Thanksgiving Recipes

LW Goatman

22 minutes ago, squib said:

There was a Z-tejas tamale dressing recipe that was shared on ShaggyBevo that was truly fantastic. Someone dig that one up please. 

Jack Allen's Tamale Dressing

INGREDIENTS
1 ½ pounds corn bread (use your favorite recipe)
6 tablespoons butter
1 ½ cups onion, chopped
1 ½ cups red bell peppers, chopped
2 cups poblano [peppers], chopped
3 large jalapeños, stemmed, seeded, and chopped
1 tablespoon sage (fresh), chopped*
1 ½ tablespoons oregano (dried)
¾ cup cilantro (fresh), chopped
1 ½ cups corn chips, crushed
1 ½ cups corn kernels, can be frozen or fresh (but thaw out before baking)
1 dozen tamales, remove the shuck and chop into 1 inch pieces
3 cups chicken stock
1 ¼ cups cream style canned corn
*Note: The 1 tablespoon of chopped fresh sage can be substituted with 4 teaspoons of dried sage.

PREPARATION
Corn bread preparation: Melt the butter in large, heavy skillet over medium heat. Next, add the onions, bell peppers, poblanos, jalapeños, sage, and oregano into the mix. Begin to sauté until all of the vegetables are tender. Transfer this mixture to a large bowl containing the corn bread. Then, mix in cilantro, corn chips, kernel corn, cream style corn, and heated chicken stock. Add tamales at the end and do not break them up beforehand. Finally, add salt and pepper as needed to increase the overall taste. If the stuffing is considered too dry, just add a little melted butter until dryness leaves. Stuffing preparation: Pre-heat the oven to 325° and place the butter in a baking dish measuring 13 x 9 x 2 inches. Then, pour the mixture into the baking dish and cover the dish with foil. Next, bake the mixture approximately 45 minutes. Finally, remove the foil and bake for another 15 minutes until the stuffing has browned.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

2 hours ago, squib said:

There was a Z-tejas tamale dressing recipe that was shared on ShaggyBevo that was truly fantastic. Someone dig that one up please. 

http://www.shaggytexas.com/board/showthread.php/51510-jalapeno-tamale-dressing-(plus-!tail-bonus!)

was posted over there by @Bozo_Casanova

if you dont want to click on it, then:

Spoiler

First, we start with a sautee of some mustard seeds, cominos, a couple of japs, two poblanos, two red bells, an onion,a head of garlic, some celery, rosemary, thyme, and sage:

Now, lets mix that in with some stale cornbread and crushed tostadas

And add some creamed corn and frozen corn, too. Gross, you say? wait...

What, your grandma puts eggs in hers? Let's use goat cheese instead.

a couple of cups of chicken stock later, we have...glop

What about these tamales?

In you go

cover, bake for 45 mins at 325.

In the meantime, let's have a Headless Horseman!
Ginger ale, vodka, ice, bitters

bitters over ice, then vodka, top off with ginger ale.
Delicious!

After 45 mins, uncover!

Bake for another 20 mins at 400

Let's take a look...

Now we cover it back up, refrigerate overnight. Reheat at 350, covered, for 50 mins, and uncovered for 425 for 15.
Tomorrow we dine!

• Like 1

Thanks for tracking down that recipe. If you have never made it, you should. It is a great all-around side. Good for summer BBQs and church potlucks. It is damn good. Now that I think about it, it could be a main course if you were so inclined. I always double it and make a second pan to freeze. It reheats great. 

1 hour ago, Dr Fear said:

Anyone have a solid vanilla ice cream recipe? I got the machine a few months ago, but have only been making Alton Brown's chocolate (which is damn good).  I volunteered to make ice cream to go with pecan pie.

big fan of Bravetart's Double Vanilla Ice Cream

Double Vanilla Ice Cream:

Spoiler

Whether atop a warm brownie or in a dish on its own, nothing compares to a scoop of pure vanilla ice cream. My version is rich but light, as a slightly higher proportion of cream allows it to gain more air as it churns. Typically vanilla beans and extract are an either/or proposition, but working in tandem, they deliver an earthy yet aromatic flavor. All the more so when you choose a vanilla bean from Mexico, Tahiti, or Tonga to complement the distinctive taste of classic (Madagascar) vanilla extract. See photo on page 330.

