Trivial things that make you surly

elfenix

12 minutes ago, nnm said:

I think I need a whole bottle of Valium just to deal with the claustrophobia induced by just looking at these pictures. I would need propofol to actually travel in them. 
https://www.google.com/amp/s/nypost.com/2022/06/15/double-decker-airplane-seats-could-make-flying-coach-hell/amp/
double-decker-airplane-seats-comp-2.thumb.jpg.c597b7c9ab21d0bd0778ecdcf1fb3901.jpg

I think you’ve just hit on a great business idea. If there was an onboard CRNA or anesthesiologist to administer propofol inflight, I would pay for that upgrade every time. Also a big win for the flight attendant’s union as they wouldn’t have to serve drinks and get abused by passengers.

4 minutes ago, Cheeseweasel said:

Would you like a Fart Smelling or Non Fart Smelling seat?

Aren’t they all fart smelling?

https://www.thesun.co.uk/travel/3381319/flight-attendants-fart-crop-dusting-planes?utm_source=native_share&utm_medium=sharebar_native&utm_campaign=sharebaramp

https://www.thesun.co.uk/travel/3595151/do-planes-fart-flying/

Edited by nnm
  • Like 1

Scattershooting while wondering why the fuck Popeye's no longer serves Cajun rice.

Yeah, take the one side you make that differentiates your secondary menu...and offer mac & cheese.

WTF people?

3 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

I get the sentiment, but what are folks supposed to do?

This. I hate it if there's an infant in the cabin with me (and I had one in fucking business class last year who wailed about 7 hours of an 11hr flight - flight crew came and apologized multiple times), but I also understand the political incorrectness of drugging the baby to sleep for the flight, like can be done with carryon animals. I bring earplugs.

2 minutes ago, Sam Lin said:

This. I hate it if there's an infant in the cabin with me (and I had one in fucking business class last year who wailed about 7 hours of an 11hr flight - flight crew came and apologized multiple times), but I also understand the political incorrectness of drugging the baby to sleep for the flight, like can be done with carryon animals. I bring earplugs.

Whenever we had a road trip or plane flight when our now-grown kids were young, they had to take their vitamins before departure. Yep, children’s Benadryl. Worked like a charm. 
They’re all fine now, not a druggie among them. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Parents who let their kids roam around the airplane without supervision…

Oh wait, that was my kid. On his first trip to Hawaii, he wandered down the aisle a few rows, smiling, waving and saying hi to the ladies. I’m 99% sure he went up to one and stroked her leg.

He’s a good looking kid with dimples, and I’m pretty sure when he’s older, more ladies would let him stroke their legs. 

• Haha 5

On 6/17/2022 at 9:05 AM, nnm said:

I think I need a whole bottle of Valium just to deal with the claustrophobia induced by just looking at these pictures. I would need propofol to actually travel in them. 
https://www.google.com/amp/s/nypost.com/2022/06/15/double-decker-airplane-seats-could-make-flying-coach-hell/amp/
double-decker-airplane-seats-comp-2.thumb.jpg.c597b7c9ab21d0bd0778ecdcf1fb3901.jpg

Spirit Airlines: "why you wasting all that real estate?"

Screenshot_20220622-003209_Chrome.jpg.59cab3dac185104621ff72d7f72a34eb.jpg

• Haha 5
  • Drool 1

On 6/17/2022 at 9:05 AM, nnm said:

I would honestly be okay with that if it was significantly cheaper, like half price, but it'll be like "wanna save five bucks?"

• Rage+1 1

19 minutes ago, elfenix said:

people who ask you how your weekend was just so that they can talk at you for 10 minutes about all the dumb pointless shit they did over their weekend. 

Sounds like someone has a case of the Mondays. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

5 hours ago, elfenix said:

people who ask you how your weekend was just so that they can talk at you for 10 minutes about all the dumb pointless shit they did over their weekend. 

When a superior who never talks to you asks, "How's your family?"

Bitch you don't care.  You can't even tell me what my kids do or what my wife's name is( insert surly comment here!)

It's like they read a book about "connecting with employees" written for people who need a fucking book for that shit...

22 hours ago, nnm said:

Whenever we had a road trip or plane flight when our now-grown kids were young, they had to take their vitamins before departure. Yep, children’s Benadryl. Worked like a charm. 
They’re all fine now, not a druggie among them. 

My mom admitted she did this alot with us growing up on trips. I make sure to bring it up when she says I smell like weed. Brother and sister don't smoke though

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

My mom, a nurse, used to give me Benadryl when I had trouble falling asleep back when I was about 5 years old. I don’t think there was such a thing as children’s Benadryl back then. If I brought it up to her now, I think she’d deny any memory of it. She has selective amnesia in her old age. 

