16 for Xmas. Not sure when that will change!

I had PT, it was pretty good. Bigass slice for lunch, swear it was mentioned on here somewhere. Really nice ppl working there too. 

• 1 month later...

Wife and I went over to a place in East Dallas tonight that her and some girlfriends are throwing a couple's shower next week. We were in need of dinner on the way back and we were driving down Henderson and decided to just stop off at Louie's for a quick, easy meal. Maybe I'm just not a fan of the cracker crust style anymore but I can't believe I used to think this was some of Dallas' best pizza. I'm completely spoiled by the homemade Neapolitan that I can make in my Ooni or get at Cane Rosso or a half-dozen other places.

Louie's will always have a special place in my heart and it's still a great little bar but I'm passing on the pizza next time.

21 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Wife and I went over to a place in East Dallas tonight that her and some girlfriends are throwing a couple's shower next week. We were in need of dinner on the way back and we were driving down Henderson and decided to just stop off at Louie's for a quick, easy meal. Maybe I'm just not a fan of the cracker crust style anymore but I can't believe I used to think this was some of Dallas' best pizza. I'm completely spoiled by the homemade Neapolitan that I can make in my Ooni or get at Cane Rosso or a half-dozen other places.

Louie's will always have a special place in my heart and it's still a great little bar but I'm passing on the pizza next time.

Don't lose hope.  Loon still does great pizza.  Rustica with Jimmy's Italian sausage.  Pro tip -- add extra garlic.

Edited by DalTxHornFan

9 hours ago, C-Man said:

Shut your whore mouth.  It’s been a few years since I’ve been though.  We had partial Mavs season tickets for a long time, and from the time I was a teenager up to my mid-30’s, Louie’s was the traditional pre-game meal for my dad and I.  Crab claws followed by a Jimmy’s sausaage and pepperoni pizza.  Probably went once a month.  Decent chance you would see Dale Hansen pounding martinis at the bar before doing the sports on the 10 pm  news.

• Hook 'Em 2

12 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

Shut your whore mouth.  It’s been a few years since I’ve been though.  We had partial Mavs season tickets for a long time, and from the time I was a teenager up to my mid-30’s, Louie’s was the traditional pre-game meal for my dad and I.  Crab claws followed by a Jimmy’s sausaage and pepperoni pizza.  Probably went once a month.  Decent chance you would see Dale Hansen pounding martinis at the bar before doing the sports on the 10 pm  news.

It was always a big, post-game hangout for Dallas sports media

16 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Lucky bastard. Love that town. Was just there for High Water Fest for the third time.

We were supposed to move last summer, but Covid slowed that down.  Wife is a teacher, so we’re a bit tied to the school calendar.  We are now having supply chain issues on finishing up the new build we are buying, but she got a job and I can work from anywhere, so if need be we’ll find some sort of short term rental.  Once we get settled in I’m open to meeting Surlyites on vacation for a drink, and provided you’re a relatively well adjusted human being, I might be able to get you out on the water.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, conVINCEd said:

We were supposed to move last summer, but Covid slowed that down.  Wife is a teacher, so we’re a bit tied to the school calendar.  We are now having supply chain issues on finishing up the new build we are buying, but she got a job and I can work from anywhere, so if need be we’ll find some sort of short term rental.  Once we get settled in I’m open to meeting Surlyites on vacation for a drink, and provided you’re a relatively well adjusted human being, I might be able to get you out on the water.

That's awesome! We have a good friend who lives there with his wife so we get out on the water with them every time we come. Definitely down for meeting at The Blind Tiger for a drink or two.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 5/30/2022 at 1:05 AM, C-Man said:

Wonder if it’s changed some? I’d never been but have heard how great it is over the years. Finally gave it a shot a few months back and we were pretty whelmed. It wasn’t bad, it just wasn’t anything worth the greatness that we’d heard it was from several people.

1 hour ago, Landomatic said:

Wonder if it’s changed some? I’d never been but have heard how great it is over the years. Finally gave it a shot a few months back and we were pretty whelmed. It wasn’t bad, it just wasn’t anything worth the greatness that we’d heard it was from several people.

