Best song by a great artist

jimmyjazz

14 hours ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

Any thoughts on The Who?  I say Baba O’Riley.

Wont Get Fooled Again. 

The change, it had to come
We knew it all along
We were liberated from the fold, that's all
And the world looks just the same
And history ain't changed
'Cause the banners, they are flown in the next war

2 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Oh man, I hate that song.  (Seriously.)  Creepy Bob in full force.  "And points all her own sitting way up high"  Yikes.

What's creepy about reminiscing of adolescence and awkward teenage sex?  

I woke last night to the sound of thunder/How far off, I sat and wondered/Started hummin' a song from 1962/Ain't it funny how the night moves/When you just don't seem to have as much to lose/Strange how the night moves/With autumn closin' in. 

That kills me every time.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

Roll me away is way under rated.

It's a masterpiece.  I fell in love with it--and with Seger's music in general--when it played at the end of the movie Mask.*

*Random trivia about the movie:  The director or producer wanted all Springsteen music for the soundtrack, but the price was too high for the budget, so they opted with Seger.

I will say I despise, no, I loathe Old Time R&R.  

Hollywood Nights

Like a Rock

Mainstreet

Night Moves

Against the Wind

HM: Drummer Boy - always a Christmas favorite of mine. 

Kick myself for never seeing him in Concert, don't recall him coming to Austin that often, and now it just seems my schedule didn't mesh with the opp to see him. 

Edited by Underdog

Seger came through Austin recently, allegedly for the last time.

My thoughts on Seger:

1.  that man can write a song

2.  in that "Night Moves" video he looks like Bob Schneider

3.  is that Daphne Zuniga?  bonus points if so

4.  that's definitely Joey from Friends -- points taken away

5.  oh, almost forgot -- he was Glenn Frey's early songwriting mentor

Edited by jimmyjazz

Re: Stevie Ray Vaughan, he really didn't write a ton of songs, for a number of reasons-- I think he had only published 27 at the time of his death. I'm partial to "Couldn't Stand The Weather" as the best thing he wrote himself. 

I'll put the Black Crowes up there, not as a "great" artist on the level of the Stones or Dylan but great enough for consideration. I'll choose "Wiser Time" as their overall best song, the one that encapsulates their influences and style. I can go down the list-- Remedy is disqualified for ripping off George Clinton. 

57 minutes ago, DougO said:

Two of the greatest songs ever recorded.

Yeah, "Wichita Lineman" is just an unbelievably well-written song.  That chord progression!  Amazingly complex, yet effortless, and the melody just floats on top.

Jimmy Webb : Glen Campbell : : JJ Cale : Eric Clapton

"Wichita Lineman" . . . "By the Time I Get To Phoenix" . . . "Galveston"

"After Midnight" . . . "Cocaine" . . . a dozen more

My thoughts on Seger:
1.  that man can write a song

My first job at 14 was flipping burgers at Sonic in 1982. Our manager, who was an actual grown up of some undetermined age, was a big Seger fan. Us grunts were all into Maiden and Sabbath and Rush etc and gave him shit all the time about liking Seger. He said “Seger is a world class songwriter and when you morons grow up if you’re lucky you will understand that”. And he was right.
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, UTCzech III said:

Seger - You'll Accomp'ny Me

Who - Behind Blue Eyes

EWF - Shining Star

Zep - Levee

Gabriel - No Self Control

Anybody want to tackle Neil Young?  My personal favorite is Like a Hurricane, but Tonight's the Night is a better song.

For Seger I agree with Night Moves (wish I could get the version from the American Pop movie with the piano intro).

Earth, Wind and Fire- September but Reasons for Philip Bailey's voice and if you want the sexy time to happen.

Neil Young- I would go with Heart of Gold with Old Man a close second because it hits close to home in that I'm old and I'm a man.

38 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

My first job at 14 was flipping burgers at Sonic in 1982. Our manager, who was an actual grown up of some undetermined age, was a big Seger fan. Us grunts were all into Maiden and Sabbath and Rush etc and gave him shit all the time about liking Seger. He said “Seger is a world class songwriter and when you morons grow up if you’re lucky you will understand that”. And he was right.

A universal truth...

2 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Yeah, "Wichita Lineman" is just an unbelievably well-written song.  That chord progression!  Amazingly complex, yet effortless, and the melody just floats on top.

Jimmy Webb : Glen Campbell : : JJ Cale : Eric Clapton

"Wichita Lineman" . . . "By the Time I Get To Phoenix" . . . "Galveston"

"After Midnight" . . . "Cocaine" . . . a dozen more

I gave the edge to Galveston because it always gets me amped up, it's bitter and sweet, and proud, it's Texas, and I believe the vocal performance on that song is even more amazing. I can hear some other artist doing Wichita Lineman pretty dang good, but I don't think anyone could deliver Galveston and that ascending cresendo thing at the end the way that Glen did. Wichita Lineman is probably the greatest written song, but there is so much packed into a little 2 1/2 minute song that is Galveston, that it's a very narrow margin.