Willie Nelson (still kicking at 90)

jimmyjazz

1 hour ago, Jerry Callo said:

Both will be at the 4th of July Picnic next weekend.  The wife (no pics) and I will be in attendance.

I'll be at the Dallas show this Saturday. Luckily they've brought the forecast high down a few degrees because Starplex on a hot, July afternoon is almost unbearable. (We probably won't get down there in time to see Steve Earle, which kind of sucks but it will be too hot.

31 minutes ago, C-Man said:

I'll be at the Dallas show this Saturday. Luckily they've brought the forecast high down a few degrees because Starplex on a hot, July afternoon is almost unbearable. (We probably won't get down there in time to see Steve Earle, which kind of sucks but it will be too hot.

Is there an official schedule for the picnic yet? I'd like to see Steve Earle, but if he's first, there really isn't anyone else I want to see until Charlie Crockett so I might show up later. 

19 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

Is there an official schedule for the picnic yet? I'd like to see Steve Earle, but if he's first, there really isn't anyone else I want to see until Charlie Crockett so I might show up later. 

I haven't seen a schedule other than I *think* the music starts at 3:15. My guess is they'll play in inverse order of the bands in this list: https://willienelson.com/pages/tour

That would mean Alison Russell starts at 3:15 and Steve Earle would be around 4:15-ish????

3 hours ago, 4th&Five said:

Steve Earle got shafted a bit there.

Yeah, disappointed about that. Would've liked to have seen him and Charley Crockett later on because I'm not showing up at noon on a hundred degree day. Probably gonna get there around 4-5 so I'll miss them both.

2 hours ago, MidTexHorn said:

Yeah, disappointed about that. Would've liked to have seen him and Charley Crockett later on because I'm not showing up at noon on a hundred degree day. Probably gonna get there around 4-5 so I'll miss them both.

same. It would be different if Q2 didn't have a no reentry policy. 

Edited by Pescado_Rojo
  • Hook 'Em 1

I don’t think we are going to bother going down to the Dallas event until 7 or so to get situated for Isbell and then Willie/Family. I’d like to see Steve Earle and Charley Crockett but not enough to go down that early.

Sigh.  I really wanted to see Steve Earle and Asleep at the Wheel.  But yeah....I can't rationalize spending 11 fucking hours outside in the heat so I can see those two, and then be mildly entertained by others until Jason Isbell and my girlfriend Amanda Shires come onstage.  Maybe we show up during Allison Russell's set?

I'm also thinking of parking nearby early (leaving one of our cars in that lot), then heading home in another car, and taking a Lyft over to the show, so we can take our own car home (no way you'll be able to get a Lyft at the end of the show).

Trying to think this through.  If the temp was going to be in the 80s, even low 90s, we might try to tough out the rest of the show, but shit....11 hours outside in this shit seems to be a no-go.  I know what Pescado's plans are -- anyone else looking to do something similar?  Oh, and yeah, the "no re-entry" policy fucking blows.  Otherwise, we'd absolutely show up for Asleep and Steve Earle, then bail for several hours and come back.

We didn’t go down until 7-ish and it was still fucking hot as hell — and we were under the cover. Would’ve loved to have seen Steve Earle but no way we were getting there at 4. Jason Isbell was incredible and Willie is Willie. He sang the entire night. Last time I saw him at this event, he’d start and Lukas would take over. No Lukas tonight, BTW. Just Willie and Micah.

3d8d006f3479a017ed8b9132a0df1aeb.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Saw him tonight for the first time. Truly an honor to see a legend, and I loved it, but there ain’t much of ol Willie left. He doesn’t sing much, but I was pleased to see he’s still got some magic in the fingers.

Fantastic.

First time I saw Willie was in 6th grade (1980 ish) at Tarrant County Convention Center with my parents.

Between acts, the roadies rolled out a huge road case that had “Show Your Tits” stenciled on it in giant letters and let it sit at the front of the stage during the equipment change over. My 12 yo self didn’t quite know what to make of that but I was sure it was way fucking cool. Never caught a glimpse of titty though.

6 hours ago, tbone_ said:

Fantastic.

First time I saw Willie was in 6th grade (1980 ish) at Tarrant County Convention Center with my parents.

Between acts, the roadies rolled out a huge road case that had “Show Your Tits” stenciled on it in giant letters and let it sit at the front of the stage during the equipment change over. My 12 yo self didn’t quite know what to make of that but I was sure it was way fucking cool. Never caught a glimpse of titty though.

Yeah the first time I saw Willie I was about that age, in the late 80s. Theres a festival here in the next city over called the Chesapeake Jubilee, which was very podunk at the time, and it was one of those portable stages you pull behind a truck. I didn't know he was going to be playing, but I was old enough to know who he was so when he came out I was like 'Hey that's Willie Nelson!"

One of my favorite memories to be honest

Edited by G650
  • Hook 'Em 1

22 hours ago, tbone_ said:

Fantastic.

So, your mom didn't comply?

• Haha 1

On 9/9/2022 at 8:41 PM, Buzzrock said:

Saw him tonight for the first time. Truly an honor to see a legend, and I loved it, but there ain’t much of ol Willie left. He doesn’t sing much, but I was pleased to see he’s still got some magic in the fingers.

It was the same way when I saw him a couple of years back.  He's basically a rapper that still plays a mean guitar.   He's playing Humphrey's soon, and I think I'll pass. 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
13 hours ago, BigDHornfan said:

Flipping channels tonight and landed on PBS,
Willie at fucking Budokan in 1984.
I’ve had 3 pours of whiskey in 20 minutes.

They say it's the only weed-free show he'd played.  He was too scared to try to smuggle weed in since McCartney bust at NRT.

• Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • jimmyjazz changed the title to Willie Nelson (still kicking at 90)