Trivial things that make you surly

elfenix

Back to the subject of dumb people on game shows. This isn’t really even surly-making so much as it is just mind bogglingly stupid.

On Family Feud last night. Family A won the first two rounds then got a third strike on round 3. Family B has a chance to steal and force sudden death if they can name one of the two answers left. The whole family gets to debate their answer together.

The question: “Other than the bouquet, name something a bride who was left standing at the altar might throw.”

Their answer: “The bouquet.”

• Haha 3

17 hours ago, Sam Lin said:

Battery swell failures are not trivial and make me absolutely enraged. Charge logic is completely controlled by the mfg, yet they cannot keep batteries from getting into conditions where they swell? It's not a Dell thing, I've swelled more batteries than I can count across all sorts of devices.

Without fail, my devices get retired/unusable due to battery swell. Not due to other hardware failure, not due to performance getting outdated, just due to fucking battery failure.

At least many newer devices allow you to limit battery charge. Aggravating that most of them don't allow you to set your own desired charge threshold, only allowing you to use their preset (Samsung is 85%, Lenovo tablet is 60%, Surface is 50%). But much better than being stuck with 100%.

Recently I learned of Chargie, an inline USB charge limiter that works with an app on the device to allow any device to limit charge. It also works with 'dumb' devices that can't run the app, by sensing charge current and cutting off at some user-settable threshold of charge. I bought a few of them to try, and am pleasantly surprised with how easy they are to set up and use, and yet how much micro-control you can do in detail if you want to nerd out as a power user. I use one for my iPhone as iPhone does not provide a built-in way to limit charge at all. Chargie.org

Note that with modern battery tech, the longest battery lifespan will come at 50% charge.

Warning, lots of pics in spoiler. These are all my own photos of my own failed devices. Fuck this stupidity.

Hide contents

353451233_lgbattery.thumb.JPG.3458a0c30717a3751003a47a3a3f3b52.JPG

163385592_dellbattery2.thumb.JPG.28693fd7af7db6eef49ac80c6091e8c9.JPG

235515109_tabletbattery.thumb.jpg.d585db641fc390bb8641a2d93bc5fc38.jpg

2079707209_surfacebattery2.thumb.jpg.02e7227475cc4def95fec2a74d8a5d98.jpg

441986403_jumppackbattery.thumb.jpg.3386c6a932137c6c068fbc73cc70ec24.jpg

1186497027_phonebatteries.thumb.jpg.87bbd3656ce9b993d66d28497560411e.jpg

374674906_phonebatteries2.thumb.jpg.483decd6e6e4b251b0591da1f5632379.jpg

510964380_surfacebattery.thumb.jpg.7238da6ca65726c6e78bcc23c7dd8b5f.jpg

1733263665_dellbattery.thumb.JPG.f69b2cbe22991fe3aa3a5f0bf38f66cc.JPG

239341286_acerbattery.thumb.jpg.05e8464dbd27eb879930d1e0dd6985f8.jpg

1321944475_htcbattery.thumb.jpg.ba88847011518f7110c6129e50fd8b71.jpg

that's pretty serious. my laptop bulged but not that bad.  battery performance WAS abysmal though.  part of it is windows' power drain on suspend, which burns through battery cycle.  ive had this on personal lenovos, huaweis, and generations of corporate dell where the software *should* be locked down tight -- damn thing will blast full fan with the lid closed like its mining cryptocurrency.  (powercfg shows all sorts of shit waking itself from standby)

the iphone is supposed to have a smart charge routine that limits itself to 80% until used, but mine always runs to 100%

Recently I learned of Chargie, an inline USB charge limiter that works with an app on the device to allow any device to limit charge. It also works with 'dumb' devices that can't run the app, by sensing charge current and cutting off at some user-settable threshold of charge. I bought a few of them to try, and am pleasantly surprised with how easy they are to set up and use, and yet how much micro-control you can do in detail if you want to nerd out as a power user. I use one for my iPhone as iPhone does not provide a built-in way to limit charge at all. Chargie.org

I've been using a charge alarm on Android for years to limit my charging to whatever percent I set (I have to manually unplug but whatever). Similar programs are available for iPhone, but iPhone's aggressive program management kills the app all the time so, at minimum, you need to enable it each time you plug in in my experience.

3 hours ago, 52-80 said:

the iphone is supposed to have a smart charge routine that limits itself to 80% until used, but mine always runs to 100%

The charge protect function on iPhone aims only to minimize time at 100%. It learns your charge/usage patterns, and will hold the phone at 80% charge for most of the charging period, and then run it to 100 only when it expects you to unplug it.

11 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

Yep. KFC is the Chick Fil A of the fried chicken world.

Popeyes, Churchs and Williams are going to be found much more in the lesser income areas.

KFC used to be somewhat good, but the last few times I've had it has been really, really bad. The meat is overcooked and the bones turn into some mush. The workers at KFC don't give a shit about their work and their customers. You can't say the same about the people at Chick-Fil-A.

There are a few Filipino and Korean fried chicken restaurants near me. Their chicken is >>>>>> KFC.

• Hook 'Em 2

On 11/5/2022 at 2:23 PM, Tom said:

Popeye's is overrated on this board.  

If I'm eating fast food chicken, I'm probably not going to either place, but original recipe > anything Popeye's does.  

I like Popeyes but screw them, I'll never spend another dime at that over priced shithole.

2 weeks ago Mrs. Shooter asked me to bringer a 3 piece chicken strip meal with mashed potatoes and Cole slaw, $19.48! Yes I'll say it again Fuckem!

I like Popeyes but screw them, I'll never spend another dime at that over priced shithole.
2 weeks ago Mrs. Shooter asked me to bringer a 3 piece chicken strip meal with mashed potatoes and Cole slaw, $19.48! Yes I'll say it again Fuckem!

You thinking other places are different?

3 hours ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

For fried chicken you can’t beat the $8.99 eight piece mixed from the Randall’s deli.  Add some some fried okra from the deli and some Bob Evans mashed taters and you have a great Sunday lunch for the gang.

Bob Evans Mac & Cheese instead, and you have my go-to meal at Brookshire Brothers. 

5 hours ago, SHOOTER12 said:

4 hours ago, tbone_ said:

You thinking other places are different?

For a three-tender combo?  Yes.  Unless prices in Austin or wherever y'all are is double that of DFW.  $20 for fast food is unreal.  I can go to most sit-down restaurants and pay less than that.  I feel ripped off paying $10 for fast food at most places.

Shooter, are you sure you didn't actually get charged the wrong amount and legitimately ripped off?

34 minutes ago, Tom said:

For a three-tender combo?  Yes.  Unless prices in Austin or wherever y'all are is double that of DFW.  $20 for fast food is unreal.  I can go to most sit-down restaurants and pay less than that.  I feel ripped off paying $10 for fast food at most places.

Shooter, are you sure you didn't actually get charged the wrong amount and legitimately ripped off?

I checked the receipt, other than being ridiculously high,, everything was right.

On 11/6/2022 at 4:51 PM, NeverMarryAStripper said:

For fried chicken you can’t beat the $8.99 eight piece mixed from the Randall’s deli.  Add some some fried okra from the deli and some Bob Evans mashed taters and you have a great Sunday lunch for the gang.

Agreed. Seems like the chicken from the Deli at Kroger or Market Street near me is what KFC was in the 90's 

On 11/6/2022 at 4:44 PM, SHOOTER12 said:

My local Popeyes sells chicken wings for $2.00 per wing. It’s like selling single cigarettes back in the day. 

• Haha 1