Dallas | BBQ

C-Man

12 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

Okay, fine...I'll say it...

Well, are you going to tell us what happened or what? Or at least post a link to the interview?

I was making an effort to not be political outside of the CR.  Covid is a complete hoax was the gist of the interview.  I don’t support those people.  I don’t have a link, I watched it on live tv.  Tried to find one, but an NHL player with the same last name was recently traded for refusing to be vaccinated, so that kind of pollutes the google search results, and there are also a couple of state reps who have commented on covid with the same last name.  If you are anti-science, I am anti-your business.

I was making an effort to not be political outside of the CR.  Covid is a complete hoax was the gist of the interview.  I don’t support those people.  I don’t have a link, I watched it on live tv.  Tried to find one, but an NHL player with the same last name was recently traded for refusing to be vaccinated, so that kind of pollutes the google search results, and there are also a couple of state reps who have commented on covid with the same last name.  If you are anti-science, I am anti-your business.

There’s a NHL hockey player with the same last name as Brandon Hurtado? State reps as well? I’m confused AF.

15 minutes ago, C-Man said:

There’s a NHL hockey player with the same last name as Brandon Hurtado? State reps as well? I’m confused AF.

https://theathletic.com/news/cf-montreal-trade-erik-hurtado-after-forward-refuses-to-get-covid-19-vaccine/f89AUfgu5l1J/

https://sd14.senate.ca.gov

it makes searching for a old video more difficult.  I had no idea what his first name was.  I’ll try again in the morning.

https://theathletic.com/news/cf-montreal-trade-erik-hurtado-after-forward-refuses-to-get-covid-19-vaccine/f89AUfgu5l1J/

https://sd14.senate.ca.gov

it makes searching for a old video more difficult.  I had no idea what his first name was.  I’ll try again in the morning.

Found this from April 2020: https://dallas.culturemap.com/news/restaurants-bars/04-28-20-texas-new-25-percent-opening-restaurants/

Brandon Hurtado, owner of Hurtado Barbecue in Arlington, says their decision to reopen was determined by Gov. Abbott's orders.

"We're following the guildlines set by the state and federal government, who've deemed it safe," he says. "We're lucky in that we've been doing well on takeout, we've always had a strong online program, even before any of this happened, and I know a lot of other restaurants are choosing to keep operating that way. I recognize that we'll have to take extra precautions, but I think people are ready for this to be over with."

About the Heim fires.  (I kid, I kid!)  

A lawyer and a broker were fishing in the Caribbean. The lawyer said, "I´m here because my restaurant burned down, and the insurance company paid for everything."

"That´s quite a coincidence," said the broker. "I´m here because my restaurant was destroyed by a flood, and my insurance company also paid for everything."

The puzzled lawyer asked, "How do you start a flood?"

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, DalTxHornFan said:

Way cooler if they'd reopen as a Snuffers or a Kellers.  Heim hasn't impressed me lately.

Even cooler if they'd reopen and cook good BBQ. It was shit the last couple times I went.

9 hours ago, C-Man said:

I feel like this is their second fire there??

Yeah, my first thought as well. Plus a break-in IIRC.

10 hours ago, conVINCEd said:

Gotcha. I've made it a personal policy not to judge when it comes to people's views on covid, so you do you. I also know that most people have shifted their POV when it comes to covid over the last year and a half, at least to some degree one way or another. So, it's possible he no longer feels that way.

2 hours ago, Landomatic said:

Gotcha. I've made it a personal policy not to judge when it comes to people's views on covid, so you do you. I also know that most people have shifted their POV when it comes to covid over the last year and a half, at least to some degree one way or another. So, it's possible he no longer feels that way.

My personal policy is a little different than yours.  I also know very few people who have evaluated the available information and changed their mind.  

1 hour ago, conVINCEd said:

My personal policy is a little different than yours.

Cool, judge away man.

I also know very few people who have evaluated the available information and changed their mind.

Weird, I know very few people who have the exact same view on covid as they did in, say early April 2020, for example. We must know very different people. That...or one of us is just seeing what they want to see.

But whatever. Again, you do you. Not trying to turn the Dallas BBQ thread into a covid debate.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Landomatic said:

Cool, judge away man.

Weird, I know very few people who have the exact same view on covid as they did in, say early April 2020, for example. We must know very different people. That...or one of us is just seeing what they want to see.

But whatever. Again, you do you. Not trying to turn the Dallas BBQ thread into a covid debate.

In fairness to conVINCed I don't know what report he saw. I Googled and that's the only thing I can come up with. I believe he opened Hurtado in Feb 2020 and then in a month, he was shutting down entirely due to COVID.

