Dallas | BBQ

C-Man

1 hour ago, C-Man said:

Some of you may know -- most probably don't -- that I'm in a service group/club which raises money for the Rise School of Dallas through a half-dozen or so events per year. We're responsible for 2/3 or so of the school's $1M annual operating budget. One of our events is a Rib & Appetizer Cook-Off. I've been a vice chairman the last couple of years and am the "chairman-elect" for 2022. It's always a great time. We cancelled last year and are taking this year's on the road, so to speak, to historic Southfork Ranch, out in Collin County where they DGAF. We are tacking on a concert at the end this year (Cory Morrow and Roger Creager will be playing an acoustic show together).

Our celebrity judges for 2021 include the one-and-only Tootsie Tomanetz (Snow's) who will be joining us for the second time. Daniel Vaughn will be there as well as Jack Perkins (Maple & Motor/formerly Slow Bone), Jeffrey Hobbs (Slow Bone) and Marshall Prichard (Sammy's).

The cookoff is scheduled for June 5th. It begins at 11 or so and will run until 8.

Typically, we've had this in office building surface parking lots in and around the Bubble. It was a fun event for club members and the simple goal was to at least break even. It's started making money and now we hope to perhaps push this to even bigger heights. Our biggest event has always been Rise Roundup in the fall the week of Texas-OU. The last one we had Robert Earl Keen at Bomb Factory. We couldn't have it in 2020 so we've kind of smashed the two events together for the Cook-Off but we think this will be the model moving forward.

At any rate, several ways you can join us:

• Put together a team to come compete -- $500 to $1500 levels (you get 10 tickets to the event and entry into the cook-off)
  • Buy a VIP table for the concert -- $1500/per (10 seats -- includes all beer/wine/liquor and BBQ catered dinner)
  • Buy individual VIP ticket ($150 -- same perks, just no set table, there will be VIP ticket tables that are first-come, first-serve)
  • Buy GA ticket ($50) -- gets you in for the cook-off portion and the concert that evening (also includes all beer/wine/probably liquor)

Like I said, it's a ton of fun and it's for a good cause. Individual teams will likely be cooking all kinds of stuff and passing out samples though those aren't guaranteed. We're already discussing the possibility of having the 2022 event down at Fair Park thanks to our relationship with Ben E Keith (Budweiser is taking over all the beer distribution for Fair Park). Our ultimate goal is to make this DFW's premiere BBQ cookoff event on par with what they do in San Antonio and Houston.

Feel free to reach out to me for additional details.

c2e15b1f7bda30262a9f5232f6042827.jpg

Can confirm this is a really great event. At least the one I went to year before last was.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Spoosner said:

@C-Man Would you say this is typically a kid-friendly event, or recommend a babysitter?

1 hour ago, Landomatic said:

Definitely kid friendly

What Lando says. There will be a TON of kids out there since a lot of the guys in the club have small kids. We've had a kid's zone in the past with inflatables and face painting and stuff. I think we'll have some of the same this year. It's at Southfork so there are animals out there -- maybe petting zoo. I bet there won't be as many kids there once Morrow and Creager start playing but there's really no reason why they couldn't.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 4/28/2021 at 12:29 PM, Landomatic said:

Other than for the nostalgia, which I get, Peggy Sue’s food was shit. At least it was the last few years. So unless the new spot is somehow able to capture that nostalgia, which doesn’t seem very likely, but who knows, I can’t imagine it’s very good.

Agree on NY Subs though. Love that place. Second best sub I’ve had in town. Well...now that Jimmy’s isn’t doing them, I guess they’re #1

Went and picked up a NY Sub today. Was ordering in the app and saw a Cuban on the menu. Don't remember that before so I ordered it. I thought it was really good. They're using pulled pork from the Peggy Sue's side for sure. Came with a mustard-based, BBQ like sauce that was an interesting twist on typical yellow mustard. I highly recommend the sandwich.

NYS talk not going away.

It's still good and seems to use the same or very similar/better ingredients/bread as the Ken Harkness days.

But damn if I don't think the sammiches, particularly my 30+ year standby No. 14, were a little better in the old days./old man yells at cloud.

20 hours ago, C-Man said:

What Lando says. There will be a TON of kids out there since a lot of the guys in the club have small kids. We've had a kid's zone in the past with inflatables and face painting and stuff. I think we'll have some of the same this year. It's at Southfork so there are animals out there -- maybe petting zoo. I bet there won't be as many kids there once Morrow and Creager start playing but there's really no reason why they couldn't.

And of course I just looked back at the flyer, which very clearly states it's Kid Friendly. Ha, my bad. Thanks for the confirmation!

• 2 weeks later...
Probably passing thru East TX in a bit and my usual spot is Country Tavern but considering mixing it up and trying something different. Thoughts on Bodacious BBQ in Longview?

