Dallas | BBQ

C-Man

I've always wondered where the top end for brisket prices is for me to stop going to a BBQ joint. Well, I may just come across it. I love me some Hutchins BBQ in McKinney, but at $30/lb I think I'm done until pricing comes down.
Prices of course have been creeping up over the years and when it went to $20/lb I still was semi-okay, as long as it was really good which Hutchins hasn't ever disappointed.
Now, I'm going to sit here and get my money's worth on the cobbler and banana pudding.
This is my first trip to the dessert bar.2e75c9509133887513cf42d41251acfa.jpg

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

• Hook 'Em 1

• 1 month later...

Jeffrey Hobbs (Slow Bone) is one of our celebrity judges for our Rib/Appetizer Cook-Off. I was craving BBQ after reading the TM list yesterday and Slow Bone is the closest Top 50 joint to my house. So, my fellow BBQ chair buddy and I went by there today to grab some 'cue and congratulate Jeffrey for Top 50 recognition. Damn, I hadn't been there in quite some time and it was fantastic. We got moist brisket, jap/cheese sausage, some pork ribs, turkey and two pieces of fried chicken. It was all excellent, much better than I remembered. Get over there and support them if you can. Jeffrey is a good dude too.

272e165ae7aaada34b410c9a24add653.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2

• 3 weeks later...

All this Texas Monthly Top 50 talk got me thinking about just DFW ratings. I think BBQ (at least in the DFW area where, admittedly we are just starting to catch up with some elite offerings and a wider range of options overall) generally falls into 6 categories...

1. Elite - Cattleack is in there no doubt. Haven't been yet but obviously Goldee's. I wouldn't put Panther City in there based on the one time I had it, but maybe
  2. Upper Tier - Terry Black's would be in here for sure for me. Probably Hutchins and others in the TM Top 50, but not TM Top 10. Panther City for me
  3. Above Average - Pecan Lodge and I'm sure several others I've never been to
  4. Slightly Above Average - Rudy's gets it's own category (yeah I know it's a chain but I'd still take it over Lockhart, Heim and a lot of other places)
  5. Average - Lockhart, Heim, and a ton of others
  6. Below Average - Mostly crappy chains like Sonny Bryan’s, Spring Creek, etc. They might do in a pinch, but I'd never seek them out.
  7. Shit - Dicky's (who are laughing all the way to the bank BTW)

Whatcha got DFW Surly?

2 hours ago, Landomatic said:

All this Texas Monthly Top 50 talk got me thinking about just DFW ratings. I think BBQ (at least in the DFW area where, admittedly we are just starting to catch up with some elite offerings and a wider range of options overall) generally falls into 6 categories...

1. Elite - Cattleack is in there no doubt. Haven't been yet but obviously Goldee's. I wouldn't put Panther City in there based on the one time I had it, but maybe
  2. Upper Tier - Terry Black's would be in here for sure for me. Probably Hutchins and others in the TM Top 50, but not TM Top 10. Panther City for me
  3. Above Average - Pecan Lodge and I'm sure several others I've never been to
  4. Slightly Above Average - Rudy's gets it's own category (yeah I know it's a chain but I'd still take it over Lockhart, Heim and a lot of other places)
  5. Average - Lockhart, Heim, and a ton of others
  6. Below Average - Mostly crappy chains like Sonny Bryan’s, Spring Creek, etc. They might do in a pinch, but I'd never seek them out.
  7. Shit - Dicky's (who are laughing all the way to the bank BTW)

Whatcha got DFW Surly?

Here's my DFW list of places I've been to....

1. Elite - Cattleack, Goldee's
  2. Upper Tier - Panther City, Dayne's, Brix Terry Black's
  3. Above Average - Derek Allan's, Vaqueros
  4. Slightly Above Average - Zavala's, Hurtado's, Lockhart (all locations), Tender, Ten50, Hutchins, Pecan Lodge, Meshacks
  5. Average - Heim, Sammy's BBQ, Meat U Anywhere, Winners, Spring Creek (grew up eating it and my mom still likes going there....at least the rolls are delicious)
  6. Below Average - Same category as Shit IMHO....Dickey's, Red Hot and Blue, etc.....

