Willie Nelson (still kicking at 90)

jimmyjazz

Was an extra for Honeysuckle Rose, was part of the crowd during filming they did for concert scene where they came out in sequin outfits to mock the other singer...  easy money and free lunch.   Lived 30+ years in Austin area and never saw Willie in concert, did hit up his old pool hall on S. Lamar back in the day. 

• Hook 'Em 1

You can talk about me all you want, BUT THE SECOND YOU MENTION MY FAMILY IN ANY WAY IS TOO FUCKIN FAR BUDDY! KEEP THEM OUT OF YOUR MOUTH OR I WILL FIND YOU... etc etc or however that unchained lobo rant went somebody innocuously mentioned his wife or kids.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Yeah, I get testy.  Sorry.  I love Willie.  I'm sure you're even nice in real life.  What is the sudden delusion on this site lately that somehow any of this is real?  

22 hours ago, Underdog said:

Lived 30+ years in Austin area and never saw Willie in concert, did hit up his old pool hall on S. Lamar back in the day. 

dude, you have got to remedy that.  he's a great man, with great music, and puts on a great concert. i've probably seen him 5 times live and that's not near enough.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, DallasHorn26 said:

I'm going to see him for the first time in a few weeks to open for Chris Stapleton at the new ballpark.  

His voice is iffy these days, but he still plays the hell out of his guitar.  I love seeing him.  That show's going to be great.  

I was reminiscing about great concerts on another chain.  Here's one of the best Willie shows I ever saw in person.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6Ehlw_yHTA

9 hours ago, thrillhammer said:

dude, you have got to remedy that.  he's a great man, with great music, and puts on a great concert. i've probably seen him 5 times live and that's not near enough.

During my time in Austin I was never much of a Country/C&W fan.  As I've gotten older I've come to appreciate the likes of Willie, Cash, etc...  

I've also never been to the Broken Spoke. 

15 hours ago, Underdog said:

During my time in Austin I was never much of a Country/C&W fan.  As I've gotten older I've come to appreciate the likes of Willie, Cash, etc...  

i'm not a huge country fan either but you should go to the broken spoke too.  just go for lunch and have a chicken fried steak and a lone star. 

On 2/21/2020 at 4:51 PM, Underdog said:

IMHO, Willie and Cash don't belong in the same conversation. 

I understand that people love Cash.  I get it. But the music doesn't match the persona, again, IMHO.

Willie's music his so much more nuanced and complex.  Cash is a cool kindergartener, Willie's a fucking grad student. 

On 2/22/2020 at 8:59 PM, Gil Bang said:

IMHO, Willie and Cash don't belong in the same conversation. 

I understand that people love Cash.  I get it. But the music doesn't match the persona, again, IMHO.

Willie's music his so much more nuanced and complex.  Cash is a cool kindergartener, Willie's a fucking grad student. 

IMO, you're heavily discontinuing Cash's contributions as a songwriter and as someone who fostered other artists, and defined to an extent what it means to follow artistic vision.  Willie did a lot of that stuff too, and Willie is a significantly better musician, but to call Cash a "cool kindergartener" just seems off.

They both belong on the Mt. Rushmore of country/Americana/whatever the fuck you want to call it.

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

Happy birthday, Willie!

Been spinning this one a lot lately. "At a time when the world seems to be spinnin' hopelessly out of control..."

There are two lines on this song that are just perfect:

"There's deceivers, and believers, and ol' in-betweeners"

and 

"In the shade of an oak down by the river, sat an old man and a boy

Setting sails, spinning tales, and fishing for whales

With a lady they both enjoy"

• Hook 'Em 1

Happy birthday, Willie! Been spinning this one a lot lately. "At a time when the world seems to be spinnin' hopelessly out of control..."

There are two lines on this song that are just perfect:

"There's deceivers, and believers, and ol' in-betweeners"

and 

"In the shade of an oak down by the river, sat an old man and a boy

Setting sails, spinning tales, and fishing for whales

With a lady they both enjoy"

Love that tune. Also love this cover:

Except when the dude sings. Who the fuck takes the microphone from Norah Jones.

• Like 2

On 5/2/2020 at 12:20 AM, tbone_ said:

Love that tune. Also love this cover:

Except when the dude sings. Who the fuck takes the microphone from Norah Jones.

Then you'll LOVE this.  Pretty lady plays piano prettily, singing Willie.  Prettily.

I'd pay top dollar to hang out on that couch during this.

Or during anything for that matter.

• 3 months later...

https://www.texasmonthly.com/the-culture/thats-just-the-way-willie-rolls/?utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=Social&utm_campaign=Book Social&utm_content=WillieSIPWayWillieRolls

It's really long but some really good stuff in here, just a ton of good Willie stories. Ray Wylie Hubbard on randomly jumping on his bus headed for a gig in Milwaukee cracked me up. 

Spoiler

It was Willie’s first bus. He called it the Time Tube because, as he explained it, “When you get on there, time passes somewhere else.” So now I’m on my way to Milwaukee, and I noticed this stick, about the size of a pencil, hanging on twelve inches of string from the ceiling. Willie goes, “That’s our magic stick.” I said, “Really?” And he said, “Yeah. It tells us what we need to know. If it’s wet, it means the bus is underwater. If it’s on the roof, that means the bus is upside-down. I said, “Okay.”

It was a pretty wild ride. The term back then was roaring. Bee Spears [Willie’s bass player] or somebody would say, “Let’s roar, Hubbard!” and that’s what we’d do. So we roared all the way to Milwaukee, they played the beer fest, then we started roaring back home. And it got so crazy that when we hit Chicago, I saw that Jerry Jeff was playing a club there. So I told Willie, “Let me out here. I need to go hang with Jerry Jeff. You guys are killing me.”

From the Rodney Crowell section...

And as we drive up, I see this Camaro out in the middle of this field, just cutting doughnuts and spinning around as fast as it could. I said, “God, what’s going on out there?” The driver said, “Guess who’s driving that car?” I had no idea. “Bee Spears, maybe?” He said, “No, that’s Stevie Wonder.” And I said, “Oh, this is gonna be fun.”

• 4 months later...

An Interview With Willie Nelson at 87: “I Didn’t Ever Think I’d Get This Old”

Well, when I was young, I was pretty dumb. And now that I’m older, I’m pretty fucking dumb. I don’t know everything, and I think I do. So there’s the problem.

https://slate.com/culture/2020/12/willie-nelson-interview-80-over-80.html

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

My 80 yr dad bought a new pickup a couple of years ago.  His first with XM Radio.  He has been in bad health lately and hasn't been driving so he let the XM subscription expire.  The other day, they had to go to Dallas for a doctors appointment he discovered this fact.  

"I've lost Willie.  When we get back home, we are calling those sumbitches and getting him back." 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 6

• jimmyjazz changed the title to Willie Nelson -- no he's not dead, I'll change the title if something happens
  • jimmyjazz changed the title to Willie Nelson (still kicking at 90)