Trivial things that make you surly

elfenix

On 7/5/2022 at 4:21 PM, Sandman said:

I just got a new VW GTI a couple of months ago and the cup holder situation is horrible. It has 2 spots but neither is actually round. The front one has a round arm that pops out to surround a drink but it's not at all secure. The rear one is square, which is dumb. Are the German's using square cans or something? Only drinking juice boxes? 

My theory on that:

Europeans, especially Germans, do not as a rule eat or drink in their cars. So European cars are designed without cupholders in mind, then they are just an afterthought (and therefore shittily designed and placed) when the car is adapted to American standards. This is probably changing or has changed as Europeans catch up to us in the lazy fatass arms race.

Anyway, you want an excess of glorious cupholders, buy a Ford.

On 7/6/2022 at 12:29 AM, WhatTheBuck said:

My grandma used to have a car, I can’t recall the year, make, or model, that had cup holders that would spring out from the front of the arm rest (which itself could be raised and lowered). They consisted of two circular rings with a single little plastic bar beneath each to hold your drink in place. They were side by side. It was the weirdest thing. I searched online but couldn’t find a photo of that contraption.

My 95 Tacoma has similar cupholders- you pull out this piece of plastic back toward you from the dash. It had two holes with a piece of plastic that hinged down underneath to support the cups when it was pulled out. Of course, a Jap truck built in 95 isn't an oversized, giant war machine, so there really isn't any room in the cab for cup holders in "normal' places.

Of course, then the drink blocks both the controls for the AC and the middle AC vents. And you can't change the CD.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, elfenix said:

i remember when you had to buy cupholders at the auto parts store and they fit into the space between the window and door

The truck I learned to drive in, a 1968 Dodge stepside, straight-six, 3-on-the-tree, had no radio, no A/C, and no sissy cup holders. You held your beer between your legs like a real man.  
19250AC5-17F2-4CA2-A8CC-2F3718A56147.jpeg.d32e4a7c8bc583d6d3b70a5898b1dadf.jpeg

D1F31379-706B-46FF-BBEA-AAB097390A7E.png.686c46560f8d206bd88c651942e4da04.png

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2
  • Drool 2

On 7/8/2022 at 9:24 AM, bluto said:

Buy em rock hard then wait on them to ripen and the fridge will keep em in that state for a solid 3 days

If you live nearby a store, i.e. not 30 miles from town or whatever; buy them the morning you plan on using them.  there are almost always ripe ones on top of the new ones they added to the bin that morning, that is, if they rotate like a good grocer does.

I’m passed dipshit jacked up, coal rolling, toolbox-less F250s and Ram 2500s that have never been off the pavement and have moved on to cast my derision on Dodge Challengers, Chevy Camaros and Ford Mustangs that treat every inch of hard top like their personal drag strip.  

Those guys are a scourge. 

• Hook 'Em 2

50 minutes ago, TheStoicPaisano said:

Hated fitting these shits around the window growing up, but they were good ad hoc hoops.

4B74F068-8B80-427F-BCFD-5871AB6DD2B0.jpeg

Except when you aren't paying attention and knock it off while making a right turn and the milkshake goes everywhere.

Edited by AUinHsv
  • Rage+1 2

Reason #2734 why Windows products are so shit:

My $300 Dell WD19 computer dock (from work), while its fed by a 200W power supply, refuses to power any accessory connected to it unless a laptop is hooked up and turned on. 

Fucking moron design. 

Shells left on the tails of shrimp served in a hot dish. I don’t care if it makes for a more attractive presentation. You’re asking me to dip my fingers into a hot sauce to remove the shells. Just remove them ahead of time.

I don’t mind peeling boiled crawfish. That’s expected. But I’ve never had crawfish étouffée with the shells on. Take the shells off. If the whole shell doesn’t need to be on then none of it needs to be on.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, deadshank said:

I’m passed dipshit jacked up, coal rolling, toolbox-less F250s and Ram 2500s that have never been off the pavement and have moved on to cast my derision on Dodge Challengers, Chevy Camaros and Ford Mustangs that treat every inch of hard top like their personal drag strip.  

Dead, you need to do better, be better. If you open your heart just a little, you’ll find the room to hate both groups. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Shells left on the tails of shrimp served in a hot dish. I don’t care if it makes for a more attractive presentation. You’re asking me to dip my fingers into a hot sauce to remove the shells. Just remove them ahead of time.

I don’t mind peeling boiled crawfish. That’s expected. But I’ve never had crawfish étouffée with the shells on. Take the shells off. If the whole shell doesn’t need to be on then none of it needs to be on.

Next time have your husband help you out... 

But yeah, totally agree with you.  Local Italian place has shrimp in a dish that would be much easier to eat sans tail.  

21 minutes ago, Underdog said:

But yeah, totally agree with you.  Local Italian place has shrimp in a dish that would be much easier to eat sans tail.