YIELD: about 1 quart | ACTIVE TIME: about 30 minutes | DOWNTIME: 30-minute steep, plus 4-hour refrigeration

1¼ cups | 10 ounces heavy cream

1 cup | 8 ounces whole milk

1 vanilla bean

¾ cup plus 2 tablespoon | 6 ounces sugar

7 large egg yolks (shy ½ cup | 4½ ounces)

½ teaspoon Diamond Crystal kosher salt (half as much if iodized)

1 tablespoon vanilla extract, bourbon, or rum

Steep the dairy:

In a 3-quart stainless steel saucier, bring cream and milk to a simmer over medium heat. Split the vanilla bean lengthwise with a paring knife and add to dairy. When it begins to bubble, turn off the heat and cover tightly. Steep 30 minutes, or cool to room temperature and refrigerate for up to 24 hours.

Make the ice cream base:

Whisk sugar, yolks, and salt in a medium bowl. Return dairy to a simmer; remove the vanilla pod and reserve. Ladle ½ cup of hot dairy into the yolks, whisk to combine, then repeat with a second and third ladleful. Pour warmed eggs into the pot and cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly with a flexible spatula until steaming hot. Strain through a fine-mesh sieve into a large bowl. Stir in the vanilla extract and add vanilla bean. Cool to room temperature (using an ice bath, if you prefer) and refrigerate until very cold, at least 4 hours, or up to one week.

Finish the ice cream:

Scrape the flavorful pulp inside the vanilla pod back into the ice cream base and discard the pod. Churn according to the manufacturer’s directions until fluffy and light; if your machine has an open top, cover with an inverted cake pan to keep it cold as it churns. Meanwhile, place a flexible spatula and quart container (an empty yogurt tub works great) in the freezer.

Enjoy freshly churned ice cream as “soft serve,” or scrape it into the chilled container. Press a sheet of plastic against the ice cream to minimize risk of freezer burn, and seal the container. Freeze until firm enough to scoop, about 12 hours, or up to 3 weeks.

TROUBLESHOOTING

When ice cream fails to churn up light, the most likely culprits are an insufficiently chilled canister or imbalanced ingredients from simple mismeasurement, substitution, or mathematical errors when halving or doubling a recipe.

Is this safe for kids? Given that vanilla extract itself is 70 proof, replacing a single tablespoon with an equal amount of rum or Triple Sec won’t turn your ice cream into a Happy Hour special. Even if you grab a high-proof whiskey, 1/2 ounce divided among eight servings leaves mere drops to contend with. If you abstain from alcohol, simply omit the vanilla and/or liquor and let your ice cream stand for a few minutes at room temperature before scooping.

• Like 1

Well, if we're talking ice cream, my favorite local farm is selling cinnamon for the holidays, and it's my all-time favorite. Here's the recipe I pretend to follow when I make it at home (though I'm notorious for not actually following the recipe):

1 cup (250ml) whole milk
3/4 cup (150g) sugar
pinch of salt
10 cinnamon sticks broken up (in a mortar & pestle, or with a hammer in a ziptop bag)
2 cups (500ml) heavy cream
5 large egg yolks
ground cinnamon: optional

1. Heat the milk, sugar, salt, cinnamon sticks, and 1 cup (250ml) of the heavy cream together in a medium saucepan. Cover, remove from heat, and let steep 1 hour.
2. Rewarm the mixture and remove the cinnamon sticks with a slotted spoon.
3. Nest a medium-sized bowl in a larger bowl that’s partially filled with ice water, to create an ice bath. Set a mesh strainer over the medium bowl and pour the remaining cream into the medium bowl.
4. Whisk together the egg yolks in a small bowl and gradually add some of the warm cinnamon-infused milk to the yolks, whisking constantly. Scrape the warmed yolks back into the saucepan and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly and scraping the bottom with a heatproof spatula, until the custard thickens and coats the spatula.
5. Remove from heat and immediately pour the custard through the strainer into the cream. Stir the custard until cool, then chill thoroughly in the refrigerator, preferably overnight.
6. Taste the mixture before churning, and add a bit of ground cinnamon, if desired, then freeze the custard in your ice cream maker according to the manufacturer’s instructions.

• Like 3

Mine's memorized- I make a dozen or so batches every year.  Hand-crank ice cream maker.  This is for a 5-quart mixer, by the way.

Beat 5 eggs like they stole money from you.  Once they're foamy, add two cups of sugar, a teaspoon of salt and 4-5 Tablespoons of vanilla.  Mix, and then add a half-pint of heavy whipping cream, two quarts of half-and-half, and enough whole milk to fill your freezer.  

I have found over the years that good eggs and good vanilla make a big difference in taste.

1 hour ago, Walden Ponderer said:

Well, if we're talking ice cream, my favorite local farm is selling cinnamon for the holidays, and it's my all-time favorite. Here's the recipe I pretend to follow when I make it at home (though I'm notorious for not actually following the recipe):

where is this? because i love cinnamon ice cream.

