Trivial things that make you surly

elfenix

45 minutes ago, PvilleStang said:

The lovely lady who insists on double parking her dually at daycare, and sitting in the parking lot on the phone for 20 minutes idling, all the while filling the playground with diesel fumes.  I drove a diesel for 4 years, and knew DAMN well you can shut it down and restart it without causing detrimental damage.

Solved:

banana-in-the-tailpipe.thumb.jpg.0acb52286b601012e6a9e7948d8ba087.jpg

• Haha 1

On 2/16/2023 at 3:07 AM, 52-80 said:

The fact that the Superbowl insists on using roman numerals in its name. 

Motherfucker I aint trying to translate numbers when you tell me michael jackson performed at SB XXVII. 

In fact, drop the number, just use the calendar year. Who the fuck knows when 27 was?

It's easy. The Superbowl Number is always the same as my age. So just use that.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, gofuckyourself said:

Dealerships that not only put their branded license plates on the car but also put decal/stickers/whatever the fuck on the back before giving it to me. Fuck off with your free advertising attempts.

The first thing I do when I buy a car is to remove all those dealer decals, emblems, license plates, etc. I just paid you an ungodly amount of money for a rapidly depreciating asset. The hell if I’m going to advertise for you too. 

• Hook 'Em 6

Agreed,  a few years ago we bought a car from Carmax. It's was going to be the wife's car.  (No pics you degenerates) I had mentioned to her that I don't like those stickers on a car.  Before we closed the deal,  she told them straight up to remove the sticker or we were not going to take the car.  When they finished the prep,  the sticker was gone.  

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3

When I bought my truck, I signed a page that effectively said if I left the dealership sticker on then I would get free car washes for life. There was an RFID tag on the windshield that got me into their on premise car wash.

The consequence for removing their sticker was a limit on free car washes to a total of 20.

First thing I did was scrape off the decal from the back window, and the free car washes continued for 4 years until I eventually had the windshield replaced which removed the RFID.

We both knew they had no cost effective way to limit the quantity.

• Like 2

Agreed,  a few years ago we bought a car from Carmax. It's was going to be the wife's car.  (No pics you degenerates) I had mentioned to her that I don't like those stickers on a car.  Before we closed the deal,  she told them straight up to remove the sticker or we were not going to take the car.  When they finished the prep,  the sticker was gone.  

I tell the dealership/sales person, what an amazing coincidence, my advertising subscription rate for your dealership on my car is almost the same as your quote for my monthly payment!
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

I can’t drink decaf (I stopped drinking regular coffee several years ago for neuro reasons) without my heart rate going bonkers.

I’m starting to notice the same with alcohol. A beer with dinner last night made my heart feel like shit. This sucks because I like having a beer after a long day, sipping on some whisky and having an occasional glass of wine with dinner.

• Like 1

On 2/10/2023 at 7:08 AM, nnm said:

We are members of several wine clubs which ship periodically through the year. We now live way out in the sticks in ETX. The deliveries require signature, which means that one of us must be stay at the house all day on the delivery days, waiting for FedEx/ups/USPS guy to show. I think I’m done with that nonsense. 

We had the same issue (in laws subscribe us every year as an anniversary gift), and after about 10 tries with nobody home, they finally gave up and just starting leaving them.

6 hours ago, Superhero said:

I can’t drink decaf (I stopped drinking regular coffee several years ago for neuro reasons) without my heart rate going bonkers.

I’m starting to notice the same with alcohol. A beer with dinner last night made my heart feel like shit. This sucks because I like having a beer after a long day, sipping on some whisky and having an occasional glass of wine with dinner.

I’m fine with two cups of coffee in the morning, but no more caffeine for the rest of the day. And although I love a cold beer, or a really nice whisky (I have a nice amateur collection), or a glass or two of wine with dinner, I’ve gotten to the point where I can’t have any alcohol at all. It absolutely wrecks my sleep. 

I don't think this really makes me "surly", more I just don't get it.

I've noticed more and more over the last few years, every time I park in a large parking lot, especially at the grocery store, I look around as I'm walking and notice about 1/3 of the parked vehicles have someone sitting in them, fucking with their phones or napping or something.

Is this Uber/Doordash drivers just killing time until next trip? Couples with a single vehicle between them and one doesn't want to go in? Marginally homeless?

