The Night Vision Fanatics Thread

cabowabo

10 hours ago, jofus said:

Yes.

Pigs didn’t cooperate over the weekend. Deer were everywhere though.

cc61c0d2c3d52fababd8e932aeab9359.jpg

Does it record video internally or just do individual pics?  My NOX just does pics unless I hook up the little video dvr to it which is a hassle.

I’m also curious what the native magnification is on your unit.

/no homo

Edited by Cajun

Pic of my shar pei using the edge detect mode on the NOX.  My Macbook doesn’t work with the thermal, so I literally just put the iphone camera up to the optic.  It looks much better through the thermal…

0900EE70-BAB1-4A79-B6C1-DE68D5365C13.jpeg

Edited by Cajun
Reminds me of the “Take on me” video.
  • Haha 2

25 minutes ago, Cajun said:

Pic of my shar pei using the edge detect mode on the NOX.  My Macbook doesn’t work with the thermal, so I literally just put the iphone camera up to the optic.  It looks much better through the thermal…

0900EE70-BAB1-4A79-B6C1-DE68D5365C13.jpeg

You took a thermal pic of your dog skooching across the carpet?

Kinky!!

Does it record video internally or just do individual pics?  My NOX just does pics unless I hook up the little video dvr to it which is a hassle.
I’m also curious what the native magnification is on your unit.
/no homo

Yes, it takes internal video and audio.

This is an Iray Alpha. It has the same internals as an iray Rico Mk1 640, but has an updated housing, mount, and a few other changes. The base mag is 3x, which works for me, but might be too much for some.

The Rico also records audio, but it sucks. The alpha is supposed to be better, but I haven’t tested or seen anything to verify.

The halo x50 and x50 LRF also have on board video. All of the pulsar units do as well. There’s a lot to choose from.

Bering just released a 25mm 640core scope with 1.5x base mag, and it’s only $3,495. Great deal for a 640. Not sure about its recording capabilities. https://www.facebook.com/423690851062798/posts/4915549998543505/?d=n
  • Hook 'Em 1

@jofus  Yeah, I’ve researched just about all of them with the exception a a small few, your Alpha being one of them.  If I throw down coin for an additional unit it’ll most likely be the Halo XRF.

My NOX 35mm is a native 2.5 magnification, but there’s a few spots on the ranch where I have wished for just a bit more.  640 BAE core is always my deal breaker must have.

My NV rig is an ATN Night Sight HD II 5-20x mounted on a DPMS GII Hunter chambered in 7.62x51.  (IIRC, Cabo started with the same or similar ATN.)  Over the years, with this rig I’ve taken about 15 pigs at a friend’s place by Port Lavaca, but this post is about my first at my place in NE Texas.

My rig:

6096C4C0-BBEE-4B28-84D8-696B740EDFC1.thumb.jpeg.b7c576f7d3a61bbde54afd671a2a700c.jpeg

Home sweet home.  Feeder is at 180 yards.

2F34EFC9-FF6A-4D87-881C-10D0E9ABC03C.thumb.jpeg.b301c3a9bdbe9ce4adb329b166ab8ddc.jpeg

Bought an ATN OTS-XLT 160 2.5-10x for scanning:

10D71AE7-C53A-427A-BEA2-D7BEB8807D09.thumb.jpeg.e69116168c2917c5c123def3ba7add4b.jpeg

D2463F8F-A6D9-44D0-9D91-4C756323C3B9.thumb.jpeg.db8ebc877c19ff595d5d7393bf0378ac.jpeg

Used the thermal to spot the sounder coming in from the far fence line, about 300 yards.  White hot worked beautifully.  Switched to NV and bang:

DB1CB567-7CD2-4F5A-A792-2DAAB01616E7.thumb.jpeg.e64d80d2c2caec1f06cd360b139bc5b5.jpeg

No NV video because I was fumbling with my first use of the thermal and wanted to get the shot off; should have had shot-activated video on but I was off my game.  No thermal shots because I didn’t bother taking any photos - though the packaging was correct, inside was the 1-4x model, so I just returned it to Amazon and will pick up the correct model at the ATN store in Grapevine where I can ensure I get the correct model.

