Trivial things that make you surly

elfenix

11 hours ago, Jameslaw121 said:

Got this a couple of weeks ago. Seems to last 2+ months. So it's pretty rare that we have throw it out. d05024546dcc9a2c29e57b8344848412.jpg1b6f1d3bd6f4446377cb772d8174a306.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk

You obviously don’t have teenage boys in the house. Mine’s grown now, but when he was here, having buddies over, a gallon of milk would last 2 days, max. My brother and I used to go through a gallon I a day I think. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, nnm said:

You obviously don’t have teenage boys in the house. Mine’s grown now, but when he was here, having buddies over, a gallon of milk would last 2 days, max. My brother and I used to go through a gallon I a day I think. 

Oh you're damn right. I have a 25 year old so I remember those days. Currently, 3 and 9 year olds. We're in that in between stage with milk, Old enough to not drink much, young enough to not go through 5 boxes of cereal in a setting. Right now, milk is mostly used for cooking

• Like 1

I was on GOMAD during 8th and 9th grade. Probably a 3L of coke every other day on top of that.
  • Like 1

On 9/18/2022 at 12:29 PM, Superhero said:

Bought some uh... toys from an online store, and now the ads are following me everywhere.

Nothing like reading AP News and getting an ad for a vibrator...

How many other sites do I have to visit before I can let my kids use my computer again?.

2 weeks later, I've dumped all my cookies and browsing history, and the ads are still showing up but not as frequent. What's pissing me off is it's showing up on my work computer as well. I really don't know how to shake them off my tail. Any suggestions?

2 weeks later, I've dumped all my cookies and browsing history, and the ads are still showing up but not as frequent. What's pissing me off is it's showing up on my work computer as well. I really don't know how to shake them off my tail. Any suggestions?
Do you use your work computer on the same network as your personal? They are cross referencing your digital footprint on these devices. Even using a VPN doesn't always work. These ads are becoming much more invasive as time goes on.

If you are using Windows, go into your privacy settings and see if an option is checked called Let apps use my advertising ID for experiences across apps.
  • Hook 'Em 1

We switched to getting organic milk. The expiration dates are like 2-3 months. 

It’s not that it’s organic. It’s because it’s UHT ultra high temp pasteurized milk. It gives refrigerated milk an unopened shelf life of like 2 months. It’s also the process that allows for room temperature shelf stable milk with really long expiration dates.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Just put your laptop in a drill press and drill a few holes through it. Then get a new laptop.

1 hour ago, Vic Mackey said:

Do you use your work computer on the same network as your personal? They are cross referencing your digital footprint on these devices. Even using a VPN doesn't always work. These ads are becoming much more invasive as time goes on.

If you are using Windows, go into your privacy settings and see if an option is checked called Let apps use my advertising ID for experiences across apps.

Yes, I work from home once in a while, on the same network as my personal computer.

I just turned off all the privacy options. Going to do it on my work computer. Hopefully that works. Thanks.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

It’s not that it’s organic. It’s because it’s UHT ultra high temp pasteurized milk. It gives refrigerated milk an unopened shelf life of like 2 months. It’s also the process that allows for room temperature shelf stable milk with really long expiration dates.

I did not know that. The More You Know gif

2 hours ago, Underdog said:

Grocery stores who stock their shelves in this manner… 

005B3FB9-D3E7-40E4-AAB0-667099251B0C.thumb.jpeg.cd4cb0fa5453734dd7c38f0cf366a959.jpeg

of course the yogurt I want is top shelf and in the very back…. GDit, Shaq wouldn’t be able to reach it.  

If it makes you feel any better, there are few items in the entire store that are more of a PITA than the yogurts to merchandise decently.  Looks like with all of the packaging innovation, a solution could be found... but then again, who's gonna pay for THAT?

2 hours ago, shakahorn said:

Excel's inabilty to keep anything in its 'copy' buffer beyond a single command.  Copy, insert a row, oops, need to copy again.  Copy, format a different cell, oops need to copy again.  20 years ago I could understand this, today, just maddening.

The way that you idiot STEM and finance guys try to use Excel for everything makes me surly.

It’s good for spreadsheets. I get it. 

But don’t use Excel for agendas, lists, or any other text-based purpose. There are lots of programs that are specifically created for managing and editing text. Excel is horrific for that purpose. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Neighbor behind me we share a driveway with has been running a science experiment for a month now.  Wife set this water jug out by their garage door.  Husband said the jug had a leak.  

Apparently a very small leak.  

I do admire his tenacity in not picking it up but he won’t wear her down to the point where she picks it up. 

C527E340-BE40-4D15-872E-13B63C0E8AA1.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1

On 10/2/2022 at 12:19 AM, CooterBrown said:

which is also at least part of the reason it tastes a bit different.  the stuff in tetrapak has a noticeable burnt sugar (lactose) flavor from the UHT process, in my experience (though that was 20 years ago and maybe it's improved since then). 

some people are oblivious or indifferent to the concept of messaging priority and notifications.

we use the MS Yammer message board at work.  by default, posts you make appear silently.  certain posts you can amplify such that it gets pushed to everyones Notifications, Yammer inboxes, or worse, to their Emails.

so now i get random emails updating me about somebody having held a fucking meeting, or congratulatory message about their team completing a fitness challenge or other mundane shit.

2 hours ago, 52-80 said:

some people are oblivious or indifferent to the concept of messaging priority and notifications.

we use the MS Yammer message board at work.  by default, posts you make appear silently.  certain posts you can amplify such that it gets pushed to everyones Notifications, Yammer inboxes, or worse, to their Emails.

so now i get random emails updating me about somebody having held a fucking meeting, or congratulatory message about their team completing a fitness challenge or other mundane shit.

One of the companies I used to work for used Yammer.  It was also a Norwegian company.  There's a great quote from the Ibsen play Peer Gynt which completely describes Yammer (roughly translation):

“whether I am being hammered, or am hammering, there will be yammering”  (”Om jeg hamrer eller hamres, like fullt skal der jamres“).

• Rage+1 1

On 9/30/2022 at 7:11 AM, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Wearing 100% polyester hoodies/zip ups/whatever and the instant you step outside they smell like old sweat

1 cup of white vinegar in your loads with the synthetics. I dont know why it works but it does. No more funk. 

• Like 1

Hey FOX Sports. You don’t have to host your Big Noon Kickoff show at the same site as your Big Noon Saturday game every week. This is your third week in a row at the site of a Michigan game. And in Bloomington, IN? The Hoosiers lost to Nebraska last week. Nobody cares about this game.

College GameDay has been known to visit sites where ESPN isn’t covering the game. While they’re in Lawrence, why not go to Dallas for the RRS?

• Hook 'Em 1

God damnit. 2 more coworkers quit. One was for family reasons which I understand. The other is an exec for us. Him and I get along well even though he’s got an Eeyore, glass half empty, complains a lot personality. He gave good notice to our boss since he reports to her directly.

I know he’s been grumbling for a while and I’ve been his advocate to get him a bigger raise, better car, better bonus, etc. A lot of his woes are driven by his own decisions but he somehow blames the company. I don’t know if he’ll be happy anywhere, but he does good work and I need him in light of us losing people a lot of people since June (our company turnover is around 20%!!!)

Our division president called him and said he wouldn’t accept his resignation. They’re friends as well, so not sure how that’s going to go down.

Anyway, I found out that that are offering him $190k base. I told my boss that that’s more than I make, and she mentioned that management has been proactively looking at adjusting my salary. I’ll believe it when I see a bigger paycheck. 

• Like 1
  • Drool 1