Best song by a great artist

jimmyjazz

I haven’t seen Zeppelin mentioned yet but my vote goes to Ten Years Gone even thought it’s not the most popular song by them.  

Too add my two cents to some other posts.

The Beatles- While my guitar gently weeps 

Bruce- Jungleland

The Band- The Weight is probably their best but a The Night they Drove old Dixie Down needs a little love also.

6 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Bob Dylan ?  Lots to choose from

Like a rolling stone

desolation row

tombstone blues

Like a Rolling Stone is the right answer but just off of Blood on the Tracks you have Tangled Up in Blue, Simple Twist of Fate and Shelter From the Storm which are all fantastic.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

I haven’t seen Zeppelin mentioned yet but my vote goes to Ten Years Gone even thought it’s not the most popular song by them.  

Too add my two cents to some other posts.

The Beatles- While my guitar gently weeps 

Bruce- Jungleland

The Band- The Weight is probably their best but a The Night they Drove old Dixie Down needs a little love also.

I might go Kashmir for Zep. Damn, that is such a cool riff in a non-standard tuning. It is hypnotizing. 

Tangled up in Blue is my favorite Dylan song, but when I hear the live version of Visions of Johanna I'll be damned if I don't think that's as perfect as Bob has ever been.

I absolutely love the Springsteen submissions of Tunnel of Love and Racing in the Street. I love his darker stuff. Atlantic City changed me forever before I was 15.

Van Morrison's Into the Mystic will be the first song played at my funeral.

And as an aside to those who've mentioned Prince earlier, I recently hired his home studio tech/engineer from the early '80s. He's an old man now, but generating lots of interest from reporters wanting to interview him about the sessions for 1999 and Purple Rain. He's a different cat, that's for sure.

7 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

For Zep, I gotta go with "Black Dog".  Still the most confounding time signature I've heard in a rock tune, and heavy beyond heavy.

Black Dog, Hot Dog, whatever it takes.

20191113_200710.jpg

Edited by Deej
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

Any thoughts on The Who?  I say Baba O’Riley.

I'm going with The Real Me.  Thrashing power chords from Pete, spastic thunder from Moon, Entwhistle's flashiest bass line, and Daltrey howling.  Everything that makes The Who The Who in one song.

But Baba O'Riley is one of the most iconic rock songs of all time.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

Like a Rolling Stone is the right answer but just off of Blood on the Tracks you have Tangled Up in Blue, Simple Twist of Fate and Shelter From the Storm which are all fantastic.

Damn, gettin' all dusty up in here.  That's a CD I take to a deserted island with me.

3 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Because Zeppelin did "Over the Hills and Far Away"

And about 10 other Zep songs.  Stairway, to me, is one of the most overrated songs ever.

As for Queen, there's always going to be a soft spot in my heart for Crazy Little Thing Called Love and We Will Rock You (And not paired with We Are The Champions.)   Crazy Little Thing was such a blast from the 50's rockabilly past and so much fun.  We Will Rock You is almost guttural.  And when May's solo slides in and kicks open the front door, the song just kicks ass.

3 hours ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

Any thoughts on The Who?  I say Baba O’Riley.

Either that or Won't Get Fooled Again.  The "meet the new boss, same as the old boss" line and that Daltrey scream toward the end make WGFA pretty special.

My personal favorites are Bargain, Substitute, and The Kids are Alright.

Edited by Carl Spackler

9 hours ago, Deej said:

Haven't listed to that song in 16 years. When my dad was dying, he asked me to put it on repeat for him. Haven't listened to it since.

Similar concept for me with this one.  My Dad died of cancer in 1999. 7 yrs later my sis had a destination wedding in Kona. She made mix CDs for everyone and this was on it. I drove around the island for hours with this on repeat thinking about Dad and it made my soul and my spirit soar. After I got home I listened to it once and couldn't stop crying for an hour. Haven't listened to it since. Even thinking about it now has me tearing up.

Anyway,  I do feel that it fits this thread. 

Edited by Buffsoldier
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Buffsoldier said:

Similar concept for me with this one.  My Dad died of cancer in 1999. 7 yrs later my sis had a destination wedding in Kona. She made mix CDs for everyone and this was on it. I drove around the island for hours with this on repeat thinking about Dad and it made my soul and my spirit soar. After I got home I listened to it once and couldn't stop crying for an hour. Haven't listened to it since. Even thinking about it now has me tearing up.

Anyway,  I do feel that it fits this thread. 

I think Louis Armstrong would tear up over this one.

35 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Regarding Queen, it’s hard to beat Fat Bottom Girls, even if Somebody to Love is probably a “better” song.

I agree with Fat Bottom Girls although most would say Bohemian Rhapsody.  My close 2 for them even thought its cheesy is One Vision.  Something about that song just rocks.

8 hours ago, Carl Spackler said:

Beach Boys -- For me, it's between God Only Knows or Don't Worry Baby, but California Girls and Wouldn't It Be Nice are right up there, too.

God Only Knows, definitely.

What would be Surly's thoughts on the Beastie Boys best song?  I love so many I can't really decide but most on here will probably say Sabotage which is one of my least favorites in their entire catalog.  I would go more old school rap like Brass Monkey, Paul Revere, something off of Paul's Boutique, So Watch 'cha Want, Thee MC's and One DJ, etc.... 

God Only Knows, definitely.
What would be Surly's thoughts on the Beastie Boys best song?  I love so many I can't really decide but most on here will probably say Sabotage which is one of my least favorites in their entire catalog.  I would go more old school rap like Brass Monkey, Paul Revere, something off of Paul's Boutique, So Watch 'cha Want, Thee MC's and One DJ, etc.... 

No Sleep Til Brooklyn
  • Like 1