I’m dedicated to the principle that form follows function and leaving partial shells on in hot food just doesn’t make sense. I don’t need it to be pretty. Make the dining experience as efficient as possible.

The weirdos that eat the shrimp tails may be worse.

12 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

The most efficient way would be to put everything in a blender and serve it in a cup

No, that would make it a mousse. That’s a different dish and it has its place. But I’ve never had shrimp Pad Thai with the shells on. Maybe “pretty” was the wrong word. Maybe “fancy” would’ve been better. Shells off is pretty enough. And texture matters.

Reductio ad absurdum is a bad faith argument. ‘Ooh, maybe all of our meals should just be a blended slurry, that would be most efficient!’ Come on, man. Don’t be ridiculous.

• Haha 1

On 7/9/2022 at 10:55 AM, deadshank said:

There's a Mustang with god awful loud exhaust that hauls ass down 45th street every fucking morning while I'm walking my dogs around 6:45am.  I fucking hate that guy.

• Rage+1 2

Restuarants that stack all of the food in the middle of the plate.

A month or so ago I went to a nicer restuarant that I was told did a top notch chicken fried steak.  The chicken fried steak was served on a bed of mashed potatoes and was covered in white gravy and was topped off with grilled asparagus.  The problem with this was that the crunchy batter around the steak was all soggy so I could not enjoy the crunchiness of biting into a chicken fried steak.

The next time I went I ordered the chicken fried steak but instructed them that I wanted the steak and the potatoes to NOT be stacked and that I wanted the gravy in a bowl.

They told me that the kitchen was working on their "presentation" and that others had mentioned not stacking everything too.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 1

On 7/9/2022 at 8:19 AM, nnm said:

The truck I learned to drive in, a 1968 Dodge stepside, straight-six, 3-on-the-tree, had no radio, no A/C, and no sissy cup holders. You held your beer between your legs like a real man.  
19250AC5-17F2-4CA2-A8CC-2F3718A56147.jpeg.d32e4a7c8bc583d6d3b70a5898b1dadf.jpeg

D1F31379-706B-46FF-BBEA-AAB097390A7E.png.686c46560f8d206bd88c651942e4da04.png

My first ride was a 68 GMC, 3 on the tree, aftermarket 8 track, no A/C, Gumbo Wide Mudders on the back with razor blades on the front.  It had a massive pipe bumper no mailbox or reflector could stand up too.  Dad made a 2x12 bracket that could mount on it with a small seat and seat belt for hunting rabbits, because standing up in the back was too dangerous.  LOL.  Beautiful days.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Cheeseweasel said:

You food sat for so long that it's growing.

That’s the Royal Ossetra served at The French Laundry in Yountville, CA. Chef Thomas Keller used tweezers to place those greens there. The caviar sitting on top of brioche is not remotely similar to putting crispy food on top of mashed potatoes. The dry brioche isn’t ruining the caviar on top. And there’s nothing dry and crispy on top of the caviar to get sullied by it’s moisture. It’s a non-sequitur but an attractive dish.

The gap in the front doors at my office building. These doors were replaced twice during a recent remodel and no one decided to put anything that might fill the gap and keep the cold air in. Gap goes all the way around each door, in both sets.

6364c2b06e826ada9ce215cde633be13.jpg

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

9 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

That’s the Royal Ossetra served at The French Laundry in Yountville, CA. Chef Thomas Keller used tweezers to place those greens there. The caviar sitting on top of brioche is not remotely similar to putting crispy food on top of mashed potatoes. The dry brioche isn’t ruining the caviar on top. And there’s nothing dry and crispy on top of the caviar to get sullied by it’s moisture. It’s a non-sequitur but an attractive dish.

Have you been there?

I'm sure there's been mention of this in this thread, but my god nothing makes me more worked up then when you enter a password, the app tells you it's the wrong password, and then when you go to change the password you try using said password and the app informs you that you can't use the same password twice in a row.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 2

23 hours ago, elfenix said:

The gap in the front doors at my office building. These doors were replaced twice during a recent remodel and no one decided to put anything that might fill the gap and keep the cold air in. Gap goes all the way around each door, in both sets.

6364c2b06e826ada9ce215cde633be13.jpg

That's what you get for leasing space at the Woopway Tower. 

People who wait in line to order at a fast food restaurant but fail to make up their fucking minds while waiting despite having several minutes to do so.  Oh, so the 5 minutes you were waiting didn't afford you enough time to figure out what the fuck you want?  So now you need to dick around another 2-3 minutes at the counter before finally placing your order?  Yeah, fuck you.

And while I'm at it, don't fucking act surprised when the cashier asks that you actually, ya know, make a payment when you're done ordering.  Have your wallet or your phone or whatever ready to fucking go.  Some idiot in front of me last week spent forever digging through her purse to find her credit card despite having all the time in the world to get it ready when she was standing in line waiting.  Drives me nuts.   

• Hook 'Em 4