Demarvion Overshown makes plays

zork

Maybe there needs to be a loud, public call for the dissolutiion of the ncaa, for this shit, as well as their refusal to enforce their own recruiting rules. It will not likely happen soon, but the best way to get their attention is to show them that the consumers of the product they are supposed to be regulating are tired of their bullshit and are mobilizing to do away with their phoney baloney jobs. Maybe they should watch how well the sideshow conferences do after the major programs leave them in their wake. It's not like we can boycott them. But we can tell them we're mad as hell, and we're not going to take it anymore.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, immamac said:

I'm starting to believe this. This is twice that national media has been straight on the WTF side and even fans that hate Texas are admitting Texas is getting jobbed. What an absolute disgrace. 

Me too because watching the game with my son, who got very upset at the time of the call, I told him not to worry that it will be an easy review to overturn and Overshown won’t miss any of the Tech game.

I hope it's that easy, or close to it. Unfortunately, I fear it will only get better, in college football, once the conferences clean out their conference officiating up top, while also leaving the NCAA. 

I don’t get that much into the NCAA, but I view it a bit like the NFL/Goodell relationship. If the schools really wanted a change right now, it’d happen. You’d have to think the NCAA will be no longer but the question is when.

We also need to be honest. There are a lot of nimrods out there outside the NCAA offices with agendas, attitudes and self serving desires so I’ll be skeptical until proven otherwise.

3 minutes ago, 1leggedduck said:

Maybe there needs to be a loud, public call for the dissolutiion of the ncaa, for this shit, as well as their refusal to enforce their own recruiting rules. It will not likely happen soon, but the best way to get their attention is to show them that the consumers of the product they are supposed to be regulating are tired of their bullshit and are mobilizing to do away with their phoney baloney jobs. Maybe they should watch how well the sideshow conferences do after the major programs leave them in their wake. It's not like we can boycott them. But we can tell them we're mad as hell, and we're not going to take it anymore.

Rapelor being allowed to skate from their nastyass Briles rape coverup scandal should have been the nail in the NCAA & B12 compliance coffin.

Bunch of goddamned enablers are running both those disgraced & corrupt institutions.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

Rapelor being allowed to skate from their nastyass Briles rape coverup scandal should have been the nail in the NCAA & B12 compliance coffin.

Bunch of goddamned enablers are running both those disgraced & corrupt institutions.

They can do hard but just things, or do as little as humanly possible, and the pay is the same. No consequences to taking the low, lazy road.

2 hours ago, JBJ said:

Someone explain to me how the DMO hit is different than Play #1 here:

That guy led with his head more then Overshown did, and Ref says "There's no launch. No leading with the head. No upawrd thrust. Just because helmets collide it doesn't mean we're always gonna have a targeting foul". That one was more like targeting than Overshown's, but it still wasn't really targeting and was overturned as it should have been..

14 hours ago, Valmy77 said:

I am baffled by the idea that a hit on a QB looking downfield about to pass is a hit on a defenseless player. I mean aren't most QBs looking downfield about to pass on passing plays? And that QB was hard as fuck to tackle, I don't see any evidence Overshown was trying to hurt him just bring him down.

Overshown himself thought it was a clean hit. Was that ignorance on his part? Was he poorly coached? Seems more likely the rules are vague and arbitrary in this regard.

CctgP-_UAAQ8oV7.png

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 5
  • Fuck You 1

I would love to see them steal from the Rugby world and adopt the no arms rule

No arms: Failing to use arms in the tackle is also known as a shoulder charge. The defender leads with their shoulder and the arms don’t form part of the collision. So, if a player leads with their right shoulder, wrapping the left arm does not suffice. You need to wrap the arm of the shoulder you lead with.

Enforcing tacklers to wrap up would significantly take the head out of the game. It is pretty damn hard to wrap up and keep your down. NCAA needs to govern the process, not the result of the hit. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I got to hang w Mr. Overshown last summer and thought he was a really great guy. Forget football, dude could have a very successful modeling career. I missed the game cause I can't stand Galindo. After finally seeing the replay, I can't help but think it's a really close call to make and anyone can see enough there to interpret it however they see fit. It's not as easy a call to make either way, as some people here are suggesting it is.  