30 minutes ago, C-Man said:

In fairness to conVINCed I don't know what report he saw. I Googled and that's the only thing I can come up with. I believe he opened Hurtado in Feb 2020 and then in a month, he was shutting down entirely due to COVID.

FWIW I think I may have seen the report he saw.  Given that he's in Arlington and runs...a BBQ joint I wasn't terribly surprised.  Reminds me of last summer when I went to Tejas with my youngest son (helping him move into his apartment in Houston).  We were the only people masked up and got looked at like we were aliens by everyone there.

Edited by DDD Dad

9 minutes ago, DDD Dad said:

FWIW I think I may have seen the report he saw.  Given that he's in Arlington and runs...a BBQ joint I wasn't terribly surprised.  Reminds me of last summer when I went to Tejas with my youngest son (helping him move into his apartment in Houston).  We were the only people masked up and got looked at like we were aliens by everyone there.

Yes, some of the stuff John/Tejas posts on FB definitely puts him in the strong conservative, if not outright MAGA, crowd of GOP. I don't want to know Kerry Bexley's politics but they're aggy so I have my suspicions.

18 minutes ago, Jive Turkey said:

been out of the country a few weeks.  needed some BBQ.  swung by Ten50.  it may not win any awards or make any top 50 lists, but it sure as fuck works when you need your brisket/ribs/torpedo fix.

It’s less than 5 minutes from the house.  I get it on a pretty regular basis when I need to take care of dinner on short notice.  They also have some of the best French fries on the planet if that isn’t something you would ordinarily order at a bbq restaurant.

Edited by conVINCEd

• 1 month later...

Sorry to have to report this...went to Terry Black's last week and it was really really meh. I took the family who was in from out of town for Christmas and of course, I oversold the hell out of it to them, only to show up and have it be way below average. Brisket was roast beef and sausage was so overcooked, we almost couldn't eat it. Pork ribs were just okay and they're normally great. Horribly disappointing top to bottom.

It was 2 days before Christmas so maybe they had their C team working holiday hours or something? Or maybe some were out with Covid? I know whoever was running the pits definitely wasn't the same guy that was running them last time we were there when everything was great. Hoping whatever the reason, it was just a glitch and they'll be back to normal next time, but that drastic of a swing in consistency is concerning.

Anyone ever been to Smokey Rose? Wife wants to go because she heard it’s good and they “have a cute patio”.

We had a free gift card when they first opened. I was whelmed.  Not over, not under, just plain whelmed.  It was fine.  Have not returned primarily because there are quite a few places between me and that are above average or better at smoking meat.  If it was around the corner I would be fine with going there on occasion.

Anyone ever been to Smokey Rose? Wife wants to go because she heard it’s good and they “have a cute patio”.

It does have a great patio. Take the wife to the arboretum and Smoky Rose afterwards and you will get laid.

You won't have any good bbq though.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Landomatic said:

Just. Don't.  Trust me.

Actually what Genco said.  If you want to get laid, then by all means go ahead.  But don't expect a good meal.  And do expect to lay out some coin.

Edited by DDD Dad

On 12/30/2021 at 8:40 AM, Landomatic said:

Sorry to have to report this...went to Terry Black's last week and it was really really meh. I took the family who was in from out of town for Christmas and of course, I oversold the hell out of it to them, only to show up and have it be way below average. Brisket was roast beef and sausage was so overcooked, we almost couldn't eat it. Pork ribs were just okay and they're normally great. Horribly disappointing top to bottom.

It was 2 days before Christmas so maybe they had their C team working holiday hours or something? Or maybe some were out with Covid? I know whoever was running the pits definitely wasn't the same guy that was running them last time we were there when everything was great. Hoping whatever the reason, it was just a glitch and they'll be back to normal next time, but that drastic of a swing in consistency is concerning.

Got to be holidays and staffing. Restaurants are getting absolutely hammered right now. They can't keep employees and now the ones they have are getting sick.

I went into Slow Bone the other day and was talking to Jeffrey Hobbs. He said it's been near impossible to find help.

I'll have to head back down there soon and see how it is. Will report back.

On 12/30/2021 at 8:40 AM, Landomatic said:

I find Terry's is very hit or miss compared to other Black's family restaurants.

Had Slow Bone for the first time this past week. It is better than Terry Black's. SB pork ribs can hold their own against any other places'.

