Dallas | BBQ

C-Man

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 2/23/2019 at 2:01 PM, C-Man said:

Our annual Rob Cook-Off is next Saturday in the parking lot of the Top Golf Building. My team is defending champ. Come join us — $25 wristbands only necessary if you want to drink beer. All for a great cause and some great raffle items.

797819c26a283eed5fbff867aa4a4005.jpg

Sounds cool.  What does the $25 get you?  Ability to buy beer and listen to live music?  Any food?  I understand it's for a good cause, just asking the questions I know I'll get from the wife when I bring it up.

3 hours ago, Spoosner said:

Sounds cool.  What does the $25 get you?  Ability to buy beer and listen to live music?  Any food?  I understand it's for a good cause, just asking the questions I know I'll get from the wife when I bring it up.

$25 goes to a good cause -- the Rise School of Dallas -- AND gets you a wristband to get beer/wine for free. You don't have to pay to get on the grounds and don't care to drink Ben E. Keith's donated beer/wine. Hell, you could bring your own hooch out there if you wanted to lug it around. Teams are not required to give out food to the public but most every team will be cooking food to give to gen pop.

3 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

So, if one is in Nawf Dallas and disinclined to go down to PL, would Ten50 be a better choice than going up to Allen for Rudys?  Or maybe One 90 on NWHwy for a pound of brisket?

One90 is pretty good stuff but isn't going to have the dine-in aspect of Ten50. Personally, I'm never setting foot in Ten50 if I can avoid it.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Cattleack in Addison. 

No brainer but you'd better already be in line.

4 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I mean Rudy's is Rudy's. You can go to Rudy's whenever you want. Ten50 has more options for someone that's never been. Although it's obviously pricier. 

I haven't heard anything good about Ten50. Plus, the founder was a massive douchebag upon opening the place.

Thanks, this is for like a pound of brisket and some sausage, take out.  Not trough quantities.  There are several decent reviews of Ten50 right in this thread.

Does Cattleack have a separate take out line or any sort of accommodation?

Edited by TwiceHorn

13 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Thanks, this is for like a pound of brisket and some sausage, take out.  Not trough quantities.  There are several decent reviews of Ten50 right in this thread.

Does Cattleack have a separate take out line or any sort of accommodation?

Not unless you go with 20lbs but I'd swing by and try your luck as C-Man said given it's Spring Break. If it's not a good option given the line, Ten50 is not that far away.

15 minutes ago, C-Man said:

I haven't heard anything good about Ten50. Plus, the founder was a massive douchebag upon opening the place.

I mean it gets good reviews and I've eaten there and really enjoyed what I got. I don't get what the founder being a douchebag has to do with the BBQ, but I understand not wanting to patronize an establishment if you don't like the management. 

9 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Ten50 is Larry Lavine isn't it? He must be old af because I went to hs with his kid who was a freak. 

What's the reced sausage at cattleack? 

It is Larry Lavine. He was crowing before they'd even opened that his brisket was going to be better than Franklin's and so on. Very off-putting from the guy who started Chili's. At any rate if people like it, great. It's not convenient to me location-wise and it's not apparently not better than other prices I frequent far more often, so why bother?

As far as sausage goes, I don't think you can go wrong. I think they've always got standard jap/cheese. I'm not a fan of the ribs there, though, they have an off-putting (to me) glaze that tastes of cola. Everything else is great though.

3 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Line is insane as is parking. Fuck. I am going to be pissed id they are out of anything. 

Forgot how much I hate lines. 

They'll definitely be out of some things such as beef rib and whatever specialty item they have. Not sure about the rest, though.

8 minutes ago, C-Man said:

It is Larry Lavine. He was crowing before they'd even opened that his brisket was going to be better than Franklin's and so on. Very off-putting from the guy who started Chili's. At any rate if people like it, great. It's not convenient to me location-wise and it's not apparently not better than other prices I frequent far more often, so why bother?

As far as sausage goes, I don't think you can go wrong. I think they've always got standard jap/cheese. I'm not a fan of the ribs there, though, they have an off-putting (to me) glaze that tastes of cola. Everything else is great though.

Fair critiques. My point was mainly that, if you're in the neighborhood, the quality is probably above Rudy's. Obv it's not the litmus test for Que in DFW.

44 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Well it was about 40 minutes in line. Heading home. Slightly disappointed that they left a huge fat cap on the brisket so 3 thick slices made a pound. I didn't have the balls to ask that it be trimmed. Looks really good tho. 

Really fucking good.  I rarely order sides to go but the hatch mac n cheese looked good and is.  The three slices (four total) with moderate fat are outstanding brisket, hard to imagine anything better.  The one with the monster fat cap is good, but crumbly (getting toward the end I guess), fat is rendered, but just too thick to contemplate, really.  Between the sausage and that one slice, the package was dripping grease by the time I got home.

Sausage (Texas Spice) is excellent but almost too greasy, if there is such a thing.

I notice some flavor profile (clove? coriander?) in the brisket crust that is probably related to what you find objectionable on the ribs, c-man.  I can see that, but it isn't strong enough on the brisket to be a problem.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Well it was about 40 minutes in line. Heading home. Slightly disappointed that they left a huge fat cap on the brisket so 3 thick slices made a pound. I didn't have the balls to ask that it be trimmed. Looks really good tho. 

Yeah, probably better off not saying anything. David can be kind of an asshole. But the man puts out some great 'cue.

3 hours ago, C-Man said:

Yeah, probably better off not saying anything. David can be kind of an asshole. But the man puts out some great 'cue.

There were two dudes cutting.  I didn't get a good look at the other one, but this guy was somewhat short, skinny, and grey, short haired.  If forced to guess, the other cutter was hispanic.  I suppose the owner was cutting? 

Also, as alluded to, I got four slices and only the last one had a really monster fat layer, so I was less disappointed overall.  Also wish they had whole japs.

Also, I have never been big on the hatch chile thing.  The mac n cheese had a hint of smoke, I suppose they roast the chiles in the pit? 

Edited by TwiceHorn

Out on Paternity Leave so of course had to take advantage of rare Friday with some time to grab some to go.  Line wasn't bad at all.  I got there a little after 10, they started serving around 10:15 and I was out the door by 10:40.  That typical for a Thurs/Fri?  I might need to make the trek from work in the future if so.

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Both Tacos said:

Hutchin's BBQ has gone to per pound pricing, instead of per meat plate. Typical pricing for the meats and sides are $2.50 per serving. So lunch is a few bucks more now.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Is that just the Frisco location? As of 3-5 weeks ago McKinney still had plates. Probably sticking to rich’s there. 

Took the fam to Hutchins last Mon.  Dang line was out the door.  Happy to say that I may have finally gotten my money's worth on this, our 4th trip.  The first 3 times I got all you can eat and couldn't make it to seconds.  I think the richness of the sausage was too much.  /that's what she said

• Like 1

Heim is pretty good.  Iirc, they had pork belly burnt ends or something, which may be one of the tastiest things I've ever eaten.  Only thing I didn't like was the amount of food for the price.  I'd rather have above-average, all you can eat (Hutchins) over pricey, but tastier bbq (Heims).