On 11/5/2021 at 10:47 AM, speed817 said:

Here's my DFW list of places I've been to....

1. Elite - Cattleack, Goldee's
  2. Upper Tier - Panther City, Dayne's, Brix Terry Black's
  3. Above Average - Derek Allan's, Vaqueros
  4. Slightly Above Average - Zavala's, Hurtado's, Lockhart (all locations), Tender, Ten50, Hutchins, Pecan Lodge, Meshacks
  5. Average - Heim, Sammy's BBQ, Meat U Anywhere, Winners, Spring Creek (grew up eating it and my mom still likes going there....at least the rolls are delicious)
  6. Below Average - Same category as Shit IMHO....Dickey's, Red Hot and Blue, etc.....

I haven't tried it yet, it's just not that convenient to me, but this is the first time I've seen Zavala's talked about as "slightly above average".  Have talked to numerous people that describe in in the elite to upper tier.  So that is surprising.  Maybe you hit an off day?  Or have you been a few times?

4 minutes ago, Skipper said:

I haven't tried it yet, it's just not that convenient to me, but this is the first time I've seen Zavala's talked about as "slightly above average".  Have talked to numerous people that describe in in the elite to upper tier.  So that is surprising.  Maybe you hit an off day?  Or have you been a few times?

I've been to Zavala's twice.  I just didn't think their brisket was anything special which is usually how I judge these BBQ joints.  Their beef cheek and pulled pork was very good though along with the green sauce that they make. 

It is the same story with Hurtado's down the road in Arlington.  Gets a ton of social media hype and has a cult-like following on NTBA on facebook, but it wasn't anything special on the two occasions I went.  Definitely not worth the hour long wait.  And won't go back after witnessing a health code violation on the 2nd trip there.

• Hook 'Em 1

Anyone been to Parry Avenue Barbecue yet?  

Looks interesting.  May try to swing by there one day soon.

From CultureMap Dallas:

There's a new BBQ restaurant set to open near Fair Park doing craft Texas barbecue with a little "Texican" flair: Called Parry Avenue Barbecue Company, it'll debut next week at 4300 Parry Ave. as a full-service food truck, then blossom into a brick-and-mortar restaurant with a full bar.

Owner is Leo Morales, a restaurant industry lifer who was most recently culinary director and operating partner at Barrel & Bones Craft Bar and Smokehouse and previously a manager at Smoky Rose, the East Dallas BBQ restaurant.

It was at Barrel & Bones that he earned a reputation as a skilled pitmaster. He's also a generous soul who led a charitable initiative during the pandemic called the Great Texas Bar B-Que Pickup, where he and fellow Dallas-area pitmasters prepared brisket to feed furloughed bartenders.

He's the rare food & beverage professional who's worked both in the back and front of the house — but barbecue has become his true passion.

"I was fortunate enough to work and help develop concepts for others in the past and am truly grateful for all of the opportunities," he says. "I have always wanted to create and be true to the craft of barbecue."

The way he does that is to literally have his hand on everything he makes, so he knows it's right.

"For me, there's no designated time — I watch everything as we cook it," he says. "I'm probably in the firebox and the heat of the smoker more than I should be, but my goal is to pull the meat off the smoker with intention and make sure it's all there."

He also invests it with a personal touch by drawing from his heritage.

"I am Latino, and I use that as inspiration," he says. "Like doing a play on my grandmother's Colombian empanadas, but filled with brisket. I definitely include tacos on the menu. I do traditional Texas BBQ but with a Latin flair — a lot of umami that adds loads of flavor so you savor every bite."

He's especially into ribs. He uses a dry rub — "but we don't get too crazy," he says.

"My ribs are some of the best you'll ever get in Texas, and I have so much respect for other pitmasters, but I baby my ribs," he says. "A perfect rib has plenty of meat but I want to make sure when you bite into it that you don't have to tug. It should be an easy pull and leave you with a clean bone."

The space he's taking was most recently Bo-Leo's Taco Shack, which closed prior to the pandemic.