Really looking forward to using this set-up through the summer.

• Hook 'Em 3

14 hours ago, cabowabo said:

Man, this thread has really gone downhill.  I’ll try to get out in the next few days and post up video of some hogs getting whacked. Still pics of dogs and deer ain’t cutting it. 😀

No disagreement Hog Slayer.

Do Work!

Got my ass out of bed this morning at 1:45am and took out this boar.  Video is the full stalk.  Man, cell game cameras have really changed the game as far as hog hunting.  No way my 50 year old ass is sitting outside that feeder at 1:45am.  It was hard enough to get out of bed, put my britches on, and complete the task.  If he had showed up at the other feeder which requires a short ride in the side by side he is still alive today.  Anyway, I forgot how fun it is to shoot pigs with a bolt action if we're not talking about sounders.  Nice and quite even with a supersonic 300 blk round.  Used my AGM Rattler TS25-384 for this kill.  For $2k, it is a great thermal.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Had a buddy call and ask about if I still had a thermal.  Says he has a swine “problem” at his place near Rock Springs.  I answered in the affirmative and accepted an invitation to do something about it this weekend.  Then I asked, “You got a bunch out there?”.

This is what I got in response…

B08BD0C1-868F-410A-97C2-A735902382BB.jpeg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Finally got back in the kill column after a couple of unsuccessful outings with my Springfield Hellion.  Tonight, I went out with my trusty Tavor 7 and the old Hebrew Hammer got the job done.  I much prefer the hard hitting 308 round to 5.56, especially when shooting hogs.  Zero fucks were given by the deer in the vicinity.

Edited by cabowabo

On 5/7/2022 at 9:40 AM, cabowabo said:

Got my ass out of bed this morning at 1:45am and took out this boar.  Video is the full stalk.  Man, cell game cameras have really changed the game as far as hog hunting.  No way my 50 year old ass is sitting outside that feeder at 1:45am.  It was hard enough to get out of bed, put my britches on, and complete the task.  If he had showed up at the other feeder which requires a short ride in the side by side he is still alive today.  Anyway, I forgot how fun it is to shoot pigs with a bolt action if we're not talking about sounders.  Nice and quite even with a supersonic 300 blk round.  Used my AGM Rattler TS25-384 for this kill.  For $2k, it is a great thermal.

Cabo, came here to see if anyone was running this.  Long story short, a buddies wife asked me to find him a christmas present and this is where I landed.   I tried to get her to spend a little more money but this is where we landed.   Whats ypur biggest con with this unit?????

14 hours ago, Rholl said:

Cabo, came here to see if anyone was running this.  Long story short, a buddies wife asked me to find him a christmas present and this is where I landed.   I tried to get her to spend a little more money but this is where we landed.   Whats ypur biggest con with this unit?????

This scope is 1.5x, and I prefer 2x to 2.5x.  That’s the only thing I can think of. It’s a great scope. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/7/2022 at 11:06 AM, fluff said:

Without going back through everything, what is the best bang for the buck optic for shooting hogs at night?  Have a problem I need to remedy.

Not sure if anyone has mentioned it on this thread, but I use the AGM Rattler TS25-256. It is on the "lower" end of thermals at about $1200, but man, it is great. My buddy uses a Pulsar (not sure which model, but it is one of the lower end ones) and he swears mine looks better. The Rattler is small, easy to use and looks great. I will try and post some video here. 

On 11/8/2022 at 8:52 AM, fluff said:

Will a grand or 2 get anything worthwhile?  Wanting to start with something relatively inexpensive just to see where to go from there...

How is ATN? I noticed they just opened a store in the mall, is it worth giving them a look?

I have never used ATN, but I have heard don't waste your time from a few people. The price is nice on them but both former users had issues and they said customer service was bad. If you want a budget-friendly thermal look at AGM. Similar name, better product. Also the Bering Optics Hogster (Over $2,000) is good and their Stimulus is their cheapest one available at around $1500. I'd go with BO or AGM before I would ATN. But again, I have never used ATN products.