1 hour ago, NoName said:

big fan of Bravetart's Double Vanilla Ice Cream

Double Vanilla Ice Cream:

Hide contents

Whether atop a warm brownie or in a dish on its own, nothing compares to a scoop of pure vanilla ice cream. My version is rich but light, as a slightly higher proportion of cream allows it to gain more air as it churns. Typically vanilla beans and extract are an either/or proposition, but working in tandem, they deliver an earthy yet aromatic flavor. All the more so when you choose a vanilla bean from Mexico, Tahiti, or Tonga to complement the distinctive taste of classic (Madagascar) vanilla extract. See photo on page 330.

YIELD: about 1 quart | ACTIVE TIME: about 30 minutes | DOWNTIME: 30-minute steep, plus 4-hour refrigeration

1¼ cups | 10 ounces heavy cream

1 cup | 8 ounces whole milk

1 vanilla bean

¾ cup plus 2 tablespoon | 6 ounces sugar

7 large egg yolks (shy ½ cup | 4½ ounces)

½ teaspoon Diamond Crystal kosher salt (half as much if iodized)

1 tablespoon vanilla extract, bourbon, or rum

Steep the dairy:

In a 3-quart stainless steel saucier, bring cream and milk to a simmer over medium heat. Split the vanilla bean lengthwise with a paring knife and add to dairy. When it begins to bubble, turn off the heat and cover tightly. Steep 30 minutes, or cool to room temperature and refrigerate for up to 24 hours.

Make the ice cream base:

Whisk sugar, yolks, and salt in a medium bowl. Return dairy to a simmer; remove the vanilla pod and reserve. Ladle ½ cup of hot dairy into the yolks, whisk to combine, then repeat with a second and third ladleful. Pour warmed eggs into the pot and cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly with a flexible spatula until steaming hot. Strain through a fine-mesh sieve into a large bowl. Stir in the vanilla extract and add vanilla bean. Cool to room temperature (using an ice bath, if you prefer) and refrigerate until very cold, at least 4 hours, or up to one week.

Finish the ice cream:

Scrape the flavorful pulp inside the vanilla pod back into the ice cream base and discard the pod. Churn according to the manufacturer’s directions until fluffy and light; if your machine has an open top, cover with an inverted cake pan to keep it cold as it churns. Meanwhile, place a flexible spatula and quart container (an empty yogurt tub works great) in the freezer.

Enjoy freshly churned ice cream as “soft serve,” or scrape it into the chilled container. Press a sheet of plastic against the ice cream to minimize risk of freezer burn, and seal the container. Freeze until firm enough to scoop, about 12 hours, or up to 3 weeks.

TROUBLESHOOTING

When ice cream fails to churn up light, the most likely culprits are an insufficiently chilled canister or imbalanced ingredients from simple mismeasurement, substitution, or mathematical errors when halving or doubling a recipe.

Is this safe for kids? Given that vanilla extract itself is 70 proof, replacing a single tablespoon with an equal amount of rum or Triple Sec won’t turn your ice cream into a Happy Hour special. Even if you grab a high-proof whiskey, 1/2 ounce divided among eight servings leaves mere drops to contend with. If you abstain from alcohol, simply omit the vanilla and/or liquor and let your ice cream stand for a few minutes at room temperature before scooping.

Perfect.  I will report back.

On 11/21/2019 at 12:39 PM, Walden Ponderer said:

Ha, your recipe looks very familiar. I see you have this book:

https://www.amazon.com/Perfect-Scoop-Revised-Updated-Accompaniments/dp/039958031X/ref=sr_1_2?crid=2AEP986UQAB35&keywords=ice+cream+recipe+book&qid=1574873369&s=books&sprefix=ice+cream+re%2Caps%2C157&sr=1-2

The book is great.  I make the custard last night and will churn the cinnamon ice cream tonight to go with the apple pies we're making.

Vi-dalia Onion casserole

10-12 large Vidalia onions sliced in to 1/8-1/4" rings

grill to softish, not totally grilled, in a pan of olive oil, butter, and salt and pepper

Melt 2 lbs of Swiss cheese and mix with 2 cans of cream of mushroom soup in the pan with the onions

ladle the cheese, soup and cooked onions into a large oven safe dish top with Italian bread crumbs

Cover and bake at 325 till the mix bubbles (usually about 30 minutes)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Baboontyme said:

Anyone have a good gravy recipe? I probably won't be collecting drippings, I usually cook hot enough that they burn up. I do have the innards and the neck.

i just brown then slow cook all of that and strip off the neck meat and cut up the heart, gizzard, etc.  make a roux, add chicken stock and the cut up pieces.  not as good as pan drippings but pretty solid. 

