Trivial things that make you surly

elfenix

1 hour ago, Blotto said:

I must have been distracted by yoga pants, because the box of Topo Chico I picked up at HEB the other day appears to be those pussy-ass 6.5 oz bottles. What the hell is the point of those fucking things? I am more surly than I should be about this. 

I use those for cocktails.

• Hook 'Em 3

I must have been distracted by yoga pants, because the box of Topo Chico I picked up at HEB the other day appears to be those pussy-ass 6.5 oz bottles. What the hell is the point of those fucking things? I am more surly than I should be about this. 

I switched to the HEB 1877 Mineral Water. Tiniest bit saltier than Topo, but I’m actually liking it better. Sourced and bottled in Mineral Wells. Cheaper doesn’t hurt.
  • Like 1

This is pretty damn trivial so I think it qualifies. 
I hate that ESPN.com has been listing men and women’s college basketball score intermixed.  I don’t follow really closely but I like to scan the scores.  I don’t like to review scores then look at whether it’s the men’s or women’s score to decide how much of a shit I give.  Sorry, but people care about women’s and men’s basketball to a different degree.  

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

10 hours ago, Lhorn said:

This is pretty damn trivial so I think it qualifies. 
I hate that ESPN.com has been listing men and women’s college basketball score intermixed.  I don’t follow really closely but I like to scan the scores.  I don’t like to review scores then look at whether it’s the men’s or women’s score to decide how much of a shit I give.  Sorry, but people care about women’s and men’s basketball to a different degree.  

I hate when they mix volleyball/basketball/etc during football season. 

Holy shit, Vandy is beating Alabama?

Oh fuck, that's a volleyball score.

• Hook 'Em 3

i'm surly that i didn't go with 25-18.  that was my first thought for unlikely football but likely volleyball score, but thought 19 would be even more unlikely.  also, prime number.

then checked scorigami.  7 NFL games have ended 25-19. no NFL games have ended 25-18.

Edited by elfenix

1 minute ago, elfenix said:

i'm surly that i didn't go with 25-18.  that was my first thought for unlikely football but likely volleyball score, but thought 19 would be even more unlikely.  also, prime number.

then checked scorigami.  7 NFL games ended 25-19. no NFL games ended 25-18.

Cowboys have the 18 down pat.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Okie State said:
21 minutes ago, Brothahorn said:
Centerpoint trying to sell me gas line insurance. When did this new racket start? Da fuq do I need gas line insurance for?

I like how it was my 'last chance!' about 85 notices ago. Fuck them.

They just installed new gas lines all the way up to my house including a new meter and then sent me that letter about gas line insurance.

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

10 minutes ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

You want to cook this recipe?  Good luck scrolling through 68 paragraphs of my AIDS infested page to get there. 

Agreed.  It's more and more now.  I'm like "Where the fuck are the actual ingredients?  Oh here they are, after 8 pages of scrolling ads..."

12 minutes ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

You want to cook this recipe?  Good luck scrolling through 68 paragraphs of my AIDS infested page to get there. 

Those are two separate issues. First, I hate having to scroll past someone’s life story to get to the recipe. I don’t care about your mom or your childhood or your vacation where you discovered this dish. I’ve already heard about the dish and I’m looking for a recipe. I don’t care how you first learned about it or when you like to eat it or what your friends thought about it when you made it for them. The better sites include a link to scroll you past all that and straight to the recipe.

Second, fuck the pop up ads. I’m not even looking at those pages. I’m backing out as soon as I see them. Those sites are off limits.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Brothahorn said:

Centerpoint trying to sell me gas line insurance. When did this new racket start? Da fuq do I need gas line insurance for?

You know anything they push that hard is a fucking racket.  If they would just give me the gas line insurance and stop sending me shit trying to get me to buy it, I think they would actually save money.

• Like 1

On 1/16/2023 at 2:46 PM, Superhero said:

Will try to keep this as apolitical as possible, so here goes.

Wyoming is an ass backward state that is under the thumb of lobbyists. The want to ban electric car sales by 2035.

Wyoming lobbyists want to ban sales of electric vehicles

It's just as dumb as California trying to only sell EVs. 

I'm not sure why you'd want one in WY anyway. They apparently don't do well in the cold. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

a guy i worked with a few years ago (who my wife even remembers because he was a PM who would always fucking call me out of the blue and I complained about him a lot) is hitting me up on linkedin wanting to connect on the phone. "Hey man, have a few minutes to explain what you're up to over at <insert celery man employer>." I'm not going to not give this guy half an hour of time because.... whatever, it is good to stay connected to people and maybe someday etc. But I am 99% positive this guy has some kind of pitch for me and I wish he'd just fucking give it so I could say nah dude stay well

a guy i worked with a few years ago (who my wife even remembers because he was a PM who would always fucking call me out of the blue and I complained about him a lot) is hitting me up on linkedin wanting to connect on the phone. "Hey man, have a few minutes to explain what you're up to over at ." I'm not going to not give this guy half an hour of time because.... whatever, it is good to stay connected to people and maybe someday etc. But I am 99% positive this guy has some kind of pitch for me and I wish he'd just fucking give it so I could say nah dude stay well
He's for sure in a pyramid scheme setup he wants to drag you into...
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

My asshole BIL that moved to Kentucky 13 months ago and insists we call Louisville “Loo a vll”. I keep telling him it’s named after King Louis, not Loua. BTW he’s super proud to tell me about his wife and her fake ass Louis Vuittan purses she’s into selling at the flea market, so I know it’s not some speech impediment he’s suddenly picked up.