"I think the location is perfect for what I'm doing," he says. "Barbecue is a very specific niche market that people come out for. I am in the belly of the beast, with Pecan Lodge and Terry Black not too far away. But barbecue is subjective. It's like red wine. Only you know what you're going to like."

While he's working on the brick and mortar location, he'll set up his food truck from which he and his co-pitmaster Derek Parker will start serving barbecue within the next week or so.

They just took possession of "Little Mama," a 1K gallon smoker previously owned by Chad Sessions, award-winning pitmaster and owner of Smoke Sessions Barbecue in Royse City, who delivered it with a ringing endorsement, saying: "With this pit and his skill, big things are about to happen in Dallas at Parry Avenue Barbecue Company."

• Hook 'Em 2

Anyone been to Parry Avenue Barbecue yet?  
Looks interesting.  May try to swing by there one day soon.
From CultureMap Dallas:
There's a new BBQ restaurant set to open near Fair Park doing craft Texas barbecue with a little "Texican" flair: Called Parry Avenue Barbecue Company, it'll debut next week at 4300 Parry Ave. as a full-service food truck, then blossom into a brick-and-mortar restaurant with a full bar.
Owner is Leo Morales, a restaurant industry lifer who was most recently culinary director and operating partner at Barrel & Bones Craft Bar and Smokehouse and previously a manager at Smoky Rose, the East Dallas BBQ restaurant.
It was at Barrel & Bones that he earned a reputation as a skilled pitmaster. He's also a generous soul who led a charitable initiative during the pandemic called the Great Texas Bar B-Que Pickup, where he and fellow Dallas-area pitmasters prepared brisket to feed furloughed bartenders.
He's the rare food & beverage professional who's worked both in the back and front of the house — but barbecue has become his true passion.
"I was fortunate enough to work and help develop concepts for others in the past and am truly grateful for all of the opportunities," he says. "I have always wanted to create and be true to the craft of barbecue."
The way he does that is to literally have his hand on everything he makes, so he knows it's right.
"For me, there's no designated time — I watch everything as we cook it," he says. "I'm probably in the firebox and the heat of the smoker more than I should be, but my goal is to pull the meat off the smoker with intention and make sure it's all there."
He also invests it with a personal touch by drawing from his heritage.
"I am Latino, and I use that as inspiration," he says. "Like doing a play on my grandmother's Colombian empanadas, but filled with brisket. I definitely include tacos on the menu. I do traditional Texas BBQ but with a Latin flair — a lot of umami that adds loads of flavor so you savor every bite."
He's especially into ribs. He uses a dry rub — "but we don't get too crazy," he says.
"My ribs are some of the best you'll ever get in Texas, and I have so much respect for other pitmasters, but I baby my ribs," he says. "A perfect rib has plenty of meat but I want to make sure when you bite into it that you don't have to tug. It should be an easy pull and leave you with a clean bone."
The space he's taking was most recently Bo-Leo's Taco Shack, which closed prior to the pandemic.
"I think the location is perfect for what I'm doing," he says. "Barbecue is a very specific niche market that people come out for. I am in the belly of the beast, with Pecan Lodge and Terry Black not too far away. But barbecue is subjective. It's like red wine. Only you know what you're going to like."
While he's working on the brick and mortar location, he'll set up his food truck from which he and his co-pitmaster Derek Parker will start serving barbecue within the next week or so.
They just took possession of "Little Mama," a 1K gallon smoker previously owned by Chad Sessions, award-winning pitmaster and owner of Smoke Sessions Barbecue in Royse City, who delivered it with a ringing endorsement, saying: "With this pit and his skill, big things are about to happen in Dallas at Parry Avenue Barbecue Company."

Some shit looking brisket especially for a press pic

https://www.dallasobserver.com/restaurants/first-look-parry-avenue-barbecue-company-12496963

16 hours ago, DDD Dad said:

There's a new BBQ restaurant set to open near Fair Park

I don't know why someone doesn't try to open a spot in the BBQ Desert of central/north Dallas east of 75 (M Streets, Lake Highlands, etc.).   It doesn't have to be great, just something close to Rudy's level open daily you can stop in without making it a "event" like a run to Cattleack or one of the Deep Ellum spots.  There was a St Louis chain called "Sugarfire" that opened at Skillman and Abrams I hoped could fill that void but tried it and it was god awful.  Like Dickie's level or worse.  Pretty sure it's already closed as all the lights were off on a Friday evening recently.   I feel like if someone opened a halfway decent spot in this area it would do really well.

