Dallas | Burgers

C-Man

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Had to drop off my son's first buck for taxidermy today up in Richardson/Garland and stopped in at JG's Old Fashioned Hamburgers at Forest/Greenville on the way home. I used to eat there once a week when I worked in the Milliman building at the corner of Meadow/75 10-plus years ago. I always enjoyed it and it didn't disappoint. It's not up there with Douglas, Skyrocket, M&M, Rodeo Goat or some others but you can get cheeseburger, damn good fries and a drink for $14 or so.

• Hook 'Em 1

Speaking of burgers, I had to stop and feed the kid dinner on the way to Stillwater in October. We were in Ardmore and ended up at chilis. The burger was actually really good - had a great sear and the meat didn’t seem prepackaged / frozen hockey puck. It actually had a bit of crumble to it. Kind of a shocking experience.

5 minutes ago, bigcigar said:

Speaking of burgers, I had to stop and feed the kid dinner on the way to Stillwater in October. We were in Ardmore and ended up at chilis. The burger was actually really good - had a great sear and the meat didn’t seem prepackaged / frozen hockey puck. It actually had a bit of crumble to it. Kind of a shocking experience.

eater and CultureMap might try to sneak chilis in Ardmore into a list of “best Dallas burgers” but we here at Surly do not. 

6 minutes ago, Firemans4Horn said:

eater and CultureMap might try to sneak chilis in Ardmore into a list of “best Dallas burgers” but we here at Surly do not. 

Yeah…only mentioned bc I saw an update and chilis are everywhere. I wouldn’t think Ardmore is the top secret test kitchen of chilis, but guess I could be wrong.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 1/1/2023 at 3:36 PM, DDD Dad said:

Anyone been to Country Burger in Oak Cliff?  Saw them teased for that Aggy Sunday am Texas Bucket List show next week.

Yes,  I tried it twice and there is no reason to go back even though it is really convenient.  Ordinary at best.  No reason to go there.   Crown Deli makes a better old fashioned burger, just south on Hampton.  You are also pretty close to Wingfield's and  Boulevardier (best upscale burger in town).  

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/1/2023 at 3:36 PM, DDD Dad said:

Anyone been to Country Burger in Oak Cliff?  Saw them teased for that Aggy Sunday am Texas Bucket List show next week.

I don't think they're related, but Country Burger in Murphy (and Plano I think) is damn good.  Great burgers and CFS sandwiches.  And they have a spicy ketchup that's so good I take a bunch home with me even if I don't have anything leftover.

Not my picture:

05a168a069d23e3870560a0b5c0adf84_-united

• Drool 2

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

While nearly a year late, frozen crap from a major food supplier. My Cliffy neighbors tell me it used to be good.

Haven’t tried M&M or Skyrocket yet. Liberty in Lakewood is my favorite so far. Tried other Liberty locations and the Lakewood location is the best IMO.

8 hours ago, ShaggyBevo RIP said:

While nearly a year late, frozen crap from a major food supplier. My Cliffy neighbors tell me it used to be good.

Haven’t tried M&M or Skyrocket yet. Liberty in Lakewood is my favorite so far. Tried other Liberty locations and the Lakewood location is the best IMO.

If you haven’t been you should get the burger at Lakewood Landing. 

• 2 months later...

Jack Perkins is opening Maple & Motor #2 in far North Dallas. Anticipated opening is sometime in June. It will be located at 14885 Preston Road.

Somebody from the neighborhood seems to have got his panties in a wad over the long-time sign that Jack displays at the original M&M, the one that says "Nobody came here to hear your screaming children" and then directed people to visit The Purple Cow if the reader had noisy children in tow. Jack posted the back-and-forth with this fuckstick. Basically, the dude from neighborhood has challenged Jack to a game of "Try That in a Small Town Far North Dallas Neighborhood". Here's their online discussion:

PERKINS:
The sign you reference is pictured here.  In the years since I first posted it, no one has been able to effectively refute its specific premise, or the underlying sentiment.

In regard to sight selection, you’ll forgive me if I fail to picture the quarter of a million people in the surrounding five square miles as a homogenous society of mommy bloggers and neutered men joined at the hip to the toddlers they’ve sired. 

For me, it would be exhausting to be so routinely offended, but for you it seems edifying.  If you are indeed the person I picture as a result of reading your comment, the sign worked as designed.  If you are not, and I’ve misjudged, I am happy to apologize in person and to buy you beer as a binder of our newfound friendship.  I am one of the easiest people to find in the city of Dallas.

SISSON:
Own it.

PERKINS:
I just did.

SISSON:
Then you won’t mind me sharing it.

PERKINS:
I’ll do it for you.  I sent it as a message because I didn’t want to pile on with the others.
I’ll do it now.

SISSON:
Good idea. Keep digging.

PERKINS:
Done.
For 15 years people like you have been foretelling my demise.