Edited by ShaggyBevo RIP

one of my New Year's resolutions is to take better advantage of the No Line email from Cattleack.  did it today.  they were out of pork ribs, which sucks.  but i got a pork steak for the first time.  damn, that is tasty.  not quite Snow's pork steak, but damn close.

i've got to make it a point to take out of town guests to Cattleack when they're here.  such a well run joint with good people.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Jive Turkey said:

one of my New Year's resolutions is to take better advantage of the No Line email from Cattleack.  did it today.  they were out of pork ribs, which sucks.  but i got a pork steak for the first time.  damn, that is tasty.  not quite Snow's pork steak, but damn close.

i've got to make it a point to take out of town guests to Cattleack when they're here.  such a well run joint with good people.

I'm actually not a fan of Cattleack's ribs for some reason. I don't like the glaze he uses. I mean I'll eat them but they're not my favorite.

On my list is to make pork steaks as close to Tootsie's as I can some day soon. Vaughn posted her recipe and method online a few years ago. Central Market told me they can slice a bone-in pork butt for me in inch or inch-and-a-half slices.

On 1/8/2022 at 1:12 AM, C-Man said:

On my list is to make pork steaks as close to Tootsie's as I can some day soon. Vaughn posted her recipe and method online a few years ago. Central Market told me they can slice a bone-in pork butt for me in inch or inch-and-a-half slices.

I had the Cattleack Pork Steak back in November or early December and told my wife we have to figure out how the hell to cook it (then forgot).  That is good to know.  Need to find this recipe and try it.

24 minutes ago, Jive Turkey said:

Crossbuck BBQ is coming to Farmers Branch soon.

https://www.crossbuckbbq.com/

5 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

1.5 tons seems a little on the light side when a good backyard pit weighs around 500 lbs.    

This place supposed to be any good? Because the food in most of their pics looks pretty meh...

244606919_202599395311520_60723805475651

if it's above average, consider it a win for the folks in Farmers Branch.  it needs to be pretty damn good for me to go out there to try it when it opens.  but if i'm up that way, maybe i will.
in other BBQ news, this looks incredible:

Cattleack might as well be in Farmers Branch
  • Hook 'Em 1

50 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Cattleack might as well be in Farmers Branch

holy shit, you're right.  i was thinking this was gonna be up on 35 north of 635.  nope.  assuming the address is 4400 Spring Valley, it's a mile north of Cattleack.  if you're heading north on Midway, just go past Alpha and make a right at the next light, which is Spring Valley, and it's right there.  interesting choice for its location.

hopefully Cattleack sends out a "no line" email because i want to try the brisket chili Frito Pie.

On 1/8/2022 at 1:12 AM, C-Man said:

I'm actually not a fan of Cattleack's ribs for some reason. I don't like the glaze he uses. I mean I'll eat them but they're not my favorite.

They have have them precut, just thicker in the meat fridge section at mine. Think they’re going for people that want a small pork butt, but they work very well for pork steaks. I actually have better results with the thick ones. I’ve picked up some as thin as 1.5” but prefer around 2.5” for pork steaks on my setup (primo xl).

F6838F7B-3E9E-43C2-8539-2185BFBED080.jpeg

0BA6D67B-0974-44D8-92C8-1EFE7C1D0BB7.jpeg

Edited by bigcigar
  • Hook 'Em 2

9 hours ago, Jive Turkey said:

holy shit, you're right.  i was thinking this was gonna be up on 35 north of 635.  nope.  assuming the address is 4400 Spring Valley, it's a mile north of Cattleack.  if you're heading north on Midway, just go past Alpha and make a right at the next light, which is Spring Valley, and it's right there.  interesting choice for its location.

hopefully Cattleack sends out a "no line" email because i want to try the brisket chili Frito Pie.

I’ve lived in Dallas for most of my life and I’m still not very clear about the boundaries for the Dallas/Farmers Branch/Carrollton area.

1 hour ago, conVINCEd said:

I’ve lived in Dallas for most of my life and I’m still not very clear about the boundaries for the Dallas/Farmers Branch/Carrollton area.

My in-laws live at Brookhaven and that's Farmer's Branch. I *think* the dividing line between Addison and the Branch, as it's known in our family, is Marsh Road. Going west, I think Carrollton might start at I-35 or Carrollton might only border FB on the north somewhere. I'm a little fuzzy there.

1 hour ago, C-Man said:

My in-laws live at Brookhaven and that's Farmer's Branch. I *think* the dividing line between Addison and the Branch, as it's known in our family, is Marsh Road. Going west, I think Carrollton might start at I-35 or Carrollton might only border FB on the north somewhere. I'm a little fuzzy there.

I’ve always thought Marsh as well.  Google maps disagrees with that.  We have some really convoluted city boundaries in DFW.