17 hours ago, Superhero said:

When you split the check ___ ways, and end up paying for someone's 3 cocktails when you've only had a glass of water.

Uh, no.  If I have a pop or 3 or, say, order something expensive and one check comes for a multi-person table then I always make sure I’m beyond equitable by chipping in more. 

Likewise, I’ll call out Mr. 3 Martinis on piling up expensive stuff for himself and let him know to keep his wallet out until the bitter end.  Friggin cheapskate free loader trying to chop a big ticket. Don’t be a dick. 

• Hook 'Em 5

3 hours ago, deadshank said:

Uh, no.  If I have a pop or 3 or, say, order something expensive and one check comes for a multi-person table then I always make sure I’m beyond equitable by chipping in more. 

Likewise, I’ll call out Mr. 3 Martinis on piling up expensive stuff for himself and let him know to keep his wallet out until the bitter end.  Friggin cheapskate free loader trying to chop a big ticket. Don’t be a dick. 

Are you from Pittsburgh or something?  

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Okie State said:
21 hours ago, Superhero said:
When you split the check ___ ways, and end up paying for someone's 3 cocktails when you've only had a glass of water.

If there is any chance the check gets split you gotta up your drink game to match the rest of the table.

This.  They may not say it on record but every waiter hates separate checks because it just slows everything down.  How do I do it?  "Looks like I owe 80, you guys 70 each, etc" and then the table says "who gives a shit about 10 bucks, lets just divide it by 3"  Or we also just take turns paying and there's also this thing called Venmo.  No reason to put your waiter through separate checks "can you split the appetizer three ways too please."  Stop acting like a poor or start dining with friends you trust.  Actually even when I was a poor we didn't do separate checks.

So, next time you're dining out and wondering "where the heck is my waiter" it's probably because he's tending to a table of five separate checks where none of the parties remembered having that glass of merlot or that "what the Caesar salad is an upcharge?"  Then they each pay with a 100.00 bill and waiter has to make change for each of them, with the coins.

Edited by closetohumping
  • Like 3

13 hours ago, slorch said:

Bitch you don't care.  You can't even tell me what my kids do or what my wife's name is( insert surly comment here!)

It's like they read a book about "connecting with employees" written for people who need a fucking book for that shit...

Had this one manager do this and I hated his guts.  He didn't care, but he read some book about building rapport with your direct reports so it never sailes he'd open with "what'd you do this weekend?  Did it rain up there?"  It's like "bitch let's get to the pipeline>"

• Hook 'Em 1

Truth.

And it’s usually in some shallow social setting. I’ve always wanted to give a real answer: well I can’t get my got damn wife to stop chewing me out, I have to randomly drug test my daughter because she won’t stop smoking pot on her own and it’s not good for someone diagnosed with depression and add. My brother in law just got diagnosed with stage 4 lung cancer which has also spread to his brain. How about yours?

16 hours ago, slorch said:

Worse is when a meeting is about resolving some serious ongoing problem and they start in with a bunch of candy coated pleasantries. 

20 hours ago, closetohumping said:

This.  They may not say it on record but every waiter hates separate checks because it just slows everything down.  How do I do it?  "Looks like I owe 80, you guys 70 each, etc" and then the table says "who gives a shit about 10 bucks, lets just divide it by 3"  Or we also just take turns paying and there's also this thing called Venmo.  No reason to put your waiter through separate checks "can you split the appetizer three ways too please."  Stop acting like a poor or start dining with friends you trust.  Actually even when I was a poor we didn't do separate checks.

So, next time you're dining out and wondering "where the heck is my waiter" it's probably because he's tending to a table of five separate checks where none of the parties remembered having that glass of merlot or that "what the Caesar salad is an upcharge?"  Then they each pay with a 100.00 bill and waiter has to make change for each of them, with the coins.

not a fan of splitting checks, but honestly the real root problem behind this is (1) cash (2) central payment kiosk.

splitting checks is easy elsewhere in the world:  server carries handheld device that has table's order.  each person says what they had.  server taps the items directly on the device.  person taps their card to the device.  done.  receipt prints directly from device.

no reason for server to run back and from from the table to keep track of the order, reprint the bills, takes credit card to charge, and bring back the signature slips, etc.

the fact that venmo helps the split indicates the technical solution exists.  its just the restaurant are reluctant to adopt it.