Sign says closed for repairs. Second location in town sign says closed for fire damage. So, a failed effort.

On 4/10/2021 at 12:36 PM, Both Tacos said:

Smoke Sessions out in Royse City had their grand opening of their brick and mortar restaurant today. It's not the Top 5 in the metroplex, but they are always consistent and everything has good flavor. Had brisket, ribs, pulled pork and beef link. 14121e6c8d92367d1a255866f6bdeb76.jpg7d981f80f0bf2a6a377a7d9535bbfa36.jpg1a581c1c704daf7f84f4446abc31508a.jpgb802b8c55fa3382a3977347648f7749c.jpg

Awesome.  This is probably the closest legit place to my home (Peninsula, Rowlett).  I got to-go a couple of years ago and it was decent.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 4/29/2021 at 1:14 PM, C-Man said:

Some of you may know -- most probably don't -- that I'm in a service group/club which raises money for the Rise School of Dallas through a half-dozen or so events per year. We're responsible for 2/3 or so of the school's $1M annual operating budget. One of our events is a Rib & Appetizer Cook-Off. I've been a vice chairman the last couple of years and am the "chairman-elect" for 2022. It's always a great time. We cancelled last year and are taking this year's on the road, so to speak, to historic Southfork Ranch, out in Collin County where they DGAF. We are tacking on a concert at the end this year (Cory Morrow and Roger Creager will be playing an acoustic show together).

Our celebrity judges for 2021 include the one-and-only Tootsie Tomanetz (Snow's) who will be joining us for the second time. Daniel Vaughn will be there as well as Jack Perkins (Maple & Motor/formerly Slow Bone), Jeffrey Hobbs (Slow Bone) and Marshall Prichard (Sammy's).

The cookoff is scheduled for June 5th. It begins at 11 or so and will run until 8.

Typically, we've had this in office building surface parking lots in and around the Bubble. It was a fun event for club members and the simple goal was to at least break even. It's started making money and now we hope to perhaps push this to even bigger heights. Our biggest event has always been Rise Roundup in the fall the week of Texas-OU. The last one we had Robert Earl Keen at Bomb Factory. We couldn't have it in 2020 so we've kind of smashed the two events together for the Cook-Off but we think this will be the model moving forward.

At any rate, several ways you can join us:

• Put together a team to come compete -- $500 to $1500 levels (you get 10 tickets to the event and entry into the cook-off)
  • Buy a VIP table for the concert -- $1500/per (10 seats -- includes all beer/wine/liquor and BBQ catered dinner)
  • Buy individual VIP ticket ($150 -- same perks, just no set table, there will be VIP ticket tables that are first-come, first-serve)
  • Buy GA ticket ($50) -- gets you in for the cook-off portion and the concert that evening (also includes all beer/wine/probably liquor)

Like I said, it's a ton of fun and it's for a good cause. Individual teams will likely be cooking all kinds of stuff and passing out samples though those aren't guaranteed. We're already discussing the possibility of having the 2022 event down at Fair Park thanks to our relationship with Ben E Keith (Budweiser is taking over all the beer distribution for Fair Park). Our ultimate goal is to make this DFW's premiere BBQ cookoff event on par with what they do in San Antonio and Houston.

Feel free to reach out to me for additional details.

c2e15b1f7bda30262a9f5232f6042827.jpg

Gonna try and make this.  I need to double-check something on my schedule first.  

On 4/29/2021 at 10:41 PM, C-Man said:

Lmk when and I’ll meet ya there

On 4/30/2021 at 9:11 AM, ShaggyBevo RIP said:

Career has just returned us to Texas and we are in Kessler Park.  I'd join in. 

i'm down one of these days.

i also had my first ever Texas Twinkie from Hutchins this weekend.  holy shit.  those are incredible.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Jive Turkey said:

i'm down one of these days.

i also had my first ever Texas Twinkie from Hutchins this weekend.  holy shit.  those are incredible.

I make them quite at bit myself. They're terrific!

• 2 weeks later...
Gonna try and make this.  I need to double-check something on my schedule first.  

Did you make it out there? We had a fucking blast. Got lucky on the weather. My team won ribs again! We won ribs in 2018, appetizer in 2019 and ribs on Saturday.

I take over as chairman for 2022 and we will likely have it in late March/early April.

Tootsie couldn’t make it because Kerry had a stroke last week. She had to stay and help things run at Snow’s.
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, C-Man said:

Did you make it out there? We had a fucking blast. Got lucky on the weather. My team won ribs again! We won ribs in 2018, appetizer in 2019 and ribs on Saturday.

I take over as chairman for 2022 and we will likely have it in late March/early April.

Tootsie couldn’t make it because Kerry had a stroke last week. She had to stay and help things run at Snow’s.