Not sure if it's changed or the Dallas pizza scene has just gotten so much better. I also like Neapolitan style best. Never been a huge fan of Campisi's, Scalini's, iFratelli's or Louie's "cracker crust" style.

2 hours ago, Landomatic said:

One of the owners died a few years ago IIRC. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/1/2022 at 3:26 PM, C-Man said:

Not sure if it's changed or the Dallas pizza scene has just gotten so much better. I also like Neapolitan style best. Never been a huge fan of Campisi's, Scalini's, iFratelli's or Louie's "cracker crust" style.

It's this.  "Dallas" style pizza (rectangular sheet pizza served on a cafeteria tray) has always been ass.  I remember when I was in college going to Campisi's and having to wait over an hour to get in...for that.  I never understood the attraction.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 1 month later...

We went to Thunderbird Pies last night for the first time. Enjoyed it. I think I enjoy Rock City Za more. They do a better job with the sauce. Felt like there just wasn't enough sauce on the Thunderbird one. The artwork was also enjoyable. 

6283B8E2-6912-4755-A40C-E2CE7876B44E.thumb.jpeg.60f57b6252372da2dc364f5a1566fda6.jpegA24710B2-48C1-47F2-9AC0-91085D0F200A.thumb.jpeg.c53c7b4f8528fad8fafdd443d719ca25.jpeg64E5D6E5-FD40-45B6-91E2-89CE4884CEB3.thumb.jpeg.3d683e4d6e7c40ca1c6b51a005167028.jpeg

Edited by mdmost
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

Not that I hear that much about it anymore but Coal Vines in Uptown has closed. I always liked going in there for a "cheap" easy date night with my wife. (We were there the night Stephen Jones allegedly ripped the Manziel draft card out of Jerry's hands and the Cowboys took Zack Martin instead.)

On 10/19/2022 at 2:32 PM, C-Man said:

Not that I hear that much about it anymore but Coal Vines in Uptown has closed. I always liked going in there for a "cheap" easy date night with my wife. (We were there the night Stephen Jones allegedly ripped the Manziel draft card out of Jerry's hands and the Cowboys took Zack Martin instead.)

That shopping center has been in disarray for a decade. I’m surprised they made it this long. The new luxury apartment complex on Maple has torn up the road for 18 months as well. 

On 10/21/2022 at 3:54 PM, C-Man said:

ZaLat is slipping noticeably the last few times I've gotten it.

They expanded too much and too quickly. When it was small the location over off Fitzhugh was really good. Now, it might as well be an expensive Domino's. Just mediocre quality at high prices.

10 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

They expanded too much and too quickly. When it was small the location over off Fitzhugh was really good. Now, it might as well be an expensive Domino's. Just mediocre quality at high prices.

They also don’t deliver themselves, which means you have to use one of the delivery services.  Which means there is a 95% chance it’s going to be cold when it arrives.  Or pick it up yourself.  The downtown Plano location is reasonably close to me, and the parking situation there sucks.  So by the time I find a spot, spend 5 minutes walking from there to Zalat, pick up the pizza, return to the car, and drive back home, I’ve got a cold pizza.  It’s been out of the rotation for a while.

That downtown one closed and moved to city line in the whole foods shopping center. 

I've never had it delivered but usually when I pick up it's somewhat cold when I get home, but I just put it on a sheet of foil in the toaster oven and it's good as new. Their quality has just gotten poor. 

50 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

That downtown one closed and moved to city line in the whole foods shopping center. 

I've never had it delivered but usually when I pick up it's somewhat cold when I get home, but I just put it on a sheet of foil in the toaster oven and it's good as new. Their quality has just gotten poor. 

I hadn’t noticed the move.  It sucks that they’ve gone downhill, becauae the new location would be a lot more convenient for me.  

