Demarvion Overshown makes plays

zork

If you’re looking for bias, I’m not sure why you’d look at the DA who received the charge. She didn’t go to Tech for undergrad. I’d look at Bobby Hiser, who could’ve let this go. He wrote the citation. He’s also a MAGA hat (no CR intended) whose son (maybe) can be seen wearing a OU shirt on his FB page. (I’m not alleging any bias myself. Just trying to point it in a more appropriate direction.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Rural Texas does, a lot.

Montgomery County Sheriff shortly after Houston/Harris county decriminalized marijuana was asked by the Chronicle if they planned to follow suit - his quote was something to the effect of "Montgomery County will not be a safe-haven for dope-smokers".

• Rage+1 1

23 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Montgomery County Sheriff shortly after Houston/Harris county decriminalized marijuana was asked by the Chronicle if they planned to follow suit - his quote was something to the effect of "Montgomery County will not be a safe-haven for dope-smokers".

There really needs to be an age limit in law enforcement as well as public office.

• Hook 'Em 1

27 minutes ago, Slacks said:

face mask to face mask on a QB is going to get a targeting.

Pretend that's Quinn against not Overshown. You'd call it.

I hate it, but it's rule.

I hope this hit leads to a rule rewriting. The height difference makes it virtually impossible to avoid that hit, the alternative would be a crown to helmet it basically. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, The Ace of Aces said:

I hope this hit leads to a rule rewriting. The height difference makes it virtually impossible to avoid that hit, the alternative would be a crown to helmet it basically. 

Rule rewriting? As written - that wasn't targeting. Maybe it leads to a ref rehiring. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

For real, he fucked up, but at least he apologized.  Also he's trying to correct the error on twitter too.  People fuck up, but the only people I don't respect are the ones that don't own their mistakes (Fuck you Chip Brown)

It’s the race to be first that annoys me about social media. He could have verified this before posting it so he should feel like shit especially as a Texas Ex. He could have at minimum DM’d him beforehand. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Just now, XForce said:

It’s the race to be first that annoys me about social media. He could have verified this before posting it so he should feel like shit especially as a Texas Ex. He could have at minimum DM’d him beforehand. 

Yeah, looks like he did "verify" it via the booking report (and those should usually be pretty trust worthy) but probably could have reached out to UT for comment.  

9 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

No it's not. 

That's from the rulebook. That didn't happen.

None of that happened. Of course it does say there are other indicators but there is nothing in the play that indicates Overshown targeted Harris to attack him in the head or neck area for a purpose beyond making the tackle. The rule states that the foul requires there be an indicator of targeting. No indicator exists on that play.

Harris changed out of the passing posture to try to avoid Overshown. In fact, if Harris had remained in the passing posture then Overshown's first contact would have been with his right shoulder. The only reason Overshown's first contact was facemask-to-facemask is because Harris turned to face Overshown to attempt an escape.

DMO kept his eyes up, saw what he hit, made the tackle. He did not lower his head, he did not crouch to strike upward at Harris's head, he did not target Harris.

Good points but every ref in the world would consider Harris to be in the act of passing there. If it’s remotely close at all they’re going to rule in favor of protecting the QB.

• Rage+1 1

2 hours ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Montgomery County is cheeks.

• Hook 'Em 2

49 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Good points but every ref in the world would consider Harris to be in the act of passing there. If it’s remotely close at all they’re going to rule in favor of protecting the QB.

The actual refs on the field didn't throw a flag. So, you're wrong. 

The problem is that a bunch of people, including apparently replay officials, don't understand how the rule works. They think that because one of the indications of targeting exists that defacto that means there was targeting. But that isn't the rule. You can actually have an indication of targeting against a defenseless player and still not have a targeting penalty if it is clear that there was no intention "of attacking with forcible contact that goes beyond making a legal tackle or a legal block or playing the ball." While there is a presumption of targeting built into the rules ("When in question, it is a foul"), that can be overcome. 

• Hook 'Em 1

If that shit was targeting they need to change the rules. Either better define targeting and make it more focused on deliberate helmet to helmet, or make it where just touching the qb behind the line of scrimmage is considered a tackle.

Currently defensive players have two choices: risk getting ejected when trying to tackle a qb behind the line of scrimmage no matter how careful, and going in so soft the qb sheds a weak tackle and smokes the defense.