Trivial things that make you surly

elfenix

Fire ants make me surly. Pics below are a small sampling of the approx 50 bites I got while replacing sprinkler heads in my yard  9D20DE85-86BE-40F2-967D-079B661EFFCA.thumb.jpeg.841a3f4b92a2198075924447bb403a83.jpegBAB71F0D-AB1E-49A6-9C2A-58BD16FC0FDD.thumb.jpeg.15741bb7a475eb44f3228f79a6ceaacf.jpeg

https://www.texasmonthly.com/travel/fire-ants-from-hell/

That article was from 1988, about 6 years after I first learned about fire ants. 34 years later, here we are. 

Edited by nnm

17 minutes ago, nnm said:

I wish. Would be more pleasant than fire ants. 

"Things I don't miss from living in SE Texas" for $500, Alex.

My posit for the thread today:

Nails/ screws in a parking lot, see also: gum on the sidewalk/ parking lot.

Fuck you people who don't give a fuck about others, and may you burn in hell.

On 7/23/2022 at 3:38 PM, 52-80 said:

people referring to all/any parts of the netherlands as holland

George: What is Holland?

Jerry: What do you mean, 'what is it?' It's a country right next to Belgium.

George: No, that's the Netherlands.

Jerry: Holland *is* the Netherlands.

George: Then who are the Dutch?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Cheeseweasel said:

George: What is Holland?

Jerry: What do you mean, 'what is it?' It's a country right next to Belgium.

George: No, that's the Netherlands.

Jerry: Holland *is* the Netherlands.

George: Then who are the Dutch?

There are two things I can’t stand in the world: People who are intolerant of other people’s cultures, and the Dutch.

• Like 1

Fire ants make me surly. Pics below are a small sampling of the approx 50 bites I got while replacing sprinkler heads in my yard  9D20DE85-86BE-40F2-967D-079B661EFFCA.thumb.jpeg.841a3f4b92a2198075924447bb403a83.jpegBAB71F0D-AB1E-49A6-9C2A-58BD16FC0FDD.thumb.jpeg.15741bb7a475eb44f3228f79a6ceaacf.jpeg

That article was from 1988, about 6 years after I first learned about fire ants. 34 years later, here we are. 

Apply vinegar right after being bit. Greatly reduces swelling so you don't scare women and children with your hideous swollen hands.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, DaysOff said:

I'm stranded at Dulles for 4 hours and it appears the place only sells Pepsi products. Did Gym Jordan take over operations? Did I enter an Ohio wormhole? No wonder our government doesn't function.

Ohio State only sells Coke products in its sports and entertainment facilities. 

These twitchy, herky-jerky MFers that shake their legs up and down while sitting at a bar or at a table.  Looks like they’re working double kick drums like a Neil Peart Double Live at Budokan drum solo.   

Settle down already.  No wonder your parents beat you. 

• Hook 'Em 2

29 minutes ago, deadshank said:

These twitchy, herky-jerky MFers that shake their legs up and down while sitting at a bar or at a table.  Looks like they’re working double kick drums like a Neil Peart Double Live at Budokan drum solo.   

Settle down already.  No wonder your parents beat you. 

I was in a beach side bar in Oceanside with some other Marines and a guy came in, sat down, then started twitching his legs like frog legs in a hot pan.  I wondered two things: what is he on, and how many of John Wesley Hardin's victims just happened to do that around him and that set him off?  Wierd and annoying.

• Hook 'Em 1

23 minutes ago, Underdog said:

The fuck kind of places do you patronize?  

Was minding my own business having lunch today at Hughie’s and the electro-shock therapy world record holder came in and got a full plyometric leg workout in right next to me. 

• Haha 4

Post a follow-up melanoma removal surgery, doctor wants to extend antibiotic use from 1 week to 2 weeks. Insurance denies the pharmacy request to fill a 2nd time as they just recently filled... have to wait 10 days before they will approve again.  Pharmacists says he has coupon and can pay cash if I want. 