I don’t follow this thread so forgive me if this has been covered, but aren’t the home teams always on the bottom?  I’ve noticed recently that google’s team listings now for matchups are not following this rule all the time and it fucking annoys me.  or is this not a rule and I’ve been imagining it my whole life?

742A4C99-CD42-4B4E-8176-F10404DA9751.png

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Celery Man said:

a guy i worked with a few years ago (who my wife even remembers because he was a PM who would always fucking call me out of the blue and I complained about him a lot) is hitting me up on linkedin wanting to connect on the phone. "Hey man, have a few minutes to explain what you're up to over at <insert celery man employer>." I'm not going to not give this guy half an hour of time because.... whatever, it is good to stay connected to people and maybe someday etc. But I am 99% positive this guy has some kind of pitch for me and I wish he'd just fucking give it so I could say nah dude stay well

Amw_Logo_AG_Site.jpg

51 minutes ago, futureman said:

I don’t follow this thread so forgive me if this has been covered, but aren’t the home teams always on the bottom?  I’ve noticed recently that google’s team listings now for matchups are not following this rule all the time and it fucking annoys me.  or is this not a rule and I’ve been imagining it my whole life?

742A4C99-CD42-4B4E-8176-F10404DA9751.png

Absolutely. It should be Team A AT Team B. That’s the convention. Always has been. Freaking Google nerds. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

3 hours ago, GoPokes83 said:

My asshole BIL that moved to Kentucky 13 months ago and insists we call Louisville “Loo a vll”. I keep telling him it’s named after King Louis, not Loua. BTW he’s super proud to tell me about his wife and her fake ass Louis Vuittan purses she’s into selling at the flea market, so I know it’s not some speech impediment he’s suddenly picked up.

Loo-a-vul 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, GoPokes83 said:

Not much into local dialects are you?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Superhero said:

Today is Chinese New Year’s Eve. I ordered a Peking duck this afternoon for pickup at 5:15. We got here at 5:30 and they say it won’t be ready until 6:00. It’s a madhouse.

Rookie mistake. I should have ordered it ASAP, picked it up and reheated it. 

Order it a day ahead. 

The fickleness of power charging over USB makes me more than surly. 

I’ve had every piece of that ecosystem fail, from the wall charger to usb hub to usb cable to usb adapters to just the device itself (eg laptop) fail to charge or charge adequately.

Latest episode is buying a new computer monitor, and I specifically paid more money on a higher-end monitor (Samsung Viewfinity S8) to get USB-C passthrough charging and USB-A connectivity to reduce the rats nest on my desktop. 

The charging that is rated at 90W, the shit work Dell only detects as 65W; and the other USB-A port requires that the monitor be on (why? its permanently connected to the wall), or sometimes dont work at all. 

Fuck it all. 

• Like 3
  • Rage+1 2

4 hours ago, 52-80 said:

The fickleness of power charging over USB makes me more than surly. 

I’ve had every piece of that ecosystem fail, from the wall charger to usb hub to usb cable to usb adapters to just the device itself (eg laptop) fail to charge or charge adequately.

Latest episode is buying a new computer monitor, and I specifically paid more money on a higher-end monitor (Samsung Viewfinity S8) to get USB-C passthrough charging and USB-A connectivity to reduce the rats nest on my desktop. 

The charging that is rated at 90W, the shit work Dell only detects as 65W; and the other USB-A port requires that the monitor be on (why? its permanently connected to the wall), or sometimes dont work at all. 

Fuck it all. 

very annoyed when the replacement monitor dell sent me cut off the power to its USB hub when i turned the monitor off.  external hard drives?  off.  usb sound card?  off. 

is your work dell's regular power supply 90W?  if the brick is only 65W (common) i can see why it'd only draw 65 from USB.  that's what it's handshaking for. doesn't matter that the charger is capable of 4.5A when it's only being asked for 3.25A, which is how this works. 

Edited by elfenix

9 hours ago, elfenix said:

is your work dell's regular power supply 90W?  if the brick is only 65W (common) i can see why it'd only draw 65 from USB.  that's what it's handshaking for. doesn't matter that the charger is capable of 4.5A when it's only being asked for 3.25A, which is how this works. 

The dell (“mobile workstation”) has a 180w brick. On boot the BIOS warns that the detected source is only 65w and “may not charge”. 

Batexpert software shows input wattage fluctuating from zero up to 30w or so.  

Macbook Air with low power demand shows the same thing. Would be good if it could atleast provide a *steady power* while the laptop charging, as if using the OEM charger.