Dallas | BBQ

C-Man

On 8/20/2021 at 5:46 PM, Both Tacos said:

I got the "come on in, no line" email just after noon. Seems unless you want their specialty item, you can get there around 12:30-1:00 and not have much of a line to stand in.

Makes sense. Their brisket is not worth standing in line for. 

12 hours ago, Sal said:

Makes sense. Their brisket is not worth standing in line for. 

wrong-donald-trump.gif

Cattleack's brisket is only rivaled in Dallas by Terry Black's. It's #3 in the state for a reason. I am not a huge fan of Cattleack's spare ribs -- it has a sweet Cola-like taste IMO -- but everything else is fantastic.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Landomatic said:

Whose is?

2 hours ago, Skipper said:

Seriously.  I've probably been to Cattleack 20+ times, get brisket every time, and have always had very high quality.  Terry Blacks is only place in Dallas I've tried in the same league.

1 hour ago, Both Tacos said:

Same. I've never had bad brisket from Cattleack.

1 hour ago, C-Man said:

wrong-donald-trump.gif

Cattleack's brisket is only rivaled in Dallas by Terry Black's. It's #3 in the state for a reason. I am not a huge fan of Cattleack's spare ribs -- it has a sweet Cola-like taste IMO -- but everything else is fantastic.

1 hour ago, Zepol87 said:

Granted I have only stood in line at Cattleack 2 times because I fucking hate lines but their bbq is damn good compared to alot of what DFW has.

The Texas Monthly ranking is four years old at this point – Cattleack should not be in the top 10. That doesn’t mean it’s a bad restaurant, but it’s not elite and not deserving of being top 3 in TX. I wouldn’t even put it in my top 3 in DFW, with Panther City, Terry Black’s, and Pecan Lodge ahead of it and the rest of the pack. 

On the brisket specifically, I’ve been unimpressed by Cattleack’s somewhat benign smoke flavor, relative dryness, and their inability to render fat well. I have been several times, and it has been the same each time. The asinine hours don’t make me want to go back. Panther City in Fort Worth makes the best brisket in DFW, and both Terry Black’s and Pecan Lodge are also better on brisket. 

2 minutes ago, Sal said:

The Texas Monthly ranking is four years old at this point – Cattleack should not be in the top 10. That doesn’t mean it’s a bad restaurant, but it’s not elite and not deserving of being top 3 in TX. I wouldn’t even put it in my top 3 in DFW, with Panther City, Terry Black’s, and Pecan Lodge ahead of it and the rest of the pack. 

On the brisket specifically, I’ve been unimpressed by Cattleack’s somewhat benign smoke flavor, relative dryness, and their inability to render fat well. I have been several times, and it has been the same each time. The asinine hours don’t make me want to go back. Panther City in Fort Worth makes the best brisket in DFW, and both Terry Black’s and Pecan Lodge are also better on brisket. 

I'm on team Terry Black's.

1 minute ago, Sal said:

Panther City is phenomenal. On that, I agree 100%. I also love Terry Black's. I don't think Pecan Lodge is anywhere near its TM ranking any longer based on the last couple of times I've been. Still a cool place but I think expanding into night-time hours has hurt their quality and I'm not sure how much Justin and Diana are around any longer. I haven't been to Cattleack in probably a year but it was terrific the last time. I agree with you the hours make it difficult and Todd is a little too Soup Nazi-like for my tastes.

• Hook 'Em 3

32 minutes ago, Sal said:

hating on Cattleack and loving Pecan Lodge? what is this North Texas BBQ Addicts?

Anyone that rates Pecan Lodge over Cattleack hasn't been in 5+ years or is insane.   I've had some flat out bad BBQ from Pecan Lodge.   Pecan Lodge at their best is in the conversation but they are inconsistent as hell and pretty much off my list at this point.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, NoName said:

hating on Cattleack and loving Pecan Lodge? what is this North Texas BBQ Addicts?

5 minutes ago, Skipper said:

Anyone that rates Pecan Lodge over Cattleack hasn't been in 5+ years or is insane.   I've had some flat out bad BBQ from Pecan Lodge.   Pecan Lodge at their best is in the conversation but they are inconsistent as hell and pretty much off my list at this point.