I don't know why someone doesn't try to open a spot in the BBQ Desert of central/north Dallas east of 75 (M Streets, Lake Highlands, etc.).   It doesn't have to be great, just something close to Rudy's level open daily you can stop in without making it a "event" like a run to Cattleack or one of the Deep Ellum spots.  There was a St Louis chain called "Sugarfire" that opened at Skillman and Abrams I hoped could fill that void but tried it and it was god awful.  Like Dickie's level or worse.  Pretty sure it's already closed as all the lights were off on a Friday evening recently.   I feel like if someone opened a halfway decent spot in this area it would do really well.

IIRC that was backed by the lady that was on the Kid Craddock show. Kelly something or other. I think her kid may have been the lead guy ( or some relative of hers).

Agreed that a good barbecue place near Central would be good. All there is now is Red Hot & Blue and I haven’t been there in at least 7 or 8 years.

Lakewood Smokehouse went under (and it was terrible IMO), and Smoky Rose is no good either.

Edit: there is a place on Greenville near Walnut Hill called Backcountry BBQ. It’s not good. They do a lot of catering but I’ve yet to have any that made me want to go to their brick and mortar location.

IIRC that was backed by the lady that was on the Kid Craddock show. Kelly something or other. I think her kid may have been the lead guy ( or some relative of hers).

Agreed that a good barbecue place near Central would be good. All there is now is Red Hot & Blue and I haven’t been there in at least 7 or 8 years.

Lakewood Smokehouse went under (and it was terrible IMO), and Smoky Rose is no good either.

Edit: there is a place on Greenville near Walnut Hill called Backcountry BBQ. It’s not good. They do a lot of catering but I’ve yet to have any that made me want to go to their brick and mortar location.

No. Kellie Rasberry IS on the Kidd Kraddick show now. Her husband Allen Evans owns the place called Oak’d on Greenville north of Lovers. Kellie has a daughter.

Probably not feasible. It’s the most expensive real estate in the city outside of uptown. Deep Ellum is cheaper to operate than in the 75 corridor unless you go north of NW HWY. East Dallas would probably be a little cheaper to operate.

I tried Back Country once 10+ years ago and it was absolute garbage.  Never went back.  Are you talking about the Red Hot and Blue and 75/Central?  It's out of business.  That shopping center is absolutely booming with lots of good food and retail.  I could barely find any parking when I tried to pick up Taco Deli at Noon on a Saturday except on the other side of where that Red Hot and Blue used to be.

Edited by Skipper

5 minutes ago, Stunns38 said:

Probably not feasible. It’s the most expensive real estate in the city outside of uptown. Deep Ellum is cheaper to operate than in the 75 corridor unless you go north of NW HWY. East Dallas would probably be a little cheaper to operate.

Yeah, that's kind of what I figured.   Although I think a Rudy's quality spot right where Sugar Fire opened up would kill it.  Honestly that set up was great.   Patio seating, cool bar with patio bar stools/TV's.  I wanted to like it.  Sausage wasn't horrible but man that brisket was just an embarrassment for Texas and pulled pork/ribs weren't much better.

1 hour ago, Skipper said:

It has been a while since I live in the area, but Baker’s Ribs used to be somewhat above average

3 hours ago, Skipper said:

Are you talking about the Red Hot and Blue and 75/Central?  It's out of business.  

Yeah.  I used to be in a wine tasting group with the owner.  I had forgotten it closed.  I think he reopened the space with some sort of South American theme.  Never went, though.  That group died out around 10 years ago.

Had a slower work day today so decided to pick up Cattleack.  Fantastic as always but damn the line was long (and I didn't bring any beers).   I guess to be expected with absolutely perfect weather.   I got in line right at 11:07 and walked out the door with my order at 12:37.  I'm guessing you needed to be there before 10:30 day for a short wait.