• 1 month later...
On 2/8/2020 at 1:37 PM, Firemans4Horn said:

Delucca Gaucho Pizza in the design district is a winner in my book. Brazilian steakhouse style where the bring you as much pizza as you want (they have about 20 different varieties) until you tell them to stop. The salad you get at the beginning is great and drink prices are fair. Would be a fun place to go with your buddies or for a birthday. 

Necrobump.  My boss took us there for our Christmas dinner this year, and I can confirm it's really good.  Thin crust style cooked in a wood oven, the usual classics, and many unique pies (the Turkish lamb FTW) served up steaming from the oven until you tap out.  The lobster bisque, unlimited and served in a ~ 3oz glass, slams very hard on its own and as a dipping sauce for your crusts. 

Definitely will return.

Edited by Dutch
  • Hook 'Em 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/21/2022 at 3:54 PM, C-Man said:

ZaLat is slipping noticeably the last few times I've gotten it.

On 10/25/2022 at 2:09 PM, Hermanator said:

On 10/25/2022 at 2:27 PM, conVINCEd said:

They also don’t deliver themselves, which means you have to use one of the delivery services.  Which means there is a 95% chance it’s going to be cold when it arrives.  Or pick it up yourself.  The downtown Plano location is reasonably close to me, and the parking situation there sucks.  So by the time I find a spot, spend 5 minutes walking from there to Zalat, pick up the pizza, return to the car, and drive back home, I’ve got a cold pizza.  It’s been out of the rotation for a while.

On 10/25/2022 at 3:12 PM, Hermanator said:

On 10/25/2022 at 4:06 PM, conVINCEd said:

I hadn’t noticed the move.  It sucks that they’ve gone downhill, becauae the new location would be a lot more convenient for me.  

Sad to report that Cigarz Bona Pizza in Lakewood closed at the end of November.  Original owner Omar moved back to Virginia about 10 years ago and sold to the guy next door who owned The Goat.  He passed away this year, and apparently there was no one able to keep it going (or the new owner didn't want to mess with it).  I have heard that the owner of Zalat is taking it over; not sure what else could operate in that space other than a pizza place.

I will definitely miss Cigarz.  The style of pizza was unique and certainly (to me) the best in my neighborhood.  Zalat will do but in light of recent decline in quality I'm pessimistic about how things will go.

3 hours ago, DDD Dad said:

Sad to report that Cigarz Bona Pizza in Lakewood closed at the end of November.  Original owner Omar moved back to Virginia about 10 years ago and sold to the guy next door who owned The Goat.  He passed away this year, and apparently there was no one able to keep it going (or the new owner didn't want to mess with it).  I have heard that the owner of Zalat is taking it over; not sure what else could operate in that space other than a pizza place.

I will definitely miss Cigarz.  The style of pizza was unique and certainly (to me) the best in my neighborhood.  Zalat will do but in light of recent decline in quality I'm pessimistic about how things will go.

damn. Is the Bona Pizza on Lovers near Love field closing too? Or where they owned by different people. 

6 minutes ago, Firemans4Horn said:

damn. Is the Bona Pizza on Lovers near Love field closing too? Or where they owned by different people. 

Different people. As C-Man has previously posted (I think in this thread) they guy who started Bona trained under Omar in Lakewood and then went out on his own in Bluffview.

Right? @C-Man?

7 minutes ago, DDD Dad said:

Different people. As C-Man has previously posted (I think in this thread) they guy who started Bona trained under Omar in Lakewood and then went out on his own in Bluffview.

Right? @C-Man?

I’ll be honest, I drive by Lakewood Bona to go to Cane Rosso/Thunderbird. But always hate a good neighborhood spot shutting down. 

8 minutes ago, Firemans4Horn said:

I’ll be honest, I drive by Lakewood Bona to go to Cane Rosso/Thunderbird. But always hate a good neighborhood spot shutting down. 

I know Jay Jerrier but I haven’t been back in the Lakewood Cane Rosso since they had to get rid of the fountain. Kids out of control and terrible service. I do go to the one in Deep Ellum and regularly patronize Thunderbird though.