Don't know what I'm more surly about:

1) insurance denying an antibiotic prescription (why on earth would you think this was a good idea for you as a medical insurance company)

2) paying cash it was $3....  ("with" insurance it was $10 for me)

3) so insurance was actually denying a <$3 antibiotic prescription... and one they actually profit on??? just why??

• Rage+1 3

5 hours ago, 52-80 said:

Driving on 2-lane roads when the motherfucker going in opposite direction is basically kissing the centerline. 

Just did a trip to Scotland. Driving left hand stick was a trip.  Driving left hand stick, in the rain, on country roads barely wide enough for two cars was ass puckering.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Incredulity said:

Just did a trip to Scotland. Driving left hand stick was a trip.  Driving left hand stick, in the rain, on country roads barely wide enough for two cars was ass puckering.

I have traveled a lot in my career.  I can and have driven in other countries on 5 continents, but if there is any alternative, I’ll take it. If at all possible, I avoid driving in other countries, particularly left hand road countries. The risks are just too high of making some small mistake and having big consequences. 

Every country, every state, every city, has its idiotic driving. The difference in driving in your home area is that you’re aware of and can anticipate most of the unwritten craziness and goofy traffic behavior. When you’re in another country, you don’t have that comfort and it’s really easy to just overlook something. Most of the time that’s not a big deal, but it only takes one slip to have a big problem. 

1 minute ago, nnm said:

I have traveled a lot in my career.  I can and have driven in other countries on 5 continents, but if there is any alternative, I’ll take it. If at all possible, I avoid driving in other countries, particularly left hand road countries. The risks are just too high of making some small mistake and having big consequences. 

Every country, every state, every city, has its idiotic driving. The difference in driving in your home area is that you’re aware of and can anticipate most of the unwritten craziness and goofy traffic behavior. When you’re in another country, you don’t have that comfort and it’s really easy to just overlook something. Most of the time that’s not a big deal, but it only takes one slip to have a big problem. 

agreed.

My intention was to utilize Scotrail.  However it is currently embroiled in a labor dispute so that wasn't a practical option.

I could not get used to coming around a blind corner and seeing a couple cars coming at me in the right lane.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Incredulity said:

Last time I drove on the left side of the road it was $2/day to upgrade to an automatic.  This was pre-covid rental car madness, so probably more than that now, but it felt like the prudent choice for the sake of my wife’s (and therefore, my) sanity.

2 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

Last time I drove on the left side of the road it was $2/day to upgrade to an automatic.  This was pre-covid rental car madness, so probably more than that now, but it felt like the prudent choice for the sake of my wife’s (and therefore, my) sanity.

The reservation system only offered manual.  When I arrived they asked if I would like to upgrade to automatic.  For the very reasonable price of an additional 98 pounds per day.  More than doubling the daily rate.  I declined.

15 minutes ago, Incredulity said:

The reservation system only offered manual.  When I arrived they asked if I would like to upgrade to automatic.  For the very reasonable price of an additional 98 pounds per day.  More than doubling the daily rate.  I declined.

Mine went from$10 to $12.  Or $12 to $14.  Something like that.  The vehicle sat in the hotel parking lot for the duration of the trip because the wife was so terrified During the 45 minutes it took us to get from the airport to the hotel that she refused to get in the car again.  I think her heart rate went up 25% every time I tried to use my blinker and  turned on the wipers instead.  Yay Uber!

• Haha 1

On 7/24/2022 at 11:30 AM, nnm said:

This week the fire ant bites are much better. 
However, this week it is poison oak that makes me surly. This weekend, when I continued to replace sprinkler heads and repair sprinkler lines in my yard (one week after the fire ants above), I did not see the poison oak until the rash started a day later. It’s only gotten worse in the last 3 days. On steroid cream now. 
Both hands and wrists look like this. And feel like they’re on fire.

AC89EB00-79D7-40AC-BDFD-E903B319A3BF.thumb.jpeg.0130f85ab5c13904845f8aef15dce3e1.jpeg

If you are a museum or attraction that has guided tours, don't make people with severe speech impediments be the speaking tour guide. I didn't pay money to come not understand 75% of the shit someone is trying to teach me. I'm all for being inclusive but let them do something else. It would be like making an old person with bad knees a trekking guide.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1