SISSON:
So much martyrdom. I didn’t foretell your demise. You have, in fact, outlasted Purple Cow (referenced in your sign). I just question whether your vibe by will play well in my neighborhood. Time will tell.

PERKINS:
Would you like to wager?  Let’s make it something valuable.

SISSON:
My choice?

PERKINS:
Name the terms.

SISSON:
Will you post the same sign at your new location?
Granted, you’ll need to swap “Purple Cow” for “Haystack” off Arapaho. They’re crawling with kids sired by “neutered men” and “mommy bloggers.”

PERKINS:
Why wouldn’t I?

SISSON:
Because business sense might prevail over ego…or perhaps not.

PERKINS:
The sign has nothing to do with ego.  My customers don’t want to be around poorly behaved children.
Neither do I.

SISSON:
Nobody does. I conceded that in my original posting. Still, it’s off-putting to new parents who might otherwise patronize your establishment.

But, hey, you’re willing to accept that.

PERKINS:
I am.
My business acumen has been established.

SISSON:
You post that same sign on the entrance door of your new establishment (swapping Purple Cow for Haystack on Arapaho) from day one to the end of your first lease at that location. I’ll wager you close that location OR discontinue dinner service, before your initial lease runs out. Loser donates $500 to Abolish Abortion Texas…just to show we’ve nothing against siring kids.

PERKINS:
How about one of these instead?

And make it more than $500

SISSON:
Called Texas Adoption Center, but got voicemail. Waiting to hear back on whether they provide adoption services to same sex couples, which I cannot support.

$500 is sufficient acknowledgment of who was correct. I have my own children to support. However, matching your $500 donation may not be out of the question.

PERKINS:
How about Scottish Rite Hospital?

SISSON:
If you’re referring to:

Scottish Rite for Children
     2222 Welborn Street
     Dallas, TX 75219

That should suffice…practically one of M&M #1’s neighbors.

PERKINS:
That’s it.

SISSON:
What day will you open the new location, and how long is your lease?

PERKINS:
The target is June.  I think I signed a 5  yr with three five year options.

SISSON:
We should both live so long.

PERKINS:
How about we make it $505.00, because I’m never buying you that beer?

SISSON:
I don’t need your beer that badly. Besides, I prefer saki.

PERKINS:
Gotcha.  Now, speaking of owning it, post the rest of the conversation to your neighborhood page.

SISSON:
Hmmm…logistically tricky. Copy & pasting it all might invite the ire of admins. As could too many screenshots.

I could copy the exchange to a public Evernote page on the web (which might be helpful for us later as well), and then post the URL on the neighborhood page with an invitation to anyone in the closed group (which you could only know about through your former student) wishing to read our exchange in its entirety. I don’t think posting a link to the transcript will ruffle any admin feathers or get the posting taken down.

PERKINS:
Perfect. Post away.
You’d be surprised how many people in your neighborhood are friends of mine.  There’s a reason we came up here.

SISSON:
Posted (sans typos and with double replies consolidated).

Sisson is anti-abortion and same-sex marriage. Sounds like a peach of a person.

Edited by C-Man
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Jack Perkins is opening Maple & Motor #2 in far North Dallas. Anticipated opening is sometime in June. It will be located at 14885 Preston Road.

Somebody from the neighborhood seems to have got his panties in a wad over the long-time sign that Jack displays at M&M, the one that says "Nobody came here to hear your screaming children" and then directed people to visit The Purple Cow if the reader had noisy children in tow. Jack posted the back-and-forth with this fuckstick. Basically, the dude from neighborhood has challenged Jack to a game, "Try That in a Small Town Far North Dallas Neighborhood". Here's there online discussion:

Note to self to hit up Maple & Motor the next time I'm in Dallas.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 1/12/2024 at 3:14 PM, C-Man said:

Somebody from the neighborhood seems to have got his panties in a wad over the long-time sign that Jack displays at the original M&M, the one that says "Nobody came here to hear your screaming children" and then directed people to visit The Purple Cow if the reader had noisy children in tow. Jack posted the back-and-forth with this fuckstick. Basically, the dude from neighborhood has challenged Jack to a game of "Try That in a Small Town Far North Dallas Neighborhood". Here's their online discussion:

On 1/12/2024 at 3:47 PM, royiv said:

Note to self to hit up Maple & Motor the next time I'm in Dallas.

On 1/12/2024 at 5:09 PM, C-Man said:

Drop me a note and I'll meet you there. (We'll get HUB to pay for it!)

On 1/12/2024 at 5:47 PM, conVINCEd said:

Maple & Motor is my favorite burger in Dallas.  Thrilled to learn they are opening a location closer to me.  This little internet slap fight will make me eat there more often.

On 1/12/2024 at 8:08 PM, mdleast said:

It must be exhausting to be such an easily offended dipshit as Sisson

Now I like Jack even more than before.  Will have to swing by when y'all are there.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...