Sorry I missed it this year, @C-Man. We had hoped to head out there, but this weather and the new boat have turned out to be almost an hour-by-hour decision making process that’s controlling our schedules and fucking up our social lives. First world problems, I know. Glad to hear you had a good event and congrats on the W. Try to make it next year for sure

1 hour ago, Landomatic said:

Sorry I missed it this year, @C-Man. We had hoped to head out there, but this weather and the new boat have turned out to be almost an hour-by-hour decision making process that’s controlling our schedules and fucking up our social lives. First world problems, I know. Glad to hear you had a good event and congrats on the W. Try to make it next year for sure

It was amazing. Sorry y'all couldn't make it. Now that this is in my rearview mirror for a few months, we need to get together with our better halves ASAP.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Dinner plans fell through so we scrambled and got some Blu’s BBQ as a last minute replacement, not bad.  The lean was a bit dry but the rest got good reviews.  We’d hit it up again.  We got both lean and moist, 2lbs of pork ribs(4) ribs, 1/2# turkey, pork, Mac n cheese, beans, potato salad and coleslaw and banana pudding and cookies & cream pudding.  

17606645-642D-4C0A-92D9-353C6F543BC2.jpeg

C0FDD180-EED7-4CFB-AD11-835A048DCDB5.jpeg

31CA45E3-95AD-4C1B-9C5E-C22CDA996647.jpeg

186F79CB-76E5-45CB-A5BE-B05A226B998B.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
Tried Heim again tonight. Very very meh. How do you manage to fuck up pulled pork? Roast beef, er brisket, was cold, sausage undercooked. Pork ribs best thing on the table, but also cold. Don’t need to run back there anytime soon.
The new one by Love Field?

6 hours ago, Both Tacos said:
11 hours ago, Landomatic said:
Tried Heim again tonight. Very very meh. How do you manage to fuck up pulled pork? Roast beef, er brisket, was cold, sausage undercooked. Pork ribs best thing on the table, but also cold. Don’t need to run back there anytime soon.

The new one by Love Field?

Yep. Has gotten progressively worse each time I've gone. Pretty close to the house and was feeling lazy so I didn't want to cook or drive very far. Team TB from here on.

15 hours ago, Landomatic said:

The sausage is the best thing on the menu. All of Heim's sausages are fantastic. I've liked Heim's pulled pork in the past. The pork belly burnt ends are good but I only want one or two at a time. The burger is fantastic, IMO. The brisket has not been very good the last few times I've gone. I've been kind of craving BBQ and almost ran up there last night too. The baked potato side salad is pretty good and the beans are beans. The cole slaw is not good and I don't do collards normally.

11 minutes ago, C-Man said:

The sausage is the best thing on the menu. All of Heim's sausages are fantastic. I've liked Heim's pulled pork in the past. The pork belly burnt ends are good but I only want one or two at a time. The burger is fantastic, IMO. The brisket has not been very good the last few times I've gone. I've been kind of craving BBQ and almost ran up there last night too. The baked potato side salad is pretty good and the beans are beans. The cole slaw is not good and I don't do collards normally.

Yeah I normally agree with this but the sausage was undercooked last night and the pulled pork was so bad it was pretty much inedible.

Wish you had come up. Would have been great seeing you man. Need to get y’all out on the boat soon

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

Yeah I normally agree with this but the sausage was undercooked last night and the pulled pork was so bad it was pretty much inedible.

Wish you had come up. Would have been great seeing you man. Need to get y’all out on the boat soon

Hell yeah, say when and we'll come out. Going to get the kids from Camp Ozark next Fri/Sat but we're here the rest of the summer.

I received a bad review on Heim’s from the parents, and they basically have no taste buds left and aren’t that picky.  Told me the next time they want bbq they will be going to Sonny Bryans.  Their lack of taste can cut both ways, but based on that and this thread I’m in no hurry to try it.

I did the Heim in FW once and must have caught them on an off day. Very average. So didn’t bother to try the Dallas location. Hit up Hurtado recently and really liked it. Would go back again.

Nah, not an off day, it’s just not very good. I gave up on it when I lived over there.
  • Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Both Tacos said:

Mac's BBQ closing this week. Never been but sounds like his family had a good run.

https://share.smartnews.com/qKWQ8
To read it on the web, tap here: https://share.smartnews.com/Y95zH

I went one time before the pandemic after I read about it -- never heard of it before that. It was OK. Would've been very unremarkable if not for the history.

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Jive Turkey said:

had Cattleack today for the first time today.  holy shit, that was fantastic.  got in line at 12:10 and we paid at 12:27.  not sure if this is the new normal, but i was expecting a much longer line.  

Met a buddy/client at Heim today due to convenience and he wanted to try the burger (damn good, BTW). Another friend walked in to pick up food to take to a client's office. She said she drove by Cattleack before changing course to get Heim and said the mile was stupid long when she drove by earlier. Sounds like you got lucky.

Can't believe it took you this long to get there. It's the best in Dallas proper IMO.

Edited by C-Man