Edited by 52-80
  • Hook 'Em 4

12 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

not a fan of splitting checks, but honestly the real root problem behind this is (1) cash (2) central payment kiosk.

splitting checks is easy elsewhere in the world:  server carries handheld device that has table's order.  each person says what they had.  server taps the items directly on the device.  person taps their card to the device.  done.  receipt prints directly from device.

no reason for server to run back and from from the table to keep track of the order, reprint the bills, takes credit card to charge, and bring back the signature slips, etc.

the fact that venmo helps the split indicates the technical solution exists.  its just the restaurant are reluctant to adopt it.

Good counterpoint.  I’ve seen some tableside kiosks But I only see those at places like Chilis and Red Robin I think?   

back in the day I’ve had tables that requested 15 separate checks.  

like I said it depends on the gathering.  There’s never been a setting where I’ve needed separate checks

Edited by closetohumping

36 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

back in the day I’ve had tables that requested 15 separate checks.  

To this day, I still see some sap go through the serving line at Luby’s and make anywhere from  5 - 10 individual and customized to-go orders and then proceed to the cashier and individually pay for each order one at a time.  

Close out order, pay, receive change, put change in an envelope. 

Pull out a different envelope, pay, receive change, put change in envelope. 

Dot dot dot

Hold up the entire line to slop some sounder of pigs in an office somewhere and give them their correct change.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 3

Dumb high school kids.

Neighbors behind us two doors down must be out of town because there was a really noisy kegger going on after 10:30 to midnight last night. Quite a ruckus when the Wilco sheriff’s deputies raided the place. Kids panicked and scattered like cockroaches, several of them climbing & vaulting over my back wood privacy fence and running through the side yards gates. Next door too. I dunno who called it in, but most of the surrounding houses heard it all, and the deputies Spent at least another hour until 1am looking all over with their flashlights. I went out and showed one of them the broken fence picket where some kid vaulted over, but wasn’t quite as athletic as the others. Coach Floreal doesn’t need to recruit him. Lol

The host must’ve been near the bottom of his class if he didn’t know the proper way to rubn a kegger without attracting attention to ruin it.

we didn’t get back to sleep until after 2am.

Edited by Armybrat
  • Rage+1 1

22 hours ago, closetohumping said:

I’m my college town everyone was broke and the restaurants had special buttons to charge 1/3 or 1/5 an order of cheese fries on each ticket to split orders. I knew some of the waiters, they were used to it, no big deal. The drinks were allocated by person, except for pitchers which could be split by percent. Not that hard, really. And in general they usually ask before hand if they’re separate tickets or all together. It’s only when you spring it on them at the end and ask for a perfect 4 way split or something that it becomes a pain. As a grown up with friends who all do fine income wise, yea it’s much easier and common for one person to pay, for me and the people I socialize with at least. As for the original post on the topic, even split with a non drinker, who does that? In my few experiences of that we were all pretty similar in our drinks.

Edited by 'stache

58 minutes ago, deadshank said:

To this day, I still see some sap go through the serving line at Luby’s and make anywhere from  5 - 10 individual and customized to-go orders and then proceed to the cashier and individually pay for each order one at a time.  

Close out order, pay, receive change, put change in an envelope. 

Pull out a different envelope, pay, receive change, put change in envelope. 

Dot dot dot

Hold up the entire line to slop some sounder of pigs in an office somewhere and give them their correct change.  

Precisely and then the 4 or five customers behind will blame the cashier because they're just not very aware.

36 minutes ago, 'stache said:

I’m my college town everyone was broke and the restaurants had special buttons to charge 1/3 or 1/5 an order of cheese fries on each ticket to split orders. I knew some of the waiters, they were used to it, no big deal. The drinks were allocated by person, except for pitchers which could be split by percent. Not that hard, really. And in general they usually ask before hand if they’re separate tickets or all together. It’s only when you spring it on them at the end and ask for a perfect 4 way split or something that it becomes a pain. As a grown up with friends who all do fine income wise, yea it’s much easier and common for one person to pay, for me and the people I socialize with at least. As for the original post on the topic, even split with a non drinker, who does that? In my few experiences of that we were all pretty similar in our drinks.

I don't necessarily mean an even split, but I don't or didn't hang with non drinkers.  But it was usually, "ok I had the freelet mignon, two glasses of wine, tip tax, I should be good at 60?"  Everyone I've hung out with overpays even if they were poor. Again, maybe it's who you run with but I'd shun anyone that doesn't step up when they had the lobster, 4 Mexican merlots.  I'd certainly call someone out if that happens.  These days we just play credit card roulette. 

Also depends on the system the restaurant uses.  But the split is one part, then doing the payments, tying up a terminal, neglecting your other patrons becomes a PITA.

I've worked in several restaurants.  I've never known servers who were happy about separate checks but they deal with it because it's their job.  

Edited by closetohumping
  • Like 1