Panther City and Black’s are probably the most consistently good BBQ in the area I’ve had, but my experiences at Pecan Lodge have also been good. Cattleack is 0-3. BBQ has a lot of variables, which anyone familiar with making it would recognize. There's no need to get your panties in a twist. 

11 minutes ago, Sal said:

Panther City and Black’s are probably the most consistently good BBQ in the area I’ve had, but my experiences at Pecan Lodge have also been good. Cattleack is 0-3. BBQ has a lot of variables, which anyone familiar with making it would recognize. There's no need to get your panties in a twist. 

it isn't that PL is shit, nobody is saying that.

sorry that Cattleack is 0-3, i've had nothing but great experience there personally. PL hasn't been the same since they left the Farmers Market in like 2014? part of that is because of their lease stipulations and part of it is they just didn't ever get back to the same level of quality they had when the doubled their pit space.

22 minutes ago, NoName said:

it isn't that PL is shit, nobody is saying that.

The last time PL was probably on the level of what I would expect on an average (not even a good) day at Rudy's.  The time before that wasn't much better.  It's a shame but at this point, if friends want to meet there I won't say no but I think it's off my list.  Particularly given Terry Blacks is right there.  Hard to imagine Cattleack going 0-3.  I've  never had a bad experience.

9 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

I don’t have my panties in a twist…you’re just wrong, that’s all. I mean, I’m trying to see your point of view here, but I just can’t seem to get my head that far up my own ass.

I don’t even care about Cattleack vs. Pecan Lodge. The best BBQ in DFW is in Fort Worth at Panther City. The overall scene still sucks but was abysmal until Terry Black’s came over from Central TX.

16 minutes ago, Sal said:

I don’t even care about Cattleack vs. Pecan Lodge. The best BBQ in DFW is in Fort Worth at Panther City. The overall scene still sucks but was abysmal until Terry Black’s came over from Central TX.

DFW's overall BBQ scene "sucks"? Sorry, I don't agree with that at all. I do agree that Panther City might be the best in DFW but you've got Cattleack, Hutchins, Pecan Lodge (occasionally), Terry Black's on the Dallas side as well as Panther City, Hurtado, Zavala's, Goldee's, Dayne's Craft BBQ, Brix BBQ, Derek Allan's, OG Heim (the one in Dallas doesn't do that much for me) in Arlington/Fort Worth are all thought highly of. (I know I'm missing some.)

• Hook 'Em 2

16 hours ago, Sal said:

"sucks"? compared to what - Austin? lol

19 hours ago, Skipper said:

Agree with this. Started going to the office more and hit lunch at PL when my boss comes in and it is very inconsistent. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Sal said:

The rest of the state – Austin/Central TX and Houston especially. Dallas punches below its weight. 

so just to be clear, it sucks compared to what is obviously the best BBQ area in the country (Austin) and one of the most diverse BBQ areas in the country? so just because it isn't Austin or Houston it sucks?

truly: if you think the DFW bbq scene sucks you need to get out more.

• Hook 'Em 1

24 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

If you think BBQ in Dallas sucks now, I am willing to loan you my time machine so you can go back to 2000 and choose between Dickey’s, Colter’s, Sonny Bryan’s, and Spring Creek.

And you omitted Sammy's, the best of the lot back in 2000. One of my closest friends owns Sammy's and it's not even in the discussion any longer -- though I stlll love the sides and scratch-made apple pie.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, C-Man said:

And you omitted Sammy's, the best of the lot back in 2000. One of my closest friends owns Sammy's and it's not even in the discussion any longer -- though I stlll love the sides and scratch-made apple pie.

Peggy Sue’s as well.  I was just naming the chains that dominated 90%+ of the bbq scene back then.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, C-Man said:

Baker’s Ribs was actually my go-to back in the dark days of bbq.

• Hook 'Em 1

27 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

Baker’s Ribs was actually my go-to back in the dark days of bbq.

Shit. Forgot about Baker's Ribs. It was solid. Had the free soft serve ice cream, which I think Dickey's (at least the original one) had as well.

31 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Shit. Forgot about Baker's Ribs. It was solid. Had the free soft serve ice cream, which I think Dickey's (at least the original one) had as well.

It was also a pitching wedge from where I lived for a few years, which probably played a big part in it being my go-to.  I’m not one to get crazy about sides, but their potato salad is insanely good.