On 3/21/2023 at 1:44 PM, Superhero said:

The alcohol thing is how I found out that I was starting to have heart problems many years ago.  Ĵust one night out of the blue I had 2 margaritas at a Mexican restaurant and holy crap, started getting flutters and heart palpitations.  Never had any problems with caffeine up to that point.

Edited by SHOOTER12

When you buy a box of crunchy taco shells and half of them are already broken.

And a corollary — Ortega stopped selling just the large crunchy taco shells by themselves. At least from what I’ve seen. Now they come in a box divided half-n-half between crunchy and soft. Their crunchy taco shells came in a firm plastic tray that was sealed with a flexible plastic cover and preserved the shells better. Old El Paso sells a box of 10 “grande” shells but they’re enclosed in shrink wrap and, the first time I tried them, the top 2 were broken on top and the bottom 3 were broken on the bottom.

Maybe you enjoy a wider selection of shells but those are the only options I have. This sucks.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

And a corollary — Ortega stopped selling just the large crunchy taco shells by themselves. At least from what I’ve seen. Now they come in a box divided half-n-half between crunchy and soft. Their crunchy taco shells came in a firm plastic tray that was sealed with a flexible plastic cover and preserved the shells better. Old El Paso sells a box of 10 “grande” shells but they’re enclosed in shrink wrap and, the first time I tried them, the top 2 were broken on top and the bottom 3 were broken on the bottom.
Maybe you enjoy a wider selection of shells but those are the only options I have. This sucks.

There’s a wall of bullshit before you get to the actual recipe (another thing that makes me surly!) but here’s how to make your own taco shells. Looks pretty simple.

https://www.slenderkitchen.com/recipe/oven-baked-taco-shells

On 3/22/2023 at 12:15 PM, Storm the Field said:

I've noticed more and more over the last few years, every time I park in a large parking lot, especially at the grocery store, I look around as I'm walking and notice about 1/3 of the parked vehicles have someone sitting in them, fucking with their phones or napping or something.

Is this Uber/Doordash drivers just killing time until next trip? Couples with a single vehicle between them and one doesn't want to go in? Marginally homeless?

Those dicks don’t suck themselves, ya know?

On 3/22/2023 at 12:15 PM, Storm the Field said:

When we have kids with us, usually only one of us will go into the store. Makes life a little easier. And when I'm driving around DFW for work, grocery parking lots are an easy place for me to pull over and check my emails and stuff.

On 3/23/2023 at 2:59 PM, WhatTheBuck said:

Fuck a bunch of prepackaged taco shells, it's easy as hell to make them fresh and they don't taste like freaking cardboard.

20 hours ago, GoPokes83 said:

There’s a wall of bullshit before you get to the actual recipe (another thing that makes me surly!) but here’s how to make your own taco shells. Looks pretty simple.

...and that sucks too. Large frying pan, hot grease, voila you've got it.

54 minutes ago, SHOOTER12 said:

...and that sucks too. Large frying pan, hot grease, voila you've got it.

Yeah, I’m not going to mess with all that. You left out the tortillas themselves and a form of some sort to let them cool on otherwise I’ll end up with tostadas. I’m not hosting a dinner party. It’s just for me and that’s too much hassle. One pan with tin foil,  6-7 minutes in the oven, and the prepackaged shells are ready to go. There’s no cleanup.

I’m not trying to be fancy. I’m using a seasoning packet for the meat, iceberg lettuce, and prepackaged shredded sharp cheddar cheese. Either I find large Ortega shells by themselves, switch back to the small size, or just buy soft tortillas and make burritos. I haven’t done that in ages anyway so maybe it’s time for a change. 

• Like 1

The stories the women authors write on their recipe pages before you get to the actual recipe I believe I’ve brought up in this very thread before
  • Like 3

16 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

The stories the women authors write on their recipe pages before you get to the actual recipe I believe I’ve brought up in this very thread before

I share the same universal frustration, but this is not a "women authors" thing - it's a Google thing. 

Screenshot_20230325_133915_Chrome.thumb.jpg.cca2b4a3af0dd1c83d3857fa46f1cede.jpg

https://onezero.medium.com/war-peace-bacon-eggs-understanding-the-endless-recipe-site-preamble-a890b3c55ad

• Like 2