Why would someone watch Star Trek: The Next Generation (over and over again)

tantric superman

• 2 weeks later...

I know this is a TNG thread an all, but goddamn DS9 still holds up. I just finished the end of season 1/start of season 2 Bajoran arc and it's wild how topical the show still is:

In the midst of growing civil unrest from an ineffective government, a bunch of religious Bajorans get upset because Mrs. O'Brien's school on DS9 is "too secular". The issue begins to divide the citizens on the station which leads to it getting bombed by radicals, and eventually a coup attempt on the planet and an armed takeover attempt of DS9

Eventually the thing that turned the tide was Odo getting evidence that the Cardassians were behind the unrest by funding and arming the extremist groups. 

Fuckin Star Trek, man.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Captainant said:

I know this is a TNG thread an all, but goddamn DS9 still holds up. I just finished the end of season 1/start of season 2 Bajoran arc and it's wild how topical the show still is:

Have you watched the documentary that was put together by former show-runner/producer/etc.?  They interview cast members, writers, producers, etc., up to and including Ronald D. Moore.  Free on YouTube (with ads)

What We Left Behind: Looking Back at Star Trek: Deep Space Nine

Edited by atomheartbevo

• 2 months later...

I'm almost done rewatching Season 3.  Definitely the best season of the series, and I'll say it holds up well against anything on TV today.  Only 2 clunker episodes so far (Picard in a speedo on Reihsa, and Barclay in the bolodeck.)  That's especially hard to pull off when you have 22 episodes to fill.  Among the usually mentioned episodes, Tin Man and the one with Data's daughter Lal are also very good.

The writing and plot flow was perfect.  They put an entire story in 42 minutes, and it never skipped steps or felt rushed.  SNW can get to TNG status for sure.  But they still have work to do.

37 minutes ago, Parliament said:

I'm almost done rewatching Season 3.  Definitely the best season of the series, and I'll say it holds up well against anything on TV today.  Only 2 clunker episodes so far (Picard in a speedo on Reihsa, and Barclay in the bolodeck.)  That's especially hard to pull off when you have 22 episodes to fill.  Among the usually mentioned episodes, Tin Man and the one with Data's daughter Lal are also very good.

The writing and plot flow was perfect.  They put an entire story in 42 minutes, and it never skipped steps or felt rushed.  SNW can get to TNG status for sure.  But they still have work to do.

Picard on vacation with the archaeologist smoke show was ok, but I always liked the Broccoli holodeck one. Actually every Barclay themed episode was good. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Just started rewatching it with my young daughters this time to see how they'd react to it and so far they seem engulfed. We started the pilot, but didn't finish it and I just skipped straight to the regular episodes. However, IMHO, I still think there's some really good writing in the pilot between Q and Picard.

On 8/20/2022 at 8:22 PM, DeepEastTexas said:

Heart of Glory is a great first season episode, and one of the best in the entire franchise. Probably the best portrayal of Klingons in the entire series. Some great dialogue in it too. 

Yes, that was a great episode.  

I enjoyed the story arc when his brother Kern came to the Enterprise to test him out, then back to Quo'nos for the conspiracy blaming Worf's dad for the Khitomer massacre.  I liked all the episodes with Kern, actually.  Candyman made a good Klingon.

I was in college during the best years of TNG.  Had a gang that used to get together on Sun nights to watch the new episodes.

Cracks me up now how seriously bummed out a group of young, drunk adults got when Picard was assimilated.

Everybody debated all summer how that situation was going to be resolved given Riker's last word was "Fire."

I was the only one who suggested, "They've got Picard's mind. They know about the weapon. It won't work."  Seemed obvious to me.

Urban legend is Stewart wasn't sure he wanted to come back for Season 4.  So they wrote that cliffhanger legitimately not knowing if they'd kill kim off or not.  (Riker would be promoted and Shelby permanent 1st Officer.)  Imagine the parallel universe where Stewart went back to doing Othello or something.  No way he woulda got the Professor X role.  Comic book movies may have totally failed to launch.

30 minutes ago, Parliament said:

Urban legend is Stewart wasn't sure he wanted to come back for Season 4.  So they wrote that cliffhanger legitimately not knowing if they'd kill kim off or not.  (Riker would be promoted and Shelby permanent 1st Officer.)  Imagine the parallel universe where Stewart went back to doing Othello or something.  No way he woulda got the Professor X role.  Comic book movies may have totally failed to launch.

Wow, interesting.

The Borg were such an awesome villain, until Star Trek did what it always has, and turned them into another version of us.

I loved the idea of this emotionless collective (without a Queen) whom you couldn't bargain or negotiate with.  They were terrifying.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, Parliament said:

Blow Your Mind Wow GIF by Product Hunt

• 1 month later...
On 6/26/2022 at 11:17 AM, Parliament said:

I'll say SNW is on the verge of greatness.

• Hook 'Em 1