Q2.jpg 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck You 1

7 minutes ago, TreatyOak said:

After finally seeing the replay, I can't help but think it's a really close call to make and anyone can see enough there to interpret it however they see fit. It's not as easy a call to make either way, as some people here are suggesting it is.  

I agree.  But that is exactly why the booth can't call targeting.  Flag on the field would be more forgivable.

New rule and all so I don't know how they are supposed to call it, but I do understand the QB being considered defenseless with how the play went.

It just that's there's no way for the booth to think there's a clear indicator of targeting.

Edited by JBJ
  • Hook 'Em 1

As a TX HSFB official, I’m baffled by the idea that this targeting call wasn’t overruled by Steve Shaw and the NCAA. Neither targeting rule fit the play, no crown, and no intent on a defenseless player. - (9-1-3 or 9-1-4). Yes he hit the QB head to head or FM to FM, but he also wrapped up as he made the tackle simultaneously.

DO was on the QB, inside the tackle box and under 3 sec from the snap, he (QB) wasn’t looking downfield, as he saw #0 coming straight at him as he received the snap!

There was NO flag on the field, so it was a total BS call to stop play and be reviewed by the booth officials. They were definitely trying to read too much into “QB looking downfield” - IMO. Never once was he a defenseless player.

RBs get hit much more aggressively every game, from sub-varsity to NCAA, and there’s no call, just a tackle.

Hook’em!

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

I watched the highlights of calls from Steve Shaw on the calls from week 3 and this play “ahem” didn’t make the video. Just saying! Somebody is trying to coverup someone else’s error - IMO. Not a teaching moment, as we in TXHSFB are the only state to utilize NCAA rules.

Hook’em!

• Hook 'Em 1

I heard Dusty and Danny call for a march on the NCAA over the Overshown call. It was their first segment this morning.

Danny (former FSU QB) called it, “incidental contact.” Helmets are big.

Seeing that Auburn one from last year, they look eerily similar, but there might be even less head contact in the Auburn one (but more launching as described above).

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, UncleBuck said:

I am sick and tired of these dumbass internet/twitter refs rushing to tell me how it was the right call. "First off he leads with his helmet." WHAT OTHER BODY PART DO YOU EXPECT TO BE LEADING? Your head will always be out front unless you're standing straight up, and no one stands straight up to make a tackle, or with their head angled back so that it is not out front. These kids can't change the order their body parts are stacked in. These dweebs need to get away from our game, they're fucking it up. 

I mean, I'd agree with you 100%, except for one thing. I DON'T see anyone defending this call/appeal. I'm seeing pretty much universal hatred for it, and from every fan base.

10 hours ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Sark needs to begin every Monday press conference with a compilation video of the bad calls from the previous game and then list off the names of the crew.

This is now impacting the health and potential livelihood of our players at the next level. Need to make the refs think twice about the obviously preplanned screw jobs.

Realistically, the SEC is more equal.  They really don't protect anyone.  So I wouldn't make that argument.

"Stationary opponent"? If he would have been stationary DO would have run into the QB's shoulder instead of his facemask when the QB rotated his body last second to try and escape the hit. (like he did on prior plays all game long).  Terry is just a bitter old LSU grad. I can see why he's retired from the field.

image.png.184968fe3d822e57d115e6bf55517d6c.png

4 minutes ago, msucolt45 said:

Everyone needs to remember that DO’s call wasn’t “on the field,” but signaled from the booth to review. Field crew had no problem with the live action, but it was a WTF moment by the booth. How that call was upheld is beyond me.

Hook’em!

Based on what was released about the review, it honestly doesn't look like the NCAA even attempted to identify an indication of targeting. It focused entirely on whether the QB was defenseless. It will not surprise me at all to find out that the Big 12 somehow submitted the appeal in way that made the NCAA think that whether the QB was defenseless was the only issue being appealed. 

• Hook 'Em 1