7 hours ago, bigup2dahorns said:

That place is my jam but gotdamn you go 9 months to re-open after a fire? 
I am sure lots of issues go into it, including insurance probably told them to get their shit together but fuck. 
Found a place in Wylie (Kickin Q) that has brisket with a good bark on the brisket. Sausage was ehhhh. Asked for ribs last week and they had already sold out. At 11:20 on a Saturday. Definitely a mom & pop place but at least they try. 

The only subpar meal at Hutchins has been when they added smokers a few years ago and they were still trying to get them dialed in. 
The Texas Twinkie at Hutchins is last meal worthy. Those fucks better have some next weekend.  

That place is my jam but gotdamn you go 9 months to re-open after a fire? 
I am sure lots of issues go into it, including insurance probably told them to get their shit together but fuck. 
Found a place in Wylie (Kickin Q) that has brisket with a good bark on the brisket. Sausage was ehhhh. Asked for ribs last week and they had already sold out. At 11:20 on a Saturday. Definitely a mom & pop place but at least they try. 

The only subpar meal at Hutchins has been when they added smokers a few years ago and they were still trying to get them dialed in. 
The Texas Twinkie at Hutchins is last meal worthy. Those fucks better have some next weekend.  

Insurance and permits, throw on the labor and materials shit show in construction. 9 mos doesn’t seem all that bad really.

And not attempting to be a dick but the Yelp pics of kickin Q looks about on par with colters, much heat lamp action it seems. has it had some change lately?

2 hours ago, bluto said:

Insurance and permits, throw on the labor and materials shit show in construction. 9 mos doesn’t seem all that bad really.

And not attempting to be a dick but the Yelp pics of kickin Q looks about on par with colters, much heat lamp action it seems. has it had some change lately?

They probably weren't in a hurry since COVID and all. Probably getting some sweet Business Interruption payouts. LOL

Anyway, got an email that Doug Pickering is opening a BBQ place in Snider Plaza. I've heard it's going to be down near the CVS. Doug has done BBQ catering for quite a few years and then was involved with Smoky Rose when it opened -- think he might've been the first pitmaster there and then also was one of the guys who initially opened Ferris Wheelers. Doug is a very generous to the Touchdown Club and our charity BBQ event in particular, so go check him out once they open.

• Hook 'Em 1

They probably weren't in a hurry since COVID and all. Probably getting some sweet Business Interruption payouts. LOL
Anyway, got an email that Doug Pickering is opening a BBQ place in Snider Plaza. I've heard it's going to be down near the CVS. Doug has done BBQ catering for quite a few years and then was involved with Smoky Rose when it opened -- think he might've been the first pitmaster there and then also was one of the guys who initially opened Ferris Wheelers. Doug is a very generous to the Touchdown Club and our charity BBQ event in particular, so go check him out once they open.

I hope his place is better than Smokey Rose.

And Ferris Wheeler’s. I’ve never been but given that I never hear it mentioned for good DFW BBQ spots, I assume it can’t be all that great.

It was pretty good though not on the level of Cattleack or Terry Black’s. Maybe comparable to Slow Bone, or just below, had a cool outdoor space when the weather is nice.

21 hours ago, bluto said:

Not sure about pics and have only been 2 times.

Brisket had good bark and sausage was meh and haven’t had ribs yet.

Its not a destination bbq, but if your in the area it’s pretty good. Not Hutchins good, but at least it’s open. 
I could understand 9 months if a complete rebuild, but last I heard it was only a kitchen fire. Now that is 3rd fire at location so maybe insurance told them to get their shit together.  I am a bbq whore so I may bitch but I will be back. 

6 hours ago, Both Tacos said:

Went by there at 11:15 and line was out the door and down the sidewalk. Took him to Blue Goose and had a margarita lunch instead.
May go on Friday when we aren't pressed for time.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

check out Cattleack on Friday if you can.  last few weeks there have been "no line" emails after noon.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, Both Tacos said:

Went by there at 11:15 and line was out the door and down the sidewalk. Took him to Blue Goose and had a margarita lunch instead.
May go on Friday when we aren't pressed for time.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

It was the first day they were open after a 9 month hiatus.  Probably some pent up demand there.