Best song by a great artist

jimmyjazz

18 minutes ago, hullabelew said:

I'm trying to decide what my favorite Los Lobos song is.  I guess (for know) I'm going to settle on "Good Morning Aztlan".  But oh, so, so many to choose from.  

Try this one on for size.  I love this song.  Kind of a Mexican Yakkety Sax.

4 hours ago, Cheeseweasel said:

Death or Glory.

One of my favorite opening stanzas of any song.

Now every cheap hood strikes a bargain with the world
Ends up making payments on a sofa or a girl
"Love 'n' hate" tattooed across the knuckles of his hands
Hands that slap his kids around 'cause they don't understand how
Death or glory becomes just another story
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Jerry Callo said:

Best line:  "You may  say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not"

Which song from The Beatles is this from?

As for the best song, it's really hard for The Beatles.  Probably go with Hey Jude.

Prince pre-Purple Rain was the best.  My vote is for "I Want to be Your Lover."  

5 hours ago, Cheeseweasel said:

This line is fantastic. Strummer/Jones were great songwriters. 

Yep. So many. 

Clampdown is another great one. 

The men at the factory are old and cunning
You don't owe nothing, boy, get runnin'
It's the best years of your life they want to steal

Hell, they wrote a catchy song about Montgomery Clift's car accident. 

Do we have a Clash thread? We should have a Clash thread.

Edited by Deej
  • Like 3

33 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Saw 'em back in the day, they came in late on the southern rock thing, and went out with it just as quickly.

My first backstage experience.  I was probably a HS senior or college freshman -- months before, my buddy and I had surreptitiously wormed our way into "press passes" to see regional hitmakers (LOL) Shooting Star, and we interviewed them for the school paper, of which I was editor.  We ended up striking up a friendship with the band and down the road they invited us to see them open for Molly Hatchett in St. Louis.

It was eye-opening.  Much whiskey, many women.  "Almost Famous" writ large.

• Like 1

You'd think with my avatar I could come up with the "best" Springsteen song, but I just can't.  Sure, I might be able to nominate a personal favorite, but even that will change with the seasons.  (Example:  I've been listening to Darkness on the Edge of Town during my divorce.  I love that song so much.)

Some might say Born to Run.  It clearly shot him like a cannon into another stratosphere.  And despite the nauseating overplay by classic rock stations over the past four decades, it's still a really, really good song.  A great lyrical rock theme, wall of sound, fantastic Clarence Clemmons solo (but not his best).  It was his magnum opus at the time.

You could also objectively say The River, Atlantic City, Born in the U.S.A., Jungleland, Thunder Road, Badlands, and a few others, and you wouldn't get much debate from me.

He just has so many songs that could be considered his "best." 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, South Austin said:

You'd think with my avatar I could come up with the "best" Springsteen song, but I just can't.  Sure, I might be able to nominate a personal favorite, but even that will change with the seasons.  (Example:  I've been listening to Darkness on the Edge of Town during my divorce.  I love that song so much.)

Some might say Born to Run.  It clearly shot him like a cannon into another stratosphere.  And despite the nauseating overplay by classic rock stations over the past four decades, it's still a really, really good song.  A great lyrical rock theme, wall of sound, fantastic Clarence Clemmons solo (but not his best).  It was his magnum opus at the time.

You could also objectively say The River, Atlantic City, Born in the U.S.A., Jungleland, Thunder Road, Badlands, and a few others, and you wouldn't get much debate from me.

I'll shoot my shot here:

• Like 2

I'm trying to think of SRV's best song.

I've got it down to:

Pride and Joy

Little Wing

Riviera Paradise

Life By the Drop

Lenny

Voodoo Chile

The Sky is Crying

Texas Flood

Tightrope

Crossfire

Cold Shot

The House Is Rockin'

Life Without You

Rude Mood

Love Struck Baby

The Things That I Used to Do

Tin Pan Alley

Look At Little Sister

Change It

1 hour ago, South Austin said:

I would vote for either the River or Racing in the Streets.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, South Austin said:

Calling bullshit on this, Dancing in the Dark is your favorite. 

The River is my favorite of his, Tunnel of Love and Philadelphia are close behind, BTR is an automatic volume blaster when on the road.  

Don't know why but whenever I hear The River, I think of the movie All The Right Moves, mainly the Sean Penn character getting married so young comparable to the protagonist and Mary in the song. 

Edited by Underdog
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Loco said:

Catchier sure...  better...  nope

I'm sticking with 'bama.  Lyrically, it's light years beyond "Freebird".  Add the riff and the fact that "Freebird" owes its fame as much to being a cultural touchstone as it is for the song itself, yeah, I can't go there.

8 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Yeah, it's terrific.  I never understood the title, but that's a minor quibble.

To give you some closure on this I had heard in an interview years ago that Mick was dating a girl in London and had to take the train to see her everyday.  The relationship was failing and eventually ended so the title refers to him taking the train to see her over and over again all for no reason at the end of the day.

On page 1 someone said Into the Mystic by Van Morrison.  That's an outstanding pick.

Some of my choices:

Heroes by David Bowie.  There's a longer version than the radio edit (by about 2 minutes) that I really like.  Theres that Bowie rawness to his voice (tou can here it in Blue Jean) too that was coming out in the early 80s.

People Get Ready.  Jeff Beck/Rod Stewart duo.  I'm not a huge fan of either one by themselves but respect their overall work.  This cover of an old gospel song is always in my melancholy rotation.

Total wildcards....  A crooner song;  Beyond the Sea by Bobby Darin.  This is just one of those songs that makes me smile.

And a Johnny Cash/June Carter Cash song; Jackson.  There are other ones by him that could go here but June's singing on this is special too. 

Edited by Macanudo

7 hours ago, Jerry Callo said:

Best line:  "You may  say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not"

On the off-chance that you're being serious, that's a Lennon song ("Imagine"), not something by the Beatles.  (And now that we're mentioning it, "Imagine" may very well be Lennon's best song.)   

Let me know if my humor meter needs to be recalibrated.

3 minutes ago, Carl Spackler said:

On the off-chance that you're being serious, that's a Lennon song ("Imagine"), not something by the Beatles.  (And now that we're mentioning it, "Imagine" may very well be Lennon's best song.)   

Let me know if my humor meter needs to be recalibrated.

"I hope some day you'll join us, and we can all live together."

• Haha 1