other than that, lots of typical stuff but mandatory family recipes i do every year:

-watergate salad

-grandma's yeast rolls (and tea ring for breakfast)

-oyster stuffing

yadda yadda

On 11/20/2019 at 2:15 PM, NoName said:

http://www.shaggytexas.com/board/showthread.php/51510-jalapeno-tamale-dressing-(plus-!tail-bonus!)

was posted over there by @Bozo_Casanova

if you dont want to click on it, then:

Hide contents

First, we start with a sautee of some mustard seeds, cominos, a couple of japs, two poblanos, two red bells, an onion,a head of garlic, some celery, rosemary, thyme, and sage:

Now, lets mix that in with some stale cornbread and crushed tostadas

And add some creamed corn and frozen corn, too. Gross, you say? wait...

What, your grandma puts eggs in hers? Let's use goat cheese instead.

a couple of cups of chicken stock later, we have...glop

What about these tamales?

In you go

cover, bake for 45 mins at 325.

In the meantime, let's have a Headless Horseman!
Ginger ale, vodka, ice, bitters

bitters over ice, then vodka, top off with ginger ale.
Delicious!

After 45 mins, uncover!

Bake for another 20 mins at 400

Let's take a look...

Now we cover it back up, refrigerate overnight. Reheat at 350, covered, for 50 mins, and uncovered for 425 for 15.
Tomorrow we dine!

Doing a couple of pans of this as a test batch for Christmas.  If it turns down, we vacuum seal and freeze the second pan.  If not, same result.

• 1 year later...

Ok, so Thanksgiving is going to be very different this year.  

The menu so far will be:

Brandy Apple Glazed Pheasant

Venison with Shallots and Cumin (the recipe does chops, but I am going to do a different cut I think)

Potatoes of some kind (Not sure what just yet)

Roasted Green Beans with Pancetta and Lemon Zest

Apple Cake

Dornfelder Kirschkuchen (Chocolate, cherry, and red wine tart)

I am sure there will be a pecan pie as well.  And trying to do another veggie and some bread.  

We do drinks at 5 PM and dinner at 7 PM.  

• Hook 'Em 1

19 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Ok, so Thanksgiving is going to be very different this year.  

The menu so far will be:

Brandy Apple Glazed Pheasant

Venison with Shallots and Cumin (the recipe does chops, but I am going to do a different cut I think)

Potatoes of some kind (Not sure what just yet)

Roasted Green Beans with Pancetta and Lemon Zest

Apple Cake

Dornfelder Kirschkuchen (Chocolate, cherry, and red wine tart)

I am sure there will be a pecan pie as well.  And trying to do another veggie and some bread.  

We do drinks at 5 PM and dinner at 7 PM.  

I’m not sure what venison cut you’re doing, but I did some shanks lightly smoked, then braised with onion and served over baked garlic cheese grits that were fantastic.   The leftover grits I posted in the steel shank thread.  

This bourbon/pecan/cornbread dressing is even better with some crumbled ground pork sausage or bacon (insert why not both gif here!) in it.

cornbread-1125x474.jpg

Toasted Cornbread-Pecan Dressing (or, Stuffing, for Yankees)

Ingredients

6 cups coarsely crumbled cornbread
3/4 cup pecans
1/4 pound bacon, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 cups finely chopped onions
3/4 cup finely chopped celery
1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves or 1 teaspoon dried

1 tablespoon minced fresh sage, or 1 teaspoon dried 
Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
4 tablespoons bourbon
1 cup chicken stock
1/2 cup minced flat leaf parsley

1. Heat over to 350F. Spread crumbled cornbread onto a baking sheet. Coarsely chop pecans and add to cornbread. Toast in oven for 25-30 minutes or until cornbread is golden, tossing the crumbs once or twice during toasting. Cool and place in a large mixing bowl.

2. Cook bacon over medium-high heat in a saute pan of skillet. Remove bacon with a slotted spoon to bowl with cornbread and pour off all but 1 tablespoon of drippings. Add butter and olive oil to skillet and when butter has melted add onion and saute for 5 minutes over medium heat. Add celery and saute another three minutes. Stir in thyme and sage and salt and pepper to taste. Add to cornbread.

3. Turn up heat under saute pan and add bourbon. Stir vigorously for 2 minutes with a wooden spoon, scraping the bottom of the pan. Add chicken stock, cook for 1 minute, and add mixture to bowl. Add parsley to bowl and adjust seasonings.

Makes about 10 cups, and it tastes even better if you make it the day before Thanksgiving and let it sit overnight.

https://www.theamericanconservative.com/dreher/worlds-best-cornbread-dressing/

Edited by DalTxHornFan
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2