Had a slower work day today so decided to pick up Cattleack.  Fantastic as always but damn the line was long (and I didn't bring any beers).   I guess to be expected with absolutely perfect weather.   I got in line right at 11:07 and walked out the door with my order at 12:37.  I'm guessing you needed to be there before 10:30 day for a short wait.
I didn't get the "come on in because no line" email the past 2 days so it seems they were packed from beginning to end.

Anyone tried some of the outpost bbq places? There's two in Farmersville, about 35 min drive from Plano/Allen area east of Lake Lavon on 380, that look interesting and have fantastic prices. The locals seem to love them. Redwine's - $22 lb brisket and Wood and Time - approx $20 lbs brisket. 

Thinking about driving out there to see what they have as there's not much solid BBQ out this way on 75 north except Hutchins which is decent but always crowded. 

Knocked out Hurtado today. Damn good! My buddy was in line already when I pulled up around 10:40. We were probably the #6 or so “group” in line. We ordered “El Jefe” which has a little of everything for two people. We got the green beans and elotes for our sides, added two Texas Twinkies and a “fried cornbread” thing. I’ll have to get the actual name but it was like a cornbread muffin with brisket in it.

It was all damn good. Brisket, burnt ends and ribs were great, turkey was very good and the sausage was good. The green beans and elotes were very nicely done. All in all, it was terrific. Cool spot too with a shared patio with the bar next door (think they own/run that too). Can’t wait to go back on a Saturday and have some beers too.

870ce438b4e91385b32ed0dae7bf380c.jpg

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3
  • Drool 1

10 minutes ago, DDD Dad said:

What's the pile of meat above the brisket next to the sausage?  Pulled pork?

Yes, pulled pork. Forgot about that. It was fantastic. I didn't really care for the BBQ sauce, not a big deal as the meat in a Top 50 place is plenty good without it but I wish it was better.

In looking back at my picture, there's no way the sausage and the sauce cups weren't positioned that way on purpose, right?

The El Jefe itself is $40. The Twinkies are $5 each and the muffin thing was $6, I think. I expensed it and added 18% gratuity so it was $75 for all of that and two drinks. Only have sweet tea, though, which is bit of a head-scratcher.

• Hook 'Em 1

18 hours ago, DDD Dad said:

What's the pile of meat above the brisket next to the sausage?  Pulled pork?

I was wondering what the green sliced cucumber looking things and the white raw strip looking things in the pile above that were? Also that wedge of green citrus looking fruit on top of the elotes, what's that?

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

That's a nice area of Arlington to hang out. 4 Kahunas is great when you can get a seat and really like the Tipsy Oak too. Need to try it

I used to work in the Arlington bureau of the FWST in the late 1990's/early 2000's. Arlington had nothing like this back then. I was shocked at what has sprung up on that little stretch just south of dirty Division. Saw the Tipsy Oak, Legal Draft Brewing and a couple of other spots. Looks cool!

23 hours ago, C-Man said:

Knocked out Hurtado today. Damn good! My buddy was in line already when I pulled up around 10:40. We were probably the #6 or so “group” in line. We ordered “El Jefe” which has a little of everything for two people. We got the green beans and elotes for our sides, added two Texas Twinkies and a “fried cornbread” thing. I’ll have to get the actual name but it was like a cornbread muffin with brisket in it.

It was all damn good. Brisket, burnt ends and ribs were great, turkey was very good and the sausage was good. The green beans and elotes were very nicely done. All in all, it was terrific. Cool spot too with a shared patio with the bar next door (think they own/run that too). Can’t wait to go back on a Saturday and have some beers too.

870ce438b4e91385b32ed0dae7bf380c.jpg

Looks good but they will never get a dime of my money.

3 hours ago, conVINCEd said:

No, I’ve never eaten there,  but that wouldn’t surprise me.  The health and safety of his employees and customers doesn’t appear to be very high on his priority list.

Okay, fine...I'll say it...

Well, are you going to tell us what happened or what? Or at least post a link to the interview?